First look: Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowbuster View Post

Here's a review that explains why the new non-Retina model is actually better:

In the "there I fixed it for you" dept:  "Here's a semi-informed review that explains why the new non-Retina model might actually be better for my needs:"

And see Anandtech articles below - other res's look fine to me as needed - and the review really doesn't take the SSD performance/price factor into account.  And doesn't mention weight in its "pros" (just "sleek").  PS: Never heard of Duglin.net.  Maybe it's trolling for controversy clicks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

exactly... this never made any sense to me - why am I paying for a sharper menu bar but with 1440X900 workspace, if I go to 1680X1050 I loose performance.

it just makes no sense to drop 2200 on this for a design workflow

Maybe, again, not for your workflow, but at least see below....

Quote:

Originally Posted by badtz View Post

It has been stated by Anandtech that even at the non-optimal resolutions, it still looks crisper/better than the older displays (even 1680x1050 high-density optional displays). Apple is applying 2x resolution on the resolution you choose, then downscaling from there. Much different than just taking the 2x graphic assets and downscaling it.

See:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5996/how-the-retina-display-macbook-pro-handles-scaling

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis

All kinds of usable workspaces to my eyes that will be even more so as programs are optimized.  

The only ding for me is knowing the 512 GB SSD will likely be offered next year for the price of this year's 256 - with maybe 8-9 hour battery life on the Ivy Bridge follow on - I keep machines for 3-5 years.  $200 for 16 GB of RAM I can handle.  But $600 to get upgraded on-board storage to what I'm already using (and a "meh" CPU speed bump) makes it harder to pull that trigger on this first rev - even though I NEED to replace my ancient laptop and desktop with one portable minimum compromises machine.

And yeah I know about if you keep waiting for perfect, you'll never buy, and $3000 won't kill me, etc.  Decisions, decisions......

• Reply 62 of 129
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's kind of confusing that the ports with little lighting bolts on them are *not* power connectors. I wonder how many people who don't know about Thunderbolt will be confused by that.

It's the same as the iMac port from last year and I haven't heard anybody complain about it.

• Reply 63 of 129

Quote:

on not by a mile - but sometimes you just need space over extra reed speeds.

I did an OCZ V3 SSD for OS/apps and a 500 Momentus XT hybrid on a caddy on a mini and it makes for a nice combo 

I have a mini with 256 SSD and 750 HD. Nice combo. I thought they might do that with the Retina, but I guess it added too much weight. OTOH you can get 750 SSD for $500 over the 512 SSD.

• Reply 64 of 129
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The 'retina' display is superb and even though the actual desktop space is equivalent to 1440x900 you can view and edit 1080p video in full resolution but it only consumes 2/3 of the display width whereas it doesn't even fit onto a 1680x1050 screen.  The same case is made for image manipulation.  

So although you have a workspace of 1440x900 it enables full scale viewing of media etc.  If you work with any image based media or just want a screen you can work with for long periods of time with reduced eye strain then there is no better solution in a laptop.

there used to be, it was called the 17" macbook pro, the screen was 1920x1200 of lovely

i've got a 15" mbp and a 17" mbp, the 15" gets used for appleseed and testing, the 17" is the one i work with, it's not about resolution, it's about image size at comfortable working distance, on the 17" i can render an a4 page lifesize, a 15" cannot

plus it's got more than enough space around the keyboard for my toasted sandwich and wine glass when travelling by air, it's these little touches that count

• Reply 65 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    steveh wrote: »
    As long as you don't need to worry about warranty service any more...

To be fair, the suggestion was adding SSD to an older MBP, so warranty service probably isn't an issue. You could say, however, that there's a risk of damaging something while replacing the hard drive. Some of the connectors are fairly fragile. However, with proper care, replacing a hard drive in most MBP models isn't that difficult.

irnchriz wrote: »
    The 'retina' display is superb and even though the actual desktop space is equivalent to 1440x900 you can view and edit 1080p video in full resolution but it only consumes 2/3 of the display width whereas it doesn't even fit onto a 1680x1050 screen.  The same case is made for image manipulation.  

So although you have a workspace of 1440x900 it enables full scale viewing of media etc.  If you work with any image based media or just want a screen you can work with for long periods of time with reduced eye strain then there is no better solution in a laptop.

That has not been established. It is not obvious that a 15" screen with twice the resolution would cause more eyestrain than a 17" screen with less resolution. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

Furthermore, it probably depends on the person.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    orthorim wrote: »
    Meh - hybrid HDDs are a marketing gimmick. Check out any benchmarks, they're usually as slow as the HDD they're based on. A real SSD is way faster.

That's not correct. There are plenty of benchmarks which show them to be nearly as fast as SSDs. See the link someone else provided above. The benchmarks that Seagate uses, for example, shows them to be 80-90% as fast as SSDs.

