New part numbers reveal Apple to refresh most of Mac lineup at WWDC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the WWDC keynote now just five days away, a list of alleged part numbers provided to AppleInsider suggests Apple may be preparing to revamp nearly its entire Mac lineup.

A total of 27 new parts are on the list, and 14 of them appear to be new Mac hardware, while the remaining 13 parts are listed as "standalone kits." All of the part numbers also reportedly appear in Apple's reseller system.

A total of 14 new Mac models arriving next week would mean that Apple may upgrade an uncharacteristically large number of its computers at once. At present, a total of 20 different Mac models, not including build-to-order options, are listed in Apple's store among its five product lineups: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac and Mac Pro.

None of Apple's lineup has yet to be upgraded to Intel's latest-generation Ivy Bridge processors. Suitable ultra-low voltage Ivy Bridge chips for the MacBook Air debuted last week, while chips that could be used in the MacBook Pro lineup launched in late April.

The purported parts show new Macs allegedly headed for sale in Australia. The person who provided the picture indicated that Apple appears to be sending a reasonable amount of stock to resellers in that country in time for a launch next week.

Parts


AppleInsider was also provided with Australian Good and Service Tax numbers for each of the part numbers listed in the inventory. With this 10% tax, the following prices have been extracted, allowing for educated guesses on what each part number could be:

Prices


Apple is expected to update the 15-inch MacBook Pros first, before the 13- and 17-inch models are upgraded with thinner designs and higher resolution displays. Apple also offers the MacBook Air in two sizes of 11 and 13 inches, and the iMac with screens of 21.5 and 27 inches. Priced at $119 Australian, the "K31" hardware is likely either an AirPort Express or a new, cheaper AirPort Extreme.

The three parts identified as "K5BPLUS" are believed to be new Mac Pro desktops. Inventory of the Mac Pro has become diminished ahead of next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, and recent rumors suggested the desktop would receive a refresh, despite the fact that officials at Apple were reportedly questioning the future of the professional desktop lineup.

The parts list provided to AppleInsider also includes a number of other parts, labeled both "better" and "best" for various model options. They are known as "J11," "J13," "J30," J31," and "D2."

Another part listed has just a single model, identified as "best." It is identified as "K31." Not listed among the original parts list provided were technical specifications for the new Macs, or prices.

Specifically rumored to receive updates at next week's WWDC keynote on Monday are the MacBook Pro, which is expected to feature a thinner and lighter design similar to the MacBook Air along with a new higher resolution display, as well as the all-in-one iMac desktop, which is also said to receive an upgraded display.

Apple is expected to unveil new products at its WWDC 2012 keynote, which will be held at 10 a.m. Pacific next Monday, June 11. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage of the event, as well as the rest of WWDC.
«134567

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 131
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member


    omg! i hope this is true..... I have been waiting for a new Mac Pro for over a year now....

  • Reply 2 of 131
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 493member


    If a couple of the pictures I've seen of box labels are to be believed, they won't have 802.11ac yet. If so, it looks like I'll be waiting until next year to upgrade my iMac. I hope the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad are upgraded with Bluetooth 4.0 as well. My Magic Trackpad is a little battery hungry, as I usually have to replace the batteries in about 2-3 weeks of mild use. 

  • Reply 3 of 131
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 267member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post


    omg! i hope this is true..... I have been waiting for a new Mac Pro for over a year now....



    The Mac Pro part numbers here match up with the 9to5 Mac Pro numbers.  Corroborating evidence? 

  • Reply 4 of 131
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member


    The WWDC is presumably meant to focus on software development (?)


     


    Has Apple announced major hardware releases at WWDC before?


     


     

  • Reply 5 of 131
    tokenusertokenuser Posts: 69member


    Quote


     




    • Originally Posted by enzos View Post


       


      The WWDC is presumably meant to focus on software development (?)


       


      Has Apple announced major hardware releases at WWDC before?


       


       




     


    Thats a myth. People were shocked when there was NO hardware announcement last year.


    With Apple pulling out of Macworld, I expect that WWDC will become an increasingly important venue for hardware announcements - and lets face it, without the developers Apple hardware would be just another shiny computer. OSX and the whole Apple Grid is what really distinguishes Apple from its competitors.


