Samsung expects Galaxy S III sales to reach 10M in July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mac.world wrote: »
    AT&T customers that pre-ordered got our phones last week. Due to demand though, some pre-orders were delayed until today. Sprint also got phones to their pre-orders last week.
    Verizon is the only carrier waiting until mid-July to start sending out phones and that is because of their new shared data plan initiative.
    And point in fact, the S3 did technically launch on the 20th in NYC for the North American market. This included all major US carriers.
    So yes, a little factual accuracy from people complaining about factual accuracy would be nice.

I know of quite a few people on vzw that are getting it simply because of the new data plans. Pre-ordering allows them to keep their unlimited data.
  • Reply 22 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

A phone that is 100% copied from the iPhone, yet it's allowed to be on the market. This is what's wrong with this country's legal system. This phone should be completely banned.

As far as I know, Apple is not attempting to ban the S III in any jurisdiction.  Maybe it cannot be banned under any county's legal system?

• Reply 23 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    newtonrj wrote: »
    "Samsung expects Galaxy S III sales to reach 10M in July" 

Although it appears to be a good phone, I wonder how much of this is sales into the channel and not sales to the end user.

-RJ

In addition, you need to factor in a lot of the orders being preorders. Verizon, for example, is taking preorders until mid-July and will ship them all at once.

lfmorrison wrote: »

Unlike Apple, Samsung doesn't usually deliver its phones directly to end users -- most Samsung phones are delivered to a sales partner (who presumably pays Samsung the corresponding wholesale price up-front), and from there they will eventually make their way to an end user.  However, if a device has a large base of pent-up demand, then its initial shipments may not have a chance to spend very much time in the partner's warehouse before being sent on to the customer.

So, very likely, 100% of this 10 million-unit delivery is going into the sales channel.  But it's also quite likely that a large chunk of that delivery will then make it directly into customers' hands.

I think you're confused. What makes you think that Apple usually delivers its phones directly to end users? Sure, that's an option and some percentage is undoubtedly going that way, but most iPhones are sold via carriers, just like everyone else.
  • Reply 24 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtonrj View Post

Although it appears to be a good phone, I wonder how much of this is sales into the channel and not sales to the end user.

-RJ

100% according to the article:  

it will be able to provide enough stock to reach sales of 10 million total units to carriers in the month of July.

• Reply 25 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

As far as I know, Apple is not attempting to ban the S III in any jurisdiction.  Maybe it cannot be banned under any county's legal system?

Yes they were attempting to block sales before they ever started in the US. They just weren't successful.  IIRC they still have plans to include the S3 in their legal attacks. 

• Reply 26 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes they were attempting to block sales before they ever started in the US. They just weren't successful.  IIRC they still have plans to include the S3 in their legal attacks. 

Likely you are correct.  There are so many Apple lawsuits that it is hard to keep track.

How about HTC?  Is Apple trying to ban the HTC One X?

• Reply 27 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

AT&T customers that pre-ordered got our phones last week. Due to demand though, some pre-orders were delayed until today. Sprint also got phones to their pre-orders last week.

Verizon is the only carrier waiting until mid-July to start sending out phones and that is because of their new shared data plan initiative.

And point in fact, the S3 did technically launch on the 20th in NYC for the North American market. This included all major US carriers.

So yes, a little factual accuracy from people complaining about factual accuracy would be nice.

Thanks for clarifying who launched and who didn't. I wasn't aware that some number of ATT phones shipped last week. Still not launched on all four mobile carrier's since you can't buy one at Verizon. I stand corrected on ATT and Sprint.

• Reply 28 of 102
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Considering the delays for those that pre-ordered in the US, I'd say every one of those units has sold. It pissed a lot of us off at at&t when we had to wait an extra 5 days to get the S3 we pre-ordered weeks ago. Qualcomm is having a tough time meeting Samsungs demands as well.

Samsung is expected to sell over 50 million smartphones this quarter, dwarfing Apple.

I don't think Apple will get above 32 million in sales for this quarter that is ending and less than that for the next quarter. Anything lower than 32 million for this quarter will send the shares tumbling.

