San Francisco to cease Mac purchases without EPEAT certification

145679

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 195

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by catchblue22 View Post


     I already have an iPad, and I hate it...it feels like an iJail and not a walled garden.  Figuring out how to move files around from program to program is excruciatingly frustrating.  If you don't want to do things Apple's way on the device, well...actually you have to do it Apple's way. 


     



     


     


    I feel the same way about iOS.  I loved my 3GS for about a day and a half.  Then I got totally frustrated when I was repeatedly told by the Apple help line that what I wanted simply was impossible.


     


    I really hate the launcher.  There is no choice whatsoever except "snap to grid".  So I tried to find an alternate launcher.  Yeah, right.  Apple didn't allow any such thing to be available, and short of Jailbreaking, there  was no other place to even  search for software.  


     


    That stuff blew my mind,  I thought I was getting a pocket computer, and yet there were artificial limitations baked in from the ground up.  I was coming from the PalmOS, which was pretty much exactly the opposite in attitude.  Anybody could do anything-they were encouraged to advance the platform, and not handcuffed.

  • Reply 162 of 195
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Are you a recycling specialist? Apparently no, because glue does make recycling much more difficult.

    See the thing about that is, is that apple has its own recycling program and will happily take any old mac and recycle it for you so where's the problem?

    They will actually pay you with a gift card for your old Mac if the parts can be reused. If not they will recycle it at no cost to you.

    Here is a quote from the Apple recycle page:

    "Get an Apple Gift Card for the value of your old device.

    Turn that iPhone, iPad, or computer — Mac or PC — you’re not using anymore into something brand new. Send it to us and we’ll determine if it qualifies for reuse. If it does, that means your device has monetary value that we’ll apply to an Apple Gift Card, which you can use for purchases at any Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. If your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC doesn’t qualify for reuse, we’ll recycle it responsibly at no cost to you."

    http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/
  • Reply 163 of 195
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 863member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151192/san-francisco-to-cease-mac-purchases-without-epeat-certification#post_2143810"]A bunch of really sick people live in San Francisco. Isn't that the same city that banned happy meals a while ago? Those people are batshit insane. And they've also considered banning pets? Is that an actual American city or is it some little communist town run by radical, authoritarian, dictator wannabes? It's like a prison for freaks.

    As for San Fran banning Macs from being bought by city agencies, who cares? As the article said, Macs only make up a percent or two of their complete usage, so let 'em ban what they want. Apple doesn't need San Fran, and neither do I.

    Other than being the city where all of apples modern products were unveiled, from the iPod, to iPhone, to iPad, to OS X, to every years most exciting Macworld expos since Steve's resurrection of our favorite computer company, to the venture capitalists that fund pretty much every facet of the 21st century world ecomony, to the culture that brought us Apple and the computer you are (ironically) using, and Steve Jobs' birthplace, you are right, who needs it.

    You are from the east coast, right? Shouldn't you be using an IBM and wrecking the economy through ponzi schemes? One could argue, who needs THAT?
  • Reply 164 of 195

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    Now you've devolved into pure nonsense.


     


     


    I saw nothing that constituted nonsense in his post.  If anything, he was stating common beliefs.  The comment about acid changing your perceptions in a permanent and beneficial manner has recently been the subject of a mainstream TV show, Mad Men.  An overly straight-laced advertising exec takes a hit of acid, and he is changed for the better.  This is mainstream stuff.

  • Reply 165 of 195
    hungoverhungover Posts: 602member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post





    See the thing about that is, is that apple has its own recycling program and will happily take any old mac and recycle it for you so where's the problem?


      I guess not all Macs will be returned to Apple though. Not all customers are aware of the recycling schemes or may to live too far from a store. Perhaps apple could increase participation by offering free collection but that would be rather expensive

  • Reply 166 of 195
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,525member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by catchblue22 View Post


     I already have an iPad, and I hate it...it feels like an iJail and not a walled garden.  Figuring out how to move files around from program to program is excruciatingly frustrating.  If you don't want to do things Apple's way on the device, well...actually you have to do it Apple's way. 


     



     


     


    I feel the same way about iOS.  I loved my 3GS for about a day and a half.  Then I got totally frustrated when I was repeatedly told by the Apple help line that what I wanted simply was impossible.


     


    I really hate the launcher.  There is no choice whatsoever except "snap to grid".  So I tried to find an alternate launcher.  Yeah, right.  Apple didn't allow any such thing to be available, and short of Jailbreaking, there  was no other place to even  search for software.  


     


    That stuff blew my mind,  I thought I was getting a pocket computer, and yet there were artificial limitations baked in from the ground up.  I was coming from the PalmOS, which was pretty much exactly the opposite in attitude.  Anybody could do anything-they were encouraged to advance the platform, and not handcuffed.



    The marketplace seems to have spoken as to the relative merits of PalmOS and iOS.

  • Reply 167 of 195

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post





     What have you EVER upgraded on a laptop? 