However, this is a case where you have to be VERY careful about the benchmark you choose. Hybrid hdds speed things up in very specific circumstances. If you regularly launch and quit the same app, it will speed up that app launching, for example. But that's not the way most people work, so the benchmarks are misleading.

Even the boot time benchmark is extremely misleading. If you reboot frequently, it might make a difference. However, I tend to reboot once a week or less. During that time, whatever 'boot' information is in NAND gets replaced with more recent information, so the boot time isn't significantly improved. Maybe it would be better with the newer 8 GB version, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For my average day to day use (which seems to mimic Anand's benchmark), hybrids don't do very much.
  • Reply 67 of 129
    davidbdavidb Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Quote:

you know you can just buy an SSD and put it in a legacy MacBook Pro. Also a 500gig hybrid is 100 buck.

As long as you don't need to worry about warranty service any more...

Could you please explain? As far as I know the legacy MacBook Pro owner's manuals give instructions for user replacement of the hard drive and memory.

• Reply 68 of 129
    n3on3o Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Are you certain? Something in the back of dusty memory says that a display was by Thunderbolt spec definition to be the terminal device in a TB chain.

Yes. The LED Cinema Display, which was DisplayPort instead of Thunderbolt, would be the terminal device like you said. As would any other DisplayPort display.

• Reply 69 of 129
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

Just heard from a few people that the retina display MBP lags - scrolling in Safari or iTunes is stuttery and slow, as is editing video in iMovie.

Is that true? 

Please make it not so (mine's on order)...

Edit: Looks like that's just without the trackpad update installed. Nothing to see here, move along...

On MacRumors they have a thread where they did all kinds of experiments. The conclusion are as follows (using the base, weakest model):

1) In Apple store, with or without discrete GPU, there is noticeable lag on ALL resolutions. Based on 2) that I'm about the describe, the conclusion is that the software loaded on the RMBPs in store is buggy.

2) On user's computers, with the trackpad update, and running Lion, there is still some lag, on all resolutions with both graphic cards, especially in iTunes and on some sites in Safari. Nothing nearly as bad as in Apple Stores though.

3) On user's computers, with Mountain Lion DP4, there is no longer any noticeable lag, as demonstrated in multiple videos and tests, on any resolution, using the Intel HD 4000. iTunes is still buggy though and would therefore like require an update. 

Conclusion, with Mountain Lion there is pretty much no longer any problem whatsoever, indicating it isn't the Intel GPU which can't handle Retina displays, but rather the problem pertains to, thus far, poor driver implementation in Lion.

• Reply 70 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    davidb wrote: »
    Could you please explain? As far as I know the legacy MacBook Pro owner's manuals give instructions for user replacement of the hard drive and memory.

My understanding is that your warranty remains intact so long as you don't damage anything in the act of performing the upgrade. If you torqued a connector somewhere or something like that, then they're probably going to charge you to replace the part.

If you're really worried about it, you can pay an Apple authorized service center to do the upgrade for you. Machines of some generations are better than others, so you probably should go look up some instructions. The iFixit guides are very good, if you get all the recommended tools, set aside some time to avoid rushing, follow the directions step by step, and keep proper track of the screws, you'll be fine.
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's not correct. There are plenty of benchmarks which show them to be nearly as fast as SSDs. See the link someone else provided above. The benchmarks that Seagate uses, for example, shows them to be 80-90% as fast as SSDs.
    However, this is a case where you have to be VERY careful about the benchmark you choose. Hybrid hdds speed things up in very specific circumstances. If you regularly launch and quit the same app, it will speed up that app launching, for example. But that's not the way most people work, so the benchmarks are misleading.
    Even the boot time benchmark is extremely misleading. If you reboot frequently, it might make a difference. However, I tend to reboot once a week or less. During that time, whatever 'boot' information is in NAND gets replaced with more recent information, so the boot time isn't significantly improved. Maybe it would be better with the newer 8 GB version, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    For my average day to day use (which seems to mimic Anand's benchmark), hybrids don't do very much.

That's unfortunate, I was hoping the devices were smarter about what they cached into the flash section. I think it can be done, but not with this apparent attitude of "phoning it in".
  • Reply 71 of 129
    djames4242 wrote: »
    Nope - the Pros went to the right-angle around the time of the Unibody. Makes one wonder if Apple has real-world data from their Genius Bars indicating that the angled magsafe connectors were less likely to release causing more laptops to be damaged from tripping. I've been through three of the straight-on connectored adapters (one was replaced under AppleCare) while the two angled adapters are still working perfectly.

Incorrect.  Pros where right angle well.  I think they switch because the cord on the right angle would be blocking the TB ports.
    desuserign wrote: »
    The Pros were originally straight. But it sounds like they moved to right angle at some point, as you indicate.

