Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

But how will they get by the "Its a blatant copy of a Samsung TV"?

The only way i can see is two options. Make the TV a circle or make a really funky stand. Other than that, I will have trouble picking out which is which when i go to a store and see two rectangular, thin bezel, uncluttered front, TV's that ship in a rectangular cardboard box. 

Are you for real? Do you have trouble now? Most TV's have the manufacturer's name on the front. And I'm pretty sure Apple's will have an Apple logo.

Apple has been making displays for over 20 years. If Apple makes a TV, it will probably look a lot like an iMac or one of their current displays.

• Reply 42 of 121
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    But how will they get by the "Its a blatant copy of a Samsung TV"?

After all, i'm no prophet, but I can safely guess it will be rectangular with a black front, thin bezel, uncluttered front, ships in cardboard rectangular box, etc....just like  a Samsung TV

I mean, if the galaxy tab looks like an ipad, how is a 46" iTV NOT gonna look like a 46" Samsung TV....or any other manufacturer for that matter?

The only way i can see is two options. Make the TV a circle or make a really funky stand. Other than that, I will have trouble picking out which is which when i go to a store and see two rectangular, thin bezel, uncluttered front, TV's that ship in a rectangular cardboard box. 

This is a Samsung digital photo frame circa 2006.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/samsung-digital-picture-frame-stores-pics-movies-music/?m=false

6 years ago Samsung had that form factor. They really didn't need Apple to show them it.
  • Reply 43 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    6 years ago Samsung had that form factor. They really didn't need Apple to show them it.

And two years prior, Apple submitted the patent that became the iPad. Your point?
  • Reply 44 of 121
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member

Can everyone please stop trying show how smart you are by pointing out there are no LED TV's?  It's been addressed in 5 posts now.  :)

Anyway, as myself and many others have said, our biggest want would be an integrated DVR that works with Dish, Direct TV and most major cable providers.  (Expect your provider to charge you $5-$10 for the service though.)  This allows us to "cut the cord" and have an Apple interface rather than the horrible cable guide interfaces. I can see the cable/satellite providers main concern being loss of revenue via pay per view movies and that was probably the biggest negotatiating point. To that end, there are two arguments in Apple's favor: 1) A lot of first run movies are avaible on the ATV for purchase only. I've noticed this problem getting worse and worse lately. Could this be a concession to cable/SAT providers so they still get their rental revenue?  2) If Apple were to secure a deal with one provider I can't imagine the others not falling in line.  Would you really want to risk losing that significant a share of your subscriber base? 

It would be impressive if Apple could accomplish this integrated DVR and keep the "Apple premium" to a reasonable amount. 

P.S. Multi room DVR...I'm thinking this would now be accomplished by the current ATV's via a firmware upgrade.

• Reply 45 of 121
    oneaburns wrote: »
    P.S. Multi room DVR...I'm thinking this would now be accomplished by the current ATV's via a firmware upgrade.

They have 8GB chips in them. You're not getting DVR functionality out of the current models.
  • Reply 46 of 121
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

At any rate, retina is just a dumb marketing term anyway. At any distance any display will cease to show pixels.

It is a marketing term, but is used to describe the MINIMUM distance at which you can no longer see individual pixels with 20/20 vision. This is important when you're holding a device in your hands as there is a comfortable distance you're going to want to hold that device away from your face; ~10 inches for a mobile phone, ~15 inches for a tablet. And it could also apply to laptops as well, because you have to sit within a certain distance from the computer to use the keyboard and trackpad comfortably.

TVs and desktops... just doesn't make much sense for "Retina" as you're not usually sitting at a fixed distance from the screen. Could be 18 inches away, could be 3 feet away, could be 15 feet away.

• Reply 47 of 121
    And two years prior, Apple submitted the patent that became the iPad. Your point?

A shipped product speaks volumes over a yet unrealized patent.
  • Reply 48 of 121
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    A shipped product speaks volumes over a yet unrealized patent.

Particularly when they have… nothing to… do with one another…

Show me a Samsung tablet from before the launch of the iPad and then you'll have an argument.
  • Reply 49 of 121
    juanm105 wrote: »

Wrongly labeled that's what.
  • Reply 50 of 121
    Show me a Samsung tablet from before the launch of the iPad and then you'll have an argument.

