Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 141 of 184
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,586member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. Because GOOGLE IS A WORTHLESS WHORE.

You won't move to Android. And there'll be a third-party (worse) Google Maps app.

Of course it will be handicapped since it will have to use Apple mapping API's won't it?

• Reply 142 of 184
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

I would like to voice clarifications about the misconceptions that some are offering about Apple Maps:

Mapping and navigation is not a core competency of Google.  Mapping and navigation is an acquired competency of Google much like mapping and navigation is an acquired competency of Apple.  For example, In October 2004, Google acquired Where2 Technologies which became the basis for Google Maps.  

Apple Maps is already more than competitive with Google Maps for iOS:

Apple Maps search is superior due to a scrollable list of recent searches and auto complete options based on previous destinations (Google Maps for iOS does offer this option). 

The "garish" colors of Apple Maps provides immediate recognition of points of interest.  For example, for "Standard" maps parks are lighter green while golf courses are darker green to allow users to quickly and easily distinguish the two different types of destinations.  Road direction arrows are offered in light blue rather than a barely visible gray, to provide another example.

Apple Maps provides a clean, concise view of geographic data rather than offering every possible street name at many view levels.  For example, Apple Maps offers district names in San Francisco with major street names.  Upon zooming in for further detail more information (street names, points of interest) are offered as appropriate.  This is important because most people in San Francisco refer to districts (much like New York City) rather than street cross sections.

Location names and street names in Google Maps for iOS are highly pixelated and difficult to read.  

Google Maps for iOS flashes the traffic data every few seconds in some destinations making the solution untenable for many users.  Furthermore, in highly congested regions that traffic data is unhelpful due to a lack of filtering.  For example, San Francisco traffic is nearly always congested so providing yellow and red traffic indicators on every single street is not helpful in the least.  A much better option is to demonstrate major delays in such a region as Apple Maps appears to do.

Apple Maps (apparently sponsored) locations appear as another point of interest rather than assuming the advertised location is your destination and overwhelm the mapped area if there only a few advertisers while sponsored links as Google Maps for iOS sponsored links (advertisers).

Apple Maps already has more business listings than Google.  I should add that business listings are readily added via the Apple Maps user interface as well.  The difference is that businesses don't overwhelm the Apple Maps app as in Google Maps for iOS.  Apple Maps has many, many business listings but Apple Maps isn't an advertising platform which is the major philosophical difference between the two platforms.

Apple Maps provides a platform for developers to offer transit directions.  If Google proponents were honest with themselves they would prefer this approach as this is a more "open" approach which they often proclaim to support.

Apple Maps provides excellent alternatives to Google Street View.  Specifically, Yelp imagery is available directly from within the Apple Maps app and photos may also be added within the Apple Maps app link to Yelp as well.  This is in addition to 3D Flyover views.

Apple Maps provides a feature to add or correct information within the Apple Maps app.  Providing an externally available feature is not a good idea as Google has previously been caught defacing competing mapping company data.

Many of the preceding posts are made by individuals who are clearly dishonest and apparently support any competition to Apple products and services.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 143 of 184

A well researched article in terms of iOS maps, but a poor ancient information regarding Google Maps.. well, we all know better of what we like and use. Seems like the don't like using Google Maps

• Reply 144 of 184
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 448member

Ah, the BETA argument. Will Apple Maps be indefinitly BETA as Siri is?

• Reply 145 of 184
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    blitz1 wrote: »

Who knows, but iOS 6 hasn't even been released yet.
  • Reply 146 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blitz1 wrote: »

It won't be. Siri needed to be Beta because the only way to make a system like Siri is to get contextual data over a very long period of time. Apple knows how to make a Map software, has their own mapping software to add, and is licensing from Tom Tom. That said, I don't see how it will be as good as the current Maps app in usefulness and except Google to have an App Store app within the next couple of months.
  • Reply 147 of 184

I am willing to place a $100 bet that Siri will not surpass Google's record-breaking Beta of 1,923 days or 5 years, 3 months and 6 days.  I would consider Beta release on April Fool's Day appropriate in this instance especially since the service is adware.

Furthermore, Apple Maps is arguably already superior to Google Maps for iOS despite the Beta designation.

• Reply 148 of 184
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jume wrote: »
    I think we will all miss Google maps in iOS6...

Before you choose to speak for other people, you might want to ask their opinion.

