sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

EWWWWWWWWW

SAMSUNG PARTS???!!!

NOT GONNA BUY!!!

• Reply 22 of 194
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Ouch, soldered ram.  I much prefer the 4 slots/32GB in my asus bricktop.

As the Soup Nazi might say.  "No Retina Display for YOU!    NEXT"

• Reply 23 of 194
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Ultimately, it comes down to how many people actually bother with upgrading their RAM. If the number is small enough, soldered RAM isn't a problem. If a significant number of people want to upgrade their RAM, there could be some backlash.
    However, given the modest price for the upgrade to 16 GB, I would simply get the higher RAM from the start and it should be sufficient for most people for the life of the computer. Heck, I'm currently still stuck at 3 GB and lots of people are using even less.

I agree with you, It's really the HD video and high end photoshop users that needs the big memories. We crave it it like a drug addict! I suddenly had a flash back to my Mac II fx and lovingly looking at the 8 MB of RAM (when most folks thought 512K or 1MB was rocking) and thinking OMG I'll never need more that this! / smile

The SSD is my main concern. I was really hoping Apple would come up with dual drives in the flagship model. An HD and an SSD with easy access to upgrade the HD to SSD when prices fall. The bench mark on my early 2010 MBP i7 is pathetic next to current models so I want to upgrade but my user folder is over 750 GIGS so I need a TB at least in drive space! Yes i have the ability to off load stuff to externals but that would be a pain. Even now I have to put up with a slow drive as no 7200 RPM 2.5 TB drives existed when I upgraded it, not even sure they exist now. So 1TB of SSD is out of the question at present and that's not going to be affordable for a year or two I suspect. I could modify a 2012 MBP by removing the optical and adding SSD but no Retina that way. No easy answer other than returning to a next gen Mac Pro, oh that means waiting till 2013... . /sigh

I guess I will start off loading 50% that user folder today ...
  • Reply 24 of 194
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

EWWWWWWWWW

SAMSUNG PARTS???!!!

NOT GONNA BUY!!!

sorry, they were all out of parts made from unicorn eyelashes

• Reply 25 of 194
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member

Moral of the story: Get AppleCare if you're going to keep the laptop beyond the one year warranty period. You can wait until the year is almost up to purchase AppleCare. There isn't any real benefit to buying it when you buy the Mac.

• Reply 26 of 194
    drblank wrote: »
    Reliability also happens if people installed Third Party RAM after they buy the product since Third Party RAM can be flaky depending on the supplier.  For laptops, it's best to never have to dive in and replace things for users to do it.

Yes the avoidance of cheap, flaky third part RAM is probably a compelling motive for this move. I can imagine a lot of Apple support energy is wasted on that.
  • Reply 27 of 194
    davesmall wrote: »
    Moral of the story: Get AppleCare if you're going to keep the laptop beyond the one year warranty period. You can wait until the year is almost up to purchase AppleCare. There isn't any real benefit to buying it when you buy the Mac.
    <div id="user_ynano_hooks_page" style="display:none;">
    <div id="user_callsToClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

<div id="user_eventsFromClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

</div>

<div style="display:none;">
    <div style="display:none;"> </div>

<div style="display:none;"> </div>

</div>

Not sure about this ... but even if you waited till the last day of the 1 year coverage wouldn't the three years of the extended be dated from date of purchase still?
  • Reply 28 of 194
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Cost : Why would it be lower ? Support/replacement is more expensive

Look at the arrangement of the RAM chips. They're not all in groups of four, next to each other. There's a cost to engineer the logic board to have space for the connector and RAM in a specific place that is user accessible.

• Reply 29 of 194
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

As the Soup Nazi might say.  "No Retina Display for YOU!    NEXT"

While I'd love to have one for the cool factor, I am having trouble understanding the practicality of retina display on a notebook.  Right now i'm sitting about 32" from a 17" 1920x1080 display and there's no way to see individual pixels.  It makes a little more sense for a phone or a tablet (since you hold those much closer to your eyes), not so much otherwise.  

