Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Who says Mountain Lion is months away?

Apple.

Quote:

I think they'll release it at WWDC on Monday.

Except we haven't even had a GM yet.

• Reply 62 of 131
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Not only homes... Years ago (1980's, before WiFi) we installed a twisted pair (1 Gb) LAN in the Marin Civic Center building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

The building has a central atrium surrounded by offices with solid walls facing the atrium and window walls facing the exterior.

Because it is an historical site, we were not allowed to drill any holes or have any exposed cable... Fun install.

Places like this would kill for WiFi.

Where can you even route them there without problems?

• Reply 63 of 131
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

ASUS has a 1.75Gbps 802.11ac router released (well, almost) with 2.4GHz+5GHz channel bonding or something to that effect. If Apple wants to continue to be the first with WiFi, as it has claimed to be in the case of 802.11b, g, and n then this kind of has to include the new 802.11ac standard in at least one router.

• Reply 64 of 131
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

If all we get are spec bumps quietly updated on Apple's website it will be a disappointment.  Especially with rumors of a thinner MBP and retina displays.  And some products that are due for a design refresh.  Earlier this year Tim Cook said Apple was working on things that would "blow your mind".  None of the iOS rumors we've heard so far (facebook integration, new maps, redesigned itunes/ibooks/app store) sound very "mind blowing".  Jony Ive recently said the stuff his team is working on is the best they've ever done.  WTH are they working on then?  Gotta be more than the new iPhone.

• Reply 65 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    The "Big Bang" of Macs.  Interesting.

This is sending a message to Intel: We've been waiting for you to get your feces together.  For a long, long, time.

Just a matter of time before Apple begins migrating the MacBook Air to 64-bit multi-core ARM.
    And no, "Wont' run Windows!" isn't a valid counter-argument.  

Perhaps not, but "won't run any existing OS X software" and "is 1/10 the speed of the current MBA" are quite valid counterarguments.

I just don't see any way that Apple is going to release an MBA that's a fraction of the speed of the current one. It's not going to happen. If ARM ever catches up to the point that it's roughly as fast as the chips Apple is using in MBA at that time, then it might happen, but there's still the software problem. People run MS Office, Photoshop, and so on on their MBAs.

I could, however, see a new category - basically an improved iPad rather than a scaled down MBA. Take an iPad, add a hinge and keyboard. Put in a much larger battery and you have a 2-3 pound device which is an iPad with attached keyboard. Call it an iPad Pro. That would have a far better chance than a crippled MBA.
  • Reply 66 of 131
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Despite WWDC's overall emphasis on developers, programming, etc.the initial Monday morning keynote has often had a mix of software and hardware announcements. I could see a certain rhythm developing, however:

March - iPad

June - WWDC: preview iOS + OS X, new Mac hardware

September/October - iPhone, new iOS release

WWDC is a good time to announce new Macs - just in time for graduates, back to school, etc. It's also a crowd-pleaser for developers. Between March, June, September, and December (holidays), Apple would be in people's lives/minds year-round.

This makes sense.

• Reply 67 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    crunch wrote: »
    ASUS has a 1.75Gbps 802.11ac router released (well, almost) with 2.4GHz+5GHz channel bonding or something to that effect. If Apple wants to continue to be the first with WiFi, as it has claimed to be in the case of 802.11b, g, and n then this kind of has to include the new 802.11ac standard in at least one router.

I don't think Apple needs to be first with 802.11ac. When it becomes popular enough that you're likely to run into it, they'll add it, but there's very, very little advantage to being the first mover on something like that.

That said, it's entirely possible that the 802.11 chip used in the next Macs is capable of it and only awaits a firmware upgrade to implement it.
  • Reply 68 of 131
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Where can you even route them there without problems?

If I understand, you're asking where they can route WiFi...  that should be fairly easy with routers like the AirPort Extreme -- you can have multiple satellite AirPort boxes installed to extend the area of coverage.  Same as for a college campus, enterprise or a hospital.

• Reply 69 of 131
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If all we get are spec bumps quietly updated on Apple's website it will be a disappointment.  Especially with rumors of a thinner MBP and retina displays.  And some products that are due for a design refresh.  Earlier this year Tim Cook said Apple was working on things that would "blow your mind".  None of the iOS rumors we've heard so far (facebook integration, new maps, redesigned itunes/ibooks/app store) sound very "mind blowing".  Jony Ive recently said the stuff his team is working on is the best they've ever done.  WTH are they working on then?  Gotta be more than the new iPhone.

