New part numbers reveal Apple to refresh most of Mac lineup at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Not even close - Saskatoon (i said "here" because obviously no one has heard of it).  Saskatoon is in Saskatchewan.

That's where the splendidly entertaining Drew Remenda, who's the color commentator for the San Jose Sharks, comes from.

Those of us who are Sharks fans will have heard of Saskatoon, since he never passes up a chance to mention it!

• Reply 82 of 131
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

The flip side is, the new MBPs may have a retina display and 4 core processors instead of the dual core and two other virtual cores that you currently get as I understand it. 

Only the 13" MBP and both MBAs are dual core.  The 15" and 17" MBP are quad cores.  They all have hyper-threading active tho, so same count again for virtual cores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

The Mac Pro is needed until they drop the assinine practice of making all their displays super-blinding-mega-gloss-mirrors.

There is a growing consensus that Apple does this to force the sale of the Mac Pro lineup - as iMacs with super-blinding-mega-gloss-mirrors are simply not an option for professionals.

In other words, we will only see a matte/functional display from Apple when they finally do drop the Mac Pro.

If they do release an iMac that is suitable for professionals or those who live/work above ground... I know of 28 that will sell immediatly.

No professionals want Apple's 'Mole Machine's' - as they have come to be known as.

And the Thunder-mole displays... not selling so well i hear.

Funny never heard the Mole Machine nickname.  Also, super-mega may be just a smidge of hyperbole.  Just a bit.  Some people have glossy screens, live and work above ground and have no problems.  Don't know what to tell you. 

• Reply 83 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

The Mac Pro is needed until they drop the assinine practice of making all their displays super-blinding-mega-gloss-mirrors.

There is a growing consensus that Apple does this to force the sale of the Mac Pro lineup - as iMacs with super-blinding-mega-gloss-mirrors are simply not an option for professionals.

In other words, we will only see a matte/functional display from Apple when they finally do drop the Mac Pro.

If they do release an iMac that is suitable for professionals or those who live/work above ground... I know of 28 that will sell immediatly.

No professionals want Apple's 'Mole Machine's' - as they have come to be known as.

And the Thunder-mole displays... not selling so well i hear.

With the exclusion of your conspiricy theory, you have a reasonable point about wanting a matte display.  People might take you seriously if you expressed that reasonable point in a reasonable way.

• Reply 84 of 131
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

It'd send shivers down the spines of the competitors to release it all in one day. It'd be Cook's first real "Boom".

• Reply 85 of 131
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

.....I hate the skinny scroll bars that you get in 10.7, you can hardly grab them with your mouse cursor. This is a dumb idea. 

This is so (annoyingly) true....... :-/

• Reply 86 of 131
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

THIS is your reason for not wanting Lion? Why would you even do that? Two fingers on the trackpad, man!

Not always the most convenient, esp. when you're trying to look at a 150-page PDF/Preview document, and you want to quickly scroll from, say p. 3 to somewhere between pages 77 and 83 to do a quick browse.....

Lion is alright. I don't see much that is a noticeable by way of improvements other than pages scrolling in the same direction as the finger movement and some additional desktop images.

Apple could just as easily have done that with a 2MB update to 10.6.

• Reply 87 of 131
    heyrefheyref Posts: 4member

The splendid book The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat tells of life in Saskatoon. 

• Reply 88 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mode wrote: »

Really? So 'growing consensus' means that you've finally found someone who agrees with you?

Apple is smart enough to realize that the overwhelming majority of iMac or MacBook Pro or MacBook Air customers would not even consider switching to the Mac Pro if they didn't like the monitor. A small number might switch to the Mini, though, so you have an option.
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This makes no sense at all. An iMac should be wired to a switch, using WiFi for a desktop is so backwards as to defy description.
    As to keyboards I'm hoping something happens there also. The current keyboards are a bit pathetic.

