Nest Learning Thermostat reportedly taken off Apple Store shelves

1246712

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 231

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post





    Good point.

    Just curious... do Apple geniuses have to answer questions about other non-Apple stuff?

    Apple Stores carry all sorts of speaker docks and other gadgets and gizmos.


     


     


    But do they  support them?  They sold me a pair of Skull Candy headphones that broke.  They had a lifetime warranty.  They wouldn't do anything for me except to give me an  800 number for Skull Candy.


     


    I went to Best Buy, with no receipt, and they were replaced with no questions asked.

  • Reply 62 of 231

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Could this be due to Honeywell's patent claim against Nest?


     


     


    Seems unlikely given that Apple still sells the product.

  • Reply 63 of 231
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

    Seems unlikely given that Apple still sells the product.

    I understand what you and others are getting at but I've seen odd removable of items from one store front but not another in relation to legal issues. So do you and others think is the most likely reason they have removed it from the B&M stores but not the online stores?
  • Reply 64 of 231
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lawspud View Post


    Did you even read that dictionary entry, or are you just an arbitrary contrarian that expects people to accept your assertions without actually checking your sources (or, say, reality)?



     


    I did in fact read it, and one of the definitions is cruel or overly harsh punishment. Nowhere in modern lexicon or comparison to unhappy consumers or people does the punishment of death ever come up. It's always used to describe something as an overly harsh punishment or system when not needed. Are you someone who doesn't pay attention to the world around them? I know what the word means, and it's never used as the original poster I replied to said it did, it's always used as the second definition.


     


    Open your eyes before you open your mouth moron.

  • Reply 65 of 231
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 235member

    Quote:


    Sorry a $250 thermostat? No matter how "cool" it's still a programmable thermostat. My top of the line wired thermo controls fans, heat, cooling programmable for each of seven days? I mean, come on now. Is this a real product with a real need excepting those that need a non-Apple Apple product?



     


    Not just programmable, it's a "learning" thermostat.  It can learn when you are home and when you are away.  It is also remote controllable from your iOS device which is convenient for those who have home automation in their home.  It also gives you a monthly report on your usage.  So it IS a "real product" and some people have a "real need" for it.  We bought one just for these purposes; because it just works.  I paid $250 for it because it's worth it.  The same reason I paid $179 for an Airport Extreme when I could have just bought any multitude of wireless routers for under $100.

  • Reply 66 of 231
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



    ———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-———-—

    That's not the case. Case in point, cases. And printers, backpacks, hard drives, etc.


    Way different.  All of those mentioned are no-brainers that everyone needs, except backpacks which students may need.  You don't have to sell them, they all sell themselves if they're presented well on the floor.  People know why they'd need one.  Buy an Apple laptop and you know you need all of those while you're there.  The Nest?  It may be a programmable/learning device, but it's like a programmable barbecue or a learning refrigerator.  Might be great but a VERY small group of people in an Apple store are even potential candidates much less good bets.  If you're in an urban area with a large renting population, or if the homeowners are mostly in one bedroom condos in high rises, it gets ignored.  All students, minors, anyone who isn't running the household, they ignore it once they see what it is.


     


    Shelf space in a place like NYC is so much more valuable than in a suburban mall.  I can certainly imagine the Nest being seen by Apple Store managers here as not being worth the shelf space to display.

  • Reply 67 of 231
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post




    Some people do, and they probably will be proven right in 30 years or so...


    You know, 30 years ago, it was impossible that  plastics could have any effect on human health. It was absurd to even suggest it. Where are we now? Same situation.



    Straw man much?

  • Reply 68 of 231
    ktappektappe Posts: 808member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post


    It might looook cool, but it's just more wireless junk unnecessarily radiating your brain in your own home ... I need it like a tumour. No wireless in my house.





    Wat.

  • Reply 69 of 231
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member


    What "Faces" is to iPhoto, or "Smart Playlists" is to iTunes; "Nest" is to home climate control.


    Not surprised at Apple carrying this product at all.

  • Reply 70 of 231

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    I understand what you and others are getting at but I've seen odd removable of items from one store front but not another in relation to legal issues. So do you and others think is the most likely reason they have removed it from the B&M stores but not the online stores?


     


     


    I can tell you what I think, but it diesn't really matter because it is a guess based upon scant evidence, and would be one of many equally plausible reasons. I can't tell you anybody else's reasons.


     


    The support issues might be a factor.  The shelf space issue might be a factor.  Maybe Apple gets paid for shelf space, like supermarkets do, and the sales didn't justify the cost for the manufacturer?  Or some combination of factors we can imagine and others we know nothing about?


     


    But the patent issue seems to me to be unlikely, given that Apple still sells the product. 

  • Reply 71 of 231
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,815member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post


    It might looook cool, but it's just more wireless junk unnecessarily radiating your brain in your own home ... I need it like a tumour. No wireless in my house.



