'iPad mini' may give Apple larger market opportunity than current iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 149

Unless the miniPad has a 16:9 or :10 screen and an SD card slot, I wouldn't even consider it.

If it has those two aspects, and if it were to be priced competetively, I'd consider it, but given that it will likely run iOS, it is unlikely I'd get it.

• Reply 62 of 149
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

An 8" iPad would be MORE usable for some people and some purposes. For example, for someone who simply wants to read books and who finds the 10" iPad to be too large to comfortably handle, an 8" iPad would be far more usable.

I agree with that too. It depends on the usage. Reading a book, or watching a video or surfing the web won't be much different, it'll only be smaller. Certain apps might be more problematic to use, but a person choosing the iPad mini is willingly giving up ease of usage in certain areas, because they'd rather have more portability. So it all works out fine in the end.

Some people will have both iPads, the regular sized one at home, and a smaller sized one for when bringing it outside the home.

• Reply 63 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Unless the miniPad has a 16:9 or :10 screen and an SD card slot, I wouldn't even consider it.

If it has those two aspects, and if it were to be priced competetively, I'd consider it, but given that it will likely run iOS, it is unlikely I'd get it.

Not gonna happen. 16:9 and 16:10 are retarded ratios for a tablet. Just look at all of the failed Android tablets that are that size. An iPad is equally useful in portrait or landscape mode. The same can not be said for those widescreen ratio tablets.

And what do you mean, given that it will likely run iOS, it's unlikely you'd get it? Of course it's going to fucking run iOS, it's an Apple device.

• Reply 64 of 149
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You lost me on your. 1924x768 comments. How does a 9.7" 1024x768display affect the production of a 7.85" 1024x768 display?

Why keep the 1024x768 form factor?

Why not make a RD display 1920x1280 (2X iPod Touch) for the 7.85"  commit to RD on all sizes, and retire the 1024x768 form factor next year.

• Reply 65 of 149
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Why do people express opinions as if they are facts?

An 8" iPad would be MORE usable for some people and some purposes. For example, for someone who simply wants to read books and who finds the 10" iPad to be too large to comfortably handle, an 8" iPad would be far more usable.

It's a reasonable size spread

4" pocket

8" book size

10" brief sized

I agree for books the leverage of 8" in one hand is doable from just about every position.  a 10" is a bit ungainly for holding in a subway with one hand, reading the news.

• Reply 66 of 149
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    dm3 wrote: »
    I don't believe it likely.
    Likely or not none of your points below are valid.
    There's no reason for Apple to worry about going cheap. Not Apple's style.
    Nobody has said Apple is going cheap! I'm not sure why this thought exists, I fully expect that Apple will keep the same high quality. IPod Touch is a prime example here, it is still a quality but inexpensive product.
    No one has shown 7" tablet to be a useful size. Kindle Fire only did well because its dirt cheap, and it flamed out. Nexus is a non-starter, no content, no distribution channel, no customer support, no reason to own.
    That makes no sense in the context of an Apple product. I mean really nobody had shown tablets to be useful at all until iPad came around.
    Apple hates having lots of products and especially hates lots of development platforms. Introducing another platform would be a major effort for developers to support.
    Baloney! Developers either have successful products or they don't. if the product is successful iPad Mini just means more sales. More importantly Apple has minimized the efforts required to support other screen sizes in iOS. Further they have been warning developers for years not to make screen size and resolution assumptions. Any developer not clued in by now really shouldn't be developing for iOS.
    If Apple did release a 7" tablet, it would give legitimacy to the Fire and Nexus. It would encourage developers to write good apps for this size screen. Neither of those are in Apple's best interests. Best to ignore that size.
    More baloney. What would give those devices legitimacy is a decent operating system, and the infrastructure Apple has.
    If anything, I think Apple should think about a larger iPad. Allow more content creation, more powerful apps. Bigger touch screen.

There is nothing preventing that either. In fact I tend to agree, a larger iPad would certainly be interesting. However I don't see sales potentials anywhere near as huge as iPad Mini.
  • Reply 67 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Why keep the 1024x768 form factor?

