Samsung expects Galaxy S III sales to reach 10M in July

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

So what did you mean by your statement? It seems pretty cut and dry to me. Either Samsung conspired to copy Apple's designs and we have a "Samsung Copying Conspiracy", or they didn't.

I don't think it (conspiracy) means what you think it means.

-I. Montoya

• Reply 82 of 102
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I don't think it (conspiracy) means what you think it means.

-I. Montoya

Hmmm...maybe you have another definition that I'm not aware of?

conspiracy

n pl -cies

1. a secret plan or agreement to carry out an illegal act; plot

2. the act of making such plans in secret

Considering all the allegations at AI of cover-ups & avoidance from Samsung (deleting emails, etc), and their lack of transparency, I'm not sure how this doesn't match the definition. Please elaborate....

• Reply 83 of 102
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

How is plastic phone better than aluminum and glass? Have you used Samsung TV's remote controls? That's how the phone feels. You should look into HTC ONE X and apply that logic there.

Depends on what you like I guess, we get issued iPhones at my job but I have a One X also. When my coworkers saw it sitting on my desk most of them really liked it.

• Reply 84 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fazzter wrote: »
    My wife dropped her iPhone 4 while getting her keys out of her pocket and same result....cracked all across the front of the phone. Ridiculous.

You chose to marry someone who is so clumsy they can't even handle a phone. If you want to call your choice ridiculous, that's OK with me.

In the end, though, glass breaks. Glass on Apple's phone breaks. Glass on Samsung's phone breaks. If you don't want to have a phone with a glass surface, you're free to buy one of these:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mobile_radio_telephone.jpg
    e_veritas wrote: »
    So what did you mean by your statement? It seems pretty cut and dry to me. Either Samsung conspired to copy Apple's designs and we have a "Samsung Copying Conspiracy", or they didn't.

From a Samsung shareholder's perspective, why does it matter if a device was sold to an end user or a carrier?

Because handset manufacturers typically have to offer a refund to carriers for unsold units.
    LOL. They expect to "sell" 10M in July, but still won't report any actual sales numbers. (For the record, Apple is the only handset manufacturer to do so).

I wonder why..... 

More importantly, they claimed to have 9 M preorders five weeks ago. So between May 18 and the end of July, they're only going to sell 1 M additional units? Wow.
  • Reply 85 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Because handset manufacturers typically have to offer a refund to carriers for unsold units.

Link?  I think that carriers actually don't get a refund for unsold units.  If they did then they would never mark down the prices on older phones.  If they know they'll get refunded then they will continue to sell phones at the highest possible price and return the unsold phones at the end of the contract period.

• Reply 86 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,229member

Quote:

I'm not sure it's typically true either. I'd have to see some proof of that as it doesn't make sense considering the sales the carrier's run on the older models.

• Reply 87 of 102
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

We are repeatedly told by Apple that their one size fits all iPhone strategy is best because it makes things easier for developers. But Android developers don't seem to have a problem adjusting their app's for the multiitude of different sized Android phones. Last time I checked the number of Android app's was not that far behind the number of iOS app's. I hope the success of phones like the S3 will make Apple look again at this policy. I don't think we need a multitude of iPhone sizes - just 2 would do: 3.5" and 4.5" or something along those lines. I think that would satisfy most people.

I don't get it.  Seriously I don't.  Apple markets a variety of machine form factors and configs to run OS X programs on screens from 11.6 to 27" currently - including Retina and non-Retinized variants - and makes money (or at least holds "mind share") on them all - because they all fit the various needs and budgets of segments of buyers.  And yet for years now they've ceded the entire screen size market from 3.5 to 9.7" to other companies with a line limited to one phone, one tablet (and lest we forget, one long in the tooth iPod variant) - as if, having discovered the "golden mean" for all iDevices they can develop and release no others.

iPhooey!!  Let's say Apple released a Galaxy III (or so) sized screen, forgetting for a moment whether or not it has more pixels [the dreaded "new res to write for"] or just slightly larger ones. There's really no question that for a significant slice of the market it would meet their needs better. 

One simple, but telling consumer level reason:  You're at a club, party, picnic (or whatever social gathering) taking pics and vids with friends and everybody wants to see.  Which has more appeal:  the purity of retina-res or the fact that more of your friends a few feet away can make out bright and colorful content? 