    I bet you have one of these.

  • Reply 72 of 231
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member


    tin-foil-hat.jpg


     


    There are some real sick people in this thread. Get help pronto.

  • Reply 73 of 231
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,815member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post


    Sorry a $250 thermostat? No matter how "cool" it's still a programmable thermostat. My top of the line wired thermo controls fans, heat, cooling programmable for each of seven days? I mean, come on now. Is this a real product with a real need excepting those that need a non-Apple Apple product?



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post


     


    Not just programmable, it's a "learning" thermostat.  It can learn when you are home and when you are away.  It is also remote controllable from your iOS device which is convenient for those who have home automation in their home.  It also gives you a monthly report on your usage.  So it IS a "real product" and some people have a "real need" for it.  We bought one just for these purposes; because it just works.  I paid $250 for it because it's worth it.  The same reason I paid $179 for an Airport Extreme when I could have just bought any multitude of wireless routers for under $100.



    It also has some outside the box thinking as well.  The Airwave feature that extracts otherwise wasted cold energy from the condenser coils is pretty genius. The Nest also gets OS updates from Nest which they use to add features.  They have already done this twice in the relatively short life of the product.  My wife and I have erratic, unpredictable schedules and the Nest deals with that beautifully.  It's particularly nice to turn on the AC a few minutes before I get home so the house is not 85 degrees. Plus it replaced a wireless programmable thermostat that cost more than $250 so the price argument people are making is weak.

  • Reply 74 of 231
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    eksodos wrote: »
    I'm very concerned this may be the result of draconian Apple store policies.

    If that was this issue they would have never stocked them in the first place

    This is most likely due to the same reason they pulled the Pogo off the floor -- shoplifting.
  • Reply 75 of 231
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Good point.
    Just curious... do Apple geniuses have to answer questions about other non-Apple stuff?
    Apple Stores carry all sorts of speaker docks and other gadgets and gizmos.

    They emphatically do NOT have to. But that doesn't mean folks don't ask and think they should support everything that even works with something Apple
  • Reply 76 of 231
    softekysofteky Posts: 135member
    wozwoz wrote: »
    It might looook cool, but it's just more wireless junk unnecessarily radiating your brain in your own home ... I need it like a tumour. No wireless in my house.

    Don't worry. Apple Store will be using the extra shelf space to stock tinfoil helmets as of next week. Heralding a new line of products that cater to alternate customer segments. The Apple Store in Waco will be first to stock this new line of apparel along with metalic radio-wave screening paint that should further reduce the risk of tumors from a scientifically supported value of zero.

    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones
  • Reply 77 of 231
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,941member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post


    It might looook cool, but it's just more wireless junk unnecessarily radiating your brain in your own home ... I need it like a tumour. No wireless in my house.





    Smart thinking about playing it safe.  Heaven forbid that natural solar radiation, or uranium that is naturally present in your granite kitchen countertops or any granite structures, or radio waves, or EMF from your house wiring won't give you that tumor first.



    Maybe you just need a thicker tinfoil hat??

  • Reply 78 of 231
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 253member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by superdx View Post


     


    You know TV, radio and this new fangled thing called mobile phones are also wireless. They're also a lot stronger. 


     


    FM radio: 100,000 W


    3G: 2W


    WiFi: 0.2W


     


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm



     


    Alas, you are rather confused. No-one has an FM radio transmission mast in their house ... they just receive radio. And it is well-known that living next to a radio tower is bad news, and highly correlated with cancer clusters. If you live just a km away from a mast, you are usually fine ... by the inverse square power law. Same for a mobile phone ... keep it a metre or 2 away from your head, and you will be fine ... even though it has to transmit the signal all the way back to the base station which might be a few km away.


     


    And no ... I don't use wireless at home  (I get headaches from them) ... I've got Cat 6 ethernet wired throughout  ... and I do try to avoid mobile phones if possible (they also give me headaches ... or suggest use a Moshi to keep the phone away from your body, or use an external antennae in the car).


     


    You are, of course, free to nuke your testes or your brain, as you please. Life is full of choices.

  • Reply 79 of 231
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member


    The Nest thermostat looks cool but I ain't paying all that money for that bull****!


    It's a money grubbing tech gimmick and when Nest goes bankrupt in a few years who the hell is going to support that thing? The same folks supporting the old Newton tablets? 

  • Reply 80 of 231
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post


    The Nest thermostat looks cool but I ain't paying all that money for that bull****!


    It's a money grubbing tech gimmick and when Nest goes bankrupt in a few years who the hell is going to support that thing? The same folks supporting the old Newton tablets? 



    Ha! And where are those people who originally supported the Newton, today? Who is it who makes whatever device those people use today? People who think things "look cool" are simply too full of bull**** to know any better. They've got the depth and insight of a blank sheet of paper.

Sign In or Register to comment.