     


     


     


    On my 2007 MPB I've bought three new batteries, the third from an alternate supplier as Apple doesn't make them anymore.  I have upgraded my hard drive twice - 250GB to 500GB to 750GB.  I upgraded the RAM to the maximum, and I had the display fixed under Applecare.  My machine runs fast and well, and my goal is to get 8 years out of it.  As for OWC having SSD upgrades, I didn't know that.  The Apple website says specifically to buy the largest SSD that you need as it is NOT upgradeable.  The SSD interface IS proprietary, which will prevent installation of a standard interface SSD and thus limit my choice.  It looks to me as if OWC is building their own SSD with Apple's proprietary interface.    I still think the battery glue issue is a problem, since there is a wire underneath the glued battery that could easily be damaged on removal.  

  • Reply 168 of 195
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,657member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post



    You are from the east coast, right? 


    Yes, I am, and as I already pointed out in this thread, my city is not much better. While San Fran is banning happy meals, the Mayor of my city, who suffers from a Napoleon complex, is banning soda.

  • Reply 169 of 195
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member


    On my 2007 MPB I've bought three new batteries, the third from an alternate supplier as Apple doesn't make them anymore.  I have upgraded my hard drive twice - 250GB to 500GB to 750GB.  I upgraded the RAM to the maximum, and I had the display fixed under Applecare.  My machine runs fast and well, and my goal is to get 8 years out of it.  As for OWC having SSD upgrades, I didn't know that.  The Apple website says specifically to buy the largest SSD that you need as it is NOT upgradeable.  The SSD interface IS proprietary, which will prevent installation of a standard interface SSD and thus limit my choice.  It looks to me as if OWC is building their own SSD with Apple's proprietary interface.    I still think the battery glue issue is a problem, since there is a wire underneath the glued battery that could easily be damaged on removal.  

    1) If you've had 4 batteries for a machine that only came out 5 years ago then you are doing something wrong or you don't realize that there is a warranty on your HW, which still points to you doing something wrong.

    2) Apple's SSD cards are not proprietary, they are custom. There is nothing stopping anyone from making their own SSDs that use the mini-PCIe slot with the appropriate pinouts. There is absolutely no evidence that Apple has in any way limited the RMBPs to only register their SSDs and no others, just like with their MBAs which have 3rd-party SSD cards

    3) I was thinking your comment about 4 batteries in 5 years is BS but since in another post you stated, "Figuring out how to move files around from program to program [on the iPad] is excruciatingly frustrating." I have to chock it up to not understanding technology.
  • Reply 170 of 195

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    The marketplace seems to have spoken as to the relative merits of PalmOS and iOS.



     


     


    Just like it has as to the relative merits of Windows and OSX?


     


    C'mon.

  • Reply 171 of 195
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 863member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Yes, I am, and as I already pointed out in this thread, my city is not much better. While San Fran is banning happy meals, the Mayor of my city, who suffers from a Napoleon complex, is banning soda.



    You do realize that happy meals were never banned, right? Just the free toy that comes with it? McD's still charges extra for the toy. I'm not saying I agree with the legislation, but comparing this to Stalin's communism in which over one hundred million were murdered makes you look rather trivial, as well as uninformed.

  • Reply 172 of 195
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,509member

    I saw nothing that constituted nonsense in his post.  If anything, he was stating common beliefs.  The comment about acid changing your perceptions in a permanent and beneficial manner has recently been the subject of a mainstream TV show, Mad Men.  An overly straight-laced advertising exec takes a hit of acid, and he is changed for the better.  This is mainstream stuff.

    I heard about that episode. I'll have to check it out. As for being mainstream, that would be nice. They say it takes 30 or 40 years for a new idea to sink in. Maybe it's finally happening, and the Great Pharmacological Inquisition is over. Anyway, thanks for coming out on the thin ice.
  • Reply 173 of 195

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    1) If you've had 4 batteries for a machine that only came out 5 years ago then you are doing something wrong or you don't realize that there is a warranty on your HW, which still points to you doing something wrong.


    2) Apple's SSD cards are not proprietary, they are custom. There is nothing stopping anyone from making their own SSDs that use the mini-PCIe slot with the appropriate pinouts. There is absolutely no evidence that Apple has in any way limited the RMBPs to only register their SSDs and no others, just like with their MBAs which have 3rd-party SSD cards


    3) I was thinking your comment about 4 batteries in 5 years is BS but since in another post you stated, "Figuring out how to move files around from program to program [on the iPad] is excruciatingly frustrating." I have to chock it up to not understanding technology.


    lol


     


    1)  As indicated in this post, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1371338?start=0&tstart=0, Apple covers batteries only if they are under 300 charge cycles.  My batteries were all over 300 charge cycles.  Thus I use my computer.  Lots.


     


    2)  Semantics.  There is an accepted standard for SSDs and Apple didn't use it.  I didn't say they were limiting access to it.  The very fact it is different shrinks the choice of drives I can use in it.  On my MBP I can slot in any standard hard drive.  Not so for the RMBP.  Someone will have to make an SSD specially for the RMBP


     


    3)  Moving files between programs using folders is impossible, as each app plays in its own sandbox and has NO access to the files of other apps.  There is no easy way to say put a directory with a series of movies, and have those movies accessible from multiple players.  And most file transfers have to be done through iTunes, which is irritating.  I have found a file browsing app that allows access to my shared drives, and it is the most common way I play media.  However it doesn't play all formats.  There is no easy way to save a file to a commonly accessible folder.  No access to the filesystem sucks.