Why not make a RD display 1920x1280 (2X iPod Touch) for the 7.85"  commit to RD on all sizes, and retire the 1024x768 form factor next year.

Because they want to price it right. 

Some people might choose the iPad mini because of the extra portability, but others might choose it because of the price. There is a large demographic of poor people out there. I'd rather that poor people's money goes to Apple instead of to crappy Android companies. Of course, Apple shouldn't skimp on the device at all, and they should make a quality device, like they are known for doing.

• Reply 68 of 149
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I don't consider it either...again, where the heck were all you guys to back my statements up months ago.  $50-$100 might be disposable to most.  But, I must say that your argument for wanting a smaller iPad, when you already state you carry a backpack while traveling, for that reason makes no sense.  If you carry a backpack, the current iPad works just fine, if not better than fine.

Makes no sense to you... but, hey, if everyone's needs were the same, welllllll... do I really have to continue...

[I defy you to shove the current iPad into one of the side pockets of my backpack... even 2" would make a huge difference... (ask my Wife) ]

• Reply 69 of 149
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

To the posters claiming they'd like a smaller iPad that was more convenient to carry around I have the following question: Is is the assumption that upon making the screen smaller, the enjoyment of using said device is to remain unaltered?

I use my iPhone most of the time, so yeah, sure. Well, perhaps not, but its all a question of compromise, right. Ideally I'd like a 11" mba with a 27" screen but I doubt I'll ever see one - unless Apple gets truly magical and brings out the MacBook Tardis. The standard iPad is great , but it is big. Like the 15" mb is big compared to the 13". 

• Reply 70 of 149
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

that's not a demographic.

Sure it is. Look up any site that offers demographics and household income is right there. It is one of the most important demographics to consider when you are marketing a product. Why do you think Apple doesn't build stores in low income neighborhoods?

• Reply 71 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMeister View Post

If you look under the hood of a hypothetical iPad mini, all the components inside are the same as a 9.7" iPad. 

Not really. It will be less powerful when and if Apple releases it. People who want portability are going to have to sacrifice a little bit of CPU + GPU power and battery life.

• Reply 72 of 149
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The iPad was described as "ideal size" as that is what they had for sale at the time.

What a lucky coincidence that what they happened to have at the time just so happened to be a 9.7" tablet. They surely didn't carefully plan for a specific size, actually believing that to be ideal, and then repeat their arguments in their marketing campaigns. No that's unlikely.

Additionally, I much rather they have Ive and his design team, and everyone else at Apple keep their focus and work on new products, or work re-designing those old products that really need a refresh rather than cater to fashion trends. The extra effort and time simply isn't worth the small benefits it may bring, a couple more dollars in Apple's coffers.

• Reply 73 of 149
    iluomoiluomo Posts: 25member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My Wife will always want a larger iPad but I won't buy one for myself until there is a smaller one available. If I bought a new 7.85" iPad tomorrow we would still upgrade my Wife's v.1 next year. So market share would definitely increase if people followed our lead.

For me, it's my wife and daughter who use our current iPad 2 the most.  I typically use it in the morning to read news etc.; at night I use it to visit non-news related websites or use the Kindle app on it .  I never take it with me out to work - I'm a Mac consultant who works onsite & remotely - because a) it's primarily used by the gals throughout the day and b) I personally find it too big and heavy to carry around with me while I'm out and about.

I have a regular Kindle I never use anymore because I prefer a backlight screen for night reading.  I also feel like the Kindle GUI is kludgy and too limited. But I LOVE the size.  All it's lacking is the cool Apple hardware aesthetic and the marvelous iOS experience.  Enter iPad mini.  If that happens, I am so all over it.

I say it's coming.  There's too much buzz from the big guys on this (WSJ, Bloomberg, Daring Fireball, etc.) for this not to be a reality.  The only question is timing.  And I, for one, can't wait.

• Reply 74 of 149
    xmikuxmiku Posts: 32member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Because they want to price it right. 

