Bill Gates: There is 'a strong possibility' Apple needs a Surface-like device

Comments

• Reply 41 of 300
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member

LOL Bill Gates is a funny man. 

• Reply 42 of 300
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member

Can somebody please enlighten me.

With the x86 surface tablet, is the intention that you use a mouse, or to use x86 windows programs with a touchscreen?

• Reply 43 of 300
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

A 400 to 600 g Mac would be nice. Whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). The Mac in your pocket. Always. Not for heavy work, but great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

• Reply 44 of 300

Apple doesn't need a Surface, Microsoft needs an iPad.:-)

• Reply 45 of 300
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're right. Not. iOS has extremely advanced APIs and highly efficient hardware that makes difficult look ``dumbed down.'' Steve Jobs recognized People spend 90% of their computer time on a Web Browser and instead of attempting to shove a kludge down everyone's throat by telling them they all need business applications they brokered two tracks--the enterprise and the consumer. The Enterprise builds custom solutions for their business processes and extends to the Cloud and the Consumer gets a bevy of consumer driven consumption software that no platform can touch. Desktops and Laptops are not going anywhere. Microsoft could give a rat's ass about a laptop now that they are entering into the OEM market with their kludge. They fantasize about selling hundreds of millions of kludges running Office and thus absolving the need for small to enterprise level staff using these pieces of crap that will be replaced every 12 months, instead of the typical 24-48 month replacement businesses currently schedule in stages.

Microsoft makes the bulk of its revenues off of their office products and that will never change. They shove that crap down everyone's throat by force feeding the education markets with it and now that they are getting smoked in the education fields Bill is going on a PR campaign to talk about how Apple needs to be more like Microsoft.

Steve recognized that was Apple's problem and now Microsoft can't handle reality--the world is leaving Microsoft behind.

I care less about microsoft - and yes 90% of the people spend their time on web browsers... because 90% of the people make nothing - it is the rest that still to this day make the sites they look at, layout the e-magazines they read - design and build the apps they use. non of it is made on an iPAD or Mickey Mouse iOS

It is nice that that 90% that went no further past crayons are happy with IOS - but for the rest of us who actually do not waste that much time on doing nothing - it would be nice to also get a tablet device from Apple.

• Reply 46 of 300
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

I'm sorry. Isn't this the visionary genius who declared tablets are the future over a decade ago, but was too short-sighted to actually produce anything anyone wanted? And now Microsoft has released a new market defining device that... runs Windows and, umm, turns into a... netbook. Wha?

If Apple had released a tablet that ran Mac OS X, it would just be another Mac in a different form factor. Putting a desktop OS into a popular form factor, ain't going to make that OS any better. In fact, it might make it more cumbersome. Apple decided to use iOS which was extremely efficient and drop dead simple to use. It's a computer without all the old tired "computer" stuff casual users do not want to deal with.

True, there might be people who want a desktop OS running on a tablet like device, just as there were a few people who wanted an Ultra-Mobile PC too!

• Reply 47 of 300
    They still don't get it. It's so sad.
  • Reply 48 of 300
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They've already got one, and they're already using it. 

I can confirm that. 

• Reply 49 of 300
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Real men use iPads to have fun. They aren't much good for work so real men have real computers for when they need to work. Some real men try to get by working on an iPad but it really depends on what kind of work they need to do. If the iPad is suitable then they can get by, if not, they switch to a real computer. This really isn't rocket science. The problem I see with that combo device is that it really isn't very good at either fun or work. We'll know more when they actually release it.

perhaps - but at this point that is an assumption - if someone can make both work it would be Apple..

• Reply 50 of 300
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

I care less about microsoft - and yes 90% of the people spend their time on web browsers... because 90% of the people make nothing - it is the rest that still to this day make the sites they look at, layout the e-magazines they read - design and build the apps they use. non of it is made on an iPAD or Mickey Mouse iOS

It is nice that that 90% that went no further past crayons are happy with IOS - but for the rest of us who actually do not waste that much time on doing nothing - it would be nice to also get a tablet device from Apple.

