Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 101 of 184
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Kudos on a well researched and written article!

Ditto, Dan.

An article to be proud of.

• Reply 102 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I don't mind a little bit of Apple spin ladled on, but this one has a bucket poured over it.

DED is such a tool.

I don't mind reading a little constructive criticism, but you sound like you have some kind of vendetta.

. . . 

• Reply 103 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziteke View Post

I did my research and I agree that Google did indeed have vector based maps on Android devices back in Dec 2010, so the writer is biased. I think the writer should have focused more on the free seamless transition to Apple's maps and the HUGE loss to revenue to Google. For example, for you to experience the vector based maps on Android you need to have the right hardware/software combo, this is less of an issue when it comes to Apple. Also most mobile based traffic (web included) comes from Apple devices

I'll take your word for it, but what use are vector maps if they don't perform well?

Agree with you that there is a deeper and more interesting story here that needs to be explored.

• Reply 104 of 184
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I see. At least on my IP4 and iPad, you can pinch to zoom in or out without leaving compass mode. If you do leave compass mode, you have to tap the location button twice to get back, and the first tap puts you into location mode, which is why it takes you back down to city level. However, I agree that it would be nice to enable location+compass without changing zoom level.

Zooming in while in compass mode seems fine (if you're careful with the correct pinching technique). Zooming out is another story. I can do it if I'm REALLY careful with making sure it's a pinch and not touch (this is also annoying) but when you try zooming out to say state/province level watch what happens. Maps will eventually read it as a touch not pinch and boom you've lost your compass orientation. It definitely needs work. 

Example: I'm heading east in compass mode. I zoom out because I want to see my direction in relation to the state/province. Eventually with enough zoom out pinches you'll lose the compass and since you have now disabled the compass, the map arbitrarily rotates about 45 degrees. Then you click back to get the compass. Now you have lost your zoom level and have to start all over again only to encounter the same problem. This is not a very good compass / maps combo.

If you mostly use the compass in your home town you might never notice since you wouldn't need to zoom out so often. However, I'm living in Japan and zoom out all the time to get my bearings. It's a very sloppy implementation IMHO.

• Reply 105 of 184
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    success wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »
    I see. At least on my IP4 and iPad, you can pinch to zoom in or out without leaving compass mode. If you do leave compass mode, you have to tap the location button twice to get back, and the first tap puts you into location mode, which is why it takes you back down to city level. However, I agree that it would be nice to enable location+compass without changing zoom level.
    Zooming in while in compass mode seems fine (if you're careful with the correct pinching technique). Zooming out is another story. I can do it if I'm REALLY careful with making sure it's a pinch and not touch (this is also annoying) but when you try zooming out to say state/province level watch what happens. Maps will eventually read it as a touch not pinch and boom you've lost your compass orientation. It definitely needs work. 

Example: I'm heading east in compass mode. I zoom out because I want to see my direction in relation to the state/province. Eventually with enough zoom out pinches you'll lose the compass and since you have now disabled the compass, the map arbitrarily rotates about 45 degrees. Then you click back to get the compass. Now you have lost your zoom level and have to start all over again only to encounter the same problem. This is not a very good compass / maps combo.

No - I agree - you have to be careful zooming and this could be improved. I guess the problem is that compass mode requires location mode and the software intentionally disengages location mode if it thinks you are trying to recenter the map.
  • Reply 106 of 184

Quote:

No - I agree - you have to be careful zooming and this could be improved. I guess the problem is that compass mode requires location mode and the software intentionally disengages location mode if it thinks you are trying to recenter the map.

What do you think the location confirmation window? I turn it off which already requires quite a precise click. Not like you can hit it by mistake. You still get a confirmation window to turn it off. I feel like chewing my phone whenever this pops up. 

Of course I want it off. I clicked the settings icon and the location service menu to get there in the first place!  lol

• Reply 107 of 184
    What do you think the location confirmation window? I turn it off which already requires quite a precise click. Not like you can hit it by mistake. You still get a confirmation window to turn it off. I feel like chewing my phone whenever this pops up. 

Of course I want it off. I clicked the settings icon and the location service menu to get there in the first place!  lol

Not sure what you are referring to there. Which window is that?
  • Reply 108 of 184
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

Seriously, they just could have renamed this article "Yet another boring reason why we find Apple superior".

They dismiss the lack of Streetview and only mention in briefly, but write a (way too long!) article about these vector graphics.

Come on! It's time they start writing a neutral post, or bash Apple on a specific subject. That would be so refreshing.

• Reply 109 of 184
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

Nice that they have 3D model support in their backyard, but what about the rest of the world?

It seems to kinda suck not having streetview and no alternative. 

And shit... look here! I just enabled the 'vector layer' in Google Maps!

This article is a piece of shit!

• Reply 110 of 184
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

While vector graphics are an advantage over bitmaps, however, most users use the satellite image view, because it lets you identify areas more clearly. So, I'm sorry to say this, but if you want to sell a maps tool, make your marketing over satellite images, not maps, because you won't convince anybody with maps no matter if they're vector or bitmaps.

