Microsoft rumored to build its own tablets to take on Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 157
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

If Microsoft are smart, they'll use either Android or Symbian to run their own tablets.

• Reply 42 of 157
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

I heard a rumor that Toys-R-Us is making it.

LL

• Reply 43 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bring it on, Microsoft. I have a distinct feeling this will backfire on MS in a huge way. I predict it will lead to Ballmer's ouster.

No! No! I want to see the fat monkey boy ride this rocket all the way down to the ground...!

• Reply 44 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

It will come with viruses preloaded, and a BSOD as its default desktop wallpaper, no doubt. But, it will certainly be a wond'rous thing for the Apple haters to behold.

You forgot loaded with crapware and covered in stickers!

Don't forget, boys and girls, the MS Craplet will be delivered right to your home in a plain brown carton. No need to embarrass yourself by slinking alone into a MS store!

• Reply 45 of 157
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

I'll stick with the original vision, thank you.

MicroApple.jpg

• Reply 46 of 157
    drandalldrandall Posts: 13member

so after trumpeting the superiority of a "open" multi-vendor approach, microsoft finally realizes that the only way to ensure things work as they should is to do everything yourself and adopt a "closed" system.

ironies abound 

• Reply 47 of 157
    Two years ago, the haters said the Giant iPod Touch would fail. One of my friends even predicted it would become Steve Jobs' Newton. And sixteen years ago, the common wisdom and advice was that software had won, and that Apple should copy Microsoft's strategy of licensing their OS promiscuously and exit the hardware business altogether.

Where are those same know-it all-pundits now, John Dvorak of PC Magazine? Oh right, they're Apple users now.

Are the haters starting to grasp what THINK DIFFERENT really means?
  • Reply 48 of 157
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Two years ago, the haters said the Giant iPod Touch would fail. One of my friends even predicted it would become Steve Jobs' Newton. And sixteen years ago, the common wisdom and advice was that software had won, and that Apple should copy Microsoft's strategy of licensing their OS promiscuously and exit the hardware business altogether.

Where are those same know-it all-pundits now, John Dvorak of PC Magazine? Oh right, they're Apple users now.

Are the haters starting to grasp what THINK DIFFERENT really means?

lol...ok

• Reply 49 of 157
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

But, can Doofenschmirtz do the monkey dance??  

Perhaps not - but he did have the Monkey-Slave-inator http://phineasandferb.wikia.com/wiki/File:Monkey_Slave-inator.png ;

• Reply 50 of 157
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Where are those same know-it all-pundits now, John Dvorak of PC Magazine?

Mr. "noone I know wants to use this newfangled 'mouse' thing"? He's still at it:

Quote:

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone

...It's the loyalists who keep promoting this device as if it is going to be anything other than another phone in a crowded market. 

...There is no likelihood that Apple can be successful in a business this competitive.

...What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it's smart it will call the iPhone a "reference design" and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures. It should do that immediately before it's too late. Samsung Electronics Ltd. (US:SSNGY) might be a candidate. Otherwise I'd advise you to cover your eyes. You're not going to like what you'll see."

Okay, so that was 5 years ago. But he's still an idiot, rivalled only by Ballmer. And he's still getting paid for being embarrassingly wrong, over and over again.

Not bad work, if you can get it.

• Reply 51 of 157
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Building their own is a great way to make Dell et al feel good about Microsoft as their OS supplier.
  • Reply 52 of 157
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member

You should add quotes (i.e., "Safe Mode") because booting into Windows is never really safe no matter what you hold down.

• Reply 53 of 157
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Mr. "noone I know wants to use this newfangled 'mouse' thing"? He's still at it:

Okay, so that was 5 years ago. But he's still an idiot, rivaled only by Ballmer. And he's still getting paid for being embarrassingly wrong, over and over again.

Not bad work, if you can get it.

This is great news, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I really hope these things take off as there really isn't reason why they shouldn't. I happen to like the Metro interface and if Microsoft embraces more media codecs then Apple does like Divx. Flash, ect. I will defiantly pick one up to use as a media pad. We need more competition not less, with Apples latest iOS 6 release it seems that they are now becoming complacent and if Microsoft is successful we will hopefully finally get a newer, better UI for the now aging iOS to compete. Just wishing here.

