Ex-Google exec Marissa Mayer to take helm at Yahoo

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

If Yahoo gets lucky it will be reduced to RIM's level of predicament by next June.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hope Yahoo! has two years to give her.

• Reply 42 of 105
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

... Yahoo's board is currently the worst thing about that organization.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

...  Yahoo may simply be too messed up for a quick turnaround....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

... The Yahoo board should be bulldozed down and rebuilt.  ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

In other news:  there's still a Yahoo!  Who knew...?

The real problem Yahoo has is highlighted above (the name).  

Only 2oh1 even got it right.  It's an Internet company with the unfortunate name of "Yahoo!" (with the exclamation point).  

You just can't recover from that.  It's a silly name that had some cache (due to it's very silliness), in the mid 90's but has been an albatross ever since.  No one can ever take a place called Yahoo! seriously.  Unfortunately they can't drop the name because by virtue of name recognition and branding, without the name Yahoo is nothing.  On the other hand, as long as they have that name, no one will ever take them seriously unless they morph into a breakfast cereal company or want to dress up like an old prospector for halloween.  

Before anyone mentions it ... yes, "Google" is a pretty silly name also, but they transcended their name within a few months of being on the web.  Google became a verb almost immediately and they are a far larger and more significant entity than Yahoo! and always were.  Google is also a made up word that came from nowhere.  Yahoo has a long history in the English language and *all* of the references it's riding with are quite negative and bad.  

The only meaning or synonym of Yahoo that's even remotely positive are the exclamations, but even then "yahoo" is the most boorish, crude, and redneck kind of exclamation you could possibly utter.  It's also ridiculously old-fashioned in that it's the exclamation of choice if the year was 1945 or 1950.  

yahoonoun

a rude, noisy, or violent person.redneckboorloutoafbarbarianNeanderthalbrutethug; clodroughneck.exclamationYahoo! We won! wahooyippeehoorayhurrahhallelujahbravohot dog,whoopeeyayyee-haw.

• Reply 43 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

The CEO doesn't have the authority to fire the board.

I'd argue in most companies the board of directors is the only way to keep the CEO under control, but Yahoo is in terrible shape and their board has been behind a ton of lousy decisions ever since Jerry Yang came back. Marissa Mayer should consolidate whatever power she can and lead a rout of the BOD and install her own team of supporters. Sad to say, but Yahoo needs to run like a start-up again and their current moribund condition requires a major shock to the system.

• Reply 44 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The real problem Yahoo has is highlighted above (the name).

There's nothing wrong with the name. It has global recognition and is still a very valuable brand. The current associations with the brand could be salvaged by a smart person and perhaps Marissa Mayer is that person... but only if she can overrule the board.

And I see she's already mining her Google contacts:

Quote:

Levinsohn was named interim CEO earlier this year, in the wake of the ousting of Scott Thompson over the appearance of a fake computer science degree on his bio.

Also in question are the members of the team he has put into place at Yahoo and whether they will remain. The most prominent is Levinsohn’s recent hiring of well-regarded advertising exec Michael Barrett — who came to Yahoo from, yes, Google — to run sales.

According to sources, Mayer is already aiming to attract several former and current Googlers to Yahoo to help her turnaround the troubled Silicon Valley company.

Among the names raised is longtime former Googler Ben Ling, who worked closely with her, as well as current Google exec Henrique De Castro, who is president of global media, mobile and platforms there. De Castro has been targeted by Yahoo previously to run global sales.

• Reply 45 of 105
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's nothing wrong with the name. ....

Oh.  Well as long as you say the name is alright I guess it is. :-/  

I don't know why I bothered with such a long involved argument and used references etc., when clearly I was wrong just because you said so.  

:rolleyes:

I should have expected it from someone who quotes Margaret Thatcher (one of the most vicious autocrats of the last century) in her signature. 

• Reply 46 of 105
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    theskivvys wrote: »
    i wonder if marissa's qualifications are legit or she you know, charmed her teachers in certain ways for good grades.

She's a legitimate dork anyway, check out the laugh:

The phrase 'like Elmer Fudd sitting on a juicer' comes to mind.

The thing with executives is you never hear about actual achievements, it's always 'she led the team that did...'. Hiring the right people is a skill in itself, telling people what to do can be a skill but I think the people doing the work should be given the credit for it. She may well have earned her way up the corporate ladder, but dating the CEO (http://gawker.com/152210/editorial-googles-power-couple) can help move things along. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing to promote partners as you need people you can trust but being trustworthy to the owners doesn't put someone higher than the people doing the grunt work.

Larry and Sergey made the achievement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

Marissa certainly increased Larry's PageWank (PageRank is named after him y'see) but her own list is here:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/what-google-lost-when-marissa-mayer-left-to-run-yahoo.php

Not much in there really but then Google products aren't much either. The whole idea is that they are basic things - search results, maps, images, videos, shopping results. Take the core algorithm, get people to manage data centres, hire Marissa to pick a Serif or Sans Serif font and she's important because she made important decisions about a popular product.

