Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 157
    jca666usjca666us Posts: 87member
    [QUOTE]IF Microsoft is truly honest with itself, they will realize that the consumer market is all tied up... for now at least... by Apple and Google. What neither of those competitors (include RIM here as well) have... or are going to have any time soon... is the deep reach into the backrooms of the enterprise that MS does.[/QUOTE]

Considering how blatantly Microsoft has attempted to copy the Apple Store with those Microsoft Stores, I think being honest with themselves was out of the question years ago.

The best way for Microsoft to try and compete with the iPad, is to do the things the iPad does, but better. Not throw everything but the kitchen sink into windows 8 - alas, I think it's too late for that.
  • Reply 122 of 157
    ray bartray bart Posts: 91member
    thats a good point . to compete they have to go to a whole new level of specs.
  • Reply 123 of 157
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

They have the slowest photocopiers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Exactly. 

One word: Zune.

Oh I don't know, I think Microsoft has a few successful brands here and there.. Have you heard of Windows? Or Xbox?

• Reply 124 of 157
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'm sure Apple is quivering. This meme of 'X product to take on i-Product' is hilariously consistent in its results. 

• Reply 125 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

1. I hope that you don't think this UI looks better then even a crappy Android tablet. 

dell-win-8-1337890472.jpg

That is one horrible UI.  Nothing but similar looking blocks, and LOTS of wasted screen space.  

I wonder if it can be configured to be better though?  Is this just the "Stock" arrangement, color scheme, etc?

• Reply 126 of 157

Quote:

1. I hope that you don't think this UI looks better then even a crappy Android tablet. 

That is one horrible UI.  Nothing but similar looking blocks, and LOTS of wasted screen space.  

I wonder if it can be configured to be better though?  Is this just the "Stock" arrangement, color scheme, etc?

• Reply 127 of 157

Quote:

• Reply 128 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

• Reply 129 of 157

Quote:

• Reply 130 of 157

Quote:

• Reply 131 of 157

Quote:

• Reply 132 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure multiple logins make sense (I'd even like a Secure Auto Login* feature for Mac OS) but I would like there to be a way you can allow guest access from the lock screen for limited app access, like web browser, Find My Friends, and other apps with limited accessibility in much the same way that you can now use the camera app.

Are you using a paradigm of one user per iPad and one iPad per user?  A "personal": machine that you use pretty much every time and that generally, nobody else uses?

I think that this model will change over the next several years when we have lots of different older tablets laying around the house.  I think that there will be tablets dedicated to locations and uses, rather than dedicated to a single user.

For example, there will be a tablet or two on the coffee table.  Everyone would just grab tghe nicer one first and the older one second.  There might be a weatherproof one that gets taken to the beach or the park or on a picnic or camping.

Going to a rock concert, you might say that your kid can bring a tablet, but it will have to be the old beat up ca. 2011 Kindle Fire, or nothing.

The post PC era I think will be an era of ubiquitous computing, and the one person==one device model may well end.

• Reply 133 of 157
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've seen Windows tablets with dedicated, physical Control+Alt+Delete buttons. You press the button and it's the same as that key combo.

And no one seemed to notice the problem with this being NECESSARY on a shipping device.

The combination is Home Key + Power. This is only used for enterprises and corporations that's OPTIONAL. On a consumer tablet, this is never needed.

• Reply 134 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    kevinn206 wrote: »
    On a consumer tablet, this is never needed.

Until the system freezes and you need to quit an application.
  • Reply 135 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJBauer View Post

It will have to, how else will you restart it when it locks up?

It has to have a Crtl, Alt, Delete key sequence.

Yeah kinda like how the iPad and iPhone never need to be forced restarting.

How does the iPhone & iPad restart from a lockup? 

Hint: Hold down Power + Home key until it restarts.

• Reply 136 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Until the system freezes and you need to quit an application.

The combination is for Windows 8 with Intel processor. The combination is not intended to "force a restart". It exposes six options: Lock, Switch User, Sign out, Task Manager, Accessibility, and Power. The quickest way to unfreeze the system is to force a system restart. All tablets & phones these days have this built-in at the hardware level.

• Reply 137 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    kevinn206 wrote: »
    The combination is for Windows 8 with Intel processor. The combination is not intended to "force a restart". It exposes six options: Lock, Switch User, Sign out, Task Manager, Accessibility, and Power. The quickest way to unfreeze the system is to force a system restart. All tablets & phones these days have this built-in at the hardware level.

Why would I want to do that when there's a feature built into the OS on the device designed so I don't have to do that?
  • Reply 138 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

Windows 8-RT have a hardware reset. When you throw the damn thing across the room the accelerometer senses the frustration and restarts the device and wipes all the memory.

• Reply 139 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Windows 8-RT have a hardware reset. When you throw the damn thing across the room the accelerometer senses the frustration and restarts the device and wipes all the memory.

Are we sure you don't have to open up the tablets, remove and then reseat the battery, and while you're in there reseat the RAM, HDD drive, CPU, GPU, the ports daughter board, etc. because only Apple hates their customers enough to actually make items that can't be replaced by DIYers¡
  • Reply 140 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

You can customize the home screen (start screen) by YOUR preferences. When you first create an account, you are asked to choose:

1. Background (theme) color

2. Background style

Again, it makes no sense to judge this based on SOMEONE'S else settings. Once you set it up to your life, then you'll see it makes a lot of sense. Do you realize that the iPad home screen can hold 25 icons at any given time? The Windows 8 home screen can hold about 40! You are right, that's a lot of wasted space!

And since it supports multiple accounts, your spouse can have his/her own sets of apps. Or someone borrowing it to use the Internet can log into a "guest" account for web browsing without access to your personal stuff (emails, calendars, etc...).