Nokia credit now labeled junk by all three major credit-rating agencies

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

This can't bode well for Microsoft and WP7.

I'm betting that Microsoft will either bailout Nokia or buy them outright for Nokia's capacity to make new Windows phones in the future.

• Reply 42 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Hmmm, RIM, NOKIA, Microsoft all laughed at Apple back in 2007. Wow, tables have turned. 360! That's karma for you, betch!

Tables have turned 360? I LOL'd. 

In other news, we Americans still collectively suck at math.

On a tangent, this reminds me of how Bill Gates wrote that being able to factor large prime numbers would be a huge advance in mathematics in his book "The Road Ahead". Think about that statement for a minute. I'm fairly sure he was serious. :) Hopefully someone fixed it in subsequent printings.

• Reply 43 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

On a tangent, this reminds me of how Bill Gates wrote that being able to factor large prime numbers would be a huge advance in mathematics in his book "The Road Ahead". Think about that statement for a minute. I'm fairly sure he was serious. :) Hopefully someone fixed it in subsequent printings.

It's a cruel joke that the worst you are at math the larger your comparative value is.
  • Reply 44 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post

On a tangent, this reminds me of .....

LOL. Your own post proves your point.

Explain what a 'tangency' has to do with the point you're making?

Add: /s

• Reply 45 of 128
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    xmiku wrote: »
    This can happen to anyone, even to Apple. And I'm sure Apple won't dominate forever. It is only matter of time.

True.... but Apple also has a habit of re-inventing themselves and entering new markets. I just don't think companies like Nokia are able to do that.

Remember when Apple only sold computers? Then they jumped in the MP3 player market and eventually ended up changing the music industry in the process.

Then they said "let's make a phone" and we're still seeing the effects of that. Same with tablets.

As long as Apple keeps making high margin devices.... and people keep buying them... they will be fine.

Only 1 out of 10 phones sold across the entire world is made by Apple... yet they make more money than the rest of the industry combined. Something is obviously working...

If people stopped buying iPhones... then yes... we might see an article like this saying Apple's credit is in the toilet. Then again... Apple has $100 billion in the bank in case of an emergency.

But I really don't think people will stop buying Apple products any time soon.
  • Reply 46 of 128
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    kpluck wrote: »
    Then you are just a silly fanboy. It is a nice phone that by all accounts performs quite well.

-kpluck

Thank you for saying that, you know there was once upon a time that Apple was in the same boat. Nokia is a company that deserves more then what has been served lately. I hope by this time next year things are going to look better, I'm tired of Android and iOS being the only two success stories for mobile, especially when their not very good. Android, though open and free has no direction and iOS is closed tighter then a dolphins ass, I'm tired of a company dictating what I can do with my device. I want more and Nokia takes risks, my new 808 is fantastic, I have never seen such photos. I just hope they won't go away, it will be a sad day.
  • Reply 47 of 128
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    True.... but Apple also has a habit of re-inventing themselves and entering new markets. I just don't think companies like Nokia are able to do that.
    Remember when Apple only sold computers? Then they jumped in the MP3 player market and eventually ended up changing the music industry in the process.
    Then they said "let's make a phone" and we're still seeing the effects of that. Same with tablets.
    As long as Apple keeps making high margin devices.... and people keep buying them... they will be fine.
    Only 1 out of 10 phones sold across the entire world is made by Apple... yet they make more money than the rest of the industry combined. Something is obviously working...
    If people stopped buying iPhones... then yes... we might see an article like this saying Apple's credit is in the toilet. Then again... Apple has $100 billion in the bank in case of an emergency.
    But I really don't think people will stop buying Apple products any time soon.

Yes but they had a lot of help from a genius. It's already starting to show, iOS 6 would have never flown with Steve. Apple is starting to become complacent. Updates are now starting to be anemic and far between. OSX, iOS, hardware design hasn't changed much in the last 5 years, just updates. Their nice, don't get me wrong but things are slowing waaaay down at Apple. Their riding a wave now, a big one yes but it will recede, no company can keep up this momentum, history has shown. Take Kodak, one of the largest companies in the world back in the 80's early 90's, Apple could only dream of the market cap they had , then poof. Yes, being able to adopt to the moving technologies has a big thing to do with it but Apple's success was really brought upon by a dreamer, a genius. It only comes once in a blue moon and now that Mr. Jobs is gone, it's just a wave their riding, nothing more.
  • Reply 48 of 128
    relic wrote: »
    Yes but they had a lot of help from a genius. Apple's success was really brought upon by a dreamer, a genius. It only comes once in a blue moon and now that Mr. Jobs is gone, it's just a wave their riding, nothing more.