As much as I know that Apple will sell 50 million iPhones in the holiday quarter, I think that the surge in Samsung's sales outside of the holiday quarter will be enough to make Apple up its game. Not sure how, but Apple will change its game plan... that is unless they are banking on the next revision of the iPhone being so popular that it will carry Apple through the next 2 years.

• Reply 29 of 102
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I know of quite a few people on vzw that are getting it simply because of the new data plans. Pre-ordering allows them to keep their unlimited data.

That's exactly what I am doing.  I can sell it and them use the money to buy any other phone off contract to keep unlimited data.

• Reply 30 of 102
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

We are repeatedly told by Apple that their one size fits all iPhone strategy is best because it makes things easier for developers. But Android developers don't seem to have a problem adjusting their app's for the multiitude of different sized Android phones. Last time I checked the number of Android app's was not that far behind the number of iOS app's. I hope the success of phones like the S3 will make Apple look again at this policy. I don't think we need a multitude of iPhone sizes - just 2 would do: 3.5" and 4.5" or something along those lines. I think that would satisfy most people.

• Reply 31 of 102
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    color me unsurprised...

Samsung hardware, certainly since the S2 has been far better than anything coming out of Apple for a long time...and at a far better price. (TCO)

its horrible going back to anything iphone like now....feels even more toy like.

Oh here we go with more crap like this.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    We are repeatedly told by Apple that their one size fits all iPhone strategy is best because it makes things easier for developers. But Android developers don't seem to have a problem adjusting their app's for the multiitude of different sized Android phones. Last time I checked the number of Android app's was not that far behind the number of iOS app's. I hope the success of phones like the S3 will make Apple look again at this policy. I don't think we need a multitude of iPhone sizes - just 2 would do: 3.5" and 4.5" or something along those lines. I think that would satisfy most people.

Resizing objects on a screen is not an issue with android. How do you make an app more usefull on a 4.8“ display compared to a 3.5 inch display with android? You don’t, that’s the problem, you just resize to fit the screen.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

color me unsurprised...

Samsung hardware, certainly since the S2 has been far better than anything coming out of Apple for a long time...and at a far better price. (TCO)

its horrible going back to anything iphone like now....feels even more toy like.

How is plastic phone better than aluminum and glass? Have you used Samsung TV's remote controls? That's how the phone feels. You should look into HTC ONE X and apply that logic there.

• Reply 34 of 102
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The best part is when you get an app that looks like Android 2.2 on a 4.0 OS device. Looks like you have a different phone. That's the problem with Android OS, Google changed the looks so many times all apps look different. The fitting is not an issue, looking like a complete, polished product -- is.

• Reply 35 of 102
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

-RJ

You can not push 10million units in a month into a retail channel if no one is buying it. Carriers have been taking pre-orders, they have an idea of what they need at this point.

• Reply 36 of 102
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

-RJ

Do you believe Samsung will overproduce 5-10M phones and simply write down the costs?

• Reply 37 of 102
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

How is plastic phone better than aluminum and glass? Have you used Samsung TV's remote controls? That's how the phone feels. You should look into HTC ONE X and apply that logic there.

"Aluminum" and glass? Aluminum?

• Reply 38 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

It's all fun and games until the next iPhone. 

• Reply 39 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Do you believe Samsung will overproduce 5-10M phones and simply write down the costs?

Maybe not 5 to 10 million units but they've done it before with other products. How many v1 Galaxy Tabs did they write-off... my guess... around 2 million.

• Reply 40 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I think you're confused. What makes you think that Apple usually delivers its phones directly to end users? Sure, that's an option and some percentage is undoubtedly going that way, but most iPhones are sold via carriers, just like everyone else.

I wasn't intending to imply that most of Apple's phones were sold directly to consumers, merely that it is usually possible to order them that way, and some of them are, in fact, sold like that.  Conversely, usually Samsung makes it impossible for any of their phones to be sold under such arrangements.

If the emphasis in my sentence structure appeared to imply a meaning other than I had intended, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.