Bill Gates: There is 'a strong possibility' Apple needs a Surface-like device

Comments

• Reply 61 of 300
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

Gates must be giving away his sanity along with his money.

• Reply 62 of 300

I can't wait to see the price of Surface. MS will find out the titanium model will sink them so they will do a cheap plastic version instead and still not match Apple on price. They don't have the volume buying power to make this make any financial sense. 

• Reply 63 of 300
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151073/bill-gates-there-is-a-strong-possibility-apple-needs-a-surface-like-device#post_2139652"]
    I don't have to admit any such thing. I have severe doubts about a 3mm touch cover being any good at all, and why would I want to type on one?

If I'm going to be doing a lot of typing, wouldn't it make more sense to use a real keyboard?

I'm fairly certain that my combo of Apple wireless keyboard w/iPad is a far superior typing experience than the Surface.
    Ah but that cover is so innovative and clever, makes Apple's smart cover look dumb. /s
  • Reply 64 of 300
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    Phuck Bill Gates.
  • Reply 65 of 300
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

meanwhile, MS is about to write off a $6 Billion total flop - its utter failure to compete with Google for web ads by buying aQuantive. Another great Ballmer achievement!!

Gates core delusion is that people really LIKE to use Windows. but most consumers find all the fussing with any desktop OS to be a real pain, and endure it only because they had to. there was no alternative.

but now there is. the whole essential point of the tablet era is, it's much simpler, and it Just Works. the Metro ARM Surface might be popular tho, except now they would have to match Google's $200 starting price for non-Apple products, and we know they can't.

i like their strategy. i like it a lot. i see a lot more big write offs in coming years.

• Reply 66 of 300

All hail fellow Bugs Bunny aficionado...

• Reply 67 of 300
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

Following Apple's lead, Microsoft has finally realized that a perfect fusion on hardware and software can only be accomplished with one company. Making blue screens of death and crashes a thing of the past.

SurfaceCrash.gif

• Reply 68 of 300
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Microsoft used to be good at making marketing spin but this is a real feeble attempt at it.  They need some new blood in the mix.  The surface event seemed so retarded it was laughable.  

I do see this device replacing laptop form factors in the future as strong ties to Office, Exchange, and SQL Server will continue to dominate corporations.  In other words, fat clients will need to be around for a bit longer until Google and company can solve all that in the cloud.

Good luck to Microsoft!  The more devices in the market the merrier everyone will be.  

• Reply 69 of 300
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why is Bill even discussing tech? ALL HE EVER DID was universally license Windows, for which Apple brought him the GUI in the first place. Everything MS learned, they learned from Apple, EXCEPT for the part about Universal Licensing. They "innovated" the practice of whoring out their OS all on their own. It certainly did end up putting a PC in every home. It also blessed hapless consumers with the worst computing experiences ever conceived. Dark Ages of tech. 

Then he did what caused THIS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

At which time he went about bullshitting and lying to the court:

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates was called "evasive and nonresponsive" by a source present at a session in which Gates was questioned on his deposition.[2] He argued over the definitions of words such as "compete", "concerned", "ask", and "we".[3] BusinessWeek reported, "Early rounds of his deposition show him offering obfuscatory answers and saying 'I don't recall' so many times that even the presiding judge had to chuckle. 

Worse, many of the technology chief's denials and pleas of ignorance have been directly refuted by prosecutors with snippets of E-mail Gates both sent and received."[4] Intel Vice-President Steven McGeady, called as a witness, quoted Paul Maritz, a senior Microsoft vice president as having stated an intention to "extinguish" and "smother" rival Netscape Communications Corporation and to "cut off Netscape's air supply" by giving away a clone of Netscape's flagship product for free. The Microsoft executive denied the allegations.[5]

A number of videotapes were submitted as evidence by Microsoft during the trial, including one that demonstrated that removing Internet Explorer from Microsoft Windows caused slowdowns and malfunctions in Windows. 

In the videotaped demonstration of what Microsoft vice president James Allchin's stated to be a seamless segment filmed on one PC, the plaintiff noticed that some icons mysteriously disappear and reappear on the PC's desktop, suggesting that the effects might have been falsified.[6] Allchin admitted that the blame for the tape problems lay with some of his staff "They ended up filming it -- grabbing the wrong screen shot," he said of the incident.

Later, Allchin re-ran the demonstration and provided a new videotape, but in so doing Microsoft dropped the claim that Windows is slowed down when Internet Explorer is removed. Mark Murray, a Microsoft spokesperson, berated the government attorneys for "nitpicking on issues like video production."[7] Microsoft submitted a second inaccurate videotape into evidence later the same month as the first. The issue in question was how easy or hard it was for America Online users to download and install Netscape Navigator onto a Windows PC. Microsoft's videotape showed the process as being quick and easy, resulting in the Netscape icon appearing on the user's desktop. 

The government produced its own videotape of the same process, revealing that Microsoft's videotape had conveniently removed a long and complex part of the procedure and that the Netscape icon was not placed on the desktop, requiring a user to search for it. Brad Chase, a Microsoft vice president, verified the government's tape and conceded that Microsoft's own tape was falsified.[8]

And Bill Gates thinks he can "advise" Apple?  Lmao

VISIONARY:

http://www.globalgiants.com/archives/2007/10/microsoft_unvei.html

I hate it when I get rick rolld cuz I always have to watch it.

• Reply 70 of 300
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    With Microsoft announcing a 6 Billion dollar write-off today, I think Bill should defer offering advice until the Surface ships and sells as much as the Zunes.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/170466/width/600/height/453][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/170466/width/600/height/453[/IMG][/URL]
  • Reply 71 of 300
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 181member

oh god this is so funny

i think Bill is hanging around Ballmer too much and has started believing his crap.