     


    Your insults were unnecessary, and quite frankly amusing.

  • Reply 174 of 195
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 365member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    1. It seems like a lot of those dispensaries are being raided and shutdown, left and right. 


     


    2. My social skills didn't pose any problems in any other state that I visited during that trip. Weed was everywhere and easy to get, as long as you had the cash. But in progressive and hip San Francisco? Not so. I visited around 15 states during that trip.





    Where the hell did you spend all your time in SF?  Weed is about as easy to get in San Francisco as any city in the U.S.  The only thing I could think of is that you were acting like a tourist or an undercover cop. 


     


    When I lived in Haight-Ashbury, pot was plentiful everywhere you looked in that neighborhood.  The local hardware stores have whole sections dedicated to "indoor gardening" ... y'know for "herb gardens" and stuff.  Not that I have first hand knowledge (hehe), but my roommates (all originally from the Midwest) assured me that the pot getting passed around that neighborhood was excellent quality with lots of competition keeping the prices low. 


     


    And it's primarily the feds that have been busting the pot clubs around the Bay Area. 

  • Reply 175 of 195
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    lol

    1)  As indicated in this post, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1371338?start=0&tstart=0, Apple covers batteries only if they are under 300 charge cycles.  My batteries were all over 300 charge cycles.  Thus I use my computer.  Lots.

    2)  Semantics.  There is an accepted standard for SSDs and Apple didn't use it.  I didn't say they were limiting access to it.  The very fact it is different shrinks the choice of drives I can use in it.  On my MBP I can slot in any standard hard drive.  Not so for the RMBP.  Someone will have to make an SSD specially for the RMBP

    3)  Moving files between programs using folders is impossible, as each app plays in its own sandbox and has NO access to the files of other apps.  There is no easy way to say put a directory with a series of movies, and have those movies accessible from multiple players.  And most file transfers have to be done through iTunes, which is irritating.  I have found a file browsing app that allows access to my shared drives, and it is the most common way I play media.  However it doesn't play all formats.  There is no easy way to save a file to a commonly accessible folder.  No access to the filesystem sucks.

    Your insults were unnecessary, and quite frankly amusing.

    1) So you're taking a battery with an 80% charge capacity and replacing it with a single battery with a 100% charge capacity instead of using both the new old battery for a combined capacity of 180% that will still be 160% after 600 full charges? Sounds smart¡ Did you even check the usage before replacing them or check with Apple before buying another one?

    2) You're using a 5 year old notebook which you spend about ,what, $130 a year on batteries instead of selling it and investing in a newer model with 1000 full cycle batteries before they are only at 80% of their original capacity? BTW, Apple does use proprietary battery tech to achieve that 1000 cycle capacity.

    3) Frankly it's unbelievable that someone on this forum in 2012 is complaining about being blindsided about how the iPad manages files.
  • Reply 176 of 195
    I wish school districts would adopt this certification. Why should our tax dollars be used to support products/companies that are not environmentally friendly?
    Apple is just trying to eke a few more pennies out of each product.
  • Reply 177 of 195
    I wish school districts would adopt this certification. Why should our tax dollars be used to support products/companies that are not environmentally friendly?
    Apple is just trying to eke a few more pennies out of each product.
  • Reply 178 of 195
    I wish school districts would adopt this certification. Why should our tax dollars be used to support products/companies that are not environmentally friendly?
    Apple is just trying to eke a few more pennies out of each product.
  • Reply 179 of 195
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 863member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post



    I wish school districts would adopt this certification. Why should our tax dollars be used to support products/companies that are not environmentally friendly?

    Apple is just trying to eke a few more pennies out of each product.


    Actually you have no idea what Apple's motivations are. 


    I believe this will change the world for the better.

  • Reply 180 of 195
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 863member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post




    Where the hell did you spend all your time in SF?  Weed is about as easy to get in San Francisco as any city in the U.S.  The only thing I could think of is that you were acting like a tourist or an undercover cop. 


     


    When I lived in Haight-Ashbury, pot was plentiful everywhere you looked in that neighborhood.  The local hardware stores have whole sections dedicated to "indoor gardening" ... y'know for "herb gardens" and stuff.  Not that I have first hand knowledge (hehe), but my roommates (all originally from the Midwest) assured me that the pot getting passed around that neighborhood was excellent quality with lots of competition keeping the prices low. 


     


    And it's primarily the feds that have been busting the pot clubs around the Bay Area. 



    Dressed in my work clothes (a polo and khakis) I was offered pot by hippies (or heroin addicts- potato potahto) walking along Stanyan northbound near Haight St. just a few weeks ago.


    A few years ago I found the most incredible blonde hashish in the hippie hill area of GG Park from a dude from Humboldt. That was probably the best cannabis I have ever had. It's all about making a connection. I don't buy from drugged out losers- I buy from businessmen that want to make money by selling a quality product. Steve would be proud image

Sign In or Register to comment.