Personally, I'll be happy to get rid of Google Maps. Google has no respect for intellectual property or privacy and I have no desire to support them.
  • Reply 149 of 184
    <p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(24,24,24);"><span style="letter-spacing:0px;">I am willing to place a $100 bet that Siri will not surpass Google's record-breaking Beta of 1,923 days or 5 years, 3 months and 6 days.</span>
    <span style="letter-spacing:0px;color:#323333;">  I would consider Beta release on April Fool's Day appropriate in this instance especially since the service is adware.</span>
    </p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(24,24,24);"><span style="letter-spacing:0px;"> </span>
    </p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(50,51,51);"><span style="letter-spacing:0px;">Furthermore, Apple Maps is arguably already superior to Google Maps for iOS despite the Beta designation.</span>
    </p>

Was that a beta for their Maps software or for their GOOG-411 service? I would doubt that Siri would need to be Beta for that long as GOOG-411 was in use because I'm sure Siri gets used a lot more than Google's voice search system.

I'd argue that Google Maps in iOS 5 is better at this stage. There are some nice aspects to Maps in iOS 6 but the lack of Street View is a huge hit for me. The 3D rendering is simply something I can't find a use for, even if it was available in my area, which it's not.
  • Reply 150 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Was that a beta for their Maps software or for their GOOG-411 service? I would doubt that Siri would need to be Beta for that long as GOOG-411 was in use because I'm sure Siri gets used a lot more than Google's voice search system.

I'd argue that Google Maps in iOS 5 is better at this stage. There are some nice aspects to Maps in iOS 6 but the lack of Street View is a huge hit for me. The 3D rendering is simply something I can't find a use for, even if it was available in my area, which it's not.

Gmail was in Beta for 1,923 days or 5 years, 3 months and 6 days which ended July 7, 2009.  Truly astonishing considering web enabled email was a commodity by that time (Yahoo! Mail was launched on October 8, 1997 and Microsoft Hotmail was launched on July 4, 1996).  I can only assume that Google needed that length of time to properly commoditize their products (users) to their customers (advertisers) through data mining techniques.  Of course, Google may have been concerned that their weak architecture and infrastructure was problematic which, if true, was proved correct during the launch year.

I will emphasize that my original statement was "Apple Maps is arguably already superior to Google Maps for iOS despite the Beta designation."  While the loss of Google Street View may impact some users, I have never seen Google Street View user base numbers or user satisfaction data.  Yelp integration is a partial replacement as well although I might like to see Apple Maps automatically show an image of the storefront upon arrival at the destination.  The addition of speech recognition integration with spoken turn-by-turn dynamic routing navigation is inarguably a massive advantage for iOS 6.  

You argue that 3D Flyover isn't available in your area but many could argue that Google Street View isn't available in their area.  Photos may be quickly and easily added to Apple Maps via Yelp integration which is not possible via Google Street View (not exceptionally bright considering the necessary maintenance required).  Apple could even enable the (known but hidden) panoramic view in Camera and allow users to capture their own street level views.  Apple could quickly and easily purchase a company or build their own architecture and infrastructure for street level views supplied by users.  While I can't speak for Apple, I am certain there are significant privacy concerns especially considering the trouble Google has already seen with Street View.

Of course, those considerations are in addition to the vast improvements and refinements in clarity and concision of the maps as well as the larger number of business listings in Apple Maps.

• Reply 151 of 184

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;color:rgb(24,24,24);"> </p>

[SIZE=12px]<span style="letter-spacing:0px;color:#000000;">Gmail was in Beta for 1,923 days or 5 years, 3 months and 6 days which ended July 7, 2009.</span>
    <span style="letter-spacing:0px;">  Truly astonishing considering web enabled email was a commodity by that time (Yahoo! Mail was launched on October 8, 1997 and Microsoft Hotmail was launched on July 4, 1996).  I can only assume that Google needed that length of time to properly commoditize their products (users) to their customers (advertisers) through data mining techniques.  Of course, Google may have been concerned that their weak architecture and infrastructure was problematic which, if true, was proved correct during the launch year.</span>
    [/SIZE]
    <p style="font-size:12px;min-height:14px;"> </p>

[SIZE=12px]<span style="letter-spacing:0px;color:#181818;">I will emphasize that my original statement was "</span>
    <span style="letter-spacing:0px;">Apple Maps is arguably already superior to Google Maps for iOS despite the Beta designation."  While the loss of Google Street View may impact some users, I have never seen Google Street View user base numbers or user satisfaction data.  Yelp integration is a partial replacement as well although I might like to see Apple Maps automatically show an image of the storefront upon arrival at the destination.  The addition of speech recognition integration with spoken turn-by-turn dynamic routing navigation is inarguably a massive advantage for iOS 6.  </span>
    [/SIZE]

<span style="font-size:12px;letter-spacing:0px;">You argue that 3D Flyover isn't available in your area but many could argue that Google Street View isn't available in their area.  Photos may be quickly and easily added to Apple Maps via Yelp integration which is not possible via Google Street View (not exceptionally bright considering the necessary </span>
    <span style="line-height:14px;">maintenance required)</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;letter-spacing:0px;">.  Apple could even enable the (known but hidden) panoramic view in Camera and allow users to capture their own street level views.  Apple could quickly and easily purchase a company or build their own architecture and infrastructure for street level views supplied by users.  While I can't speak for Apple, I am certain there are significant privacy concerns especially considering the trouble Google has already seen with Street View.</span>

