Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105

yawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn......

two boring companies that make me yawn except for Marissa's face!

• Reply 22 of 105
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Will she be taking the malware there, too?

Share the evil™

• Reply 23 of 105
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

This from the NY Times piece:

After years of heading up its search business, Google’s most profitable unit, Ms. Mayer became vice president of the company’s location and local services in late 2010, a group that included Google Maps and more than 1,000 product managers. But the following year, Google promoted another executive, Jeff Huber, to be the senior vice president for local and commerce, putting him one level above Ms. Mayer’s post. Although Google characterized her move as a promotion at the time, some wondered if she would be content with the reorganization.

------------

Ms. Mayer has many accomplishments to her credit.  And, a lot of relevant experience.  She has managed a large organization at Google.  Yet, most everybody is discounting her ability to turn around Yahoo.  Why?  What I see is a person who knows the industry that Yahoo is a part of, and is talented.  I think Yahoo made a great choice.

• Reply 24 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    applegreen wrote: »
    If you had merely said that she is attractive, that would have been acceptable.  Perhaps.  But, you made a comment that many would consider demeaning when you "wondered if she's on OK Cupid."  Would you have wondered aloud in her presence?

So I make an off the cuff remark about wanting to date her and you ask if I would ever make a remark to a girl in person to see if they are single and/or would go on a date? Sounds like your making some biased comments (or projecting) about how people who are on tech sites can't talk to women. Shame on you¡
  • Reply 25 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So I make an off the cuff remark about wanting to date her and you ask if I would ever make a remark to a girl in person to see if they are single and/or would go on a date? Sounds like your making some biased comments (or projecting) about how people who are on tech sites can't talk to women. Shame on you¡

i wonder if marissa's qualifications are legit or she you know, charmed her teachers in certain ways for good grades.  We know yahoo has a history for having dodgy CEO's LOL

• Reply 26 of 105

Quote:

That's not what you did and you know it.  There is difference between asking a woman out on a date, and leering at her.  A man of honor would never leer at a woman.

• Reply 27 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

She's not only very attractive but she's also a very talented lady. If anyone can turnaround Yahoo I think she can. It's not healthy to have Google with such a dominant position in the market so I really hope she succeeds and gives Google some genuine competition for a change. I might even start using Yahoo again.

I used to use Yahoo! when it was a bunch of people who manually sorted links in a hierarchical web directory.  HTML1.0, baby.

The transitions during the "web portal" years kind of turned me off, and I haven't been back much since.  It would be great if she did something with all of it.  It is a venerable company at this point.

• Reply 28 of 105
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Whoa....what a catch for Yahoo. Guaranteed, she will either fix it or sell it. This gal knows whats she's doing.

• Reply 29 of 105
    That's not what you did and you know it.  There is difference between asking a woman out on a date, and leering at her.  A man of honor would never leer at a woman.

A man of honour? I can't say I find a women is attractive without being without honour? I think you've had enough Rumspringa for a lifetime.

PS: She's showing her ankles in that other pic.

PPS: What I did is exactly what I said I did.
  • Reply 30 of 105

Bigtime 100% earned.

• Reply 31 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

i wonder if marissa's qualifications are legit or she you know, charmed her teachers in certain ways for good grades.  We know yahoo has a history for having dodgy CEO's LOL

Big time 100% earned and legit.

• Reply 32 of 105

Quote:

I agree 100%. With her experience and expertise with Google I really hope she cleans up their site so it's not just a visual mess.

Thats her expertise, bigtime.

• Reply 33 of 105
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Six months tops. Next!

'not saying she's not capable. Yahoo may simply be too messed up for a quick turnaround. We'll see.

Fixed that for you.  You're welcome.

• Reply 34 of 105
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

In other news:  there's still a Yahoo!  Who knew...?

• Reply 35 of 105

Quote:

A man of honour? I can't say I find a women is attractive without being without honour? I think you've had enough Rumspringa for a lifetime.

PS: She's showing her ankles in that other pic.

PPS: What I did is exactly what I said I did.

"Showing her ankles....?"  Why would you even make a comment like that?  How is that relevant to the discussion about Yahoo's pick for CEO?  Are you saying that just because her ankles can be seen in the picture, it gives you the right to leer at her?  This is not Saudi Arabia.

Good God, man !!  You are nothing but a classless boor !!

• Reply 36 of 105
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    What a fabulous choice. She's incredibly talented, has created a lot of value for Google, and I am quite surprised that they let her go seemingly so easily. I think she would have made a far better CEO than Larry Page.

That said, she probably won't succeed at Yahoo. Which would be ok, because, it's common knowledge that Yahoo is unfixable. People will give her major props for trying. Without a doubt, she's going on to much bigger things in tech.

I wish her luck, because there are a lot of ego-driven jerks in the industry who'll be trying to bring her down.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Shame on you for making a sexist comment.

You don't know what "sexism" is do you?  :-)

• Reply 38 of 105
    "Showing her ankles....?"  Why would you even make a comment like that?  How is that relevant to the discussion about Yahoo's pick for CEO?  Are you saying that just because her ankles can be seen in the picture, it gives you the right to leer at her?  This is not Saudi Arabia.

Good God, man !!  You are nothing but a classless boor !!

Leer? As in I have a malicious intent in noting she's attractive. What a fucking riot you are. If I had any malicious intent it would be directed toward you for acting like an ass.

PS: I said acting like an 'ass' but at no time did I leer at your 'ass.'

PPS: I wonder if she owns a Lear jet. Why? Because that would be sexy. (Now you can claim I'm leering at her wealthist, too).
  • Reply 39 of 105
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

This is assuming the board will actually let her make decisions that run counter to Yahoo's "DNA". Or the board's job security for that matter.

There is only one and only Steve Jobs. Man, this world misses you.

Quote:

I agree 100%. With her experience and expertise with Google I really hope she cleans up their site so it's not just a visual mess.

• Reply 40 of 105
    uguysrnuts wrote: »
    This is assuming the board will actually let her make decisions that run counter to Yahoo's "DNA". Or the board's job security for that matter.

There is only one and only Steve Jobs. Man, this world misses you.

I hope she was hired so she can make Yahoo! great again, but you're right, too often we do see a talented exec get picked up but they can't make any headway so they leave.