Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? Because I see a fair bit of entitled whining here. I'm not going to MacRumors, though, so I'll take your word that it's worse, since I buy that.

The comments here are positively tame compared to the drivel being spewed on other site forums (and even on Apple's forum).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Any classic examples to share?

I was thinking about quoting some here, but I decided against spreading the negativity here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

What's the point of getting furious?  And what possible argument could someone make for acting mad?  "I want it and I want it now!"?

Is it annoying?  Yeah- it's a nuisance, but nothing worth whining about.  I think it should have been handled better- and hopefully they learn from their gaff.  Maybe next time they go ahead and let people start to get their codes a week before the release date, then when they release it, there aren't any problems.  Or even be crazy and reward the new mac owner with getting the OS a day early.  Either way- when asked for feedback, I will let them know.

But seriously... I do want it and I want it now. image

That's my point exactly. I understand everyone reacts in their own way to a situation like this (I haven't received any response to my claim submitted almost 24 hours ago), but you can't do anything about it other than cause yourself and others more grief. Then again, I have a personality type that enjoys anticipation so maybe my biological wiring affords me extra patience.

I've worked customer service before and seen all types. They only have what information the corporate machine feeds them so you can't blame their lack of/inconsistent information. It no longer astounds me that some can't step back, think logically, and have a intelligent, respectful conversation about an issue because, the way the corporate system is set up, it's cheaper to reward total customer asshattery with free gift cards or credits to an account than to pay someone to apologize and talk them into a rational state of mind. Just one of the many reasons why 'entitlement' has become a dirty word.

• Reply 82 of 136
    krawallkrawall Posts: 163member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Having thoughts of re-submitting but I will be patient and leave it until later tonight or first thing in the morning again before I decide what to do.

You can't... I tried that (as I wasn't sure if I entered my details correctly) and it just told me that this serial # has been claimed already...

• Reply 83 of 136
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    22 hours- also got the ad... Saw an apple email, got excited, ten saw they wanted to let me know mountain lion was ready. Lol
  • Reply 84 of 136
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

It would help if Apple sent email acknowledging the screw up and offering information on when Apple intends to deal with it. Spamming people with ads describing an update that is unavailable does not help. Mistakes happen, but not dealing with the mistake in a timely and transparent manner erodes confidence in the brand.

• Reply 85 of 136

24 hours ago received first email with PDF...still no email with password. In the meantime, have gotten 2 emails advertising that Mountain Lion is available and that I should get mine now, and 1 email stating that I qualify for a free copy. 12 hours in, a return call from Apple Care said that I should receive the password "any minute now, my friend" (insert your own Indian accent). I would not care if I were not supporting a large BYOD staff, many of whom have already downloaded and installed ML and are already calling with questions. Yes, I am griping, but at this point I think the reasons are more than legitimate.

• Reply 86 of 136
    acknightacknight Posts: 26member

Quote:

22 hours- also got the ad... Saw an apple email, got excited, ten saw they wanted to let me know mountain lion was ready. Lol

Been almost 24 hours, got the ad, still no email (or even a confirmation email about the request!).

Do find it odd that when reporting an online order they don't right then ask for the order number - or at least it didn't for me. 

• Reply 87 of 136
    Agree, 23 hours and nada. Was going to visit the store today but after reading all of this I guess I'll just stand pat and see what happens. Wish they would acknowledge receipt. I have no proof I've complied with their 30 day window. Of course it IS just twenty bucks. Principle, though.
  • Reply 88 of 136
    25 hours and still no acknowledgement. SUCKS!!!
  • Reply 89 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

IT'S THE FIRST DAY. You aren't going to die if you can't get Mountain Lion right now. There's no bonus for having it on the first day. 

Chill out. 

Now it's the second day.  Should we still chill out.  I eagerly wait your response so I'll know what to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? Because I see a fair bit of entitled whining here. I'm not going to MacRumors, though, so I'll take your word that it's worse, since I buy that.

Please let us know when it is ok to whine.

• Reply 90 of 136
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Please let us know when it is ok to whine.

If you don't know, perhaps you oughtn't at all until you do?

• Reply 91 of 136

Oh, this just gets better and better.

I was one of the ones who got an already redeemed code yesterday.I've been patiently waiting for Apple to fix it, and they just sent me new codes.

So I go to redeem the code, and I get a notification that I cannot download the software as it requires OS 10.8. What?!? The redeem code was for OS X *Server*. Not Mountain Lion, but OS X Server.

I wonder what their explanation for this is. I think that they're pretty panicked back at iTunes fulfillment and people are making sloppy mistakes. :(

• Reply 92 of 136

Just received another code from Apple and now I'm getting a different error! Jesus H.

Email to Apple support:

Now I'm having another issue trying to redeem my up-to-date Mountain Lion code that I just received. When I entered the code, I got a message that said "OS X Server requires OSX v10.8. Go to Purchase tab for more info." So, if I go to my purchases tab,  I see "OS X Server" with todays date under purchase date. I didn't apply for nor want the server software. I want Mountain Lion on my new iMac!

• Reply 93 of 136

Make that three of us...LOL...I just got off the phone with Apple Care is completely confused as to how this could have happened...

• Reply 94 of 136

26 hours later for me and still no code.  Have received other things from Apple like a receipt for an iTunes purchase.

• Reply 95 of 136
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooper4711 View Post

Oh, this just gets better and better.

I was one of the ones who got an already redeemed code yesterday.I've been patiently waiting for Apple to fix it, and they just sent me new codes.

So I go to redeem the code, and I get a notification that I cannot download the software as it requires OS 10.8. What?!? The redeem code was for OS X *Server*. Not Mountain Lion, but OS X Server.

I wonder what their explanation for this is. I think that they're pretty panicked back at iTunes fulfillment and people are making sloppy mistakes. :(

That's too bad. This up-to-date program is turning into a nightmare. By and large, the servers have been good and able to handle the load, which just makes the up-to-date debacle stand out evern more.

• Reply 96 of 136

Was just sent a 3rd code and it works!

• Reply 97 of 136

Everyone needs to realize that this isn't happening to 99.99% of the people who did the up-to-date upgrade.

Oh yeah... except only 1 person has gotten a code that works and there are dozens that don't.  That's just from those who are posting.

Maybe by tomorrow, or Monday of next week we'll be allowed to whine- then we won't be viewed as impatient or entitled.

Edit: 2 people

• Reply 98 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tmoore44 wrote: »
    Was just sent a 3rd code and it works!

At this point someone should start one of those Tumblr sites where people can post all their failed codes.
  • Reply 99 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Everyone needs to realize that this isn't happening to 99.99% of the people who did the up-to-date upgrade.

Oh yeah... except only 1 person has gotten a code that works and there are dozens that don't.  That's just from those who are posting.

Maybe by tomorrow, or Monday of next week we'll be allowed to whine- then we won't be viewed as impatient or entitled.

Edit: 2 people

Are we sure of the 0.01%? How many codes do you think have been distributed? How many people have been effected? The internet magnifying any issue, especially when it comes to Apple, but this isn't my first rodeo and by all appearances this seems like it's affecting more than just a few hundred users.
  • Reply 100 of 136

It seems the two people who have received actual working codes actually received bad codes first.  So it seems those are being resolved before people who never got e-mailed (like me).