Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are we sure of the 0.01%? How many codes do you think have been distributed? How many people have been effected? The internet magnifying any issue, especially when it comes to Apple, but this isn't my first rodeo and by all appearances this seems like it's affecting more than just a few hundred users.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. I don't care how many servers you have or how much money you have, this kind of load is very difficult to deal with. There will be isolated errors. With millions of people downloading the software, even 99.99% success means hundreds of people having problems.

I was being facetious with all the usual suspect a-hole posters (Tallest Skill, Jrag, and Char), but that proved my earlier sarcastic point.  :-)

• Reply 102 of 136
    ...and me. 27 hours now. Sent an email 3 hours ago to [email protected] but no response...
  • Reply 103 of 136

Been over 24 hours for me with no code in my email yet.

Guess I don't need it anymore. The DMG I torrented is perfect. 

• Reply 104 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Been over 24 hours for me with no code in my email yet.

Guess I don't need it anymore. The DMG I torrented is perfect. 

I considered doing it- but I'm unsure how the upgrade process will work now that it goes to the App store.  It won't show up as purchased, so when 10.8.1 is released, if you have to torrent again- it will be a beating.  I can wait- I dont need it that bad, but it has gone from annoying to very annoying.  Another 24 hours and I'll update the annoying status to yellow.

• Reply 105 of 136

its been almost a day and i still haven't received my redemption code for mountain lion. is anyone else experiencing this?

• Reply 106 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by markboston View Post

its been almost a day and i still haven't received my redemption code for mountain lion. is anyone else experiencing this?

Read the 30 posts ahead of you.  ;-)

• Reply 107 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by markboston View Post

Same here.

• Reply 108 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    I considered doing it- but I'm unsure how the upgrade process will work now that it goes to the App store.  It won't show up as purchased, so when 10.8.1 is released, if you have to torrent again- it will be a beating.  I can wait- I dont need it that bad, but it has gone from annoying to very annoying.  Another 24 hours and I'll update the annoying status to yellow.

The likelihood of having to torrent again are slim because of the way Apple has been issuing updates. Since there is no authentication code for Mac OS X it will just update to 10.8.1 if you're running 10.8.0.

Even in the betas of ML all the updates came from Software Update. Makes sense, but from most of Lion and all previous versions of OS X you had grab the latest betas from their developer site.

That said, I don't encourage not spending the $20 for the download but I also don't care how others obtain it either.
  • Reply 109 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I've already received an official update from my torrented copy.

• Reply 110 of 136
    acknightacknight Posts: 26member

I called 1-800-MY-APPLE and they were able to confirm my request and look everything up - the agent I spoke with (in technical support) indicated that they're working on a 48-72 hour turnaround.

• Reply 111 of 136
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

I've already received an official update from my torrented copy.

Update to what?

• Reply 112 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Update to what?

It was a firmware update.

I'm just saying that it doesn't need to be purchased from the App Store to receive updates since there's no verification / activation process for the OS

• Reply 113 of 136

It was a firmware update.

Then that's based on the computer, not the software. Nothing to do with Mountain Lion. Just you wait until 10.8.1; I imagine you'll need to buy it.

• Reply 114 of 136

I love the way you guys are bitchin bout having received invalid codes. I'm waiting now 48 hours and havent received a damn thing from apple....I put a gold master version on my machine because of the frustration..and now have to redo the whole thing due to apple....whats up with that....bet they dont have anything for a week....watch...

• Reply 115 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by abacus01 View Post

I love the way you guys are bitchin bout having received invalid codes. I'm waiting now 48 hours and havent received a damn thing from apple....I put a gold master version on my machine because of the frustration..and now have to redo the whole thing due to apple....whats up with that....bet they dont have anything for a week....watch...

I'm in the same boat.  But I dont see how its any different to complain about an invalid code instead of no email.  Neither group can run Mountain Lion.  I havent gotten any email from Apple either- 48 hours as well.  I wouldnt be surprised if it was Monday or Tuesday by the time I finally get a valid code either.

• Reply 116 of 136

Submitted early Wednesday morning and still haven't gotten anything back yet.  Instead of Up To Date, Apple should call the program Two Days Late.  Too bad they can't just send the update in the mail.  

Oh well, it's good for this kind of thing to happen once in a while so that I can remind myself why I try never to prepay for anything - you end up being low priority.  Congratulations, Apple.  You made me your bitch for $20.  

• Reply 117 of 136

Originally Posted by abacus01 View Post

..bet they dont have anything for a week....watch...

Considering I can download Mountain Lion at will right now, that's not the case.

• Reply 118 of 136
    acknightacknight Posts: 26member

For what it's worth, my request (Wednesday morning, shortly after the form went live) turned into a valid, no problems code late yesterday evening. Seems like they're starting to get caught up.

• Reply 119 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Considering I can download Mountain Lion at will right now, that's not the case.

Do you even realize how big of a clown you are sometimes?

As if he meant actually downloading it from the App store and not up-to-date (which is what this thread is).

• Reply 120 of 136

My first PDF but no Password turned 30 hours later into a valid PDF and Password for...OS X Server...called...was told that couldn't happen...was told that the Up-to-date department was "very quickly fixing the issues" and that I should call them back if I didn't have a valid code in 24 hours. I then received another PDF/Password 2 hours later. It worked...finally.