Samsung expects Galaxy S III sales to reach 10M in July

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung on Monday said although it is struggling to keep up with demand for its new Galaxy S III, it expects it will be able to provide enough stock to reach sales of 10 million total units to carriers in the month of July.

Shin Jong-kyun, Samsung's mobile communications president, said it has been "tough" for his company to meet demand, according to the Associated Press. But he believes sales of the Galaxy S III will hit 10 million less than two months after the company's flagship Android-powered device hit the market.

The Galaxy S III launched in Europe in late May and launched on all four major carriers in the U.S. last week. The handset has been met with positive reviews that praise the large 4.8-inch AMOLED display, but some of the handset's software features, like its S-Voice technology that competes with Apple's Siri, have been called disappointing.

Sales of 10 million units of the Galaxy S III would represent only those that were shipped to Samsung's carrier partners, and not the number of handset that were actually purchased by consumers. Apple, however, reports how many iPhones it sold to end users in its own quarterly earnings.

Galaxy

Samsung and Apple are the two largest smartphone makers in the world, and the companies are engaged in a fierce legal battle in which each has accused the other of patent infringement. One projection from earlier this month forecast that Apple and Samsung will control 52.3 percent of smartphone sales through the year 2013.

The primary competition for Samsung's new Galaxy S III is Apple's iPhone 4S, which hit the market in late 2011. Apple is expected to respond with its next-generation iPhone later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

One thing Samsung did that I think most people here would wish Apple  copy is the pricing. $199 for 16GB and only $249 for the 32GB. That seems much more reasonable. I wonder if Apple will give us the 32GB model next time as the base unit for $199 or lower the 32GB and 64GB prices if they continue to follow the current line up. $200 more for an additional 48GB seems awfully high. 

• Reply 2 of 102
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Nice looking phone. One of the first Android phones that I'd even think about. But... My 4S is just fine thank you. However, I can see how some would like the bigger form factor. Just my opinion, offer a 4S style in ~4.5(keep the same pixel/ resolution..you know what I mean, so apps do not have to be updated Don't need the 'retina' that bad) and keep the existing 3.5 too. Not a fan of the rumored 4 inch stretch, but will need to see in person(assuming its true).
  • Reply 3 of 102
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member
    . . . Oh, excuse me, I seem to have stumbled into the wrong website. A galaxy s 3 phone advert ?
    I'll see myself out.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    galaxytabgalaxytab Posts: 122member
    amoradala wrote: »
    . . . Oh, excuse me, I seem to have stumbled into the wrong website. A galaxy s 3 phone advert ?
    I'll see myself out.

You read the headline and still came in to complain? What did you expect to find in this article, Unicorns and puppies?

Wow.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Galaxy S III launched... on all four major carriers in the U.S. last week. 

No it didn't. My son-in-law mentioned that he pre-ordered the S3 at Verizon, tho it won't be available until the second week of July. A quick check of Sprint shows they're not available there either. At ATT they're saying the S3 is expected today. That's far from "launched at all 4 carriers last week". Factual accuracy would be a nice touch in AI articles. Just as in measurements, verify/proofread twice, publish once.

• Reply 6 of 102
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

You read the headline and still came in to complain? What did you expect to find in this article, Unicorns and puppies?

Wow.

I expected to find unicorns and rainbows.

• Reply 7 of 102
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    A phone that is 100% copied from the iPhone, yet it's allowed to be on the market. This is what's wrong with this country's legal system. This phone should be completely banned.
  • Reply 8 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

A phone that is 100% copied from the iPhone, yet it's allowed to be on the market. This is what's wrong with this country's legal system. This phone should be completely banned.

You forgot the sarcasm tag. Some readers might think you're serious.

While there's a couple of features certainly influenced by Apple such as S-Voice, the Galaxy S3 looks nothing like the iPhone. It also includes some very unique functions, certainly not taken from the iPhone, particularly in the gesture control area. Nor is the OS copied from Apple. But I suppose other than looks, overall features and OS it might be considered a 100% copy.