I didn't realize they changed. I don't upgrade often, so I didn't know that detail. My buddy's early MBP Unibody was straight, but his is a few years old. The regular Unibodies in the Apple Store were right angle. I wonder why they only switched on the Retina model.
  • Reply 72 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I didn't realize they changed. I don't upgrade often, so I didn't know that detail. My buddy's early MBP Unibody was straight, but his is a few years old. The regular Unibodies in the Apple Store were right angle. I wonder why they only switched on the Retina model.

I don't know why they reverted back to the straight on model, but the straight model had high failure rates. When you twist or bend them, they tend to break at the juncture where the cable meets the connector. The seem cracks and then the connections become loose inside. This happened to me twice and they needed to replace the adapters under AppleCare warranty. Over time, even if you are very careful with them, just bumping them or moving the computer around when they are connected puts a lot of strain on the cable and its seem.

When they changed my adapters both times the geniuses mentioned this was a very common problem with those adapters. The second time they replaced my Magsafe they gave me the right-angled one as a replacement, and the Genius mentioned this model was much better. He might have just been saying that, but this one has lasted considerably longer than the other two and shows no sign of deterioration. In fact when you look at the right-angled ones carefully, you notice the metal casing actually reinforces the rubber at its thickest part in such a way that the seem doesn't have to take the majority of the stress from the cable being tugged or bent. I suspect the right-angled ones are still vulnerable to breaking when twisted, but these adapters seem far better designed in terms of durability.

This all raises the question though, why then did the RMBPs revert to the old straight models? I don't know. I haven't received my RMBP yet so I can't examine the adapter, but I think it is likely as one poster already mentioned, so as to ensure they are not unidirectional. The adapter would obviously block the TB port if put in the wrong direction. The right-angled magsafes are less convenient to use than the straight on model for that very reason. Perhaps then many users complained enough that Apple realized those voices outnumbered the complaints regarding the durability of the straight-on model.

• Reply 73 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Shadowbuster makes his first and only post about how the RMBP sucks with a hyperlink to this "review"? Sounds like someone was looking ofr page hits on their site to me.

johndoe98 wrote: »
    I don't know why they reverted back to the straight on model, but the straight model had high failure rates. When you twist or bend them, they tend to break at the juncture where the cable meets the connector.

Considering Apple knew this and then changed it... and then changed it back I have to assume they have their reasons and have sorted it out. The new MagSafe connector does look considerably larger than the original.

Perhaps the side mounted cable didn't allow for a proper "pop off" when tension was applied thus causing the connectors to wear improperly if pulled sideways or making the utility of MagSafe considerably less effective if one were to trip on the cable.

Anyone want to cut into the two straight cabled connectors to see what differences are inside?
  • Reply 74 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Shadowbuster makes his first and only post about how the RMBP sucks with a hyperlink to this "review"? Sounds like someone was looking ofr page hits on their site to me.

Considering Apple knew this and then changed it... and then changed it back I have to assume they have their reasons and have sorted it out. The new MagSafe connector does look considerably larger than the original.

Perhaps the side mounted cable didn't allow for a proper "pop off" when tension was applied thus causing the connectors to wear improperly if pulled sideways or making the utility of MagSafe considerably less effective if one were to trip on the cable.

Anyone want to cut into the two straight cabled connectors to see what differences are inside?

This is actually a very good point. I notice that these right-angled ones don't really pop-off at all. Often, being the clumsy idiot that I am, I trip on my wires. The Magsafe adapter, rather than pop-off like the old models did, often just let the dam power plug come out of its socket. When I trip hard enough they will pop-out, so thankfully I never had the laptop fly off the desk. But often the way the cable tugs is parallel to the way the connector is attached which makes it very hard to pop off. Try it yourself, pull the cable perfectly aligned with the metal cylindric casing (not too hard, don't wanna pull the cable out of its socket). When you align the tug just right, it takes quite a bit of force... That isn't the case at all with the straight-on model since the magnets are pretty weak.

• Reply 75 of 129
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,416moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »

It looks like it has a metal cover on the end instead of plastic:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167220/magsafe_2_featured_in_apples_latest_laptops.html

but in the picture, it looks like the joining point is going to be fragile. The cable is soft and then it suddenly goes into a rigid connector. That will create a lot of pressure at the joining point. They should taper the plastic going into the connector so that the pressure is distributed over a longer part of the cable instead of being focused at a single point. They used to taper the powerbook connectors. They could also use slightly thicker plastic on the cable - they are far too flimsy. They could even be flattened like the Mini power cable to help prevent twisting.
  • Reply 76 of 129

As great as this machine looks, anybody who has history with an older Mac Book Pro should reconsider.

My experience with my latest Mac Book Pro.  The battery has been replaced twice, the RAM has been upgraded, the HD has been replaced twice, and the graphics were recalled by Apple.  Most of these easy repairs I did myself by simply watching YouTube videos.  This Mac is almost 5 years old and is better today than when I purchased it.

