Analyst: Apple can 'relax,' as Google Nexus 7 is 'just another' Android tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That thing is just slightly larger than the largest Android phones. Are Fandroids so dumb, that they'll carry around both a 5" phone and a 7" tablet? Wait a second, don't answer that, as I am well aware of the mindless stupidity of Fandroids, which knows no limits. At the end of the day, neither of those sizes are acceptable for doing any real tablet tasks. And for people who supposedly claim to care about specs, 16GB max is kind of lame.

• Reply 22 of 106
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member

Remind me again, why are analysts' opinions newsworthy?

• Reply 23 of 106

ITT we learn how insecure Apple fans are.

• Reply 24 of 106
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I bet Apple are breathing a huge sigh of relief when they read this anal-yst's thoughts. I can imagine prior to this revolation that Apple as a whole were shi**ing bricks.
  • Reply 25 of 106
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That thing is just slightly larger than the largest Android phones. Are Fandroids so dumb, that they'll carry around both a 5" phone and a 7" tablet? Wait a second, don't answer that, as I am well aware of the mindless stupidity of Fandroids, which knows no limits. At the end of the day, neither of those sizes are acceptable for doing any real tablet tasks. And for people who supposedly claim to care about specs, 16GB max is kind of lame.

How aggressive. If I had the money/time/desire, I'd get one just to NOT be like you.

• Reply 26 of 106
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Even though I am a big fan of Apple products, I have to say this tablet is pretty compelling at $199. That Tegra CPU blows away the current A5 processors in the iPad. I like the fact it has GPS built in as well.

I agree that this tablet will not be serious competition to the iPad. It is the iPod Touch that is in serious trouble here. How can Apple hope to sell the current iPod Touch with an old A4 processor, 256 MB of RAM, no GPS and a tiny 3.5" screen for the same price as this 7" tablet? I fully expect Apple's 7" tablet to replace the iPod Touch. I just hope it can compete on specs with the Android Nexus tablet.

You seem to be missing the fact that fewer suckers are blindly purchasing inferior products anymore based on their "specs." That is so pre-2007. Apple's products are successful because of their unmatched user experience and value. Nobody in the market for a super thin, pocketable iPod Touch is going to buy a crappy quality 7" tablet with no app support instead.

• Reply 27 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Both iOS and Android have well over 100,000 apps in the app store with iOS around 600,000 and Android around 500,000.

How many of those apps are optimized for a 7" Android tablet?

• Reply 28 of 106
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 662member
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    Even though I am a big fan of Apple products, I have to say this tablet is pretty compelling at $199. That Tegra CPU blows away the current A5 processors in the iPad. I like the fact it has GPS built in as well.

I agree that this tablet will not be serious competition to the iPad. It is the iPod Touch that is in serious trouble here. How can Apple hope to sell the current iPod Touch with an old A4 processor, 256 MB of RAM, no GPS and a tiny 3.5" screen for the same price as this 7" tablet? I fully expect Apple's 7" tablet to replace the iPod Touch. I just hope it can compete on specs with the Android Nexus tablet.

The iPod Touch actually has a rear facing camera and a retina display but yes, if Apple put out a 7" iPod Touch, they could probably bury these bottom-end slabs like the Nexus and Fire out of business.
  • Reply 29 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Thinking the same thing here. Why choose a phone that's too big for your pocket and a tablet that's barely bigger than your phone?

• Reply 30 of 106
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Thinking the same thing here. Why choose a phone that's too big for your pocket and a tablet that's barely bigger than your phone?

Which phone are you talking about exactly?

• Reply 31 of 106
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

How many of those apps are optimized for a 7" Android tablet?

No idea to be honest.

• Reply 32 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't think Apple was ever worried about this. The only reason it got any press at all was Google throwing their name around. If it had been only Asus-branded, I doubt the analysts would even bother to mention it, precisely because it is just another $199 seven-inch Android tablet.

I don't think anyone here is actually getting the point of the Nexus devices. They're intended as concept builds, examples of recommended hardware configurations matched to newly introduced OS versions.

Google isn't attempting to compete with any of it's licensee's with this tablet and certainly not Apple. This is a consumption device example, much too small to be used as a serious creation tool. The tablets that follow this one over the next few months will add to Google's basic Nexus7 concept model, running Android 4.1x, yet despite added features several will still hit the sub-$200 price-point. Others will play up in the more premium 9-11" tablet space with more premium pricing, but using the same general base hardware specifications with the same OS version.

It's fun for the media to proclaim Nexus devices as Google's flagship models and intended to go directly after Apple. They're not. Nexus models are used to introduce a new OS and the recommended hardware to support it. 

• Reply 33 of 106
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member

Nexus 7 is competing with Nook & Fire for sub-$250 tablet market. They seem to be after the low-end market and digital consumption. Not sure why they would think the mass consumer would eat this up??? Did Netbook ever take off because it was cheap??? 

• Reply 34 of 106
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

Agreed.  And would like to add that Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) is more advanced than iOS 5 and possibly even iOS 6 when it comes to features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

• Reply 35 of 106
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Agreed.  And would like to add that Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) is more advanced than iOS 5 and possibly even iOS 6 when it comes to features.

When I use my iPad 2, only a few things come to mind regarding the device itself: The impressive screen, battery life, and its build quality.  I think most consumers have the same criteria, so processors, OS features, etc. are immaterial to the mass market.  Sure, some may complain, but most don't know how to implement the features currently in the device (e.g., gestures, app switching, etc.).

• Reply 36 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

When I use my iPad 2, only a few things come to mind regarding the device itself: The impressive screen, battery life, and its build quality. 

The Nexus7 is reported to have an impressive screen and good battery life. Build quality is yet to be determined, but as it's an ASUS product I'd be surprised if it was an issue.

• Reply 37 of 106
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    gtr wrote: »
    Or at any other price point either.
    If they can't even get the device's dimensions right, then I can't see them getting the more complicated stuff right either.
    And, seriously, where's the kickstand and stylus?
    (>_<)

Slightly off topic but ... Re the kick stand, the more I use Windows 8 the more I suspect the kickstand will be used literary....
  • Reply 38 of 106
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member

Clearly this device is targeted at stopping the Amazon Fire (which is sucking what little oxygen there is out of the 7" tablet market), but, frankly, except for the die-hard Google geeks, I think the few consumers tempted by small, cheap tablets are more likely to be attracted by the Amazon device than this.

• Reply 39 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    zozman wrote: »
    I think the very important number is, how many apps are optimised for tablets are on each store.

More importantly, how many GOOD apps are there in each store?

And how many malware infested apps are there in each store?
    rtm135 wrote: »

Funny how we've been hearing that since Android 1.0 came out - yet Android has still never reached the fluidity, consistency, and ease of use of iOS.
  • Reply 40 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More importantly, how many GOOD apps are there in each store?

And how many malware infested apps are there in each store?

No one knows. Apple surely wouldn't officially admit to a single one, and Google doesn't report numbers either. Additionally what qualifies an app as malware-infested? Is it when it does something that's not made transparent to the user such as harvesting contacts, calendars or other personal data without clear permission?