Samsung smartphone shipments estimated at 52M, doubling Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 204
    markbyrn wrote: »
    BTW AI, have you thought about doing some investigative journalism on these fantastical claims by Samsung/Google?  I work at a major airport in Florida and when running a simple network scan on the free Wi-Fi service, it invariably shows about 90% connections from Apple devices vice anything else.  Where are all these Android phones hiding?
    That's easy, Android owners don't travel, they are too busy at home tweaking their phones!
  • Reply 62 of 204
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Excellent post.

Don't post the word 'fanboy' or 'isheep' again. We've rules against that.

• Reply 63 of 204
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Good for Samsung. Really.

Apple could sell more phones if they did not demand high margins on their product.

Apple could also sell more if they had more models/styles for different customers.

Samsung is doing the right thing.

BTW, I own an iPhone, as do many of my family members.

Apple will probably have a small market share internationally, eventually, due to what they charge carriers and customers for their phones.

• Reply 64 of 204
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Apple could sell more phones if they did not demand high margins on their product.

Samsung has identical and higher margins, as well as lower.

• Reply 65 of 204

Quote:

Excellent post.

It seems many fanbois simply can't possibly accept the fact that some people are happy to buy a Samsung phone over an iPhone and will use any excuse to try and discredit the figures.

I know! Things are degenrating so fast, it looks like Twilight's Team Edward vs. Team Jacob board already! Or maybe Team Aniston vs. Team Jolie.

• Reply 66 of 204

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Good for Samsung. Really.

Apple could also sell more if they had more models/styles for different customers.

Samsung is doing the right thing.

BTW, I own an iPhone, as do many of my family members.

Apple will probably have a small market share internationally, eventually, due to what they charge carriers and customers for their phones.

How much do you think Galaxt S3 coming six months ahead of iPhone 5 might hurt Apple later?

All I know was one year head start cannot be overcome within that generation. Just ask PlayStation 3. But how about half of that time span?

• Reply 67 of 204
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member

It's funny; here in Switzerland carriers are giving away Samsung phones for free when you buy an iPhone.  That's right.  for every iPhone sold, you get a free Samsung smartphone.  OK, that's shipped, but not sold!

• Reply 68 of 204
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

BTW AI, have you thought about doing some investigative journalism on these fantastical claims by Samsung/Google?  I work at a major airport in Florida and when running a simple network scan on the free Wi-Fi service, it invariably shows about 90% connections from Apple devices vice anything else.  Where are all these Android phones hiding?

Have you ever considered that unlike the iPhone, Android phones have had LTE capabilities for some time? Maybe Android users are simply using their superior 4G connection instead of crappy public Wi-Fi? I typically get download speeds of 10+Mbps with LTE...I doubt any airport Wi-Fi even comes close.

Also, your comment is a good reminder that anyone can scan a public Wi-Fi network, and to avoid them when possible :) I wonder if your employer knows you are running network scans?

• Reply 69 of 204
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member

It's funny; here in Switzerland carriers are giving away Samsung phones for free when you buy an iPhone.  That's right, for every iPhone sold, Samsung "ships" a smartphone.  OK, that's shipped vs sold!

• Reply 70 of 204
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

BS - I will post whatever the F*** I want. Who the hell do you think you are anyway.

How very rude of me. I could have put that better. I still don't agree with you but let's move on shall we.

• Reply 71 of 204
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

I think you should add troll to your ban list. It's often used to mean 'person who disagrees with me'.

• Reply 72 of 204
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Europe, Asia, Oceana.  I get the impression Samsung is far more prominent in markets outside the US than within

At the airport I work at, there's a ton of visitors from Europe and South America - I'd think all the legions of Android users from outside the USA would want to use that free airport Wi-Fi, eh?  I guess like somebody mentioned, maybe the Android users don't use airplanes and take a bus instead.  

• Reply 73 of 204

Quote:

Samsung has identical and higher margins, as well as lower.

So can they get youngsters with cheap Galaxy Pocket/Mini today to trade up to Galaxy S3 or maybe medium-sized Ace in the next two years? If they can, they might be ready to face Apple on more equal footings.

I believe Mac mini came out for the same reason; entry level Mac for existing PC owners so they can trade up to iMac later on. Didn't work quite as planned though.

• Reply 74 of 204
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

an empire built on the back of copying apple designs… nice way to turn a profit, eh? only one piece of evidence required. Samsung mobile phone handset designs, before and after iPhone...

some would call it simple 'competition', I see it more like outright theft...

here's hoping some of the design infringement court cases fall apple's way. 

• Reply 75 of 204

Quote:

BS - I'll post whatever the f*** I want. Who the hell do you think you are anyway. 

A hatchet man perhaps. IDG hires scores of them. Go take a look.

• Reply 75 of 204
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Err AI, shipments versus sold?  Apples to Oranges?  At any rate, other than seeing tech pundits like Leo Laporte shilling for the Galaxy S III, I've only seen one in the wild.  Where's the hordes of crowds who bought and carry it around?  

This line is starting to sound pretty pathetic.

• Reply 77 of 204

Quote:

At the airport I work at, there's a ton of visitors from Europe and South America - I'd think all the legions of Android users from outside the USA would want to use that free airport Wi-Fi, eh?  I guess like somebody mentioned, maybe the Android users don't use airplanes and take a bus instead.  

Don't they have to buy Wi-Fi account first. They don't sell that in arrival hall. I think they would pull out their Android when they left the airport and in town, where Wi-Fi are either cheaper for free.

• Reply 78 of 204
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

Quote:

That is easy. I never connect to free Wi-Fi for two very simple reasons.

1. My LTE is faster than most free Wi-Fi.

2. I know there are people like you that "Scan" free Wi-Fi.

The only time I connect to any Wi-Fi is at home or office. I don't even bother connecting to friend's Wi-Fi because I don't need to connect; LTE is more than fast enough for video steaming, games, and browsing.
  • Reply 79 of 204
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

So 10 million shipments of their top-end, flagship phone, and 40+ million of their "other" stuff, ranging from the good, the bad, to the downright ugly, at all price points.  Shipped? Sold?

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/all-products

When I figure out why and how to be impressed about this (market flooding) I'll let you guys know. 

• Reply 80 of 204
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Don't they have to buy Wi-Fi account first. They don't sell that in arrival hall. I think they would pull out their Android when they left the airport and in town, where Wi-Fi are either cheaper for free.

No, there's no sign-up involved - it's free Wi-Fi