So everyone is supposed to automatically have a switch in their home as well as a cable jack in every single location where they might use a computer? That's not even true at work, much less at home. Sometimes there isn't a jack convenient to where the computer is used.
    joelsalt wrote: »
    New houses are completely wired - at least around here they are.

It's an option on new houses around here and I'd be surprised if it's the default anywhere. As an option, I was able to pay something like $100 per jack when my home was built 10 years ago. But, unfortunately, you have to guess where you're going to use the computer - and if you change your mind, the jack is in the wrong place.

I can't imagine going back to wired Ethernet at home.
  • Reply 89 of 131
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

I agree its not always ideal, but since they run coax and cat5 for cable television anyway, its usually in a decent spot.

Also at work I use the Cat6 cable b/c the internet where I work (University) is 1000x better on the fast (T1?) network compared to the wifi (often spotty b/c of concrete) - so ethernet on the MBP wouldn't be great (some of us have Thunderbolts/other options for our office however)

PS seems as good as reason as any to become a Sharks fan

• Reply 90 of 131
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think the poster meant Gigahertz, the 3 iPads are .11n but still on 2.4GHz.

It's an assumption, and that is the mother of all screwups.

That's incorrect. All generations of iPads support 802.11n at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 

The iPhone only supports 2.4GHz.

• Reply 91 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Holy crap, this is going to be the best WWDC ever :)

• Reply 92 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Holy crap, this is going to be the best WWDC ever :)

And he~re comes the disappointment. image

• Reply 93 of 131
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Newton MessagePad NewGen.

Cheers

• Reply 94 of 131

I need to get a new MBP, does anyone know how much Apple or any retailers tend to discount their current stock of MBP's right after a refresh? I know iPods and iPads drop a $100 or so when the new models come out. I'm wanting to know if a drop in price would be worth getting the current model versus the yet to be released one.

• Reply 95 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryMetal View Post

…discount their current stock of MBP's right after a refresh? I know iPods and iPads drop a $100 or so… 

About the same. More for the more expensive models. Check MacMall, the Apple Store Clearance page, Amazon, Best Buy, and others.

• Reply 96 of 131
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It'd send shivers down the spines of the competitors to release it all in one day. It'd be Cook's first real "Boom".

It's Cook's first big test. He's going to want to make a big splash.

• Reply 97 of 131
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

It's Cook's first big test. He's going to want to make a big splash.

He's also been promising that this year would be very exciting. I hope that holds for hardware as much as it does for software. But I'm starting to dampen my expectations for this WWDC.

• Reply 98 of 131
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's already the case. You can't use anything lower than 10.7.2 on the current model. People need to get over their aversion to Lion.

THIS is your reason for not wanting Lion? Why would you even do that? Two fingers on the trackpad, man!

I'm actually mixed about that myself. I'll only accept it if they have 802.11ac.

Honestly, I don't care for 10.7 that much. I also don't like that it seems to be heading towards looking like IOS. I like IOS for the iPhone, I like OS X for my computers.

So, what you're saying is that I won't be able to load 10.6 on the current model MBPs? I thought that they were out before 10.7 was released?...

And yes, I hate those skinny scroll bars and I don't want to use the trackpad. I don't like any devices with touchscreens including my iPhone 4s (the iPhone 4s works fantastic when I hit the right buttons, I just hate that it has a touch screen, I've had the 4S since Feb and have not yet gotten used to the damn touchscreen. I really hope Apple builds a future iPhone that has a blackberry like keyboard and trackpad on it for those of us who prefer a real keyboard...)

• Reply 99 of 131
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not always the most convenient, esp. when you're trying to look at a 150-page PDF/Preview document, and you want to quickly scroll from, say p. 3 to somewhere between pages 77 and 83 to do a quick browse.....

Yes, yet another reason for normal sized scroll bars...

• Reply 100 of 131
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

If during rehearsal they find Cook's enthusiasm and adjectives lacking, they should give Ive a shot at introducing the new hardware. Someone who cares about curves and details and aesthetics. You can't just say it's exciting, you have to actually believe it.