Analyst: Apple can 'relax,' as Google Nexus 7 is 'just another' Android tablet

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
One financial analyst says Apple's iPad is in little danger of losing its top spot on the tablet heap to Google's newly-announced Nexus 7, as he believes the device is "just another Android-based tablet."

As expected, Google unveiled its $199 Nexus 7 tablet, the result of a partnership with Asus, on Wednesday at its Google I/O developer conference. The device, which features a quad-core CPU by Nvidia and a 1,280-by-800-pixel display, will go on sale in July.

Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White responded to the announcement with a note to investors saying there was "no threat here" to the iPad from the device. He mentioned Google's first Android-based hardware initiative, the Nexus One, which he said was met with "muted enthusiasm."

"We believe the combination of Apple's expanding digital grid, innovative design, unmatched aesthetics, leading App availability (with 225,000 native iPad Apps), intuitive user interface and expanding technology innovations will continue to keep the Company on top of the tablet market for many years to come," White said.

The analyst noted that the Nexus 7 is more likely to compete with Amazon's Kindle Fire. The two devices have relatively similar specs, as both are 7-inch Android tablets priced at $199. Google itself indicated in April that it was setting its sights on the low end of the tablet market, a segment that Amazon took the lead in late last year with the Kindle Fire.

White went on to call Apple's ecosystem "the magic" that will help the iPad stay on top, especially since the number of native tablet apps for Android are "an insignificant amount."

"In our view, Apple's ecosystem still remains the best in the mobile device world with over 650,000 apps in total and 225,000 apps that are native to the iPad," he said.

Topeka Capital Markets maintains a 12-month price target of $1,111 for shares of Apple with a rating of Buy.

By it's own admission, Google's Nexus 7 was rushed to market. Android chief Andy Rubin told AllThingsD on Wednesday that the company went "from zero to working product in four months."

Asus chairman Jonney Shih said that his engineers told him the project was "like torture." "They ask a lot," he said of Google. The Nexus 7 team was split up around the globe and had a 24-hour development cycle, according to Shih.

Apple likely won't have to worry that the Nexus 7 will eat into its profit share, as Rubin admitted that Google's own profit margins for the device are extremely low. ?When it gets sold through the (Google) Play store, there?s no margin,? he said. ?It just basically gets (sold) through.?

According to recent projections from IDC, the iPad will take back market share from Android this year. Apple is expected to achieve 62 percent tablet share in 2012, compared to an estimated 36.5 percent for Android.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Well gee... thanks for letting all of us sleep at night.  I was getting worried that Google had something with a cheap, bottom-of-the-barrel, bad-build-quality, yet-another-cookie-cutter-Android-tablet-thingy...

I hope the recycling industry is able to reclaim all the precious metals and resources used to make all these crappy Android landfill products.

• Reply 2 of 106

At this price point it was never going to be a competitor to the iPad. 

• Reply 3 of 106
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

....as Rubin admitted that Google's own profit margins for the device are extremely low. "When it gets sold through the (Google) Play store, there's no margin," he said. "It just basically gets (sold) through."

That's a great business model. No margin?

• Reply 4 of 106
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    At this price point it was never going to be a competitor to the iPad. 

Or at any other price point either.

If they can't even get the device's dimensions right, then I can't see them getting the more complicated stuff right either.

And, seriously, where's the kickstand and stylus?

(>_<)
  • Reply 5 of 106
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    That's a great business model. No margin?

Why would an advertising companycwantvto make money on hardware? It's the same reason broadcast television is free but still makes money. There is a lot of mobey in both sides of the advertising business.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    galaxytabgalaxytab Posts: 122member

Phew!

Thank god an Analyst has chimed in. They're always right! 

• Reply 7 of 106

I don't think Apple was ever worried about this. The only reason it got any press at all was Google throwing their name around. If it had been only Asus-branded, I doubt the analysts would even bother to mention it, precisely because it is just another $199 seven-inch Android tablet.

• Reply 8 of 106
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

Google are quite happy to make no money from Android products. The only reason it exists is so Google has another medium for its advertising and seems a lot of people are quite happy to use badly made and inferior products f they are cheap and not made by Apple.

• Reply 9 of 106

Even though I am a big fan of Apple products, I have to say this tablet is pretty compelling at $199. That Tegra CPU blows away the current A5 processors in the iPad. I like the fact it has GPS built in as well.

I agree that this tablet will not be serious competition to the iPad. It is the iPod Touch that is in serious trouble here. How can Apple hope to sell the current iPod Touch with an old A4 processor, 256 MB of RAM, no GPS and a tiny 3.5" screen for the same price as this 7" tablet? I fully expect Apple's 7" tablet to replace the iPod Touch. I just hope it can compete on specs with the Android Nexus tablet.

• Reply 10 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well gee... thanks for letting all of us sleep at night.  I was getting worried that Google had something with a cheap, bottom-of-the-barrel, bad-build-quality, yet-another-cookie-cutter-Android-tablet-thingy...

