New part numbers reveal Apple to refresh most of Mac lineup at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

omg! i hope this is true..... I have been waiting for a new Mac Pro for over a year now....

+1

This is indeed great news, if true. Maybe Apple hasn't abandoned us graphics professionals, after all.

• Reply 42 of 131
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    eksodos wrote: »
    I agree 100%. I just ordered a new Mac Pro this morning. I can't wait for it to arrive.

You have to be kidding! There is possibly a whole new generation Mac Pro in the wings, literally days away and you can't wait? Especially with respect to the Pro a wait is highly suggested at this point.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

An iMac should be wired to a switch, using WiFi for a desktop is so backwards as to defy description.

Thinking that is so backwards as to defy description. Do you expect people to wire their houses with Cat6?

The last computer we used that was physically connected to anything coming out of a wall was our iMac DV.

• Reply 44 of 131
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thinking that is so backwards as to defy description. Do you expect people to wire their houses with Cat6?

The last computer we used that was physically connected to anything coming out of a wall was our iMac DV.

New houses are completely wired - at least around here they are.

• Reply 45 of 131
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member

If you saw Swan jumping with glee over the latest GDP numbers you'd have an idea why the goodies are headed straight to Oz.

• Reply 46 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

well not around here  - east coast USA. You can get it wired as an option - by the time you figure out exactly where you want the ports, which room, which wall, and then paid the man $2000+ for the work - 

oh yeah - i hope apple leaves out the wifi /s

• Reply 47 of 131
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

This makes no sense at all. An iMac should be wired to a switch, using WiFi for a desktop is so backwards as to defy description.

As to keyboards I'm hoping something happens there also. The current keyboards are a bit pathetic.

Yeah, iMacs should be, but they sometimes aren't.  My iMac sits right next to my Time Capsule, but I'm too lazy to find an ethernet cable!

Totally agree about the current keyboards.  I put up with a keyboard like that on a laptop, because it's a laptop and needs to be portable, but at my desk I want something better.  Currently using a Microsoft keyboard that I'm actually delighted with.

• Reply 48 of 131
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

This makes no sense at all. An iMac should be wired to a switch, using WiFi for a desktop is so backwards as to defy description.

As to keyboards I'm hoping something happens there also. The current keyboards are a bit pathetic.

I haven't used the wired ports on my routers since 2005, except when I was having to do initial setup on a new router.  I don't think most people are using their ethernet ports these days either.  I'm actually using the wired Apple keyboard so I could have teh 10 key.  Only issue is Apple has the math symbols in different spots.  Not a fan of the super tiny wireless keyboard.

• Reply 49 of 131
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anyone know what the "standalone kits" are or have any guesses?  The only thing that come to mind are upgrades to the existing Mac Pros, but Thunderbolt upgrades don't make any sense and there are too many to be just graphic cards aren't there?  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

Looking at the prices in the right column, I'm gonna call BS on the Mac Pro part numbers.  I'm guessing that the digits we see are the thousands, and $2xxx and $3xxx are too much to be anything but the Mac Pro.  This would mean two off-the-shelf models, anything else is a build-to-order choice.

K31 is less than $1000 AUS, so I'm guessing Mac Mini.

The Jxx's are obviously MacBooks, I'm speculating:

J11/J13 are 11" and 13" MacBook Airs, to be called plain "MacBook"s now, two models each - they'll start under $1000 in the US but in Australia they'll start just over $1000

J30/J31 are 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, of course redesigned to be thinner and look more like the Airs - priced from the mid $1xxx to the low $2xxx

This leaves K5B as three models of iMac.

Still struggling to figure out why so many "standalone kits"... all I can think is that they're doing something really off the wall and want to debut their own accessories a la smart cover.

Based on the low prices of the standalone kits, I think they are probably a way to add faster WiFi to existing hardware -- either chip replacement or externally connected new WiFi.

It is kinda kludgy and non-Apple, but I'd like to be able to upgrade the WiFi on several Maxcs purchases in the last year.

• Reply 50 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Why would Apple put wifi in an iMac or a Mac Pro for that matter, if it makes no sense?

Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

This is indeed great news, if true. Maybe Apple hasn't abandoned us graphics professionals, after all.

