Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

She's a legitimate dork anyway, check out the laugh:

The dorky qualities only serve to make her hotter. I wouldn't even care about the looks there. Nerdy woman = awesome.

• Reply 62 of 105
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It must be real hard to save that company, the number of people who have tried and failed. Good luck to the new one.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

The deal with big companies is that they say they want change, but they really don't want to change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It must be real hard to save that company, the number of people who have tried and failed. Good luck to the new one.

• Reply 64 of 105
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

If you had merely said that she is attractive, that would have been acceptable.  Perhaps.  But, you made a comment that many would consider demeaning when you "wondered if she's on OK Cupid."  Would you have wondered aloud in her presence?

I disagree. It just means he finds her attractive, and he'd love a world where he might meet a girl like her (brilliant to the point of being CEO of Yahoo! when it's the only thing that may save it, that's telling something...) on OK Cupid.

Someone who considers that demeaning might really need to reconsider his view of the world in general, and women in particular. You really sound like a bitter, embattled sexist guy who denies his issues by agressing anyone who admires a beautiful woman who enjoys professional success.

• Reply 65 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You a single female, AppleGreen?

Just curious...

Heh. I did not consider THAT possibility. Should have remembered Queen Victoria (and Mrs Thatcher...)'s views on women :p

• Reply 66 of 105
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Can I google her yahoo?

You mean you want to Tweet all over her Facebook?

• Reply 67 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

That's not what you did and you know it.  There is difference between asking a woman out on a date, and leering at her.  A man of honor would never leer at a woman.

leer (third-person singular simple present leers, present participle leering, simple past and past participle leered)

1. (intransitive) To look sideways or obliquely; now especially with sexual desire or malicious intent.

So, in your world, looking obliquely/sideways to a woman with sexual desire is evil/dishonorable. I guess dressing in an "inappropriate", non-religion-sanctionned, not-enough-cloth-on-this-dress-way is also dishonorable.

Anyone who uses the "desire is bad" argument automatically disqualifies him/herself from arguing in the world of logic and enters the shady, dangerous world of Faith, with its million religions, forgotten-or-existing Gods. I was in the Museo Egizio of Turin three days ago. You'd be amazed at just how many Gods are forgotten. By the way, Queens of Egypt wielded real power.

• Reply 68 of 105
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

This is a significant hiring for multiple reasons:

1. Mayer was sort of pushed aside, or sideways, when Larry Page took over.  This could be revenge time for her, despite her gracious parting note.  She wasted no time in leaving Google with half a day's notice.  Heck, Yahoo first contacted her merely a month ago!  That's fast closing for a CEO replacement.  She would/should have done more comprehensive due diligence on the company, but probably wanted to jump at the first opportunity to stick it to Google, IMO.

2. She is extremely media savvy, more so than 99.9% of current CEOs. Note how she beat many news outlets in announcing her appointment on Twitter.

3. Unlike Carol Bartz or Meg Whitman, she is a woman CEO with a comp sci degree.  In fact, unlike GInny Rometty (who is IBM's CEO) and Ursula Burns (Xerox's CEO), both of whom do have engineering degrees, Mayer has been actively working in product development.  Therefore, she is a woman CEO who is a product person.  This is rare in tech, unless one is a founder. Thank goodness they went after her instead of Sheryl Sandberg.

4. Yahoo hired her despite the fact that she is pregnant.  They are telling the world this does not matter. Imagine how this inspires young women who are considering engineering and comp sci in college.  Yahoo and Mayer are telling them - yes, you can have it all.  No, motherhood will not impede your career.  The impact of this cannot be underestimated.  If Yahoo is going down (no true signs of that, BTW), they should go down swinging with an engineer/computer scientist at the helm.

5. Sort of repeating point 3 - Yahoo is hiring a product person as CEO! Not a salesperson.  Not a marketing person.  Not a mere management person.  Not someone with Hollywood connections.  But someone who gets technology, and who is passionate about product development and innovation.  That too is rare in large tech companies.

Big, big news and significant advance for women.  (Surprisingly, no pundit saw this coming!)  In light of this, I personally do think it's a shame some of you are indulging in less than respectful remarks.  "Googling her yahoo"?  "Tweeting over her facebook"?  Seriously?

BTW, she was virtually the only Google executive consistently using Twitter and Google+.  Wonder if Google will push someone to fill that void, which is rather ironic (if they have to make someone using Google+ more often).

• Reply 69 of 105
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

This is assuming the board will actually let her make decisions that run counter to Yahoo's "DNA". Or the board's job security for that matter.

There is only one and only Steve Jobs. Man, this world misses you.

Yahoo's DNA? Check out their board - http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/directors.cfm. ; How many of these directors know or care what Yahoo's DNA is?  They effectively dumped Jerry Yang!  They hired Carol Bartz and then Scott Thompson!  What Yahoo DNA do they personify? 