I hope the recycling industry is able to reclaim all the precious metals and resources used to make all these crappy Android landfill products.

You may be right, but I predict that this tablet will sell like hotcakes next year at garage sales all over the USA. People will be eyeing these like they do paintings of Elvis on black velvet, and singing fish on lacquered boards (batteries not included).

• Reply 11 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Even though I am a big fan of Apple products, I have to say this tablet is pretty compelling at $199. That Tegra CPU blows away the current A5 processors in the iPad. I like the fact it has GPS built in as well.

I agree that this tablet will not be serious competition to the iPad. It is the iPod Touch that is in serious trouble here. How can Apple hope to sell the current iPod Touch with an old A4 processor, 256 MB of RAM, no GPS and a tiny 3.5" screen for the same price as this 7" tablet? I fully expect Apple's 7" tablet to replace the iPod Touch. I just hope it can compete on specs with the Android Nexus tablet.

Compete on specs?! Compete on specs?! The only specs that mean anything to consumers are: (1) Does it have a big white Apple on the back, and (2) are there over 100,000 apps and games already in the app store? People don't even STEAL android devices!

• Reply 12 of 106

Won't compete with iPad but it was never intended to. It is designed to kill the Fire and the Nook.

What it will do is damage the already falling sales of the iPad Touch

• Reply 13 of 106
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    GrangerFX wrote: »

The iPod Touch is not threatened at all. For one thing, the iPod Touch actually fits in pockets.

The Tegra CPU might blow away the A5, but modern OSes (especially mobile ones) do very little with the CPU. The majority of the processing work is related to the graphics, which is offloaded to the GPU, and no Android device has a GPU comparable to the GPU in the iPad 2, let alone the iPad 3.

Despite that, I do think Apple needs to be worried about the iPad. The reality is that Apple cannot be as good as their competitors.

1) Because of their business model (limited product line; HW and SW by the same vendor) they need to be far better. The multiple vendors, with millions of devices model means that 1 model may contain a certain little feature which may cover for any other deficiencies it has (e.g., the Galaxy Note gives you stylus input, which has meant it has sold reasonably well, because it is a feature a niche of people want). So Apple's offerings need to be significantly better. Fortunately, the integrated business model also means that it is far easier for Apple to innovate, so they need not fall behind in this regard.

2) Price Point. The starting iPad price is $300 more. It may be a significantly better device, but that is quite a huge price point jump. Again, Apple does not need to play in the no margin, bottom of the barrel market, but they need a slightly more competitive device. Currently, I think they aren't really in any trouble, because the iPad 2 at $400 is an effective substitute.

3) Size. The 7" size is actually quite useful to some, especially women. I have seen people who wanted an iPad, buy an Android tablet because the 7" model fits in their handbags. Without a 7" (or thereabouts) Apple is completely out of this market.

I think Apple would be wise to release an intermediate device between the iPod Touch and the iPad. A 7" device would solve their pricing issues, and complete the range, hitting all essential target markets.
  • Reply 14 of 106
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    It may make a dent if they hire Kevin Bacon as their spokesman.
  • Reply 15 of 106
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    galaxytab wrote: »
    Phew!

Thank god an Analyst has chimed in. They're always right! 

By the way, just wanted to congratulate you on your awesome sales, GalaxyTab!

GREAT username!

If you need any others, please note that the following are also available on this forum:

RIM
    Windows Phone
    Google Wave
    Vista
    Sega Dreamcast
    Touchpad
    MySpace
    HD DVD
    Kin
    Playbook
    Google+
    Nokia N-Gage
    DRM
    PSP
    Beta
  • Reply 16 of 106
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Compete on specs?! Compete on specs?! The only specs that mean anything to consumers are: (1) Does it have a big white Apple on the back, and (2) are there over 100,000 apps and games already in the app store? People don't even STEAL android devices!

Both iOS and Android have well over 100,000 apps in the app store with iOS around 600,000 and Android around 500,000.

• Reply 17 of 106
    Is It bad if I want my grubby little hands on one?

It can reside next to my CR48 beta chrome book :D
  • Reply 18 of 106
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

By the way, just wanted to congratulate you on your awesome sales, GalaxyTab!

GREAT username!

If you need any others, please note that the following are also available on this forum:

Sega Dreamcast

What the F is wrong with the dreamcast?!. :p

I love the dreamcast, at the time it was way better then the PS & PS2, its a shame that better games wasn't enough for it to be successful & Sony's dodgy tactics didn't help much either.

• Reply 19 of 106
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Both iOS and Android have well over 100,000 apps in the app store with iOS around 600,000 and Android around 500,000.

I think the very important number is, how many apps are optimised for tablets are on each store.

• Reply 20 of 106

Apple has cornered the photocopiers and they have to place a product in the market with zero cost in order to have a chance and not even doing that, they succeed (example: Kindle Fire plummeting sales).

Next phase will be paying people to take their products and not even doing that will make them succeed. People will get the products and use as paper weight.