Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 161 of 184
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,586member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

The great thing about Yelp is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or get info without going there.  It's a huge benefit.

No one has yet provided any user base data or user satisfaction data.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

You do excellent research with included citations going by some of your earlier posts. Perhaps you could point out for those uncomfortable with the user tracking that Google does (and I think you are among those) how Yelp will be different.

• Reply 162 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The great thing about Yelp is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or get info without going there.  It's a huge benefit.

No one has yet provided any user base data or user satisfaction data.

That's a great stand in for Street View if you're talking about a business and they have a street shot on the Yelp site. What if it's a residence you're looking for or something that isn't either but on a road? I've even used it to see if there was a dirt road turn off off a 2 lane highway.
  • Reply 163 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Additionally, all the people going into hysterics about Google's support for vector maps on Android: that's fine if you want to argue about a pissing match, but the reality is that Google has always had 100% of the iOS maps market and virtually 100% of Android. It will soon have virtually 0% of iOS users, and 0% of iOS third party developers, which is vastly significant because iOS is where the money is made that might trickle toward Android. 

It's interesting that your article focuses on vector maps and yet now you downplay it. Your lack of professionalism is laughable.

Oh yes, it's a big deal that Google is not going to be in iOS anymore, but it's also a big deal for consumers that Apple is offering an inferior product in its stead.

• Reply 164 of 184
    hkceohkceo Posts: 1member

Inferior product is right.  For those of us based in China it is laughable.  Apparently Hong Kong Airport is in Shenzhen, Guangdong.  

• Reply 165 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hnlperbt View Post

Oh yes, it's a big deal that Google is not going to be in iOS anymore, but it's also a big deal for consumers that Apple is offering an inferior product in its stead.

Originally Posted by hkceo View Post

Inferior product is right.  For those of us based in China it is laughable.  Apparently Hong Kong Airport is in Shenzhen, Guangdong.  

I'm glad that you're both ignoring the fact that it's in beta. That way I can just tell you both off in the same post.

• Reply 166 of 184
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

Yes, considering that iOS accounts for over 60% of the mobile market and how fast users upgrade to the latest version of iOS, Google will lose over 60% of the mobile traffic/revenue they get from Google Maps really fast. They will start losing money as soon as iOS 6 is released. The new Apple Maps is definitely not a good thing for Google, it is a serious blow as it strikes right at the heart of their business model, taking a way their traffic/revenue.

Google has been on a free ride with the success of the iPhone given that Google Maps has been the default app since the beginning, earning a ton of money from a platform it directly competes with. Apple is about to end that party.

more like 99% as the android installbase probably doesnt pay anything for maps?!? Or does someone have any other info on the subject. I Think anyways google is making their cash on advertising and maps is just a tool for the cause, iceing on the cake.

• Reply 167 of 184

That is strange I heard Apple had more businesses in its maps than Google (20 Million more to be exact) I don't believe Apple only relies on Yelp for businesses because I know Yelp can't have 100 million businesses.  Just speaking what I heard. Have a nice day!

• Reply 168 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

>Apple isn't serving up a public web version of its own maps as Google does, so it isn't constrained by the limits of web-based technologies.

This is actually something that annoys me. Right now, I can use Google Maps on my phone, iPad or computer and always get the same data, directions, street view, etc.

With iOS 6 I'm going to have a different mapping system on my iPad/phone than on my desktop. This is going to lead to different directions and data. This is ALREADY annoying because of the differences between TomTom on my iPhone and Google Maps; now we're going to have a third source of different information.

It'd be nice if Apple would release a web version of their maps, or even an app for the Mac to access them. An app would likely be easier to implement due to the use of vector data.

I think they will make an accessible version to computers.  I think they will either release a program to the Mac only or as an online app at iCloud.com so that only Apple customers would be able to use it

• Reply 169 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspock View Post

" ...comfortable lead that Google and Microsoft are now struggling to match with their own simpler, basic voice recognition systems..."

LOL What ?

Google voice action / Google Now is whipping the floor with Siri

I can link you tons of these .... Siri is taking so long, it's not even worth asking it anything.

Apple makes awsome hardware and Software, but one thing they always sucked at is cloud computing.

These are completely biased (1 wasn't even running iOS 6) Siri on my iPhone goes wickedly fast (beat Google Now every time, I tested Siri on my iPhone in comparison to the speed of Google Now in the video) and I don't even have that good of an internet connection (5 MB/s tops, usually at 2.5 MB/s) Siri on iOS 6 can do things that are actually useful (BTW both Siri's are still in beta, the current version of Siri is in beta, and iOS 6 is in beta).  You can post to Facebook and Twitter, open apps, find movies, car integration, make reservations @ a restaurant, buy movie tickets, the list goes on and on (In iOS 6 only).  Although I do like the idea of walking into a subway and having my phone tell me what trains are ready for departure it really won't be that useful when train station are plastered with signs that tell you that without you getting out your phone to find out.  Siri is overall a much better product it is clear Apple is boosting its cloud services (adding tons of new features to iCloud, adding much more languages, and expansions of data centers) The only thing Google has a leg up on is the actual voice, but as others have complained if you don't live in the USA it is literally shit!

• Reply 170 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Since Maps.app is developed and maintained by Apple, this is really a case of Apple surpassing Apple.  Google doesn't make the app, and their back end certainly hasn't been surpassed, as has been said many times over - they do vectors, and they have better data.

