Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Not even close. At least 65". 

And plasma.

Not sure i get your comment 'not even close' 'At least 60".' doesn't rule out 65"' I didn't say 'no more than 60" which would..
  • Reply 62 of 121
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnuding View Post

Did you spend too much time listening to salespeople lately?

There's not a single TV or computer screen featuring an actual LED display today.

The only thing that happened were LCD backlights moving from CCFL to LED and Samsung's marketing department having the glorious idea of calling that an LED display even though it isn't.

If Apple is building a TV you can be pretty sure that behind the LCD panel there will be LEDs for the backlight, because that's what they're using in all the other product lines.

I'm not surprised at all. Just about everyone who's asked me for advice on a new TV actually thought that LED TV referred to the type of display. I have to constantly tell people that it still uses an LCD display and that LED is just a different way to light the LCD displays.

• Reply 63 of 121
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Not really.

Yes really
  • Reply 64 of 121
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes really

You can write whatever you like but that doesn't make you right :)

If you are interested in facts, then look it up yourself. Not that hard. But the lesson here for you is not to stand by a position when you don't know the straight facts.

• Reply 65 of 121
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have no place to put a 65" TV. I know some people have dedicated media rooms for their home theater but I only have the 18' x 20' family room. I dislike having a huge TV that dominates the room. ...

All I'm gonna say is that these two opinions put you in a distinct minority of the group of people that are in the market for a TV.  

An 18x20 family room is pretty huge by most living standards around the world today and most people buy a TV almost explicitly to "dominate" the room.  

Anything below 50" or so is considered the smaller end of the TV market nowadays.  If Apple came out with anything less than the 60" and 80" ones that are rumoured it will probably be a fail.  

• Reply 66 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

If you are interested in facts, then look it up yourself. Not that hard. But the lesson here for you is not to stand by a position when you don't know the straight facts.

Quote:

Actually, there are indeed LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

Quote:

Not true.

Quote:

Not really.

Please me out of my misery, and at least point to some available LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

• Reply 67 of 121

I have looked it up extensively. i just did a ton of research because i was buying a TV, I ended up with a plasma.
  • Reply 68 of 121

Please me out of my misery, and at least point to some available LED TVs that do not incorporate LCDs.

Well there's always the Sony XEL-1 OLED, which is 11" (yes eleven inches) and there's a used one on ebay for $899 and one on Amazon for $2,300. Unless of course you're Gru from Despicable Me and have room for a Jumbotron.

In case you dont have young kids and have no idea what i'm talking about, here's the clip.

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/despicable-me/the-minions-3/#!quotes/
  • Reply 69 of 121

Quote:

Well there's always the Sony XEL-1 OLED, which is 11" (yes eleven inches) and there's a used one on ebay for $899 and one on Amazon for $2,300. Unless of course you're Gru from Despicable Me and have room for a Jumbotron.

In case you dont have young kids and have no idea what i'm talking about, here's the clip.

Thanks,

fact is mr ankle fighter cannot point us to available, led screens thsst don't use LCD cos they just don't exist 

• Reply 70 of 121

Quote:

Let's start with OLED. Samsung and LG showed 55" OLED TVs at CES this year. Projected shipping date is Christmas this year. It will be pricy at first but this shows that your info is outdated, far far outdated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Thanks,

fact is mr ankle fighter cannot point us to available, led screens thsst don't use LCD cos they just don't exist 

Did you even bother looking it up before mocking me? You are going to look mighty foolish if I point out something that should be rather obvious. Why don't you erase your comment before that happens? Unlike others, I don't make it my mission to make others look dumb. A basic search will lead you to the answer.

• Reply 71 of 121
    Let's start with OLED. Samsung and LG showed 55" OLED TVs at CES this year. Projected shipping date is Christmas this year. It will be pricy at first but this shows that your info is outdated, far far outdated.

Did you not say "Not really" when I wrote "Very few and expensive" and now you just proved my point. 2 TVs is very few and pricey means expensive. Yes my data is outdated, it was the only truly LED TV I could find that actually can be purchased now, not in 6 months.
  • Reply 72 of 121

Quote:

Did you even bother looking it up before mocking me? You are going to look mighty foolish if I point out something that should be rather obvious. Why don't you erase your comment before that happens? Unlike others, I don't make it my mission to make others look dumb. A basic search will lead you to the answer.

you said many led lit tis are lcd bit nt all

apart from tiny 11 inch olds, and more OLED's not yet on the market, flat TV's are either plasma, or LCD. Newer better LCD use LEDs for backlight, and the industry tries to market them as LED, v the older LCD which used CCFL backlighting, but stick to your side of things, eventually it will come true

• Reply 73 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

you said many led lit tis are lcd bit nt all

Exactly. (Mind you, I needed a translator to help me before I could agree with your confirmation of my statement.)

• Reply 74 of 121

Quote:

Did you not say "Not really" when I wrote "Very few and expensive" and now you just proved my point. 2 TVs is very few and pricey means expensive. Yes my data is outdated, it was the only truly LED TV I could find that actually can be purchased now, not in 6 months.