[SIZE=12px]<span style="letter-spacing:0px;">Of course, those considerations are in addition to the vast improvements and refinements in clarity and concision of the maps as well as the larger number of business listings in Apple Maps.</span>
    [/SIZE] 

Google Street View was in a lot more areas than Flyover. It's also not a Street View replacement. In no way should it compared as having the usage. As for Yelp showing an image and for Maps to show an image of a storefront when you arrive that is pretty useless. The great thing about Street View is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or to get info without going there. It'll be a sorely missed.

PS: Why is there so much span styling in your replying? Taking longer to clean up certain posters replying instead of replying is very discouraging.
  • Reply 152 of 184
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Google Street View was in a lot more areas than Flyover. It's also not a Street View replacement. In no way should it compared as having the usage. As for Yelp showing an image and for Maps to show an image of a storefront when you arrive that is pretty useless. The great thing about Street View is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or to get info without going there. It'll be a sorely missed.

I agree that Street View is very useful, and will be missed. It must have been a huge undertaking to cover that much ground with camera vehicles, and I don't know whether it could happen again after the fuss that was made last time. Is Google still acquiring images and updating Street View, or was it a one time deal?
  • Reply 153 of 184
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Well this has turned into a right old mud slinging match between fanboys. Truly an unpleasant sight to see.

From what I've seen of the new Apple maps, and I'm not running the beta so it's just based on screen shot comparisons posted online, they appear to be a massive downgrade over Google's, despite them being rendered as vectors. Maybe they'll improve in time, maybe not, but the lack of Street View renders them essentially useless for me. 

Google have hinted that they will offer a mapping solution to plug the void in iOS 6 at some point, hopefully at iOS 6 launch so there's no map downtime for anyone. Presumably with total control over their own maps app, they could implement all of the Google Map tech from Android which has been missing on iOS for years.  If only there was a way to set default applications in iOS 6, then it really could be a seamless transition. 

Whatever happens I'm sure we'll see some amusing comparisons between Jelly Bean maps and iOS 6 maps later this year, and maybe even some Windows Phone 8 maps in there too just to add to the fun.

Oh and as for the original AA article, - it's fanboy nonsense packed full of cherry picking and half truths, and to be frank, should be removed from the site.

• Reply 154 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And there'll be a third-party (worse) Google Maps app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course it will be handicapped since it will have to use Apple mapping API's won't it?

No. There's no restriction that Mapping apps must use MapKit. Google Earth already has a vector maps layer on iOS. Also, there are plenty of apps out there using OpenStreetMap based maps (mainly because they allow full offline viewing), and there's even a Bing maps app.

• Reply 155 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I agree that Street View is very useful, and will be missed. It must have been a huge undertaking to cover that much ground with camera vehicles, and I don't know whether it could happen again after the fuss that was made last time. Is Google still acquiring images and updating Street View, or was it a one time deal?

Street view is data still very much being captured, both to update existing images and to extend coverage. There are some exceptions: I believe Google are no longer capturing new images in Germany, for example, due to legal issues.

• Reply 156 of 184

Um. You are almost two years incorrect.

Maybe on iOS, but on Android Google has had vector maps for quite awhile.

http://pocketnow.com/android/google-maps-5-brings-vector-graphics-and-offline-navigation

Nice of you guys to catch up...

• Reply 157 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Seems like the five Android fans thought that it was critically important to write in great detail about Google's own adventures in vector maps, even though this is completely irrelevant to iOS 6 Maps because Google won't have any way to deliver its own technologies to the default mapping client the vast majority of iOS uses will be using from here on out. 

Yes, it's terrible that they want the article's writer to actually get the facts straight.  How very obtuse of them. And how is it completely irrelevant since that was in fact the basis of the entire article? So the article was completely irrelevant than?

• Reply 158 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Amato View Post

Um. You are almost two years incorrect.

Maybe on iOS, but on Android Google has had vector maps for quite awhile.

Oh, really?! WOW!

Thanks for the update! ;)

• Reply 159 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: Why is there so much span styling in your replying? Taking longer to clean up certain posters replying instead of replying is very discouraging.

The great thing about Yelp is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or get info without going there.  It's a huge benefit.

No one has yet provided any user base data or user satisfaction data.

• Reply 160 of 184
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Oooohhhhh....

That means we could have a posting elite and a trolling elite...

Edit:  And "Up your Pageviews, too!"

The all time high elite troll is Slappy.  r.i.p.