And one more analogy:  all mainstream at least mid-scale HDTV's have the same 1080p res, yet there are healthy market slices for sets from 22-80" - again for multiple reasons including budget, room size, types of viewing done, etc. - an astounding range compared to what we're talking about here - even tho you can clearly see pixels if you want to stick your nose on your 80" screen. 

I hope Apple's not becoming paralyzed and blindered by their own marketing schemes here! 

I also think the case for a maxi-iPhone is stronger and more compelling than that for a mini-iPad - but in fact I'd like to see what Apple can do at both 4-5 and 7-8" once they figure out how or if to jigger the OS to "make them so."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's all fun and games until the next iPhone. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

A $99 4S and a new design for v6... should be interesting.

The above two near-randomly selected quotes show what I mean.  It's almost gospel or something in articles, on forums and from Apple's marketing that there has been, is and will be continue to be one perfect instrument that is their sole entry into the entire world of smart phonery!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Resizing objects on a screen is not an issue with android. How do you make an app more usefull on a 4.8“ display compared to a 3.5 inch display with android? You don’t, that’s the problem, you just resize to fit the screen.

See my take on HDTV screen sizes and market segments above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

The best part is when you get an app that looks like Android 2.2 on a 4.0 OS device. Looks like you have a different phone. That's the problem with Android OS, Google changed the looks so many times all apps look different. The fitting is not an issue, looking like a complete, polished product -- is.

Two (or eventually, gasp, more) phone models - with Apple's control over OS updating and distro means that this "phate" would not occur for their phones. 

• Reply 88 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Link?  I think that carriers actually don't get a refund for unsold units.  If they did then they would never mark down the prices on older phones.  If they know they'll get refunded then they will continue to sell phones at the highest possible price and return the unsold phones at the end of the contract period.

Let's see:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1762879-Carriers-Looking-to-Lower-Phone-Subsidies/page2
    "Carriers do not typically pay manufacturers for devices until the units are sold. The carrier acts as an agent and sells the device on consignment. Unsold inventory is returned to the manufacturer. If the price comes down on a device, the lower wholesale price would be given to the carrier on their remaining inventory."
  • Reply 89 of 102

I think it'll easily reach 10m by July. It's an incredibly succefull series of phone.

I loved my S2 but I'll stick with my Galaxy Nexus (the first phone that will get 4.1 Jelly Bean) at least until the next iphone or nexus phone comes out.

• Reply 90 of 102

Quote:

Let's see:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1762879-Carriers-Looking-to-Lower-Phone-Subsidies/page2

"Carriers do not typically pay manufacturers for devices until the units are sold. The carrier acts as an agent and sells the device on consignment. Unsold inventory is returned to the manufacturer. If the price comes down on a device, the lower wholesale price would be given to the carrier on their remaining inventory."

Did you actually just quote a forum post as evidence?

Here let me try that:

"LOL, this is not the case at all"

For reference, my evidence comes from the reply to your evidence.

• Reply 91 of 102

Quote:

Let's see:

Did you really just attribute your source to a user comment made in some forum!!!

What is even funnier is that the next comment in the thread that replied to your quoted comment is:

"LOL, this is not the case at all - I'm sure the carriers would love terms other than net 30."

How is your quoted user comment any more valid than the next? In the future, to avoid getting laughed at by everyone here and killing your credibility, please refrain from sourcing any random user comment on the internet. This is just TOO funny!!!

Edit: Sorry wakefinance. I must have been writing this when you posted yours. Looks like you beat me to the punch.

• Reply 92 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Did you actually just quote a forum post as evidence?

Here let me try that:

"LOL, this is not the case at all"

For reference, my evidence comes from the reply to your evidence.

In jragosta's defense, he usually just makes stuff up or completely distorts the main points of his sources. I suppose ANY accurate quote is a step-up, even one from a completely non-credible source.

• Reply 93 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

In the future, to avoid getting laughed at by everyone here and killing your credibility, 

Much, much too late for that.

• Reply 94 of 102
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

The above two near-randomly selected quotes show what I mean.  It's almost gospel or something in articles, on forums and from Apple's marketing that there has been, is and will be continue to be one perfect instrument that is their sole entry into the entire world of smart phonery!

Huh??!!

Take another pull there, Scooter.