Based on recent events, the only consistent phenotypes of Yahoo's DNA are (i) CEO change every 3-24 months; (ii) survival and in fact profitability despite the turmoil. 

• Reply 70 of 105
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,598member

An additional report with background also includes the news that she and her husband are expecting a child in October. The Yahoo board had no concerns over her pregnancy being a distraction. (?!)

http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/16/mayer-yahoo-ceo-pregnant/

• Reply 71 of 105

Wasn't Marissa Mayer screwing the founder of google back in the day?

• Reply 72 of 105
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Marvin wrote: »
    She's a legitimate dork anyway, check out the laugh:

The phrase 'like Elmer Fudd sitting on a juicer' comes to mind.
    The thing with executives is you never hear about actual achievements, it's always 'she led the team that did...'. Hiring the right people is a skill in itself, telling people what to do can be a skill but I think the people doing the work should be given the credit for it. She may well have earned her way up the corporate ladder, but dating the CEO (http://gawker.com/152210/editorial-googles-power-couple) can help move things along. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing to promote partners as you need people you can trust but being trustworthy to the owners doesn't put someone higher than the people doing the grunt work.
    Larry and Sergey made the achievement:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank
    Marissa certainly increased Larry's PageWank (PageRank is named after him y'see) but her own list is here:
    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/what-google-lost-when-marissa-mayer-left-to-run-yahoo.php
    Not much in there really but then Google products aren't much either. The whole idea is that they are basic things - search results, maps, images, videos, shopping results. Take the core algorithm, get people to manage data centres, hire Marissa to pick a Serif or Sans Serif font and she's important because she made important decisions about a popular product.
    I have no doubt she's a smart cookie; after all, the smartest people get everyone else to do the hard work.
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/marissa-mayer-googles-chic-geek/0
    "Three years ago, The New York Times reported that she asked her team to test 41 shades of blue before settling on a color."

oh ignore this post... shes married...

say it isn't so... oh well, she left because things with the CEO are getting serious or not.
    anyways, the photo on the cover of the US magazine, makes her a geek, more than the pub photo of her in the red dress.
    my guess is that she has become HOT, and wants to move on to new challenges (social, and job wise)

though the hint that marrissa's name and things about her being censored on google is funny...
  • Reply 73 of 105
    applegreen wrote: »
    "Showing her ankles....?"  Why would you even make a comment like that?  How is that relevant to the discussion about Yahoo's pick for CEO?  Are you saying that just because her ankles can be seen in the picture, it gives you the right to leer at her?  This is not Saudi Arabia.

Good God, man !!  You are nothing but a classless boor !!

I just realized you're the funniest person in the world and not an ass...hats off to you, kind sir.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 662member
    So a Google 'rising star' with no relevant leadership experience is suppose to right the Yahoo ship? So what kind of initiative can we expect from the 'rising star' - perhaps Google Buzz, Google Wave, or a dozen other product flops? With Google's immense success in it's core search business, they can afford to float a plethora of products in hopes that one will stick but not so for Yahoo.
  • Reply 75 of 105

She wanted one of those limited edition "I was the CEO of Yahoo! and all I got was this lousy golden parachute" collectors pieces.

• Reply 76 of 105
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 77 of 105
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    applegreen wrote: »
    "Showing her ankles....?"  Why would you even make a comment like that?  How is that relevant to the discussion about Yahoo's pick for CEO?  Are you saying that just because her ankles can be seen in the picture, it gives you the right to leer at her?  This is not Saudi Arabia.

Good God, man !!  You are nothing but a classless boor !!

You talk like this is the victorian era and he has crossed the line by complementing her looks and wondering if she is available. He said nothing about ravaging her or any base or contentious comment. Me thinks this is all in the mind of the reader and a path that you have chosen many times in the past in your mind. I suspect if she had been there or if she has read this comment/thread she would take it as a complement (and most certainly be amused at your comments -- however outdated). Surely a very nice looking woman like she is obviously takes care of her self and has a pretty good idea the effect she has on others. She did not get to the point she is at in her career being oblivious to those around her or to their reactions. If women swoon over a man in a position of power that is handsome, well dressed and young the single ones always look for a wedding ring and talk about what 'hunk' or 'stud' he is. This did not even approach that.

Get a life.
  • Reply 78 of 105
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    youngexec wrote: »
    Wasn't Marissa Mayer screwing the founder of google back in the day?

I don't know. Do you have some video proof? So what if she was.

@ AppleGreen : No that counts as a sexist comment by youngexec.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    gazoobee wrote: »
     Google is also a made up word that came from nowhere.

I thought it was common knowledge by now that Google is a play on googol. The fact that they named their HQ googleplex, after googolplex is a dead giveaway, if there was any doubt before
  • Reply 80 of 105
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Hmmm, I wonder if Marissa Meyer will be to Yahoo! as Stephen Elop is to Nokia. That is, once she is on board will Yahoo! and Google begin working together?