Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Steve Jobs was highly accomplished by 1997. He started a company in a garage. He made the Apple I and Apple II. They then made the Mac, and revolutionised entire aspects of humanity. Apple was known for earth-shattering marketing campaigns and a litany of innovative ideas. Pixar and NEXT were perhaps not recognised as much back then but if you look at the interviews something was ticking in Steve's mind. Apple bought NEXT, leading to Steve Jobs' return.
    I do not see any evidence that Marissa, however accomplished she is, is anywhere at the level of Steve Jobs when he returned to Apple.
    Therefore, given the state of Yahoo, at this point in time there is no reason to believe Marissa can turn around the company to any worthwhile position even in 10 years.

1) Examine what you've stated. You're certain she can't do anything positive for Yahoo! because she's not Steve Jobs. Well that true of everybody and it's shortsighted to suggest that not being Steve Jobs means that she or anyone else has no chance of succeeding. Also note she isn't going against Steve Jobs, or Apple for that matter.

2) You're creating your own strawmen by implying that starting a company in a garage means future success whilst not starting on in a garage means future failure. Let's remember that most companies start small. A comparatively few a made from successful companies and their execs.

3) Let's remember what Dell, Gates, et al. said about Jobs return to Apple was a bad move. These people were well aware of his start. They were also well aware of Jobs in ways that you and I will never know and yet they disagreed with you say in 2012 as something you imply you stated or would have stated in 1997. If I were you I'd question myself when making this canonized statements

4) I don't know if Mayer will turn Yahoo! around. I don't know if Jobs or anyone else could either. To quote Kaylee from Firefly (for digitalclips and TallestSkil), "Sometimes a thing gets broke can't be fixed." I do believe that Mayer's past efforts at Google are great for what I think Yahoo! needs to fix.
  • Reply 102 of 105
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Examine what you've stated. You're certain she can't do anything positive for Yahoo! because she's not Steve Jobs. Well that true of everybody and it's shortsighted to suggest that not being Steve Jobs means that she or anyone else has no chance of succeeding. Also note she isn't going against Steve Jobs, or Apple for that matter.
    2) You're creating your own strawmen by implying that starting a company in a garage means future success whilst not starting on in a garage means future failure. Let's remember that most companies start small. A comparatively few a made from successful companies and their execs.
    3) Let's remember what Dell, Gates, et al. said about Jobs return to Apple was a bad move. These people were well aware of his start. They were also well aware of Jobs in ways that you and I will never know and yet they disagreed with you say in 2012 as something you imply you stated or would have stated in 1997. If I were you I'd question myself when making this canonized statements
    4) I don't know if Mayer will turn Yahoo! around. I don't know if Jobs or anyone else could either. To quote Kaylee from Firefly (for digitalclips and TallestSkil), "Sometimes a thing gets broke can't be fixed." I do believe that Mayer's past efforts at Google are great for what I think Yahoo! needs to fix.

1. I did not say she can't do anything positive for Yahoo. I simply think she has a lower chance than when Steve Jobs came back to Apple.

2. A garage has nothing to do with this, I'm saying that is one of the things that stood Steve Jobs in good stead when returning to Apple.

3. Dell and Gates said this stuff despite Steve's massive list of achievements before just returning to Apple. Apple was in deep, deep trouble then. So on one hand, they underestimated Steve, but Apple was in a worse position than Yahoo is now, I suspect. Overall, sure, I could be wrong, but I stand by my statement. Yahoo has nothing further to contribute to tech, let alone the world, and should shut up shop and quit while they are relatively ahead, regardless of Marissa's capabilities.

4. I also don't know if Jobs can turn Yahoo around. He would have a higher chance than Marissa, for sure, but hence my statement, it is pointless saving Yahoo now. How long has Yahoo been in the search game? And still their results are the crappiest out there. Nobody even knows what it is they do. Let's face it, it's a sh*t has-been company with a sh*t has-been brand. If Marissa can do to Yahoo what Steve did with Apple, it will be the greatest turnaround in recent history. Like I said, it seems quite unlikely though.
  • Reply 103 of 105
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Incorrect. Steve Jobs was highly accomplished by 1997. He started a company in a garage. He made the Apple I and Apple II. They then made the Mac, and revolutionised entire aspects of humanity. Apple was known for earth-shattering marketing campaigns and a litany of innovative ideas. Pixar and NEXT were perhaps not recognised as much back then but if you look at the interviews something was ticking in Steve's mind. Apple bought NEXT, leading to Steve Jobs' return.

I do not see any evidence that Marissa, however accomplished she is, is anywhere at the level of Steve Jobs when he returned to Apple.

Therefore, given the state of Yahoo, at this point in time there is no reason to believe Marissa can turn around the company to any worthwhile position even in 10 years.

Or you could say that he had ran two companies (even though he created them) into the ground. Read the bio again...

• Reply 104 of 105
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

If Marissa can do to Yahoo what Steve did with Apple, it will be the greatest turnaround in recent history. Like I said, it seems quite unlikely though.

Well, what SJ did was the greatest turnaround in history...and if Marissa DOES take Yahoo! from its current state to biggest market cap in the world... amazing it will be.

HP also would need a new CEO, and I hear Microsoft has a monkey with issues in command, but it might just be jealous people with sleazy tongues speaking behind a very talented CEO's back :p