The article is very disingenuous as painting the lack of vector graphics in Maps.app as a Google problem.

Yes the maps app is maintained by Apple but since Google didn't give Apple the back end for other services that Android has-the app couldn't make any progress.  Apple has surpassed the services that both Google and Apple have though.  Like many of us Apple people say-Google throws in features and doesn't think of a better way to implement it until a competitor does it for them.

• Reply 171 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm glad that you're both ignoring the fact that it's in beta. That way I can just tell you both off in the same post.

Right, because beta is an excuse to throw out a good product in favor of an inferior one. To take it to the extreme, I can make an app that doesn't work at all, but if I am apple, I can claim it's in beta so you should all like it anyway.

When Gmail was in beta, it was an excellent product that was much preferable to hotmail and yahoo at the time. iOS maps is an inferior product, beta or not. I've been using google maps on my iphone for a while, was planning on upgrading to a newer iphone, but this downgrade leaves a bad taste.

• Reply 172 of 184

Originally Posted by hnlperbt View Post

Right, because beta is an excuse to throw out a good product in favor of an inferior one.

But Apple's beta maps already look better than Google's release ones… 

When Gmail was in beta, it was an excellent product that was much preferable to hotmail and yahoo at the time.

You're talking about when it wasn't actually a beta. They left that sticker on there for years after it meant anything.

iOS maps is an inferior product, beta or not. 

Thanks for continuing not to get it.

• Reply 173 of 184

Quote:

You're talking about when it wasn't actually a beta. They left that sticker on there for years after it meant anything.

As so many people have pointed out, Apple's maps are missing key features, such as street view. Their maps certainly do not look better than Google maps, though I suppose "beauty" can be subjective. 

And Apple slapped the beta sticker on Siri, the main selling point of the iPhone 4S. Main features should not be in beta.

It's clear that someone as strongly biased towards Apple like you should not be writing journalistic articles. You have no credibility.

• Reply 174 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hnlperbt wrote: »
    And Apple slapped the beta sticker on Siri, the main selling point of the iPhone 4S. Main features should not be in beta.

How exactly does Apple get Siri out of beta without the general public using it rampantly? Are you seriously suggesting that a few thousand devs could work out all the aspects that make up the way a digital assistant needs to understand various languages, phonemes, accents, and dialects, as well as all the parsing for cultural references and proper nouns to understand the intent of your speech?

What you should have done before you posted was to consider why, of all the keynote features Apple has released and advertised over the years, do you think that this one feature would get the Beta tag on it? Instead you've just jumped into what I assume is some anti-Apple dreamworld where Apple is failing and Steve Jobs would have never done this BS.

If you actually step back and look at the reality of the tech and the only way this tech can become a great service you will come to the realization that all such tech that tries to interpret meaning from human speech will need a massive and continual amount of data.
  • Reply 175 of 184
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

How do they look better?  I guess they look cleaner, but that's only because Apple have neglected to include most of the street names, points of interest and traffic data. Personally I prefer maps to be informative.

Apple's maps aren't even alpha level, let alone beta, and shouldn't be let anywhere near the public. You should never, EVER remove useful functionality from released products unless you have an incredibly powerful reason to do so. Hating Google is not a valid reason.

• Reply 176 of 184

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Apple's maps aren't even alpha level, let alone beta, and shouldn't be let anywhere near the public. 

HEY, GUESS WHAT. THEY'RE NOWHERE NEAR THE PUBLIC RIGHT NOW.

????

Maybe screaming can get through to these fools. We've tried everything else.

• Reply 177 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How exactly does Apple get Siri out of beta without the general public using it rampantly? Are you seriously suggesting that a few thousand devs could work out all the aspects that make up the way a digital assistant needs to understand various languages, phonemes, accents, and dialects, as well as all the parsing for cultural references and proper nouns to understand the intent of your speech?

What you should have done before you posted was to consider why, of all the keynote features Apple has released and advertised over the years, do you think that this one feature would get the Beta tag on it? Instead you've just jumped into what I assume is some anti-Apple dreamworld where Apple is failing and Steve Jobs would have never done this BS.

If you actually step back and look at the reality of the tech and the only way this tech can become a great service you will come to the realization that all such tech that tries to interpret meaning from human speech will need a massive and continual amount of data.

Well said. What better source of data than over excited fans trying out SIRI every time they can. I know I have. I kept borrowing my friend's iPhone 4S just to try SIRI. haha. Hopefully by September, it will all change and be a better product overall. Though I would still like to see Google catch up to it. That way both sides can scream at their phones. ^_^

• Reply 178 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennaisance View Post

Street view is data still very much being captured, both to update existing images and to extend coverage. There are some exceptions: I believe Google are no longer capturing new images in Germany, for example, due to legal issues.

Probably the rest of the world won't have street view anymore thanks to those issues. Thankfully, yelp uses user donations, so in the end, it can be more expansive than street view will be in a couple of years

• Reply 179 of 184
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

Probably the rest of the world won't have street view anymore thanks to those issues. Thankfully, yelp uses user donations, so in the end, it can be more expansive than street view will be in a couple of years

If you honestly believe Yelp will ever match Street View you are seriously deluding yourself. Street View has bubbles at regular intervals on every road in dozens of countries. Millions upon millions of images.

• Reply 180 of 184

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

If you honestly believe Yelp will ever match Street View you are seriously deluding yourself.

The thing about people who talk objectively about infinities is that they are always, unequivocally wrong.