Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    69ergoo69ergoo Posts: 42member

Very well said. I agree 100%.

• Reply 62 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

What part of the iPhone is aluminum?

Point taken.  The last time exposed aluminum was used on an iPhone was in the original model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Samsung sells phones directly to customers too. In fact, in some countries, that's the only legal way to buy a phone.

Indeed, in this particular case Play.com is acting as the 3rd party reselling partner.

• Reply 63 of 102
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Point taken.  The last time exposed aluminum was used on an iPhone was in the original model.

Indeed. Too bad Walter Isaacson didn't understand this.

• Reply 64 of 102
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

LOL. They expect to "sell" 10M in July, but still won't report any actual sales numbers. (For the record, Apple is the only handset manufacturer to do so).

I wonder why..... 

• Reply 65 of 102
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Wow, Samsung has really turned on the hype machine.

Sales must have fallen to dismal levels with only a million sales since "9 million preorders".

The "technical issues" delaying the launch of the blue painted plastic model.

Astroturfers everywhere pumping out their bullish it.

Overhyping "shortages" to create a perceived demand.

Although it's a fairly nice phone it's another latest generation of quad core phones just like what HTC and other Android manufacturers are making.

So how come you Americans are getting a dual core model?

Samsung may have homogenised the name across carriers but they still have very different hardware.

• Reply 66 of 102
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I think you're confused. What makes you think that Apple usually delivers its phones directly to end users? Sure, that's an option and some percentage is undoubtedly going that way, but most iPhones are sold via carriers, just like everyone else.

I haven't seen Apple comment succinctly on direct vs. carrier sales (except to say that they won't comment succinctly on it.) The most I have seen them say is that their sales channels are highly diversified. Where have you seen this information comparing sales chanesls?

• Reply 67 of 102

Quote:

I've dropped my iPhone 4 and 4S each about 30 times. Not a scratch on either.

Let's not forget S2 also has glass. One can argue that iPhones have two glass surfaces and therefore double the odds of "shattering". But many users have a case, which reduces the odds of shattering to being the same for S2 and iPhone (i.e. very low in both cases).

I've seen plenty of Galaxy handsets with cracked and broken screens, glass is glass sh it happens.

If you're worried, buy a case.

• Reply 68 of 102
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

LOL. They expect to "sell" 10M in July, but still won't report any actual sales numbers. (For the record, Apple is the only handset manufacturer to do so).

I wonder why..... 

Must be the Samsung Sales Conspiracy! We can add it to the list along with the Samsung Copying Conspiracy....

• Reply 69 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    e_veritas wrote: »
    Must be the Samsung Sales Conspiracy! We can add it to the list along with the Samsung Copying Conspiracy....

As the latter isn't a conspiracy and the former exists through the continued refusal of the company to present its sales numbers…
  • Reply 70 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Its not an argument, iPhone does have two glass surfaces and the back is what shattered on my wife's, with the bumpers on it, which is a moot point, we are talking about the phones not the cases, if all you have to do is add a case to counter an argument than my phone looks way better than an iPhone because of my classy case.  The original question implies that glass and aluminium i better than plastic and I am pointing out why I think it is not.

By "aluminium" don't you mean "stainless steel"?

...because that's what it is.

Such a major blunder pours doubt over the veracity of the story of the "shattering" of your "wife's iPhone".

• Reply 71 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As the latter isn't a conspiracy and the former exists through the continued refusal of the company to present its sales numbers…

So Samsung didn't conspire to copy Apple's designs?? Never thought I would hear that statement coming from the lips of TS!

Regarding their refusal to release sales numbers, certainly there must be some nefarious intent by that action. Why else would they not give them....?

• Reply 72 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I've seen plenty of Galaxy handsets with cracked and broken screens, glass is glass sh it happens.

If you're worried, buy a case.

That was kind of my point.

• Reply 73 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Its not an argument, iPhone does have two glass surfaces and the back is what shattered on my wife's, with the bumpers on it, which is a moot point, we are talking about the phones not the cases, if all you have to do is add a case to counter an argument than my phone looks way better than an iPhone because of my classy case.  The original question implies that glass and aluminium i better than plastic and I am pointing out why I think it is not.

It's not glass and aluminum v. plastic. It's glass and glass and stainless steel v. glass and plastic. My point is that ALL smartphones have glass.

• Reply 74 of 102
    e_veritas wrote: »
    So Samsung didn't conspire to copy Apple's designs?? Never thought I would hear that statement coming from the lips of TS!

Nice try.
    Regarding their refusal to release sales numbers, certainly there must be some nefarious intent by that action. Why else would they not give them....?

I'm also curious why a publicly traded company somehow doesn't have to report devices sold. I'd say that needs looked into.
  • Reply 75 of 102

Let's say Samsung releases a version of S III running WP8, and it sells a few million. How do we track the scorecard of Samsung v. Apple? Is it GSIII v. iPhone regardless of OS?  Or do we stick with the tried and true Android v. iOS?

• Reply 76 of 102

Quote:

I'm also curious why a publicly traded company somehow doesn't have to report devices sold. I'd say that needs looked into.

Because, at the end of the day, it's about how much money is made. Furthermore, if publicly traded companies are compelled to be 100% explicit about their operations, what would analysts do? What would Shaw Wu do for a living if that he doesn't have to stand in front of Apple stores to count how many iPhone 4Ses are sold v. iPhone 4s?

Shawwwww Wuuuuuuuu!

• Reply 77 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,229member

Quote:

Of course they report their sales. They just don't break them down into as much detail as forum members here would like. I've no idea why they should either. Does the detailed number of devices sold somehow make the profit numbers higher? Few here would believe the numbers anyway even if they did.

• Reply 78 of 102

Quote:

Nice try.

So what did you mean by your statement? It seems pretty cut and dry to me. Either Samsung conspired to copy Apple's designs and we have a "Samsung Copying Conspiracy", or they didn't.

Quote:

From a Samsung shareholder's perspective, why does it matter if a device was sold to an end user or a carrier?

• Reply 79 of 102
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

I've dropped my iPhone 4 and 4S each about 30 times. Not a scratch on either.

Let's not forget S2 also has glass. One can argue that iPhones have two glass surfaces and therefore double the odds of "shattering". But many users have a case, which reduces the odds of shattering to being the same for S2 and iPhone (i.e. very low in both cases).

My wife dropped her iPhone 4 while getting her keys out of her pocket and same result....cracked all across the front of the phone. Ridiculous.

• Reply 80 of 102
    faster wrote: »
    Ridiculous.

Indeed. Glass shouldn't be fragile at all. Why, I should be able to drop my phone from 30,000 feet and use it the next day.

I should also be able to drop my quartz countertop on the ground or hit it with a hammer and have it not fracture.