Analysis: Now is the time to buy Apple stock

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 151
    jag_warriorjag_warrior Posts: 177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Meh. Easy with Fidelity. Fee per trade is $7.95. I only spend what I can afford to lose - and I have a recent history of losing, unfortunately.

Nothing at all wrong with that way of thinking.

• Reply 142 of 151
    bizzlebizzle Posts: 66member

I just wanted to post a thank you to the article author for getting me involved back into the market. Ten years ago I incorrectly concluded that the market couldn't go anywhere but up and I took my meager savings account of $5,000 dollars and invested into an IRA mutual fund. After about nine years of ignoring it because it wasn't even over the principal amount it finally grew by a pitiful couple hundred dollars. By contrast, if I had purchased apple then I would have been sitting on at a minimum of $90,000. If I had not been so disillusioned with the market I would have not ignored Apple even a few years ago nor would I have given my mother poor advice regarding Google when she asked me what I thought of it ("nah, only the insiders make money so even though it's going to grow it's not something I'd recommend worrying about").

In any case, the point is that I read this article and started thinking: if I'm going to be involved in investments why don't I have my money follow something I follow all the time anyway...technology and especially a strong company like Apple that I already believe in? I checked the prices and they were at 530. Unfortunately I didn't know how the market works and I didn't get around to calling my bank's financial advisor until a few minutes before 1pm PST on Friday. He told me to come in Monday morning.

I did, sold my mutual fund, and bought as many Apple shares as I could. Well, unfortunately the price had risen to $553 while we were discussing my plans and I could only purchase 9.

Then I took the remainder of my $350 dollars and invested in another company attached to these devices that I think is going to grow and am patiently waiting to see if I've done the right thing.

Anyway, just wanted to put it out there. Kinda in response to Jasen's comment that he only invests in what he can afford in that some of us have situations where a few hundred dollars can make a significant impact in our lives. In my case, I'll be graduating with my phd in criminology this summer at 37 after a fairly difficult and impoverished life, so it's a little embarrassing to have such a tiny investment portfolio but hopefully in the coming years (provided I am hired somewhere with a decent enough salary) this will just be water under the bridge.

Just posting for posterity in the event that the stock does rise to $750 or splits or any good thing that will make a fairly significant impact on my life and to say hello to the community.

• Reply 143 of 151
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizzle View Post

I just wanted to post a thank you to the article author for getting me involved back into the market. Ten years ago I incorrectly concluded that the market couldn't go anywhere but up and I took my meager savings account of $5,000 dollars and invested into an IRA mutual fund. After about nine years of ignoring it because it wasn't even over the principal amount it finally grew by a pitiful couple hundred dollars. By contrast, if I had purchased apple then I would have been sitting on at a minimum of $90,000. If I had not been so disillusioned with the market I would have not ignored Apple even a few years ago nor would I have given my mother poor advice regarding Google when she asked me what I thought of it ("nah, only the insiders make money so even though it's going to grow it's not something I'd recommend worrying about").

In any case, the point is that I read this article and started thinking: if I'm going to be involved in investments why don't I have my money follow something I follow all the time anyway...technology and especially a strong company like Apple that I already believe in? I checked the prices and they were at 530. Unfortunately I didn't know how the market works and I didn't get around to calling my bank's financial advisor until a few minutes before 1pm PST on Friday. He told me to come in Monday morning.

I did, sold my mutual fund, and bought as many Apple shares as I could. Well, unfortunately the price had risen to $553 while we were discussing my plans and I could only purchase 9.

Then I took the remainder of my $350 dollars and invested in another company attached to these devices that I think is going to grow and am patiently waiting to see if I've done the right thing.

Anyway, just wanted to put it out there. Kinda in response to Jasen's comment that he only invests in what he can afford in that some of us have situations where a few hundred dollars can make a significant impact in our lives. In my case, I'll be graduating with my phd in criminology this summer at 37 after a fairly difficult and impoverished life, so it's a little embarrassing to have such a tiny investment portfolio but hopefully in the coming years (provided I am hired somewhere with a decent enough salary) this will just be water under the bridge.

Just posting for posterity in the event that the stock does rise to $750 or splits or any good thing that will make a fairly significant impact on my life and to say hello to the community.

Hello, and wise move investing in a great company with such solid fundamentals, not to mention a stock so undervalued, it's practically trading for its cash value 3-4 years from now, assuming even less than ideal growth. Being that you already are used to putting money aside and not paying attention to the day to day trader nonsense, check back in a couple of years and by allowing Apple's finest to work for you, you should see a nice surprise.

• Reply 144 of 151
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Hello, and wise move investing in a great company with such solid fundamentals, not to mention a stock so undervalued, it's practically trading for its cash value 3-4 years from now, assuming even less than ideal growth. Being that you already are used to putting money aside and not paying attention to the day to day trader nonsense, check back in a couple of years and by allowing Apple's finest to work for you, you should see a nice surprise.

Yikes.  Don't check in "in a couple years."  There's a lot of money at stake here, and nobody can see the future.  Keep a close eye on the company who you trust with your investments!  No company lasts forever!

Disclosure: Long Apple

• Reply 145 of 151

Of course, lol. I just was using that as an example as he said he hadn't checked his 401K in a couple of years. 

• Reply 146 of 151

Quote:

Of course, lol. I just was using that as an example as he said he hadn't checked his 401K in a couple of years. 

Not checking in on a mutual fund is a hell of a lot less risky than not checking in on a single stock that gets its profits in large part based on style, which can change in a blink.

