Microsoft faces 'major dilemma' pricing Surface tablets against iPad

Comments

• Reply 181 of 209

Many people think that the new touch-based OS will make a big difference.  XP, Vista and Windows 7 don't work well on a touch-based device.

And "Many people" have been oh so wrong so many times in the past because they believed the lies from Microsoft. That is just plain fact.
  • Reply 182 of 209
    4phun4phun Posts: 51member
    mark dodel wrote: »
    And "Many people" have been oh so wrong so many times in the past because they believed the lies from Microsoft. That is just plain fact.

You bring up an interesting point. Touch is widely use in mobile.

What American car company just had JD POWERS dramatically lower their rating because their American Microsoft system software was such a poor experience?

I bought a Toyota Hybrid Camry instead of a competing Ford product simply because I didn't want my precious wife to experience 'the blue screen of DEATH' while driving cutting edge tech!
  • Reply 183 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

By the way, I want a Surface Pro so that I can use only one device instead of having to own a computer AND a tablet.

By the way, I want a Delorean Monstertruck so that I can drive only one vehicle instead of having to own a monster truck AND a sports car.

The Delorean Monster Truck

• Reply 184 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ha! When I saw the Surface I didn't think of the Zune, I thought of the Newton. Great idea... bad implementation. The Newton never overcame its shortcomings. I see the same thing happening with the Surface. The Zune... bad idea... bad implementation.... imho.

I was there for the Newton as well... and the handwriting facet was between okay and great.

Steve Jobs was right, though: I can type on the iPad a lot faster than I could write on the Newton.

Bragging about the quality of handwriting on the Surface is like bragging about capacity of floppy disks. Sure, you can probably plug a floppy drive into the USB port of a Surface, and get mad at anyone who disagrees with how important you think it is. That's how these forums work.

• Reply 185 of 209
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/150896/microsoft-faces-major-dilemma-pricing-surface-tablets-against-ipad/160#post_2134149"]Apple should do the right thing and hold a funeral for this tablet with a kickstand. It would be the polite and proper thing to do. I don't even think that it deserves to be buried, just cremate it and get it done with.

Ha ha, yeah, they can bury it next to ol Steve-o. And in ten years, with no more true innovation like what Steve provided, you can bury Apple next to it.
  • Reply 186 of 209
    axualaxual Posts: 244member

I'll say it again ... this is Zune II

• Reply 187 of 209
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    By the way, I want a Delorean Monstertruck so that I can drive only one vehicle instead of having to own a monster truck AND a sports car.

"Once this baby crushes 88 cars per hour…"
  • Reply 188 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Ha ha, yeah, they can bury it next to ol Steve-o. And in ten years, with no more true innovation like what Steve provided, you can bury Apple next to it.

Unsportsmanlike conduct in the forums! No punches below the belt.

• Reply 189 of 209
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

At least MS is presenting such an idea. 

Does Apple have one OS that can work as a computer and tablet depending on the situation? Nope. Got to have 2 devices and 2 OSes.

Does Apple have true handwriting recognition software? No. Got to buy a Windows machine.

And it isn't an act of faith. Currently, the Surface is the only device that will provide those capabilities. I am not tied to MS or Apple. IF Apple created such a device I would buy theirs. Same with any other manufacturer that created such a device. As it stands either MS or Apple are really the only two who can do this. BUT...MS has to deal with building hardware a massive scale...which is not something they are particularly skilled at doing. Apple doesn't have a handwriting recognition option on any of their devices. So....I might as well hope for MS to make the Surface. If it doesn't work out...my world won't fall apart.

It is interesting that so many Apple folks nay say the Surface, but if Apple were to make such a device that could act as a desktop/laptop/tablet all-in-one the Apple supporters would have a global orgasm. The only REAL problem with the Surface is that MS came up with it...not Apple.

You've missed my point entirely. At this stage the Surface is no more than a concept, it does not exist as a useable product. The demonstration threw out some broad ideas - but did not address specifics. Would you still 'want one' if the battery life was only two hours for example? This would be Microsoft's first attempt at building a tablet - how do you know that build quality would be acceptable, what level of failure rate would be acceptable to you - of  the two demonstrated one stopped working, their record on the only vaguely similar device they have attempted, the X-Box, was very poor, at least initially. How practical will that keyboard be to use - we just don't know at this point.

If I am considering purchasing a device that is costing a grand or so I would read some reviews, try one out in a store, check out some forums where people have bought them to hear of their experiences with the device and not just lay down the cash because a salesman tells me it's the best thing since sliced bread and the answer to all my woes.

