Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 136
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member

I had the problem. Just reported it to Apple, then went ahead and bought ML for $19.95. Hopefully Apple will give me a credit when they sort this out. If not, no big deal.

• Reply 42 of 136
    edelbrpedelbrp Posts: 24member

I have this problem, but I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.  Still, it is a bit silly to have to decrypt a PDF using a special code to get another special code that gives me a non-sensical response of 'already used' when I try to use it.  Gives me the distinct impression that they guys who wrote the code were trying too hard to impress with the details and didn't adequately implement the fundamentals.

• Reply 43 of 136
    jbaughjbaugh Posts: 28member

I also submitted my request and have not yet received a code. But it has only been a little over a half hour since I submitted the request.  I expected that it would be an almost instantaneous approval process.  Obviously I was wrong. Does anyone know how long it takes Apple to "validate" a free code request?

John

• Reply 44 of 136
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Get used to "This would never have happened under Steve Jobs." Working for The Walt Disney Company, I have years of experience dealing with founder idolization. It'll only get worse and more frequent, but at least you can separate ignorant people from thoughtful people because of it. Always look on the bright side I say.

Yes, but Steve Jobs told his biographer that he specifically wanted Apple to avoid the issues Disney faced as a result of founder idolization (as well as HP with what can best be described as founder anti-idolization). He put together a team that he thought best to run the company and wanted them to run it as they saw fit, and not as he would have run it.

If Jobs were still around, might he have rushed Mountain Lion to release it the same day as the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro? Might he have delayed the two by a month? Would we even have the Retina MacBook Pro yet, because Steve Jobs would have made a last-minute change over Memorial Day weekend to shave 0.5mm from the thickness that set the factory back 2 months? We won't know, nor should we worry about it.

• Reply 45 of 136
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

I also submitted my request and have not yet received a code. But it has only been a little over a half hour since I submitted the request.  I expected that it would be an almost instantaneous approval process.  Obviously I was wrong. Does anyone know how long it takes Apple to "validate" a free code request?

John

I got mine almost instantly, but it was one of the "already used" codes, so my guess is that they are slowing it down to make sure they get it right.

• Reply 46 of 136

4 hours, still no code from Apple yet. Hopefully later this afternoon. Really anxious to get Mountain Lion installed.

I know they must be swamped with replies today. I need to practice patience. 

• Reply 47 of 136
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

John

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryoncole View Post

4 hours, still no code from Apple yet. Hopefully later this afternoon. Really anxious to get Mountain Lion installed.

I know they must be swamped with replies today. I need to practice patience. 

I'm at almost 6 hours.  Still nada.  I'll upgrade as soon as it comes out.  I was really looking forward to wasting my entire day trying out the new OS.  Instead I am wasting my entire day wishing it was here.  :-)

• Reply 48 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Yes, but Steve Jobs told his biographer that he specifically wanted Apple to avoid the issues Disney faced as a result of founder idolization (as well as HP with what can best be described as founder anti-idolization). He put together a team that he thought best to run the company and wanted them to run it as they saw fit, and not as he would have run it.

If Jobs were still around, might he have rushed Mountain Lion to release it the same day as the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro? Might he have delayed the two by a month? Would we even have the Retina MacBook Pro yet, because Steve Jobs would have made a last-minute change over Memorial Day weekend to shave 0.5mm from the thickness that set the factory back 2 months? We won't know, nor should we worry about it.

If I remember correctly, Walt's passing was more sudden and surprising than Steve's. So we don't have any recorded thoughts from Walt on what he thought about founder idolization and how it might affect his company. There are few examples of it in history as well. Steve was right on it though. It's never a good idea to try to act and make decisions like someone else. Even if you fail while being yourself, you fail harder when you fail to be yourself, if that makes sense.

• Reply 49 of 136

I must say, I'm very happy that the comments section of this article doesn't resemble that of macrumors. Many of those commenters I just want to shake by the shoulders and slap in the face to shock them out of their seething impatience.

• Reply 50 of 136

Quote:

I must say, I'm very happy that the comments section of this article doesn't resemble that of macrumors. Many of those commenters I just want to shake by the shoulders and slap in the face to shock them out of their seething impatience.

What's the point of getting furious?  And what possible argument could someone make for acting mad?  "I want it and I want it now!"?

Is it annoying?  Yeah- it's a nuisance, but nothing worth whining about.  I think it should have been handled better- and hopefully they learn from their gaff.  Maybe next time they go ahead and let people start to get their codes a week before the release date, then when they release it, there aren't any problems.  Or even be crazy and reward the new mac owner with getting the OS a day early.  Either way- when asked for feedback, I will let them know.

But seriously... I do want it and I want it now. image

• Reply 51 of 136
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Really? Because I see a fair bit of entitled whining here. I'm not going to MacRumors, though, so I'll take your word that it's worse, since I buy that.

• Reply 52 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Any classic examples to share?

BTW, I like Arn and MR's blog-like reporting but I can't stand the forum. It's like everyone from Digg jumped to MR after the Digg redesign. On the other hand AI has great members. You can have actual conversations here. You can learn things from others. Not just about Apple or tech, but all sorts of subjects. of course, there are exceptions but this is the internet.
  • Reply 53 of 136
    Really? Because I see a fair bit of entitled whining here. I'm not going to MacRumors, though, so I'll take your word that it's worse, since I buy that.
    Interesting point "Pot",

If you want to see entitled whining- go to the safari post. "waah! I want my whittle bitty tabs back"
  • Reply 54 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If you want to see entitled whining- go to the safari post. "waah! I want my whittle bitty tabs back"

Wow, you've issues.

• Reply 55 of 136
    Wow, you've issues.

Just proving a point that what's good for the goose....

You, if anyone, would know about issues.
  • Reply 56 of 136

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You, if anyone, would know about issues.

• Reply 57 of 136

Sadly, I am going to whine as well...Received the pdf email nine and a half hours ago; have not yet received the password to open it. I think I would have rather not yet gotten anything. This is kind of like giving a kid an ice cream in a locked clear freezer and telling him he can have it when you give him the key...then leaving. I keep seeing all the other kids eating their ice cream...I can see mine, but not taste it.

• Reply 58 of 136
    hitherehithere Posts: 3member
    davesmall wrote: »
    I had the problem. Just reported it to Apple, then went ahead and bought ML for $19.95. Hopefully Apple will give me a credit when they sort this out. If not, no big deal.

I did exactly the same thing!

For the benefit of others here, I purchased my rMBP directly from Apple. I applied for the code and got it a few hours laters. It seems to be an over kill to have a password protected PDF... maybe just emailing the code could have worked?
  • Reply 59 of 136
    hitherehithere Posts: 3member
    Sadly, I am going to whine as well...Received the pdf email nine and a half hours ago; have not yet received the password to open it.

For me, two emails arrived at the same time. Same time stamp.
  • Reply 60 of 136
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryoncole View Post

I need to practice patience. 

Put on some Tibetan chants and drink whisky. It worked for me, I'm completely WHERE'S MY EFFING MOUNTAIN LION... Om mani padme hum