I did say not really and it remains factually correct, but not because of these OLED units. I only mentioned them to update you on the OLED industry.

In addition to providing back-light to LCD panels, LED TVs also exist in three other forms. We've already discussed OLED, which will likely be the "next wave" of TVs. There are also LED display panels. They are mainly used for outdoor stadiums (and also store displays) because the resolution isn't there yet (AFAIK) and because they are expensive.  The 3rd category is DLP TVs. This technology is seen far more often in projectors and is based on a MEMS device (the industry calls them DMD or Digital Micromirror Device) consisting of many mirrors each controlled to reflect light (LED light). They are no more expensive (cheaper?) than plasma or LCD panels, and actually offer a better picture (IMO). Not many manufacturers sell them anymore (Mitsubishi still does) because consumers have chosen the thinner and lighter LCDs and plasmas. But you can still buy them and, at one point, this technology was considered a contender with the other two.

• Reply 75 of 121

I did say not really and it remains factually correct, but not because of these OLED units. I only mentioned them to update you on the OLED industry.

In addition to providing back-light to LCD panels, LED TVs also exist in three other forms. We've already discussed OLED, which will likely be the "next wave" of TVs. There are also LED display panels. They are mainly used for outdoor stadiums (and also store displays) because the resolution isn't there yet (AFAIK) and because they are expensive.  The 3rd category is DLP TVs. This technology is seen far more often in projectors and is based on a MEMS device (the industry calls them DMD or Digital Micromirror Device) consisting of many mirrors each controlled to reflect light (LED light). They are no more expensive (cheaper?) than plasma or LCD panels, and actually offer a better picture (IMO). Not many manufacturers sell them anymore (Mitsubishi still does) because consumers have chosen the thinner and lighter LCDs and plasmas. But you can still buy them and, at one point, this technology was considered a contender with the other two.

I was right about the Jumbotron, which is a LED display not tv. Although DLPs use LEDs they've never been considered a LED TV and they do have a great picture, but I haven't seen one in years, good to know they're still being made. Good job though I had totally forgotten about DLPs. I am looking forward to those OLED TVs, I watched the CES presentations and they looked impressive.
  • Reply 76 of 121
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    They have 8GB chips in them. You're not getting DVR functionality out of the current models.

That's way more than enough storage. You don't even need a gig. The way most Cable boxes work- for example- Uverse- is that each receiver simply streams. You can click record, you can watch recorded shows, etc- but those all come from one central box or supplied router/storage unit.

So the Apple Television set could have the larger drive and store, and the ATV could simply stream. Of course, the current ATV by itself could still do the same thing and just use your Mac as the central storage. Either way- it could be done.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    andysol wrote: »
    …those all come from one central box or supplied router/storage unit. So the Apple Television set could have the larger drive and store, and the ATV could simply stream.

The mythical TV seems to be a deus ex machina these days….

And do you really think people would be okay with filling up their Macs' hard drives with hundreds of gigabytes of content they won't be allowed to view there?
  • Reply 78 of 121
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The mythical TV seems to be a deus ex machina these days….
    And do you really think people would be okay with filling up their Macs' hard drives with hundreds of gigabytes of content they won't be allowed to view there?

I could have sworn you said "you're not getting DVR functionality out of the current apple tv". Maybe I misread and you said "people aren't going to use their hard drive space".

Whether they make an actual Tv or not isn't the point.

Maybe instead of arguing sometimes, you can simply say- "you're right".

My iMac has 2 TB. I use ~400gb- and that's with 200+ movies on it. SD programming is usually 1gb/hour. So 200gb of space is 200 hours of recording. That same 200 hours is 65 hours of HD recording. My Uverse box allows for 60 hours of HD. Why can your typical iMac not use 200 gigs? Why can I have 200 gigs of movies but not tv shows? Why not use your space wisely and only record 20 hours (66 GB)? And who watches shows on their iMac or MacBook when you have a big screen and ATV hooked up (unless you're traveling with your laptop).

Let's try this- instead of arguing for absolutely no reason- why not actually process what I wrote?
  • Reply 79 of 121
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Maybe instead of arguing sometimes, you can simply say- "you're right".

Let's try this- instead of arguing for absolutely no reason- why not actually process what I wrote?

Good luck with that request lol

• Reply 80 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Andysol" url="/t/150838/foxconn-rumored-to-begin-receiving-apple-television-lcds-in-q3-2012/40#post_2132485"]I could have sworn you said "you're not getting DVR functionality out of the current apple tv". Maybe I misread and you said "people aren't going to use their hard drive space".[/QUOTE]

"DVR functionality", for all intents and purposes, means "ability to record" to consumers. So you'll need a place to store that stuff, which isn't available on the Apple TV. Forcing people to use their computers as a DVR box isn't a valid solution.

[QUOTE]Maybe instead of arguing sometimes, you can simply say- "you're right".[/QUOTE]

Perhaps [I]be[/I] right first.