Correction, jerk. 90% of people make nothing on a computer. Some people don't want to waste time screwing around on a stupid computer. Just because some people only use a computer for consumption, doesn't mean they're useless or worthless.

Do you own a hammer? Have you built a house with it? Or do you just use it to hang pictures on the wall?

Do you own a baseball glove? How many outs have you caught in the big leagues? Or do you just use it to play catch?

You're a real ass hat for thinking that people who only use a computer to surf the web are "wasting time" and too dumb to make it "past crayons".

Go !@#$ yourself.

• Reply 51 of 300
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

Bill, You didn't have to say anything! Please continue great work you are doing with your Foundation! I respect you for all the work there. But, please leave innovation to Apple. 

• Reply 53 of 300
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I bought an iPad as a gift for a friend yesterday. He wanted to get one of those keyboard/cover deals, but me and another friend told him, somewhat from experience, that he would quit using it in about a week.

I think that's how it will be for most people. It eventually just becomes an annoyance, except in this case (no pun intended) you're stuck with it.
  • Reply 54 of 300
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

i assume you're doing work while checking out this forum then.

From a business perspective, Apple would rather sell the iPad to 90% than the 10%. They would sell the Mac to those 10%.

btw, the New Yorker made a cover with an iOS device. Perhaps you should check out this link www.businessinsider.com/ipad-creative-2010-10?slop=1

• Reply 55 of 300
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Yes Bill, right after Apple copy the Zune.
  • Reply 56 of 300
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    While I understand Gates hope, it is far from market, 4-6+ months and at least one major product rollout in Sept. The difference between an all-in1 OS and Apple's dual track is profound and how it will play out is an enormous gamble for MS.

But MS deserves great praise for business risks it is taking and original novel innovation. This is in marked contrast to others INTEL Ultrabooks copying Applr Air and Android copying HW and SW from iPhone, iPad, and iOS.
  • Reply 57 of 300
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    What if we think that it's [I]PC's[/I] that are the 'compromise'?
    Clumsey sledgehammers that assume that all tasks are railroad spikes?
    They've been a great cash cow, Bill, and I'm glad they've funded the good work you're doing.
    But the writing is on the wall, and it says 'focused mobile tools'.
    Glad were on the verge of moving in. PC's were great in the 80‘s. It's a new century.
  • Reply 58 of 300
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

Apple's got the iPad, so they don't need to compete against RT. They've already got it beat by a mile. Put OS X on a tablet? Why? That's the OS on the docking computer, on the home computer. No need to put up with batteries lasting an hour, applications that aren't redesigned for fingers -- you know, the good stuff.

• Reply 59 of 300
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    takeo wrote: »
    I think this is as hilarious as the next guy... but really... the logitech "cover" you speak of is anything but "ultrathin". At 8mm it will basically double the thickness of your iPad. Logitech calling it a "cover" is hilarious. It's nothing at all like the 3mm touch cover for the Surface. I've been a Mac user for 20 years and have never and will never own a PC... but credit where credit is due... you have to admit that the 3mm touch cover for the Surface is pretty cool. Hopefully it will inspire Logitech to up their game.
    I find it ironic that Apple usually gets hate from people for allegedly focusing on form over function, yet the i-haters are drooling all over these surfae keyboards based on how they look when they have no idea how they function Not one journalist was given extensive time using either keyboard. He fact that MS spent most of the Surface announcement talking about keyboards shows they don't get it, and shows that nearly every decision they make is focused on preserving Windows and Office cash cows.
  • Reply 60 of 300
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member

I do like the innovative cover that doubles into a keyboard. That said, I have a cover for my iPad and rarely use it, except on the occasional plane trip. It would be just another thing to carry when I simply can type on the virtual keyboard. I'm not typing novels after all.  I also have an iMac, and they both serve their purposes. Again, the main difference is the OS. Windows doesn't have it now, and I doubt that they will have it in Windows 8, 9, or 10.