Best advice?  Don't take anyone's advice who you can only read as text on the internet. Do your own research and figure out why Apple is a good investment FOR YOUR GOALS and some other company isn't.  No one will disagree that Apple at $100 was a great investment in hindsight, but at $500 there is a lot less room for growth (by definition) than there was 3 years ago.  There are going to be MANY other stocks that gain more in the next 3 years than Apple does, the hard part is finding them.

• Reply 147 of 151

Thanks for the opinions.

My takeaway from the whole thing has been the fact that this site, the information I read on it, and my own personal interests that led me to read about these kinds of information every day already can be intertwined into creating a portfolio that I can manage myself rather than having someone I don't know manage my investment in things I don't know about. Overall I became disillusioned with the market and disconnected with my money, which is a sad state of affairs when I think that and what it could have meant going forward.

In some sense, the money was already lost to me so whether Apple performs as well as this article suggests it might is secondary to the larger gain I already have experienced--becoming more agentic within this market structure. There's a certain level of personal enrichment and feeling of ownership when I can research things that I enjoy reading and learning about and then compiling some companies that interest me and asking my financial advisor what he thinks of them...and then using my own knowledge buttressed with his expertise and finalizing my investment choices.

I think I've written this correctly.

That said, of course it's exciting and bonus that I've already made about as much in less than a week than I did the last decade. And equally saddening that I didn't know enough of how the market works to call in at a time where I could have bought in at a more advantageous time. Had that been the case I would have made triple the gains already. But that's why I wrote that even a hundred or two hundred dollars actually impacted me more than one might realize due to my particular economic situation. At this point, the gains are real but also just as or moreso they're also symbolic.

• Reply 148 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Not checking in on a mutual fund is a hell of a lot less risky than not checking in on a single stock that gets its profits in large part based on style, which can change in a blink.

Best advice?  Don't take anyone's advice who you can only read as text on the internet. Do your own research and figure out why Apple is a good investment FOR YOUR GOALS and some other company isn't.  No one will disagree that Apple at $100 was a great investment in hindsight, but at $500 there is a lot less room for growth (by definition) than there was 3 years ago.  There are going to be MANY other stocks that gain more in the next 3 years than Apple does, the hard part is finding them.

You must not remember how Wall Street has treated AAPL correctly. There has been "not enough room for continued growth/topped out" since well before it passed $100.... the same was said at $200.... then $300.... then $400.... and will be said by those naysayers all the way up to $1,000 and beyond, until one day, they may finally get their "aha!" moment.... all the while the "Bulls" have "aha'd!" constantly.

Apple has actually grown more this year than it has in the past, WHILE its market cap has soared. The stock is already priced for little growth, at a Forward P/E of under 9, and less minus cash. One thing people don't realize is in the long term, all AAPL can do is surprise on the upside, as the downside is already technically priced in and assumed (as it always has been).

IMO, the Facebook fiasco will help get AAPL to a higher valuation, as people start to focus on valuation, and Apple gets more people seeing it as what it is: A solid, fundamentally sound, reliable company with a bomb shelter of reserves built in, in the case that they need to engage in a code red situation.

• Reply 149 of 151

Apologies for posting off topic but I've been searching for the forum for the past few hours and I can't find a comparison or recommendation for OSX analyst software.

Would someone please either PM or post recommendations and/or links to relevant discussions?

• Reply 150 of 151

Quote:

You must not remember how Wall Street has treated AAPL correctly. There has been "not enough room for continued growth/topped out" since well before it passed $100.... the same was said at $200.... then $300.... then $400.... and will be said by those naysayers all the way up to $1,000 and beyond, until one day, they may finally get their "aha!" moment.... all the while the "Bulls" have "aha'd!" constantly.

Apple has actually grown more this year than it has in the past, WHILE its market cap has soared. The stock is already priced for little growth, at a Forward P/E of under 9, and less minus cash. One thing people don't realize is in the long term, all AAPL can do is surprise on the upside, as the downside is already technically priced in and assumed (as it always has been).

IMO, the Facebook fiasco will help get AAPL to a higher valuation, as people start to focus on valuation, and Apple gets more people seeing it as what it is: A solid, fundamentally sound, reliable company with a bomb shelter of reserves built in, in the case that they need to engage in a code red situation.

I've been there, I've owned the stock for essentially the whole time from 86 to current.  You're looking at it wrong though - it's not that the "naysayers" will eventually get lucky and be right.  The stock goes up and up and up until eventually it's fairly valued.  At that point I wouldn't want to be the one being told by a stranger on the internet to sink all my life savings into it.  Apple won't be a 10 trillion dollar company.  At some point between now and 2050 it will hit a wall, go out of fashion, see a brain drain as all the executives retire with their billion in savings, etc.  No company lasts forever.  Apple is not immune to the laws of business.

Apple's reserves will do it NO good as far a stock.  Can you imagine?  Apple starts losing money?  Do you think anyone is going to say "oh gee that's OK because it's just spending down cash instead of having to sell off assets".,  No, the cash is not a support for the stock in any way, unless you are looking for protection from 100% decline.  The first 80% will be quick, if Apple starts burning its cash.

I think it's foolish, after seeing Apple live in the PE range of 10-20 for the past 5 years, to suggest that that's going to change.  So you have to bank on earnings growth for price growth.  Right now that looks rosey, but it won't last forever.

Disclosure: Long Apple (but not with my eyes closed)

• Reply 151 of 151

WWDC is next week. AAPL has a reputation of going down right after announcements but then skyrocketing when a few days after. Buy now if you're going to buy.