• Reply 72 of 300
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

LMAO!

Has this troll been spending way too much time in that 53 million dollar talking house? LOL!

There are so many SPOT ON, as the British would say, responses to Bill's comment I  don't know what I could say that's any different.

Homey is clearly scared because the success of the iPad has showed us that, by the tens of millions, the average person doesn't need a full fledge OS to get things done.

When I got my 1st gen iPad I was rocking 12 mbs speed on Atlantic broadband. Damn! I would buy songs from iTunes, surf the net, down load pod casts from NPR, maybe pick up a movie to watch at work(that takes a while to download) etc. It was all so seamless! Yeah I sound like a commercial but you and I know that is what it is like with iPad.

Bill knows that his full fledge OS(gravy train) is being threatened and he will say, IMHO, anything to sell the position that one need a full body OS.

• Reply 73 of 300
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

i assume you're doing work while checking out this forum then.

From a business perspective, Apple would rather sell the iPad to 90% than the 10%. They would sell the Mac to those 10%.

btw, the New Yorker made a cover with an iOS device. Perhaps you should check out this link www.businessinsider.com/ipad-creative-2010-10?slop=1

very interesting link, thank you

• Reply 74 of 300
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You don't have to make a compromise," Gates said. "You can have everything you like about a tablet and everything you like about a PC all in one device. And so that should change the way people look at things."

I love how Gates and MS keep trying to spin this kludge as something positive. It's like the Android fans in the other thread trying to spin Fragmentation as a feature.

Basically he is trying to redefine the word "Compromise". Perhaps he really does see the iPad as one-dimensional, like an e-reader or a calculator. If so, then that is just sad and he really doesn't get it. I do suspect this is the case, though, because he and Ballmer are so enamored of Windows and Windows Everywhere that they have deluded themselves into thinking that the world should be eternally grateful.

But, the funny thing about going on about "Compromise" is that the Surface epitomizes the biggest Compromise they could ever make: making a touch tablet and PC in one device, neither of which can be the best it can be; each compromises the other. Just like innovation and execution at MS are constantly compromised by their bureaucracy and myopathy, etc (such as in the Vanity Fair article). So, as usual, the MS PR/Spin/marketing is backwards, twisted and just plain weird. The juxtaposition of his thoughts is just jarring. People did change the way they looked at things -- at the way computing was done. Now Bill wants to compromise your computing experience once again by his lack of focus and his inability to make good calls. Well done.

• Reply 75 of 300
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Microsoft used to be good at making marketing spin but this is a real feeble attempt at it.  They need some new blood in the mix.  The surface event seemed so retarded it was laughable.  

I do see this device replacing laptop form factors in the future as strong ties to Office, Exchange, and SQL Server will continue to dominate corporations.  In other words, fat clients will need to be around for a bit longer until Google and company can solve all that in the cloud.

Good luck to Microsoft!  The more devices in the market the merrier everyone will be.  

I agree. What you said made me feel rather nostalgic like seeing all those over sized laptops from back in the days. Go to the flee market and you'll see those relics somewhere. 

Yeah man, eventually the tablets will replace the laptops and desk tops. Clouds will be storing all our stuff, so good buy to optical drives baby!

In ten years when we go to the flee market we'll see our old macbook pro and airs looking like old Greek columns from the Roman days. Yep that's the way it is.

• Reply 76 of 300

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Can somebody please enlighten me.

With the x86 surface tablet, is the intention that you use a mouse, or to use x86 windows programs with a touchscreen?

The intention is that when you would like to use a tablet, it works as a touch screen tablet with simple tablet-style applets.  

When you want to use full versions of software, you can do that too.  If you want a mouse, then you can use a mouse.  Otherwise, you can use the touchscreen built  into the  keyboard.  Or you could hook up an external keyboard with a trackpad, or use a keyboard and a mouse.

"The intention" is that it will be a versatile device that is able to be used in a number of different ways, depending on the task and the preferences of the user.

• Reply 77 of 300
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,965member
    agramonte wrote: »
    I care less about microsoft - and yes 90% of the people spend their time on web browsers... because 90% of the people make nothing - it is the rest that still to this day make the sites they look at, layout the e-magazines they read - design and build the apps they use. non of it is made on an iPAD or Mickey Mouse iOS

It is nice that that 90% that went no further past crayons are happy with IOS - but for the rest of us who actually do not waste that much time on doing nothing - it would be nice to also get a tablet device from Apple.

It's troll time. This guy is ignoring artists, pilots, engineers, doctors who find the iPad a very useful tool for doing their work. It's not all about coding anymore. Real work is being done on the devices that coding built. He sounds very much like the guys who used to deride the Apple GUI as a toy--that only a command line interface marked a "real" computer. Freaking Luddite!
  • Reply 78 of 300

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Real men use iPads to have fun. They aren't much good for work so real men have real computers for when they need to work. Some real men try to get by working on an iPad but it really depends on what kind of work they need to do. If the iPad is suitable then they can get by, if not, they switch to a real computer. This really isn't rocket science. The problem I see with that combo device is that it really isn't very good at either fun or work. We'll know more when they actually release it.

Real men already have built in equipment for having 'fun'.  Usually involves a partner.  They don't need to pay big money to a fruit named company to do so.

• Reply 79 of 300
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

Is it a fridge? Is it a toaster? No! It's a fridge with a toaster! The best of both worlds! How can it possibly fail?

• Reply 80 of 300
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

For me personally, I would consider the Pro Surface over an iPad due to the USB ports and being able to run the audio/music software that I use (nothing even comparable available for iPad).  This would actually be a professional solution to my portable needs.  All speculation until the thing is available though.