I have no doubt she's a smart cookie; after all, the smartest people get everyone else to do the hard work.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/marissa-mayer-googles-chic-geek/0

"Three years ago, The New York Times reported that she asked her team to test 41 shades of blue before settling on a color."
  • Reply 47 of 105
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The only meaning or synonym of Yahoo that's even remotely positive are the exclamations, but even then "yahoo" is the most boorish, crude, and redneck kind of exclamation you could possibly utter.  It's also ridiculously old-fashioned in that it's the exclamation of choice if the year was 1945 or 1950.  

yahoonoun

a rude, noisy, or violent person.redneckboorloutoafbarbarianNeanderthalbrutethug; clodroughneck.exclamationYahoo! We won! wahooyippeehoorayhurrahhallelujahbravohot dog,whoopeeyayyee-haw.

That's a very American-centric observation.

Most Yahoo users aren't native English speakers. You completely forgot the rest of the world.

Also, Yahoo itself originally claimed that the name stood for "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle" (the company's roots are in a web directory, the product now at dir.yahoo.com).

To most people on this planet, Yahoo is just the name of an Internet company. It doesn't mean anything else to them.

But enjoy your narrow-minded worldview. My guess is you've never traveled outside the United States, probably not even outside your state.

• Reply 48 of 105
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    applegreen wrote: »
    "Showing her ankles....?"  Why would you even make a comment like that?  How is that relevant to the discussion about Yahoo's pick for CEO?
    \
    Why do you make so many off-topic comments then complain about the posts being off topic?
  • Reply 49 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Leer? As in I have a malicious intent in noting she's attractive. What a fucking riot you are. If I had any malicious intent it would be directed toward you for acting like an ass.

PS: I said acting like an 'ass' but at no time did I leer at your 'ass.'

PPS: I wonder if she owns a Lear jet. Why? Because that would be sexy. (Now you can claim I'm leering at her wealthist, too).

“When a man uses profanity to support an argument, it indicates that either the man or the argument is weak - probably both”

• Reply 50 of 105
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    But when you're a dick, you're a dick.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    applegreen wrote: »
    <h1 style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;color:rgb(0,51,153);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">“When a man uses profanity to support an argument, it indicates that either the man or the argument is weak - probably both”</h1>

• Reply 52 of 105
    @SolipsismX:

I just wanted to thank you for your forum signature. It's probably one of five or so bboard sig blocks that has actually been useful in the past three years.
  • Reply 53 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

"Showing her ankles....?"  Why would you even make a comment like that?  How is that relevant to the discussion about Yahoo's pick for CEO?  Are you saying that just because her ankles can be seen in the picture, it gives you the right to leer at her?  This is not Saudi Arabia.

Good God, man !!  You are nothing but a classless boor !!

AppleGreen SHOUT UP Please!

• Reply 54 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Solipsism X, I have not see the first video in years and still laugh at those  jokes. Very good reply to AppleGreen, who mind must be working in the 6th dimension, if that exists.

• Reply 55 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    @SolipsismX:
    I just wanted to thank you for your forum signature. It's probably one of five or so bboard sig blocks that has actually been useful in the past three years.

I'm glad it was useful.

souliisoul wrote: »
    Solipsism X, I have not see the first video in years and still laugh at those  jokes. Very good reply to AppleGreen, who mind must be working in the 6th dimension, if that exists.

The funny thing is he thinks comments like "You are nothing but a classless boor !!" somehow makes his argument better and him more classy than using the most effective language to state a point.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    (Shhh, don't take the fun out of this site...)
  • Reply 57 of 105
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

AppleGreen....What's your problem?  If anything SolipsismX's comment was overtly non-sexist.  Don't be such a$$ hole.  Marissa's obviously good looking.  There's nothing wrong with pointing it out.  

Since it appears you insist on having something to bitch about, I'll give you a sexist comment:

As compared to most women she's good looking, but for an engineer, she's smoking hot. 

• Reply 58 of 105
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    i wonder if marissa's qualifications are legit or she you know, charmed her teachers in certain ways for good grades.  We know yahoo has a history for having dodgy CEO's LOL

Dodgy for sure; the guy leaving is taking 7.3M for his 130-day tenure.
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Google is also a made up word that came from nowhere.

From this comes this:
    "ODDEST JOB: Usher at Roger’s Cinema, Wausau, charged with, among other things, telling people to keep their feet off the seats"

That's not OT, is it?
  • Reply 59 of 105
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

“When a man uses profanity to support an argument, it indicates that either the man or the argument is weak - probably both”

You a single female, AppleGreen?

Just curious...

[Deleted User]
  • Reply 60 of 105
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    Fail or succeed she probably has a good 50 million coming her way for the effort.

Not a bad gig.