Some people might choose the iPad mini because of the extra portability, but others might choose it because of the price. There is a large demographic of poor people out there. I'd rather that poor people's money goes to Apple instead of to crappy Android companies. Of course, Apple shouldn't skimp on the device at all, and they should make a quality device, like they are known for doing.

You call "poor" someone who cannot afford a full sized iPad but wants to own one and therefore buys an iPad mini instead? I call him stupid. Cannot afford a motorcycle? Then go and buy a minibike!

The two inches mean huge difference in use cases of those devices.

• Reply 75 of 149
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Why do people express opinions as if they are facts?

Never claimed it was a fact that it would be less usable

Why does everyone fall back on the fact vs. opinion argument?

The line gets blurred all too often, but i think that has more to do with comprehension and perception than actual intention.

• Reply 76 of 149
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Never claimed it was a fact that it would be less usable

Why does everyone fall back on the fact vs. opinion argument?

The line gets blurred all too often, but i think that has more to do with comprehension and perception than actual intention.

Hmmmm... I can see why that line gets blurred.

For example, people can confuse the two (fact/opinion) when someone expresses, "Makes no sense...". It tends to get translated as, "Makes no sense, end of story, nothing left to say, forget about it..."... only because it sounds so much like that person takes their opinion as gospel, therefore transmuting it into fact.

• Reply 77 of 149
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sure it is. Look up any site that offers demographics and household income is right there. It is one of the most important demographics to consider when you are marketing a product. Why do you think Apple doesn't build stores in low income neighborhoods?

Oh but that's not what you said.  You said that "people with money" is the demographic.  That's technically many different demographics.  You're lumping every demographic into one and calling THAT a demographic.  That's like saying a dog is a "race" but it's really a species.

• Reply 78 of 149
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'd like it smaller. I drew up a size that I would like. The overall device would be 7.25 x 4.5 with a diagonal screen size of 7.25". that would actually fit nicely in the back pocket of Levis 501. Not that I would carry it there for very long but it would be nice to be able to put it away in the back pocket for a few minutes while doing something that required two hands.

I think you are describing a more wide-screen Android type device.  

Assuming they keep the current aspect ratio and assuming the bezels remain the same size, an iPad mini would measure 7.73 x 6.18 (the new Nexus tablet is 7.8 x 4.7).  So it would only be a couple of inches smaller than the current iPad in length and width and (again, assuming the aspect ratio is the same) much wider than most pants pockets.  Even if they narrow the bezels substantially on the sides or almost make them disappear like on the iPhone, it would still be 5" wide at minimum, since the panel itself would be 6.23 x 4.68.  

• Reply 79 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

The two inches mean huge difference in use cases of those devices.

It depends on the usage. Books, watching a movie, or surfing the web are all fully doable, it'll just be on a smaller screen. I'm not claiming that a mini-iPad will be just as usable as the main iPad. I'm one of the people who's stating that the larger iPad is far more usable, especially when using certain apps. 

But for certain uses, I do see the reasoning behind a smaller iPad, because it'll be lighter, smaller and more portable than the flagship iPad.

It's about priorities, for those people, like me, who need the full experience and the max usage, they'll use the 9.7" iPad. For those people who for whatever reason want a smaller iPad, maybe it's for a child or a woman, they can choose the iPad mini.

• Reply 80 of 149
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    mstone wrote: »
    Actually the enjoyment would be much better since I would actually have the device with me. You know the old saying 'the best camera is the one you have with you'.

The problem is that too many consumers, attracted to a lower price, would buy the smaller device instead of the current form factor and then be less happy with using it on a regular basis. This would have a negative long-term impact.

Apple makes a device that fits perfectly with your basic requirement that you would actually have the device with you. Two such devices in fact. The IPod Touch and the iPhone. The difference is that those devices are clearly differentiated from the iPad. There is no danger that someone would buy a Touch on the understanding that it be an alternative to the iPad.

The size of the screen has a lot to do with the sort of experience the iPad delivers. Change it and the iPad comes across as a different device. Attach the iPad name to the smaller device and the larger one suffers from guilt by association. Jobs understood this and I imagine the folks running Apple today do as well.