• Reply 54 of 157
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

XBox was crap, but they still sold a bazillion units.  Also Microsoft's slave company Nokia has some real hardware chops.  This will likely be a Nokia made tablet. 

Microsoft will find some way to f*ck it up no doubt, but it's not a certain failure at the moment IMO.  

Nokia as the subcontractor was my guess as well if this has any validity.  BTW, the high failure rate of X-Boxes has been posted several times here, but my sense is the reliability/failure problems have been largely solved for well over a year now. (That's irrespective of whatever else may be said about it - I could care less since I don't game, but I do value accurate info being passed around in these little discussions we have here.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm mostly interested in seeing an actual ARM version of Word (if they have it, I kind of doubt they will).  Even if they don't make an iPad version (and I'm almost certain they won't), at least we will see some "head to head" feature by feature comparisons with Pages for iPad, which sorely needs some competition and some fresh eyes IMO. 

They'd previously announced (in a Sinofsky blog post I think) that the "regular" version of Office will be the sole "Windows" app in Win RT tabs - and I haven't any later reports.  So the first part of that does seem doubtful for the near-term.  

However, I'm almost certain they WILL make an iPad version of Word - and Excel and PowerPoint.  They've not only dropped broad hints, they can't afford NOT have their main apps on the emerging market that's eventually going to dwarf PC's - and keeping a lock on the "lingua franca" of word processing and spreadsheet formats is absolutely critical to their future - since they have to know they're going to be a minor OS player in mobile for at least years to come.  They also make excellent money on Office for Mac.  Mac owners have always upgraded their apps more than Win users do - even their MS ones!  And if they do that (or even if they don't), an eventual metro'd Win RT office seems inevitable as well.

Though, even if I'm correct about that, they're much less likely to release Office anytime soon on Android - at least as long as Android's share of the tablet market remains insignificant - especially in the Enterprise and SMB markets.  

Lots of posters here seem locked in the '90's wars, but in reality Apple and MS are relatively speaking best buds compared to MS and Google in recent years.  

• Reply 55 of 157
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

"Game On!"

• Reply 56 of 157
    mjbauermjbauer Posts: 11member

It will have to, how else will you restart it when it locks up?

It has to have a Crtl, Alt, Delete key sequence.

• Reply 57 of 157
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jollypaul wrote: »
    Not a rumor. www.extremetech.com wrote:

[SIZE=12px]"...<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:ProximaNovaRgRegular, arial, sans-serif;line-height:22px;">confirmed by multiple vendors at Computex in Taiwan, the Windows RT license cost is only $80-95."</span>
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:ProximaNovaRgRegular, arial, sans-serif;line-height:22px;">"Compare this to Android (free), iOS (effectively free), Windows Phone 7 ($30), or even Windows 7 (around $50)".</span>
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px]<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:ProximaNovaRgRegular, arial, sans-serif;line-height:22px;">I'm baffled as well as to why a third party would develop a Windows RT (ugh, that name!) device starting with a $80+ disadvantage and given Microsoft's history of screwing "partners"/competitors.</span>
    [/SIZE]

That's just amazing. Microsoft wants $80 per device - when most of the devices will probably sell for $200-300? What are they smoking?

And, more importantly, if they're getting that much of a license fee, why bother making the hardware?
  • Reply 58 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mjbauer wrote: »
    It will have to, how else will you restart it when it locks up?

It has to have a Crtl, Alt, Delete key sequence.

I've seen Windows tablets with dedicated, physical Control+Alt+Delete buttons. You press the button and it's the same as that key combo.

And no one seemed to notice the problem with this being NECESSARY on a shipping device.
  • Reply 59 of 157
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member

Bomber, introducing a Microshaft-built tablet ?? Now THAT'S funny...

• Reply 60 of 157
    satorical wrote: »
    Exactly. 

One word: Zune.

One word: KIN