Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet

Comments

• Reply 61 of 513
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

USB!!  Thank you!  If my audio software will run on this and my USB audio devices work..  I'm sold.

but the future will be wireless.

• Reply 62 of 513

As for the design of the tablet itself, it really looks like a rather nasty 1980s throw-back.

Remember the original ugly blocky MS Mouse? I think that's where they got their design cues from. 

Even allowing for the shortcomings this thing has as a device, you'd think they could have found an industrial designer with some smarts... certainly the one they've got isn't going to be giving Sir Jonny Ive a run for his money any time soon. The back of the thing is hideous.

I predict that it'll be dead by summer 2013.

• Reply 63 of 513
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member

This is the "Pro" model with the tactile keyboard. Easily a replacement for my MacBook Air. It has an i5 Processor and runs both metro and desktop apps, so I can use it as both a laptop and tablet. Best part is, no syncing, ever.

• Reply 64 of 513
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    No pricing announced. Battery life? Is this thing supposed to sit on a desk or on your lap? Will the kick stand snap? How much are those smart covers with keyboards on them? What is Windows RT, I thought it was for tablets but now it seems it's only for half the tablets? There's a keyboard and a pen and a USB port for a mouse!
  • Reply 65 of 513
    gatortpkgatortpk Posts: 33member
    fayt wrote: »
    Looks great actually.  Not sure why some people here are bashing it.  Does it look similar to an iPad?  Sure.  But it's a very different machine software-wise, and from the looks of it, it'll be much more capable as a laptop replacement with the versatility of a tablet.  That sounds good from where I'm at.

It doesn't look similar to an iPad. (except for the raw dimensions.) The iPad has curved surfaces. Actually, the only continuously flat surface on the iPad is the screen!
  • Reply 66 of 513
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member

I do not see how they can make this item at a price that is lower then the iPad.  And at a price higher then the iPad it will not sell.  So either MS is going to lose money or they are going to sell very few. 

• Reply 67 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

This is the "Pro" model with the tactile keyboard. Easily a replacement for my MacBook Air. It has an i5 Processor and runs both metro and desktop apps, so I can use it as both a laptop and tablet. Best part is, no syncing, ever.

Sounds awesome here. Barring poor reviews, I'd easily consider this over the new iPads and MacBooks.

• Reply 68 of 513
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

How does that knife feel in your back Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Samesung, etc...?  Typical Microsoft, back stabbing their suckers, i mean partners.  This thing has fail written all over it.  The Fugly, Unusable Metro UI simply does not work, as evidence in the failed Zune and the failed Windows Phone.  The Hardware looks horribly ugly too.  Wonder if Ballmer will finally get the axe when this thing fails big time.

• Reply 69 of 513
    You Apple Fanbois are a joke. Coming up with every half assed negative comment you can think off. Hahahaha
  • Reply 70 of 513
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

How does that knife feel in your back Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Samesung, etc...?  Typical Microsoft, back stabbing their suckers, i mean partners.  This thing has fail written all over it.  The Fugly, Unusable Metro UI simply does not work, as evidence in the failed Zune and the failed Windows Phone.  The Hardware looks horribly ugly too.  Wonder if Ballmer will finally get the axe when this thing fails big time.

You appear to be mistaking marketing fail with functionality fail. In what way does Metro "not work" on Windows Phone? 

• Reply 71 of 513
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Well, we DO know that MS just threw a big f*ck-you to their partners. 

• Reply 72 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clamdigger63 View Post

You Apple Fanbois are a joke. Coming up with every half assed negative comment you can think off. Hahahaha

It brings nothing really worthwhile to the table. 

Like Windows Phone. 

• Reply 73 of 513
    gatortpkgatortpk Posts: 33member
    neiltc13 wrote: »
    LL
    Best part is, no syncing, ever.

Will you take all your pictures with the "Surface"? If not, how will you get your pictures on to the "Surface" without syncing? Syncing is for much more than pictures too.

I like having a 24 logical core computer, and iPhone, an iPad, an iMac, and a MacBook Pro, that have all the same data through syncing. Each machine has it's strengths. I wouldn't expect to do 4K video encoding on my iPhone, nor will I carry a Mac Pro in my pocket.

If this "Surface" can actually do everything you want very well, then you've got your dream machine!
  • Reply 74 of 513

It looks positively uncomfortable to hold, especially if that kickstand starts flapping about.

There was a reason why Apple ditched the angular edges of the iPad1 for the gently curved bevelling of the '2 and '3. My new iPad is so much nicer to hold sans-case than my first gen iPad. 

I can see that Microsoft are hoping for enterprise adoption for this thing, but the problem is, the enterprise sees computers as sit-down-in-front-of work machines and laptops are for commuting or working on at home. There won't be many directly enterprise related applications for this Windows tablet that will overcome the drawbacks of buying a laptop-alike that will regularly fall apart at the seams (those keyboard cover things aren't going to stay put that well).

It's going to bomb, and it's going to bomb big time.

• Reply 75 of 513
    Why on earth is Windows RT called that? Terrible name.

As for this device - I don't think it looks too bad but with the competition from Apple I think it will fail.
  • Reply 76 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It brings nothing really worthwhile to the table. 

It won't need a jailbreak to enable basic features. That's something. I'm willing to give it a chance.

• Reply 77 of 513
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Mars View Post

Sounds awesome here. Barring poor reviews, I'd easily consider this over the new iPads and MacBooks.

hey, Jay, tell me you're not an MS astroturf PR contract guy?

• Reply 78 of 513
    Mistake. MS offering too many devices and not coordinated with an OS, And not available now, and not in stores, no price mentioned. Poorly done annoincement.

Might be an interesting product.
  • Reply 79 of 513
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    theskivvys wrote: »
    <p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;font:12px Helvetica;">LL</p>
    How the hell does he stand with his feet like that. Lol.
  • Reply 80 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

It looks positively uncomfortable to hold, especially if that kickstand starts flapping about.

There was a reason why Apple ditched the angular edges of the iPad1 for the gently curved bevelling of the '2 and '3. My new iPad is so much nicer to hold sans-case than my first gen iPad. 

I can see that Microsoft are hoping for enterprise adoption for this thing, but the problem is, the enterprise sees computers as sit-down-in-front-of work machines and laptops are for commuting or working on at home. There won't be many directly enterprise related applications for this Windows tablet that will overcome the drawbacks of buying a laptop-alike that will regularly fall apart at the seams (those keyboard cover things aren't going to stay put that well).

It's going to bomb, and it's going to bomb big time.

Re-branded Acer Iconia.

Same idea.