I was just arguing looks per the reply I quoted. I'm not arguing that the Tab doesn't look like the iPad, but the iPad also looks like a Samsung device released 6 years ago. The look isn't unique and Apple doesn't have sole ownership of it.
  • Reply 51 of 121

There not as different as you'd like to think. The digital picture frame does still have albeit tiny motherboard with a CPU and somewhat of a operating system to control it.
  • Reply 52 of 121
    gimpymwgimpymw Posts: 45member

Nice to se you've been hitting the crack pipe Pete because that sure would explain your whacked out post. Just to clear up one thing for you, and I'm sure you already know this, but those LEDs you were referring to are used as the backlight source for the TV an ill those fancy new units you're seeing at Best Buy. They still have a layer of LCD's in front that create the picture. The only TV's that aren't LCD are you're old fashioned PLasma'a and the OLED and unless you're Donald Trump you probably don't own an OLED TV. Heck, I don't even think large OLED TV's are being mass produced yet.

• Reply 53 of 121
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I keep hearing this and why do you think this would be the case? If Apple comes out with their own TV you can bet it will be much different than what we're used to calling a TV and therefor unique, making it immune to issues with working inside a market already saturated by devices that perform the same functions. You can bet that if it took Steve Jobs years to finally "crack" what would make TVs better, it will be something that redefines what we consider to be televisions.

Everything people list as what they'd like to see are all fairly common features of modern television sets. Here's a few things that could set Apple apart from other manufacturers...

1. K.I.S.S. Let the display be a display and break out all the connections into a set-top box. Apple is famous for hating wires, having one data cord and one power cord to the display would keep the cable clutter down to a minimum and allow more freedom where the TV can be positioned or located. Make a display in a few sizes. Make the set-top box in a few models depending on what connections/features the person needs.

2. Work with device manufacturers to create an industry standard interconnect (hardline or wireless), so that these devices can communicate with each other - making it possible for the set-top box to control other components which would enable Apple's TV to put up a much more simplified, elegant and consistent interface for those other devices which tend to have really crappy interfaces.

3. Work with content creators to create and offer iTunes content that is context aware. Like with iBooks, could embed extra data; video, photos, text, URLs, etc.

4. Partner with TitanTV and offer much better content guides that can use Siri for searching and navigation. (Cable box channel guides are horrendous and such a pain to use.)

If Apple came out with a TV that got rid of the mess of cable/aux/hdmi cords I'd buy it in a second.

• Reply 54 of 121
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Can everyone please stop trying show how smart you are by pointing out there are no LED TV's?  It's been addressed in 5 posts now.  :)

Actually, there are indeed LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

• Reply 55 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpymw View Post

The only TV's that aren't LCD are you're old fashioned PLasma'a and the OLED and unless you're Donald Trump you probably don't own an OLED TV. Heck, I don't even think large OLED TV's are being mass produced yet.

Not true.

• Reply 56 of 121

Eh. Arguing over specs gets boring after two minutes. No one cares what might be watched on this possibly mythical product? If this is real, I think there has to be more to it than tech- some revolutionary new content deal, maybe.

My ultimate dream would be flat rate pricing (like Netflix) that allows you to stream any TV show or movie ever made, along with the access to YouTube, Vimeo and other internet based sources like the current AppleTV box. The way things are going- with HBO and others looking for their own home grown solution- we're looking at a fragmented marketplace requiring multiple subscriptions and I'm right back to what I'm paying for DirecTV if not more.

Anyone seen Reed Hastings and Tim Cook deep in conversation anywhere? That would be cool. Netflix teams up with Apple to force the entertainment industry to accept the new world already, dammit!

• Reply 57 of 121
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I thnk they are sending the panels to be used for upcoming iMacs, updated Thunderbolt monitors (USB 3) is my guess. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with another larger sized monitor. This is my GUESS.

The new 42" Retina Display iMac? :P

• Reply 58 of 121

Very few and expensive. The LED TVs advertised are a LCD/LED hybrid.
  • Reply 59 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Very few and expensive.

Not really.

• Reply 60 of 121
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Never mind...