Comments

• Reply 21 of 157
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Let's see now.

• iPod resulted in iPad

• so Zune results in Zene

• Reply 22 of 157
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    It will come with viruses preloaded, and a BSOD as its default desktop wallpaper, no doubt. But, it will certainly be a wond'rous thing for the Apple haters to behold.
  • Reply 23 of 157
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

But seriously, Apple built their comeback OS on tried and tested UNIX-based underpinnings. If MS is going to get into the game they would be better off adopting a workable platform and putting value add into something other than the underlying system, e.g. do what Amazon did with Android, though it's hard to see where they would start in terms of a compelling offering on content.

• Reply 24 of 157
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Doesn't the XboX have an extremely high failure rate? Perhaps the highest failure rate of an consumer electronics device, ever?

[URL=http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-failure-rate-542-6215590]GameSpot.com reports[/URL] that "... The September issue of the Minnesota-based, GameStop-owned magazine features the results of the survey, which found that a whopping 54.2 percent of Xbox 360 owners surveyed reported having the console fail on them once..." "... Perhaps more damning, 41.2 percent of 360 owners had a second hardware malfunction--meaning that potentially 12.36 million people have had their consoles fail again..."

[URL=http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-failure-rate-237-ps3-10-wii-27-study-6216691]GameSpot indicated[/URL] that "... As with the Game Informer study, SquareTrade found that the Xbox 360's failure rate was far higher than its rivals. Some 23.7 percent of those surveyed failed within two years of purchase: 12 percent from the infamous "Red Ring of Death" and 11.7 percent from other problems, including the "E74" error..."

Microsof't response? New, slimmer design which removed the possibility of "Red Ring of Death" and no longer offering a three year warranty "because this is a new design."

This is exactly the type of company from which I want to purchase consumer electronics.
  • Reply 25 of 157
    Microsoft rumored to have ALREADY made tablets 10 years ago.
  • Reply 26 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

...only the control, alt, and delete keys.

...and F8.  Gotta be able to boot in safe mode.

• Reply 27 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not really feeling those huge tiles on the screen, not to mention the disgusting colors which might cause seizures in certain people. The tablet might be useful for bulimic people though and they should definitely check it out.

Since I'm not a retard, I'm not in pre school, and I also have good taste, I will regretfully have to pass on this tablet, as I am obviously not part of their intended demographic.

• Reply 28 of 157
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Bring it on, Microsoft. I have a distinct feeling this will backfire on MS in a huge way. I predict it will lead to Ballmer's ouster.

• Reply 29 of 157
    richsadamsrichsadams Posts: 129member

Well...say what you will, but I'm already preparing for a ZunePad launch party!!

NOTE: Sickness bags can be found in the seat pocket in front of you.

• Reply 30 of 157
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipm View Post

But seriously, Apple built their comeback OS on tried and tested UNIX-based underpinnings. If MS is going to get into the game they would be better off adopting a workable platform and putting value add into something other than the underlying system, e.g. do what Amazon did with Android, though it's hard to see where they would start in terms of a compelling offering on content.

In all fairness, there is very little information on what "Windows RT" is even comprised of.  Most articles on it merely mention the hardware spec.  

Also, if anyone can do an "Amazon play" by tying the tablet into content sources, it's Microsoft.  They have an enormous amount of content deals in place relative to other players like Samsung or Google. 

• Reply 31 of 157
    axualaxual Posts: 244member

So dozens upon dozens of Wintel hardware manufacturers are unable to compete ... and now MS, builder of mice expects to be able to build a device to compete?  This, I want to see.

• Reply 32 of 157
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member

If this tablet compares with ipad 2 for speed and price, and ships with microsoft office.

It might actually be interesting!

• Reply 33 of 157
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    c4rlob wrote: »
    It never gets old, watching Microsoft play the role of Wiley Coyote to Road Runner, or Penguin to Batman.

Don't insult Wiley Coyote like that.
  • Reply 34 of 157
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Doesn't the XboX have an extremely high failure rate? Perhaps the highest failure rate of an consumer electronics device, ever?

GameSpot.com reports that "... The September issue of the Minnesota-based, GameStop-owned magazine features the results of the survey, which found that a whopping 54.2 percent of Xbox 360 owners surveyed reported having the console fail on them once..." "... Perhaps more damning, 41.2 percent of 360 owners had a second hardware malfunction--meaning that potentially 12.36 million people have had their consoles fail again..."

GameSpot indicated that "... As with the Game Informer study, SquareTrade found that the Xbox 360's failure rate was far higher than its rivals. Some 23.7 percent of those surveyed failed within two years of purchase: 12 percent from the infamous "Red Ring of Death" and 11.7 percent from other problems, including the "E74" error..."

Microsof't response? New, slimmer design which removed the possibility of "Red Ring of Death" and no longer offering a three year warranty "because this is a new design."

This is exactly the type of company from which I want to purchase consumer electronics.

XBox was crap, but they still sold a bazillion units.  Also Microsoft's slave company Nokia has some real hardware chops.  This will likely be a Nokia made tablet. 

Microsoft will find some way to f*ck it up no doubt, but it's not a certain failure at the moment IMO.  

I'm mostly interested in seeing an actual ARM version of Word (if they have it, I kind of doubt they will).  Even if they don't make an iPad version (and I'm almost certain they won't), at least we will see some "head to head" feature by feature comparisons with Pages for iPad, which sorely needs some competition and some fresh eyes IMO. 

• Reply 35 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I think Dr. Doofenschmirtz is a better example.

But, can Doofenschmirtz do the monkey dance??  

• Reply 36 of 157
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member

Talk about massive consumer confusion. What's the "real" Windows tablet? Is it the Atom tablets, because they can run old software? Or is it the tablets that come from MS, but run on ARM? Or something else? 

It sounds like MS is going to just launch every possible permutation of tablet and hope that one of them sells. It's the old "see what sticks" strategy. 

• Reply 37 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by axual View Post

So dozens upon dozens of Wintel hardware manufacturers are unable to compete ... and now MS, builder of mice expects to be able to build a device to compete?  This, I want to see.

More interestingly, what will the dozens upon dozens of Wintel hardware manufacturers think about Microsoft competing with them??

I don't see Microsoft being so dumb as to go head to head with the manufacturer base they rely on to promote Microsoft's cash cow on their wintel computers. Furthermore, if MS were anywhere ready to build millions of anything this year, the rumor mills would be buzzing about some of the components. 

• Reply 38 of 157
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

I forgot all about those Windows 7 launch party videos... Thanks for posting that! Waaaay too funny!

• Reply 39 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

If this tablet compares with ipad 2 for speed and price, and ships with microsoft office.

It might actually be interesting!

Now THAT would be what Ballmer will claim it will do... What they ship will be a wholly lesser product. Remember, MS always ships beta products. Remember the high failure rate of the early Xboxes?? Remember the blue screen of death, or the red ring of death? Remember the Zune and the Kin?

Remember, "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that?"

• Reply 40 of 157
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by veblen View Post

If I were one of their hardware partners for tablets I would not be happy at all with this news.  First there is the rumored $80 fee per tablet for their RT OS and now a competing tablet.  Not a good partner to have.

Not a rumor. www.extremetech.com wrote:

"...confirmed by multiple vendors at Computex in Taiwan, the Windows RT license cost is only $80-95."

"Compare this to Android (free), iOS (effectively free), Windows Phone 7 ($30), or even Windows 7 (around $50)".

I'm baffled as well as to why a third party would develop a Windows RT (ugh, that name!) device starting with a $80+ disadvantage and given Microsoft's history of screwing "partners"/competitors.