What if Apple were to completely re-imagine the camera capabilities of iOS devices?  I rarely carry a camera except to the grandkid's soccer games -- a Panny AVCHD video cam (cost $1,000 about 5 years ago).

Wouldn't it be great if the best camera (the one you have with you) were, in fact, better than most of the cameras in the $500-700 price range.

• Reply 70 of 131

Seriously.... MAC PRO TIME!!! Who cares about incremental laptop and imac updates.  GIVE US A MAC PRO!!!  Hope they don't Finalcut X it and turn it into an iMac Pro or something. 

• Reply 71 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by RekiPulse View Post

Hope they don't Final Cut X it…

You say that as though that's disparaging.

• Reply 72 of 131
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? That's $30 per machine they lose. Mountain Lion is also months away; you want to keep waiting for these hardware updates? They wouldn't announce them early, so they wouldn't be announcing them at WWDC, then.

SoCal, probably.

Not even close - Saskatoon (i said "here" because obviously no one has heard of it).  Saskatoon is in Saskatchewan.

• Reply 73 of 131
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

I've been contemplating buying the current 15" MBP (with the antiglare screen) to replace my 2.1 GHZ MBP (whose fans run almost non-stop). 

I'm worried that if I don't pick up a current model and instead buy one of the newer MBPs, I'll be stuck with 10.7 or higher and I hate the skinny scroll bars that you get in 10.7, you can hardly grab them with your mouse cursor. This is a dumb idea. I've also heard that the new MBPs may not have an ethernet port and I prefer not to use wi-fi. 

The flip side is, the new MBPs may have a retina display and 4 core processors instead of the dual core and two other virtual cores that you currently get as I understand it. 

Decisions. I hate em...

• Reply 74 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I'm worried that if I don't pick up a current model and instead buy one of the newer MBPs, I'll be stuck with 10.7 or higher

That's already the case. You can't use anything lower than 10.7.2 on the current model. People need to get over their aversion to Lion.

Quote:

and I hate the skinny scroll bars that you get in 10.7, you can hardly grab them with your mouse cursor.

THIS is your reason for not wanting Lion? Why would you even do that? Two fingers on the trackpad, man!

Quote:

I've also heard that the new MBPs may not have an ethernet port and I prefer not to use wi-fi. 

I'm actually mixed about that myself. I'll only accept it if they have 802.11ac.

• Reply 75 of 131
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You say that as though that's disparaging.

It is.

• Reply 76 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I've also heard that the new MBPs may not have an ethernet port

I really don't know how they could continue to call them MacBook Pro if they don't have an ethernet port. But if they have USB 3 you could get an adapter I suppose. Perhaps someone needs to develop a replacement for the RJ45 that is not as fat, because the notebooks are apparently getting too thin to accommodate the standard plug.

• Reply 77 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

It is.

Nope.

• Reply 78 of 131
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Wouldn't it be great if the best camera (the one you have with you) were, in fact, better than most of the cameras in the $500-700 price range.

That line from Chase Jarvis cannot be quoted enough times! I think over time the camera in cellphones will be technically so advanced that they, perhaps not better, will outsell standalone cameras. The P&S ones, not DSLR obviously.
  • Reply 79 of 131
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    What is "5G"? 802.11ac? It's a given that Apple will be releasing them.

I think the poster meant Gigahertz, the 3 iPads are .11n but still on 2.4GHz.

It's an assumption, and that is the mother of all screwups.
  • Reply 80 of 131
    modemode Posts: 163member
    The Mac Pro is needed until they drop the assinine practice of making all their displays super-blinding-mega-gloss-mirrors.

There is a growing consensus that Apple does this to force the sale of the Mac Pro lineup - as iMacs with super-blinding-mega-gloss-mirrors are simply not an option for professionals.
    In other words, we will only see a matte/functional display from Apple when they finally do drop the Mac Pro.

If they do release an iMac that is suitable for professionals or those who live/work above ground... I know of 28 that will sell immediatly.
    No professionals want Apple's 'Mole Machine's' - as they have come to be known as.
    And the Thunder-mole displays... not selling so well i hear.