• Reply 9 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I still haven't seen a full review from AnandTech. I'm curious about the battery life, NAND performance, and other performance and user experience items that tend not to be spec sheet concerns of their constituent base.

scotty321 wrote: »

Are you being facetious? I see nothing on the HW that looks like a blatant copy from Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you being facetious? I see nothing on the HW that looks like a blatant copy from Apple.

He's completely correct. How a website for Apple enthusiasts can run articles promoting this garbage is beyond me. I'm furious.

• Reply 11 of 102
    newtonrjnewtonrj Posts: 25member

"Samsung expects Galaxy S III sales to reach 10M in July" 

Although it appears to be a good phone, I wonder how much of this is sales into the channel and not sales to the end user.

-RJ

• Reply 12 of 102

color me unsurprised...

Samsung hardware, certainly since the S2 has been far better than anything coming out of Apple for a long time...and at a far better price. (TCO)

its horrible going back to anything iphone like now....feels even more toy like.

• Reply 13 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    eksodos wrote: »
    He's completely correct. How a website for Apple enthusiasts can run articles promoting this garbage is beyond me. I'm furious.

Seriously? I see nothing nothing promotional about this device in the article. it's simply relaying news about a smartphone that looks to be selling very well. That should interest iPhone users and Apple share holders. Besides the fact the title states exactly what the article is about before one clicks on it I'm amazed that anyone would want to live in a bubble of just knowing about one tech company or product.
  • Reply 15 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I still haven't seen a full review from AnandTech. I'm curious about the battery life, NAND performance, and other performance and user experience items that tend not to be spec sheet concerns of their constituent base.

Anand had a review of the S3 up last week, but since he was moving he couldn't do a couple of the tests he would have liked in the graphics and sound areas. Testing equipment packed away still.

• Reply 16 of 102
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtonrj View Post

Although it appears to be a good phone, I wonder how much of this is sales into the channel and not sales to the end user.

-RJ

Unlike Apple, Samsung doesn't usually deliver its phones directly to end users -- most Samsung phones are delivered to a sales partner (who presumably pays Samsung the corresponding wholesale price up-front), and from there they will eventually make their way to an end user.  However, if a device has a large base of pent-up demand, then its initial shipments may not have a chance to spend very much time in the partner's warehouse before being sent on to the customer.

So, very likely, 100% of this 10 million-unit delivery is going into the sales channel.  But it's also quite likely that a large chunk of that delivery will then make it directly into customers' hands.

• Reply 17 of 102
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Anand had a review of the S3 up last week, but since he was moving he couldn't do a couple of the tests he would have liked in the graphics and sound areas. Testing equipment packed away still.

link to said review.

Battery life seems to be limited by the display

• Reply 18 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Meanwhile Samsung Shares are falling on the PR spin.

I saw that. Analysts supposedly taking the news as evidence that Samsung might not be able to meet the high demand. You'd expect that kind of analyst spin with a new iPhone, but I'm pretty surprised that Samsung's market presence is getting the same kind of "overwhelming demand" stories now. this is a first for them I think.

• Reply 19 of 102
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    No it didn't. My son-in-law mentioned that he pre-ordered the S3 at Verizon, tho it won't be available until the second week of July. A quick check of Sprint shows they're not available there either. At ATT they're saying the S3 is expected today. That's far from "launched at all 4 carriers last week". Factual accuracy would be a nice touch in AI articles. Just as in measurements, verify/proofread twice, publish once.

AT&T customers that pre-ordered got our phones last week. Due to demand though, some pre-orders were delayed until today. Sprint also got phones to their pre-orders last week.

Verizon is the only carrier waiting until mid-July to start sending out phones and that is because of their new shared data plan initiative.

And point in fact, the S3 did technically launch on the 20th in NYC for the North American market. This included all major US carriers.

So yes, a little factual accuracy from people complaining about factual accuracy would be nice.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    newtonrj wrote: »

-RJ
    Considering the delays for those that pre-ordered in the US, I'd say every one of those units has sold. It pissed a lot of us off at at&t when we had to wait an extra 5 days to get the S3 we pre-ordered weeks ago. Qualcomm is having a tough time meeting Samsungs demands as well.

Samsung is expected to sell over 50 million smartphones this quarter, dwarfing Apple.