     



    (Source: http://www.quora.com/Apple-World-Wide-Developer-Conference-WWDC/What-hardware-has-Apple-announced-at-WWDC)


     

  • Reply 6 of 131
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,254member


    All I know is, I'm going to be REALLY disappointed if Apple doesn't introduce a new/redesigned Mac Pro on Monday (after all these recent rumors). Oh well, it's too late now, my hopes are up.

     

  • Reply 7 of 131


    Looking at the part numbers and the start of the prices, compared to the current prices on the AU store, the new iMac part numbers are:


     


    MD101X/A J30 Better -> 21.5 iMac 


    MD102X/A J30 Best   -> 21.5 iMac


    MD103X/A J31 Better -> 27 iMac


    MD104X/A J31 Best   -> 27 iMac

  • Reply 8 of 131
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,205member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post


    Quote


     


     


    Thats a myth. People were shocked when there was NO hardware announcement last year.



     


    Sorry I have to disagree with the notion that WWDC as a software conference is a myth. That is in fact what the conference is about. The Keynote morphed into a hardware focus especially after the iPhone was launched which has felt off to much of the conference attendees for ages. They felt, and still feel that the keynote should be launching the conference not pandering to hardware hungry media. And given that Apple pulled the iPhone hardware launch from WWDC last year it is very possible that they feel the same way. Add to this the notion of being forced into a set schedule (a major reason why they pulled from MacWorld) and it is plausible that WWDC is going back to the intended full focus on software. Especially now that the media blogs every little thing that happens so they don't need a big event to get the word out. Tim Cook farts at lunch and by tea time everyone knows it happens, how bad it smelled etc. Look at what happens over an alleged box label or a part number. 


     


    That said, I don't doubt that Apple isn't about to do something with their hardware and probably soon since the Back to School promo typically starts about this time of year. But I disagree with the notion that it will be AT WWDC or more than about 5-10 minutes of the keynote and probably at the very end. The bulk of that will likely be iOS 6 since there's been no preview to give out 3/4 of the details like with Mountain Lion. Then they will shed a little more light on Mountain Lion with a "and to support this" quick general view of the upcoming hardware changes which will put up on the site and in stores perhaps that same day (likely I would say, at least for online)

  • Reply 9 of 131
    nhtnht Posts: 4,429member


    I'm hoping the 1st three are mini models.

  • Reply 10 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If a couple of the pictures I've seen of box labels are to be believed, they won't have 802.11ac yet. If so, it looks like I'll be waiting until next year to upgrade my iMac. I hope the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad are upgraded with Bluetooth 4.0 as well. My Magic Trackpad is a little battery hungry, as I usually have to replace the batteries in about 2-3 weeks of mild use. 

    Assuming that 802.11n is what they have, with any luck the 802.11ac HW is included but the drivers aren't there because Apple won't have their AirPort routers ready. Is that really the best case scenario?

    Apple has been one of the first companies to release a high-end consumer routers after a new wireless tech is ready. I hope they do again because there routers are woefully outdated. Well, all consumer routers are. We have so many WiFi capable devices in our homes that our routers are becoming a network bottleneck.
  • Reply 11 of 131
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,199member


    I want a golden goose.

  • Reply 12 of 131


    I can't wait for Standalone Kit!!!

  • Reply 13 of 131
    tokenusertokenuser Posts: 69member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


     


    Sorry I have to disagree with the notion that WWDC as a software conference is a myth. That is in fact what the conference is about. 



    I was referring to the fact that no hardware has been announced at the WWDC is a myth.


    The WWDC is a DEVELOPERS conference, and as such should focus on ... well .. development.


     


    There is a tie in between hardware and software though. While there focus should be on software, it needs to run on hardware - often new hardware with new capabilities. So, the tie in with hardware announcement is almost a requirement.


     


    The question is - should it be "pre-announcements" or "release".


     


    If it "pre-announcement" it will tank the sales of existing gear while people wait for the new stuff (based on news - rather than rumour).


    If it is "release" it will divert the attention away from software and development.


     


    Tough call for Apple - and understandable if there is an initial media focus on hardware release (and don't we all like seeing something shiny and new anyway?). If something is pre-announced, we all want it now. Human nature make us lousy at waiting patiently.