• Reply 95 of 102
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Considering the delays for those that pre-ordered in the US, I'd say every one of those units has sold. It pissed a lot of us off at at&t when we had to wait an extra 5 days to get the S3 we pre-ordered weeks ago. Qualcomm is having a tough time meeting Samsungs demands as well.

Samsung is expected to sell over 50 million smartphones this quarter, dwarfing Apple.

In all the honesty, number of them will be Galaxy mini and Galaxy Ace.

That being said, we got first S3 in our office today, as it is major candidate for new company phone (at least for lucky few). Looks sweet, even if I'm finding size a bit... frightening. Nothing I couldn't get used to, I guess. Built quality feels nicer in real, compared to images. Still below iPhone/Lumia feel, but perfectly acceptable.

• Reply 96 of 102
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Huh??!!

Take another pull there, Scooter.

The rest of my post is clear on the fact that I'm referring to the fact it's natural and smart for Apple to expand its CURRENT line (not just the old models) to two form factors with different ergonomic trade-offs - both suitable for actual, sizable market segments.  The 3.5 incher is great - and likely to remain the best seller, but nothing prevents them from having two screen sizes.   My friends love iOS but they also love the big screens - and often opt for them.

One can argue this is done in a "ooh, see bright shiny penny, pick it up" manner of decision-making.  But most of those would jump at a phone that offered both the 4"+ screen and iOS.  And the possibility that Apple's planning anything like this is almost never discussed despite the fact there's a business and user case to make for it.  We're all conditioned to expect one phone a year. 

And thanks for starting a drinking game on AI.  Bout time. 

Like every time you see the word "fanboi" you have to take a shot.  Your turn.  :) 

• Reply 97 of 102
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

The rest of my post is clear on the fact that I'm referring to the fact it's natural and smart for Apple to expand its CURRENT line (not just the old models) to two form factors with different ergonomic trade-offs - both suitable for actual, sizable market segments.  The 3.5 incher is great - and likely to remain the best seller, but nothing prevents them from having two screen sizes.   My friends love iOS but they also love the big screens - and often opt for them.

One can argue this is done in a "ooh, see bright shiny penny, pick it up" manner of decision-making.  But most of those would jump at a phone that offered both the 4"+ screen and iOS.  And the possibility that Apple's planning anything like this is almost never discussed despite the fact there's a business and user case to make for it.  We're all conditioned to expect one phone a year. 

And thanks for starting a drinking game on AI.  Bout time. 

Like every time you see the word "fanboi" you have to take a shot.  Your turn.  :) 

I'm sure everyone surmised that exact thing from your ever so clear original post.

... and it wasn't drinking that I was referring to...

• Reply 98 of 102
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

Pre-ordered. Very excited.

Anyone else here getting it?

Except I'm wondering about the garbage AMOLED screen... I'm demanding of screen quality. 

I looked at some AMOLEDS (Nexus, Note, S II) in stores and was blown away by how dim they are, and the burn in, pentile jaggedness, etc. My droid blows them away. And of course iPhone has the BEST screen. Although Rezound seems about the same. If the S III has any of this, I'll just ditch it for a Rezound or something LCD. If anyone here has a S III can they comment on its screen?

So, I love Android almost more than my Mac at this point. I may use it more actually. I find it so easy to use and friendly vs. the cold and rigid iOS which I hate most parts of. I have an iPad 2 btw also. 

It feels lonely to be a Mac fan and Android fan at once... I like them both. I want to like iProducts. My original iPod was awesome and Apple made/makes the best MP3 player ever created in my mind. But I find Android much friendlier and more suited to my needs. 

• Reply 99 of 102

Samsung Galaxy S III is great features mobile phone.Looking towards the Samsung Galaxy S III, you will find it a slim, sleek and stylish.this smartphone by Samsung is blessed with the latest version of Android.

Key Features:

Android OS v4.0.4, CPU 1.4 GHZ, 8 MP Rear Camera, 1.9 MP Front Camera, 4.8 Inch large screen with Corning Gorilla Glass 2.

• Reply 100 of 102
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member

I just wonder when Greenpeace and other "watchdog" organizations will look at the factory conditions at Samsung's partners? While it's totally appropriate to challenge Apple's ethics (and Apple has done a decent job of responding to those criticisms—not just with rhetoric, but by actually doing something about it) other companies (Samsung, LG, Lenovo, Asus, Dell, etc.) must be held to at least the same standards. They cannot be given a free pass simply because Apple is king of the hill for now. Just sayin'.