A great leader inspires his team. Let's hope Steve's lessons are ingrained in the fabric of Apple for years to come.

So what about the companies who never had a leader like Steve Jobs?

Take Kodak, one of the largest companies in the world back in the 80's early 90's, Apple could only dream of the market cap they had, then poof.

Kodak made most of their money from film. Then people stopped using film.

Yes... the mighty can fall... but only if they're oblivious to what's happening around them.

Clearly Kodak was unable to adapt to its own changing market... while Apple has a knack for blazing new trails in new markets.

Updates are now starting to be anemic and far between. OSX, iOS, hardware design hasn't changed much in the last 5 years, just updates.

So what amazing things are coming out of the secret labs at HP and Dell?

I just saw HP's new line of DV6 series laptops. They look just like last year's line... but with Ivy Bridge instead of Sandy Bridge.

Sounds familiar. Apple did exactly the same thing... but you'd say they're losing their edge. The iMac has looked the same for years... so have Apple's laptops. Maybe when they find a design they like... they stick with it.

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S also look virtually identical. But they've sold over 150 million of them combined. Why is Apple so profitable and thus less likely to go bankrupt? They're not wasting time with a dozen different phones.... spending money on needless tooling and manufacturing. Apple is the model of efficiency... you can thank Tim Cook for that.

As for iOS... most of its recent improvements and new features are under the hood. If you just look at surface appearances... the other guys don't seems to change much either:

I know, I know... Android is more customizable. I guess that's Apple's Achilles' heel.
  • Reply 49 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

This can't bode well for Microsoft and WP7.

WP7 is not a bad OS. I have a Lumia 800 as a backup to my iPhone. If I were not already heavily invested in iOS (apps, accessories, etc...) I would consider using WP7 as my main phone. The OS is pretty fast and different enough to garner some attention. In short, I like it. The problem with Nokia is not innovation because had it not been for them, there would most likely not have been an iPhone (my opinion), as Nokia invented the first consolidated smartphone. Go look up the Nokia N95. It was the first phone with everything inside, but Nokia didn't keep up... and they kept around management that should have been fired years ago...

• Reply 50 of 128

Too bad for Nokia. From a high in 2007 to nothing in 2012, suffering in 2010, they bring in Dr. Kevorkian clone from MS Stephen Elop, without telling the patient and staff, who proceeds to execute the well-respected process of bloodletting, laying off staff, selling their IP, terminating their own smartphone OS Symbian in favor of his old (really current employer?) Windows smartphone OS Windows 7, to be followed by selling to MS the Nokia smartphone unit, so rumors have it. Dr. Kevorkian never sold off a patients body parts in the guise of helping the patient. It all seems transparent to me that the fix to destroy Nokia was in when Elop was hired. The Nokia Board had to know it, or is the most incompetent Board in the history of major corporations (US financial institutions excepted). 

• Reply 51 of 128
    The problem with Nokia is not innovation because had it not been for them, there would most likely not have been an iPhone (my opinion), as Nokia invented the first consolidated smartphone. Go look up the Nokia N95. It was the first phone with everything inside, but Nokia didn't keep up... and they kept around management that should have been fired years ago...

I remember people raving about the Nokia N95... though I never saw the appeal.

It was branded as a smartphone... but didn't have a QWERTY keyboard or a touchscreen.

Yes... I realize it was released way back in 2007... but there were plenty of other phones that did have QWERTY keyboards and touchscreens (with a stylus)

Was the Nokia N95 a hit in the enterprise? Or was it popular because of its camera and multimedia capabilities?

