Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet

Comments

• Reply 121 of 513

Just watched the promo video at http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx - looks like something dreamt up by the director for Lady Gaga's Allejandro video...

• Reply 122 of 513
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

This is the "Pro" model with the tactile keyboard. Easily a replacement for my MacBook Air. It has an i5 Processor and runs both metro and desktop apps, so I can use it as both a laptop and tablet. Best part is, no syncing, ever.

Go for it. LOL...

• Reply 123 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clamdigger63 View Post

You Apple Fanbois are a joke. Coming up with every half assed negative comment you can think off. Hahahaha

Looks like the Microsoft employees are trolling. Won't help.

• Reply 124 of 513
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    On-board USB? Awesome.

Micro SD card slot? Looking good.

Smart(er) Cover with keyboard and touchpad? Brilliant.

My macbook air has all that.
  • Reply 125 of 513
    gatortpkgatortpk Posts: 33member
    peter236 wrote: »
    This Windows tablet is sleek in design and makes the iPad and MacBook Air obsolete. The keyboard is just innovative. The magnetic connector is way ahead of the iPad.
    This could have been an Apple product.

Apple would never make something like this.

Remember, Apple has probably already prototyped something similar, and it was a disaster, so again, Apple would never release something like this.

Perhaps when iOS and OS X mature to the point of almost merging, and the keyboard and mouse/trackpad become obsolete (voice and body language/gestures for input) would Apple make something similar. (By then, this "Surface" would look dated as a beige box with a CRT does now).
  • Reply 126 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCad View Post

... If you fold the cover back so you can walk around with the tablet, you would be constantly pressing the keys on the back..

Actually, it was announced that if you fold it back on itself it's supposed to turn off the keyboard functionality so you don't get random key presses.

Let's criticise it for sure, but only on the basis of accurate information. 

• Reply 127 of 513
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssls6 View Post

Why would you turn a tablet into a laptop?  Wow, that dumb in my opinion.

Priceless.

• Reply 128 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Priceless.

It's a slaptop.

Bit like Balmer.

• Reply 129 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fayt View Post

Looks great actually.  Not sure why some people here are bashing it.  Does it look similar to an iPad?  Sure.  But it's a very different machine software-wise, and from the looks of it, it'll be much more capable as a laptop replacement with the versatility of a tablet.  That sounds good from where I'm at.

I think there may be a nice response to the Intel version as it will run legacy software and is very portable. On the downside, it will be more like a MBA in that can't work too hard due to the heat restrictions. So, people that want a MBP for performance would not be attracted to this hardware. If I had a choice between a MBA and this, I think I'd still go MBA due to it's "out of the briefcase" simplicity, and it instant start up. 

However the ARM version may be a much harder sell for MS. First, it''s not expected to be priced less, second, the MS ARM version will have very little apps to begin with. 

My take-away is that MS is going to strongly push the need for a keyboard with system 8, Intel version or ARM version. I expect Apple to say, "Why type, when you can talk?" 

My bet is that TALK will win over TYPE.

• Reply 130 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Price is going to be critical.

The keyboard is slick, but nothing we can't get on an iPad

I think overall it's a nice package...at $500 tops.

Also, this seems to be the very definition of Tim Cook's explanation of compromise when you try to merge a tablet and "PC". Not a negative, but certainly a fact.

I really would rather see MSFT do a proper mobile ecosystem between phone and tablet, and not worry so much about windows desktop integration.

What IS the pricing? Odd that they did not announce that.

Frankly, positioning one of these as a mini-notebook will really irritate all of the Windows hardware competitors. This is encroaching on their territory. Bad move on MS's part.

• Reply 131 of 513
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    kimk69 wrote: »
    How the hell does he stand with his feet like that. Lol.

Maybe he has a kickstand.
  • Reply 132 of 513
    rjlcoolrjlcool Posts: 27member

BUT HOW DO YOU TYPE IN PORTRAIT MODE ON THIS KEYBOARD???

Sorry for the all caps but I just can't help laughing at this silly product.

(my very first post in AI btw)

• Reply 133 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjlcool View Post

BUT HOW DO YOU TYPE IN PORTRAIT MODE ON THIS KEYBOARD???

Sorry for the all caps but I just can't help laughing at this silly product.

(my very first post in AI btw)

Was it shown actually running in portrait mode? Is it even capable of such a thing?

• Reply 134 of 513
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    csuess wrote: »
    Yes, it's a tablet!

LL

Oh, I thought it was the waiter with our drinks ...
  • Reply 135 of 513
    finewinefinewine Posts: 92member

I like the USB. Seriously, iPad is lame for not having it. Not everything can be done wirelessly, there are tons and tons of devices that only use usb, this opens up things a lot... of course, there being no user accessible file system on the iPad is another matter. Anyhow, competition is good. This thing will live or die on how well the OS works in this form factor. 

• Reply 136 of 513
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post Best part is, no syncing, ever.

Funnily enough I know people who have never synched their iOS devices, still works for them just fine.

• Reply 137 of 513
    rjlcoolrjlcool Posts: 27member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Was it shown actually running in portrait mode? Is it even capable of such a thing?

Man that is very obvious..you CAN'T!

Unless you detach it and there's a way to snap it back while the tablet is in portrait. But then it'll be disproportionate.LOL

The very reason why Apple ditch physical keyboard.

• Reply 138 of 513
    tmallontmallon Posts: 39member
    Hold on kids I know you want to play angry birds but dad has to install this great security app first to prevent spyware and viruses.

Oh crap the browser has just been hijacked again,

Why is this thing so slow. Darn rescan.exe using 99% CPU again,
  • Reply 139 of 513
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    peter236 wrote: »
    This Windows tablet is sleek in design and makes the iPad and MacBook Air obsolete. The keyboard is just innovative. The magnetic connector is way ahead of the iPad.
    This could have been an Apple product.

WTBF have you been smoking?
  • Reply 140 of 513
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

A little too thick. 

surface_031.jpg

But it's got a kickstand. To keep it from falling over. 

Quite a metaphor for the company as a whole.