These new Retina Display Mac's all but take away the ability to upgrade, repair and re-use.  The glass is fused to the frame.  The RAM is soldered to the logic board.  The batteries are glued to the frame.  You need a very special proprietary tool to access the screws inside the machine.

Apple has built an incredible machine with the new Retina Display ... but this machine is on the clock from the moment you buy it.

• Reply 77 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apple has built an incredible machine with the new Retina Display ... but this machine is on the clock from the moment you buy it.

Just like every machine ever made by anyone. Upgrade your RAM and swap your hard drives all you want… it's still a laptop. Good luck changing the CPU and GPU.

Stop the FUD.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    johndoe98 wrote: »
    I don't know why they reverted back to the straight on model, but the straight model had high failure rates. When you twist or bend them, they tend to break at the juncture where the cable meets the connector. The seem cracks and then the connections become loose inside. This happened to me twice and they needed to replace the adapters under AppleCare warranty. Over time, even if you are very careful with them, just bumping them or moving the computer around when they are connected puts a lot of strain on the cable and its seem.

When they changed my adapters both times the geniuses mentioned this was a very common problem with those adapters. The second time they replaced my Magsafe they gave me the right-angled one as a replacement, and the Genius mentioned this model was much better. He might have just been saying that, but this one has lasted considerably longer than the other two and shows no sign of deterioration. In fact when you look at the right-angled ones carefully, you notice the metal casing actually reinforces the rubber at its thickest part in such a way that the seem doesn't have to take the majority of the stress from the cable being tugged or bent. I suspect the right-angled ones are still vulnerable to breaking when twisted, but these adapters seem far better designed in terms of durability.

This all raises the question though, why then did the RMBPs revert to the old straight models? I don't know. I haven't received my RMBP yet so I can't examine the adapter, but I think it is likely as one poster already mentioned, so as to ensure they are not unidirectional. The adapter would obviously block the TB port if put in the wrong direction. The right-angled magsafes are less convenient to use than the straight on model for that very reason. Perhaps then many users complained enough that Apple realized those voices outnumbered the complaints regarding the durability of the straight-on model.

It's not a reversion to the old model, at the very least, it's an updated connector. I don't think those problems are unsolvable with that style connector. I agree that the original wasn't secured very well, and it looks to me like a problem that can be fixed.

solipsismx wrote: »

Good thought. I axed Shadowbuster's post and reply links just in case. If he's for real, then he can respond.

Just like every machine ever made by anyone. Upgrade your RAM and swap your hard drives all you want… it's still a laptop. Good luck changing the CPU and GPU.
    Stop the FUD.

There is some point to the complaint though. I've often been able to significantly extend the service life of a computer just by upgrading its memory and storage, because those are the slowest components. For example, the computer I have on my laser engraver is about ten years old now.
  • Reply 79 of 129
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Tiny little nitpick: I hope Apple fixed the light leaks around the edges of the keys when the keyboard backlighting is on.  The edge lighting is uneven and you can see through the gaps.  Just a minor cosmetic issue.

I hope Apple eventually replaces the plastic keys with glass too.  But no, not holding my breath on that one.  Would be nice though.  :-)

I've got 'glass keys' and retina display, and 4G LTE in an incredibly thin and light iPad that cost less than $900. Just sayin, Apple has you covered.
  • Reply 80 of 129
    messmess Posts: 32member

Like anyone cares but this is just all the more proof that Apple no longer wishes to sell computers to PROFESSIONALS.  I don't know, maybe someone at Apple reads these boards, and these do not exist just to help sell more Apple products...

The new MacBook "Pro" is not a "Pro" product at all!.  Apple should be ashamed  to place that moniker on this release!  This is the least upgradable computer I've ever seen -- at least until Thunderbolt expansion options start to be reasonably priced and proven. The memory is soldered to the main board, meaning you are stuck with what ever you bought for the life of the product. It comes with a solid state drive as its only storage source -- it too is proprietary and cannot be replaced by a user "pro" or not.  The battery is "glued" in so at the BEST you will have to return to Apple to have it replaced when it dies.  It is basically a throw away computer -- not suitable for "pros" really.  It is a computer for "dummies".  There is not much you can screw up outside of dropping it in the bathtub or something else really abusive or plain stupid like any other electric appliance.

Moreover, I believe the 15" display is too small for "pro" use (Retina display or not).  The type of things I do require screen real estate -- not to make things more readable as much as to get everything that needs to be seen at once at a size that is reasonable.  I had 1600 x1200 15" display and the resolution was fine in terms of detail, but to get everything I need to see on the screen at once, it was soooo small I nearly went blind.  This might not apply to others and it is possible to hook up a second monitor if you are at home or care to carry one around with you.

To sum up, it is not a computer I would buy! Performance boost or not...