Again... I never saw its appeal... even in its day. Back then I was using a Blackberry... yikes!
  • Reply 52 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post

Jaw drop!!! What is wrong with Bill Gates' comments on factoring large prime numbers?  That is a big problem and it would be a huge advance in mathematics to do so, but of course, at the cost of emasculating security using cryptology. DRM would not work, but neither would HTTPS, FTPS, WIFI security, digital signatures, RSA public key cryptography, etc. What am I missing?

• Reply 53 of 128
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Nokia used to be the gold standard in cellphones. Highly respected for its products' durability, excellent reception and highly regarded for its consistency in making high quality devices.

Now? Not so much.
  • Reply 54 of 128
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

It's hardly been competition. Other companies seem to think resting on one's laurels and collecting paycheck until retirement is still a viable way to run a company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Competition has weeded out another one. Good for Apple.

• Reply 55 of 128
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Then you are just a silly fanboy. It is a nice phone that by all accounts performs quite well.

-kpluck

You've got to be kidding.

It's more M$ crapware, the user interface is absolutely horrific.  Nokia may have improved the hardware from what they used to build (they had some of the worst phones back when phones just made phone calls, cheap build quality and horrible voice quality, after using a Nokia phone 10 years or so ago I swore I'd never own their garbage).  But given that their Symbian mess was at a dead end, they should have gone with the only non-Apple OS with a future, Android.

Nokia committed suicide when they got in bed with M$.

• Reply 56 of 128
    fly75fly75 Posts: 6member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Jaw drop!!! What is wrong with Bill Gates' comments on factoring large prime numbers?  That is a big problem and it would be a huge advance in mathematics to do so, but of course, at the cost of emasculating security using cryptology. DRM would not work, but neither would HTTPS, FTPS, WIFI security, digital signatures, RSA public key cryptography, etc. What am I missing?

The definition of a prime number?

• Reply 57 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Yes but they had a lot of help from a genius. It's already starting to show, iOS 6 would have never flown with Steve. Apple is starting to become complacent. Updates are now starting to be anemic and far between. OSX, iOS, hardware design hasn't changed much in the last 5 years, just updates.
    Fucking hell! At least you're consistent in your ability to make stupid comments.
    Their nice, don't get me wrong but things are slowing waaaay down at Apple.
    They just released a Retina Display MBP right on the heels of a Retina Display iPad They updated most of their Macs, too, and have ML coming out next month in less than a year after Lion. Then they iOS 6 in a couple months right when the new iPhone, new iPod and other products are releases. It's a big year for Apple.

Let's not forget that Apple is doing all this at once when jus a couple years ago under Steve Jobs rule they had to postpone the Mac OS X update by nearly a year because they were working on iOS.

Face it, you are an Apple hating troll grasping for every strawman no matter how false or absurd.
  • Reply 58 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly75 View Post

The definition of a prime number?

Okay. Duh! But, I got what he meant, rather than what he said.

• Reply 59 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I know, I know... Android is more customizable. I guess that's Apple's Achilles' heel.

It is both a blessing and a curse for Apple.  It depends on the customer.

Apple seems (to me) to be going after the customers who prefer one  simple way to do relatively simple things, like acquire new apps and locate them on the device.  Apple seems to figure that there is a huge market for this sort of style of device.  So far, they seem to be correct.  And so far, there is still a HUGE untapped market consisting of this type of customer.

That being said, for a variety of reasons, many more people buy an Android phone than buy an iPhone.  With tablets, for some reason, the proportions are reversed.  Some feel that is due  to pricing considerations, but I'm not convinced that anybody really understands all of the reasons for the phenomenon.

I think that if Apple continues to offer devices which are easy to use, they will attract and retain many, many customers in the medium run.  I have no idea what will happen in the long run,. I don't think that anybody can predict the long run, given the increasing pace of technological innovation.

• Reply 60 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

The difference is that you know what you are talking about, and therefore, you don't see the reason for the OP's misunderstanding.

Realize that it is impossible to factor a prime number given that it has none (sort of).  If you find factors, it is not prime :)  You know that.

As you know, Gates was talking about something else.  He was talking about cryptography, where one finds prime factors for a large number.  He was saying that it was difficult and time consuming now, and that advances in that endeavor were important.