Also, streetview is no longer a "cool" feature, but a must-have one. Many architects, engineers, and artists, use streetview for their work, letting them add quick previews of an area before visiting it. So, any professional who is currently using streetview, needs it as a must-have feature.

I'm not sure how Apple could add streetview, considering the legal issues Google had when doing it (some countries didn't allow Google to do streetview on their territory).

ecs

• Reply 111 of 184

Quote:

You know, you go to settings - > location settings - > off and you're presented with a confirmation window to turn off location settings. "iPhone Search needs Location Settings. If you turn it off you won't be able to use this service. Are you sure you want to turn it off blah blah blah". Very annoying. I think it's obvious you want to turn location settings off if you have already entered the settings app and then the location settings menu. OSX usually gives you the ability to turn on/off confirmation dialogues, but I guess iOS doesn't. 

• Reply 112 of 184
    waverunnrwaverunnr Posts: 120member

It's interesting that Apple partnered with TomTom for turn-by-turn directions.  With the cash in their war chest, and since their last mapping partnership didn't quite work out, they could just bought them outright.

• Reply 113 of 184

Nice, what a comprehensive article!

Apple's new vector maps look absolutely amazing. The ability to cache large areas of the map for offline use are a great innovation too. Wonder how long it will take for Google and Android to catch up and ditch their old, busted bitmapped maps. This next generation of maps is going to be fantastic.

• Reply 114 of 184
    You know, you go to settings - > location settings - > off and you're presented with a confirmation window to turn off location settings. "iPhone Search needs Location Settings. If you turn it off you won't be able to use this service. Are you sure you want to turn it off blah blah blah". Very annoying. I think it's obvious you want to turn location settings off if you have already entered the settings app and then the location settings menu. OSX usually gives you the ability to turn on/off confirmation dialogues, but I guess iOS doesn't. 

OK. I've not had any reason to turn off location services, so I had not seen that.
  • Reply 115 of 184
    purpledorm wrote: »
    Nice, what a comprehensive article!

Apple's new vector maps look absolutely amazing. The ability to cache large areas of the map for offline use are a great innovation too. Wonder how long it will take for Google and Android to catch up and ditch their old, busted bitmapped maps. This next generation of maps is going to be fantastic.

You obviously didn't read any of the other comments.
  • Reply 116 of 184

Quote:

I think I detect a hint of sarcasm in purpledorm's post ;)

• Reply 117 of 184

I think I detect a hint of sarcasm in purpledorm's post ;)

I did wonder about that too, but in the context of the discussion it didn't seem quite enough of a hint.
  • Reply 118 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I guess you missed the part where I said I am a former Android user and now happily own an iPhone 4S. I am not a fandroid by any stretch of the imagination. So calm down DED, take a deep breath and relax. You really don't handle constructive criticism very well. And why even pick my post to assault? There were a dozen more posts far more detailed and critical.

Stick to the issues, like DED does; personalities don't tend to contribute anything but (negative) emotion to the discussion and are not helpful. This is key to enjoying blog sites like AI.

By way of comparison, and to explain the point being made here, count the number of uses of the word "I", "you", "my" in all posts by the author and by others responding critically to the article.

A lot of "contributors" here purporting to "portray the facts" and "uncover lies" are simply trolling professionally with a few half-truths and plenty of insults; others are trying to set the record straight and stick to the science, pushing the envelope of readers' knowledge with cool facts. The latter educate and enlighten, the former simply muddy the waters and reduce everything to a pi**ing contest of schoolboys, provoking flame wars.

A lot has been revealed here about mapping technology, both by this article and many of the constructive rejoinders written by people who are knowledgeable about and/or involved in Mapping - that's what the topic is about, not whether one is a returning Android, iOS or Windows Phone user, facts that are totally unhelpful to the issue under discussion. 

• Reply 119 of 184

Quote:

Nope, I didn't! There were so many words and pictures in the article, and reading all the comments is just too much work. What did I say that was wrong?

The article argues that vector maps are far superior to bitmaps, which I find hard to disagree with. Just look at the screenshots comparing the ugly zoomed in pixels from the current iOS maps against the vector app. It goes on to say that Apple is working on maps using this brand new technology and that Google is also working on it too but will struggle to catch up.

• Reply 120 of 184
    purpledorm wrote: »

Nope, I didn't! There were so many words and pictures in the article, and reading all the comments is just too much work. What did I say that was wrong?

The article argues that vector maps are far superior to bitmaps, which I find hard to disagree with. Just look at the screenshots comparing the ugly zoomed in pixels from the current iOS maps against the vector app. It goes on to say that Apple is working on maps using this brand new technology and that Google is also working on it too but will struggle to catch up.

A lot of posters pointed out that Google already has that kind of mapping (vector/GIS - whatever the correct description is), and that the limitations described only apply to the implementation in iOS. The article did not make that clear at all.