• Reply 30 of 194
    pjapkpjapk Posts: 24member

Glad I went for the 16Gb option. Debated 8Gb until I saw the (comparitively to previous costs) cheaper upgrade option and went for it without knowing it was soldered on. Had I ordered the 8Gb and then found about the soldering I'd definitely have cancelled & reordered 16.

I chose not to bother with SSD premium as I'd rather spend the £400 difference on Thunderbolt options (the seagate adapter rocks!) When it boils down to it, the difference between 512Gb & 768Gb is a couple of decent CF memory cards capacity only so I simply won't be storing huge amounts of data locally, only a "working set".

• Reply 31 of 194
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And to do a BTO build with maximum memory.   I mean 8G should be enough for MOST average users, but if you doing ANY content creation or possibly gaming (audio, video, graphics, gaming) 16G IS the way to go.  

maybe Mountain Lion has more memory requirements as the entire line got memory bumps......

• Reply 32 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjapk View Post

Glad I went for the 16Gb option. Debated 8Gb until I saw the (comparitively to previous costs) cheaper upgrade option and went for it without knowing it was soldered on. Had I ordered the 8Gb and then found about the soldering I'd definitely have cancelled & reordered 16.

I chose not to bother with SSD premium as I'd rather spend the £400 difference on Thunderbolt options (the seagate adapter rocks!) When it boils down to it, the difference between 512Gb & 768Gb is a couple of decent CF memory cards capacity only so I simply won't be storing huge amounts of data locally, only a "working set".

actually, on an SSD, more Gb is better for perfomance reasons too.....

• Reply 33 of 194
    pjapk wrote: »

My first thought was Apple should make it very, very clear it's not upgradable for the very reason you mention.
  • Reply 34 of 194
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    neo42 wrote: »
    I put 32GB of DDR3 in my laptop for less than the cost of the 16GB upgrade for the RMBP.  If you want to look at 8gb as a "gift from apple due to lower prices", well then, enjoy the blinders.

The same RAM type and performance?
  • Reply 35 of 194
    s4mb4 wrote: »
    actually, on an SSD, more Gb is better for perfomance reasons too.....

I'll have to go back and check but I assume the SSD is replaceable in the future as higher capacities arrive and priced fall?
  • Reply 36 of 194
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Cost : Why would it be lower ? Support/replacement is more expensive

Reliability : Maybe, because you won't have badly seated ram, but wat happens when at QC you find a bad memory chip....

Performance : No difference between soldered/non-soldered

Compact design : The only plausible reasong in my opinion.

Cost: At least 2 less parts in the entire assemble (the connector and the daughter board)

Reliability: One less over all connection prone to work loose.

Performance: I don't get that one either.

Compact Design: a given

• Reply 37 of 194
    neo42 wrote: »
    I put 32GB of DDR3 in my laptop for less than the cost of the 16GB upgrade for the RMBP.  If you want to look at 8gb as a "gift from apple due to lower prices", well then, enjoy the blinders.

I'd agree as long as you get top quality product, however It's not like there is such a choice with the new MBP though. BTW am I right that only the latest MBPs can take the 32? I think I read that 2010 models can't which is what I have.
  • Reply 38 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'll have to go back and check but I assume the SSD is replaceable in the future as higher capacities arrive and priced fall?

i dont see that option in the pics above....

• Reply 39 of 194
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro and even though the RAM is easily upgradeable, I'm still using just 2GB after all these years.  I don't find it a problem at all running Snow Leopard and the applications I use.  I believe that in order for Apple to make this new MacBook Pro as thin as it is, there is going to be a tradeoff of component accessability and as long as I know it beforehand, I'll buy a model with more RAM and hope I can get four years comfortable use out of it.  I'm not mourning the loss of upgradeable RAM at all but then again I'm not a power user.  I don't know if I'm the typical user or not but I don't think most consumers will bother to upgrade RAM at all.  I make sure I always get AppleCare so I'm also not concerned about user-friendly replacement parts.  Soldered RAM will not stop me from buying an Apple MacBook Pro.

• Reply 40 of 194
    lineyliney Posts: 19member

"RAM is soldered onto the logic board and cannot be upgraded, and that the proprietary solid-state drive memory was supplied by Samsung."

RAM = memory

drive = storage