I wonder how the graphics card is going to work since the only display Apple makes is Thunderbolt.

Quote:

Some people just don't like wires and  WiFi is fast enough for their use patterns. Not everyone lives in a brand new home.

• Reply 51 of 131
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Most likely the refresh of all the hardware will coincide with the release of Mountain Lion.

Looking forward to the refresh as I'm in the market for another Macbook.

• Reply 52 of 131
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Where is 'here'?

• Reply 53 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Most likely the refresh of all the hardware will coincide with the release of Mountain Lion.

Why? That's $30 per machine they lose. Mountain Lion is also months away; you want to keep waiting for these hardware updates? They wouldn't announce them early, so they wouldn't be announcing them at WWDC, then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Where is 'here'?

SoCal, probably.

• Reply 54 of 131
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

The Mac Pro came out at WWDC the year before the first iPhone.

Though I do agree with you. It should be fully about software.

The B2S promotion won't start until mid-June, however.

I disagree. It should never be fully about software. Apple is about complete solutions where it is a marriage between hardware and software. WWDC embracing Apple's roots should be the standard and should always accompany new hardware with the possibility of new products entirely.

• Reply 55 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I disagree. It should never be fully about software. Apple is about complete solutions where it is a marriage between hardware and software. WWDC embracing Apple's roots should be the standard and should always accompany new hardware with the possibility of new products entirely.

Hmm. I don't think it should necessarily always accompany new hardware, but I agree with everything else you've said. That makes sense.

• Reply 56 of 131
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A total of 14 new Mac models arriving next week would mean that Apple may upgrade an uncharacteristically large number of its computers at once. 

The "Big Bang" of Macs.  Interesting.

This is sending a message to Intel: We've been waiting for you to get your feces together.  For a long, long, time.

Just a matter of time before Apple begins migrating the MacBook Air to 64-bit multi-core ARM.

And no, "Wont' run Windows!" isn't a valid counter-argument.  Because the same thing will be

said about those "no compromises" iPad clones Ballmer is dreaming about.  You know, the ARM-based

pads that will run Windows RT?  With the Metro UI.  With no "XP Mode" for lazy corporate IT

groups to fall back on.  Yeah, *that* will work.  Sure.

• Reply 57 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Some people just don't like wires and  WiFi is fast enough for their use patterns. Not everyone lives in a brand new home.

Not only homes... Years ago (1980's, before WiFi) we installed a twisted pair (1 Gb) LAN in the Marin Civic Center building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

The building has a central atrium surrounded by offices with solid walls facing the atrium and window walls facing the exterior.

Because it is an historical site, we were not allowed to drill any holes or have any exposed cable... Fun install.

Places like this would kill for WiFi.

Marin Atrium.png

• Reply 58 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Exactly!  Based on Apple's style/strategy of secrecy, it would be almost impossible to open up new OS features and APIs with out having corresponding hardware to take advantage of them.  

I suspect both iOS 6 and OSX ML will be full of features that will be able to exploit new hardware.  Especially iOS, as there has been no developer seed of iOS 6 -- and no iOS developer anything since iOS 5 was released last October.

When Apple announces new things, they usually demonstrate them in operation...  this requires close integration of new hardware and new software, to deliver a complete solution.

No competitor can do this -- it's an Apple exclusive that they continue to exploit!

• Reply 59 of 131
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Why? That's $30 per machine they lose. Mountain Lion is also months away; you want to keep waiting for these hardware updates? They wouldn't announce them early, so they wouldn't be announcing them at WWDC, then.

Who says Mountain Lion is months away?

I think they'll release it at WWDC on Monday. Great selling point for the new machines.

• Reply 60 of 131

Despite WWDC's overall emphasis on developers, programming, etc.the initial Monday morning keynote has often had a mix of software and hardware announcements. I could see a certain rhythm developing, however:

March - iPad

June - WWDC: preview iOS + OS X, new Mac hardware

September/October - iPhone, new iOS release

WWDC is a good time to announce new Macs - just in time for graduates, back to school, etc. It's also a crowd-pleaser for developers. Between March, June, September, and December (holidays), Apple would be in people's lives/minds year-round.