• Reply 190 of 209
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allblue View Post

You've missed my point entirely. At this stage the Surface is no more than a concept, it does not exist as a useable product. The demonstration threw out some broad ideas - but did not address specifics. Would you still 'want one' if the battery life was only two hours for example? This would be Microsoft's first attempt at building a tablet - how do you know that build quality would be acceptable, what level of failure rate would be acceptable to you - of  the two demonstrated one stopped working, their record on the only vaguely similar device they have attempted, the X-Box, was very poor, at least initially. How practical will that keyboard be to use - we just don't know at this point.

If I am considering purchasing a device that is costing a grand or so I would read some reviews, try one out in a store, check out some forums where people have bought them to hear of their experiences with the device and not just lay down the cash because a salesman tells me it's the best thing since sliced bread and the answer to all my woes.

You are wasting your breath. I can almost guarantee you that Apple threw around the same idea, having full OSX run on a tablet, but came to the conclusion that a tablet and a desktop were two distinctly different animals and, rightly so, decided to move forward into the future of computing where, at some point, the two, tablet and desktop, would merge and propagate in a way that isn't quite visible at this point in time. I just wonder what the reaction would have been from the other side of the fence had Apple said everything that Microsoft said last week and didn't have a working sample and wouldn't have one for almost a year in the future. Oh, the cat calls, the screaming, the shouting...

As I've said before... Microsoft will drag us kicking and screaming into the past.

• Reply 191 of 209
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    The last MS product I bought was an upgrade to XP from NT (so I could run it on Parallels).  It cost me $250 for the upgrade and every reinstall, I had to install NT first (several hours tending the machine) followed by the XP upgrade (several more hours tending the machine) -- then several more hours tending the "required" update downloads and installs.

The "packaging" on the XP upgrade looked as if it were for a whale condom ;)

We no longer have any MS products on our computers -- so the whale has become celibate.

you are correct sir. (in case you ever need to install win 7 on someone elses computer) to installing vista, windows 7, on the cheap is to buy the upgrade version, install it and whenit asks you to enter the license key, do not; just skip the step. then when the install has completed, rerun the win7 install disk, and then enter the win 7 key... works!...
  • Reply 192 of 209
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Do you have any interest in sharing where or how the rest of us can get a Quad Core 3Ghz computer for $500?

Tigerdirect

• Reply 193 of 209
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Um, how do you know this, Tim?  Are you on the MS development team?  Are you privy to the manufacturing specs actually submitted to a plant in China or South Korea?  Please don't answer "I've read the website info" or "I saw the LA presentation."  Microsoft is INFAMOUS for announcing/leaking products that never actually make it to market, so the actual name of the "Surface" should be "The Surface VW" (for "Vaporware").  Hope to hear more insider information.

Are you kidding me? It says right on the Surface website that a full-sized USB port is on the device. Saying not to believe what the website says is completely ridiculous.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

• Reply 194 of 209
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

thoroughly ninjaed

• Reply 195 of 209
    timusca wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? It says right on the Surface website that a full-sized USB port is on the device. Saying not to believe what the website says is completely ridiculous.

Microsoft has never lied about anything. And anything on their website must be true. I've got a great deal on a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you.
  • Reply 196 of 209
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

No, he's correct. The existence of a USB port does not imply what has been said.
  • Reply 197 of 209
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I don't think anyone has fully addressed your comment yet. Having a USB port does not mean that the OS has the drivers and other software to understand what you wish to do with it.

One thing MS (and Android) has infamously done over the years is state one thing, which is factual, with an implication of something else.

I assume you remember the issue with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows drivers. Now consider that the ARM-based Surface will be another architecture that will require new drivers for it. That means that everything you've ever plugged into WinPC that worked right away with Plug-n-Play will not work unless it the appropriate drivers. Again, just the existence of a USB port means nothing in and of itself.
  • Reply 198 of 209
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,612member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Do you have any interest in sharing where or how the rest of us can get a Quad Core 3Ghz computer for $500?

I noticed someone above said TigerDirect but thought no way. Surprisingly you can, an i5 CPU Lenovo including 6GB DDR and 1TB HDD!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3163417&CatId=4928

• Reply 199 of 209
    You're incorrect, the title clearly states Surface cost. Microsoft is the only one making ghe surface not OEM's. So either the title is wrong or the data is.
  • Reply 200 of 209
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Local Storage in a Cloud computing model can be minimized and some extents more is bad (backups). You need to have an adequate local working set... the rest is in the cloud.  

SkyDrive (existing users) = 25GB for $0/year 

SkyDrive (new users) = 27GB for $10/year

iCloud = 25GB for $40/year

Just sayin'