First look: Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

Looking at the last screenshot, Software Update appears to want to install 10.7.4. Does that mean this new MBP Retina ships with 10.7.3? Interesting.

• Reply 22 of 129
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Supposedly, most apps on the App store are ready, and I think all current Apple-branded apps have been updated already. Adobe already said they are working on their apps.

Did they really switch to right angle? I thought right angle mag safe was Air-only, Pros were straight-on.

I think JeffDM is correct.

• Reply 23 of 129
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I've been through three of the straight-on connectored adapters (one was replaced under AppleCare) while the two angled adapters are still working perfectly.

Same experience as mine, but times two for the two MBPs in the family.  

I hope this design is better constructed than the older straight connector.  They just flat out fell apart under normal usage.

• Reply 24 of 129
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Tiny little nitpick: I hope Apple fixed the light leaks around the edges of the keys when the keyboard backlighting is on.  The edge lighting is uneven and you can see through the gaps.  Just a minor cosmetic issue.

I hope Apple eventually replaces the plastic keys with glass too.  But no, not holding my breath on that one.  Would be nice though.  :-)

• Reply 25 of 129
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The 'retina' display is superb and even though the actual desktop space is equivalent to 1440x900 you can view and edit 1080p video in full resolution but it only consumes 2/3 of the display width whereas it doesn't even fit onto a 1680x1050 screen.  The same case is made for image manipulation.  

So although you have a workspace of 1440x900 it enables full scale viewing of media etc.  If you work with any image based media or just want a screen you can work with for long periods of time with reduced eye strain then there is no better solution in a laptop.

not sure what software you using to edit 1080p video where working at 1440X900 with menu and preview elements you have 2/3 of the display open - menu take up same amount of space so what you see now is the size you have to work with. Also now we back at 256 gig drives os OK for HD video workflow?

what image manipulation? - if you tell me the benefit is that you using the true image density then depending on the size of the image needed it could end up a spec on your screen - which you would need to zoom in to work on - sending the true pixel argument out the window. 

come on... we all use macs to make a living. you really telling me non of this makes you scratch your head a bit?

• Reply 26 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Slocum View Post

Perhaps a real camera (and a lens cleaning) would be in order for photos of a revolutionary high-resolution screen?

Ditto. Although some of the photos turned out well, others are blurry enough to get tossed from the most casual photo stream of a night out at the bar.

I have but one word to say, "tripod."

• Reply 27 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Nope - the Pros went to the right-angle around the time of the Unibody. Makes one wonder if Apple has real-world data from their Genius Bars indicating that the angled magsafe connectors were less likely to release causing more laptops to be damaged from tripping. I've been through three of the straight-on connectored adapters (one was replaced under AppleCare) while the two angled adapters are still working perfectly.

Sorry, if I posted wrong.

It seems I did read something about this, but I thought it was that the MBA switched to the straight plug.

Perhaps you are correct.

• Reply 28 of 129
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Supposedly, most apps on the App store are ready, and I think all current Apple-branded apps have been updated already. Adobe already said they are working on their apps.

Did they really switch to right angle? I thought right angle mag safe was Air-only, Pros were straight-on.

Incorrect.  Pros where right angle well.  I think they switch because the cord on the right angle would be blocking the TB ports.

• Reply 29 of 129
    n3on3o Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by adumbrate View Post

Does anyone know if you can attach two monitors to this MacBook Pro? Like one monitor per Thunderbolt port?

And you don't even have to use both TB ports, since you can simply connect the second external display to the TB port on the first one (daisy chain).

• Reply 30 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Incorrect.  Pros where right angle well.  I think they switch because the cord on the right angle would be blocking the TB ports.

The Pros were originally straight. But it sounds like they moved to right angle at some point, as you indicate.

• Reply 31 of 129
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just for reference, my experience with they hybrid isn't that impressive. I have a 500 GB hybrid in my MBP and it's not all that much faster than the previous 7200 rpm drive. For some tasks, it's probably significant, but it doesn't provide the instantaneous responsiveness of an SSD.

on not by a mile - but sometimes you just need space over extra reed speeds.

I did an OCZ V3 SSD for OS/apps and a 500 Momentus XT hybrid on a caddy on a mini and it makes for a nice combo 

• Reply 32 of 129
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I think updates for Adobe products are imminent.    From the pictures, aside from being slightly thinner, the "body"  really doesn't look any different to me than my several year old MacBook Pro, so I don't know how it can be called "beautiful and exquisite" with the implication that it's different than past machines.  

Proportionally everything changes and therefore the fact that it is thinner makes it even more beautiful and exquisite than your model. You may disagree and find the chunkier model as exquisite, but that would be the general consensus. 

• Reply 33 of 129
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowbuster View Post

Here's a review that explains why the new non-Retina model is actually better:

It has been stated by Anandtech that even at the non-optimal resolutions, it still looks crisper/better than the older displays (even 1680x1050 high-density optional displays). Apple is applying 2x resolution on the resolution you choose, then downscaling from there. Much different than just taking the 2x graphic assets and downscaling it.

• Reply 34 of 129
    paxman wrote: »
    Proportionally everything changes and therefore the fact that it is thinner makes it even more beautiful and exquisite than your model. You may disagree and find the chunkier model as exquisite, but that would be the general consensus. 

Does this apply to other things as well? ;)
  • Reply 35 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Just for reference, my experience with they hybrid isn't that impressive. I have a 500 GB hybrid in my MBP and it's not all that much faster than the previous 7200 rpm drive. For some tasks, it's probably significant, but it doesn't provide the instantaneous responsiveness of an SSD.

How long ago did you get yours? The original generation of hybrids didn't speed anything up, but the latest generation makes very significant improvements, at least with the reviews I've read.
  • Reply 36 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    How long ago did you get yours? The original generation of hybrids didn't speed anything up, but the latest generation makes very significant improvements, at least with the reviews I've read.

I don't remember, but it was probably 1-2 years. The model number is ST95005620AS if that helps.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    FedEx delivered mine this morning, ordered on Monday from Apple Store.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

FedEx delivered mine this morning, ordered on Monday from Apple Store.

DIG YOU!!!  Your dog may have fleas, but YOU have a stunning laptop!!!!!!!!  That was fast.  Which model did you end up getting?

• Reply 39 of 129
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't remember, but it was probably 1-2 years. The model number is ST95005620AS if that helps.

That looks like a serial number if I am not mistaken.  The model number should have an M with an ending of LL/A.

• Reply 40 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jragosta wrote: »

I think that's the first generation. The second generation does make some nice improvements, but it might still not be enough for you. It does boot and load apps a lot closer to SSD times than HDD times.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5160/seagate-2nd-generation-momentus-xt-750gb-hybrid-hdd-review/1