  • Reply 14 of 131
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post


     My Magic Trackpad is a little battery hungry, as I usually have to replace the batteries in about 2-3 weeks of mild use. 



    Why aren't you using the rechargeable batteries that Apple sells?  Or purchase Eneloop batteries which are about the equivalent of Apple's.

  • Reply 15 of 131
    tokenusertokenuser Posts: 69member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post


    If a couple of the pictures I've seen of box labels are to be believed, they won't have 802.11ac yet. If so, it looks like I'll be waiting until next year to upgrade my iMac. I hope the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad are upgraded with Bluetooth 4.0 as well. My Magic Trackpad is a little battery hungry, as I usually have to replace the batteries in about 2-3 weeks of mild use. 



    I was finding the same thing with my Magic Trackpad. I like a full size (as in all keys - including navigation and keypad) keyboard, so use a USB keyboard, but for the Trackpad, I bought a Mobee Powerbar (http://www.mobeetechnology.com/the-power-bar.html). Not sure where they ship from, but it arrived within days of ordering.


     


    It screws into the same slot as the batteries, and lets you charge of USB. Since I use a tethered keyboard, I daisy chain off that while I am at my desk, but unplug the Trackpad and take it with me as required. The BT connection runs while its charging, so no loss of function - its just not quite as aesthetically pleasing.

  • Reply 16 of 131
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Assuming that 802.11n is what they have, with any luck the 802.11ac HW is included but the drivers aren't there because Apple won't have their AirPort routers ready. Is that really the best case scenario?

    Apple has been one of the first companies to release a high-end consumer routers after a new wireless tech is ready. I hope they do again because there routers are woefully outdated. Well, all consumer routers are. We have so many WiFi capable devices in our homes that our routers are becoming a network bottleneck.


     


    Anyone know what the "standalone kits" are or have any guesses?  The only thing that come to mind are upgrades to the existing Mac Pros, but Thunderbolt upgrades don't make any sense and there are too many to be just graphic cards aren't there?  

  • Reply 17 of 131
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    s4mb4 wrote: »
    omg! i hope this is true..... I have been waiting for a new Mac Pro for over a year now....

    If you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll end up never buying. I never advise people to wait, except maybe this week just because WWDC is next week. But other than that, buy what you need and do it now.
    If a couple of the pictures I've seen of box labels are to be believed, they won't have 802.11ac yet. If so, it looks like I'll be waiting until next year to upgrade my iMac. I hope the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad are upgraded with Bluetooth 4.0 as well. My Magic Trackpad is a little battery hungry, as I usually have to replace the batteries in about 2-3 weeks of mild use. 

    If there's no need for a new iMac now, sure, wait. Otherwise, read above.

    They can also add .11ac to new computers now and introduce new Airports that support that at a later time.
  • Reply 18 of 131
    pokepoke Posts: 506member


    Given that they have to cover Mountain Lion and iOS 6 in the keynote (and potentially a forthcoming Apple TV API and App Store), it seems unlikely that they'd have time for this many hardware announcements. The fact that there's so many probably means they're mostly spec bumps rather than redesigns and will be updated quietly without an announcement either tomorrow or after WWDC. I'm setting expectations to LOW.

  • Reply 19 of 131
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    If you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll end up never buying. I never advise people to wait, except maybe this week just because WWDC is next week. But other than that, buy what you need and do it now.

    If there's no need for a new iMac now, sure, wait. Otherwise, read above.

    They can also add .11ac to new computers now and introduce new Airports that support that at a later time.


     


    sorry, but we are talking about a $4000 workstation here. waiting for the lastest for a year is not a big deal. had i spent $4000 12 months ago and new ones come out Monday, I would be pretty upset. mac minis and iMac i agree, buy when you need.

  • Reply 20 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

    The Keynote morphed into a hardware focus especially after the iPhone was launched which has felt off to much of the conference attendees for ages.




    The Mac Pro came out at WWDC the year before the first iPhone.


     


    Quote:


    And given that Apple pulled the iPhone hardware launch from WWDC last year it is very possible that they feel the same way.



     


    Though I do agree with you. It should be fully about software.


     


    The B2S promotion won't start until mid-June, however.

Sign In or Register to comment.