New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Is it just me, or is the whole "i"Device nomenclature getting a bit long in the tooth?
  • Reply 22 of 122
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

That would have been cool if they used a MagSafe style connector instead of the 30 pin.

• Reply 23 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Is it just me, or is the whole "i"Device nomenclature getting a bit long in the tooth?

I was thinking the same thing the other day.  The iMac came out going on 15 years ago now (hard to believe).

• Reply 24 of 122
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh.

Again,

I state and maintain that Apple will NOT be releasing an iPad Mini.

This is NEVER EVER going to happen.

At most,

Apple will be releasing the Next Generation iPod Touch.

And what size would this iPod Touch be?  The same size as the iPad mini?  How about an iPad Nano?  Or an iPad micro?  Or an IPod Magnum?

• Reply 25 of 122

IF it is an "iPad Mini" or an "iPod Touch Jumbo" … either way, can we stop calling it a "7-inch" device?

No indications ANYWHERE say it's the same size or shape as a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire, or any other "7-inch" tablet format device...

ALL indications are that it's a 7.85" device… aka an 8-INCH device (9.7" is referred to as 10-inch, so 7.85" is 8-inch, yes?)…

Why do the AI writers keep referring to it as a "7 inch iPad"?

• Reply 26 of 122
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    torvalus wrote: »
    Why is everyone forgetting the fact that they basically confirmed

Nothing. Apple is the only one hat can confirm these details and they haven't. So at this point who know what's going on
  • Reply 27 of 122

What fanboyish denial is this? IT'S A 7.85" IPAD. PERIOD. There's no way they're calling something that large an iPod. At 7.85", the touch elements of a 768*1024 pixel iPad-type iOS interface are THE EXACT SAME SIZE AS THE IPHONE'S. There'd be no need to change ANYTHING, in fact, it would be actually EASIER than getting current apps to the 3rd gen iPad.

• Reply 28 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Torvalus View Post

Why is everyone forgetting the fact that they basically confirmed they are transitioning ALL iDevices to the new dock connector at once?

Because it's not confirmed in any respect under any system of logic? It is 100% given that they are moving all devices to Dock Connector 2. It is 0% given that they are doing it all at once, and frankly it's ludicrous to even think they'd do that.

• Reply 29 of 122
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Flex Cables

It all looks good to me.   The only thing I don't understand is the curve of the audio jack hole on the iPad mini connector.  

I would have expected it to be cut off at an angle, but instead it's a sort of saddle cut that you would get if the body of the iPad mini was rounded like an iPhone 3GS.

Maybe the new iPad mini is going to be made out of cheap, lightweight plastic?

• Reply 30 of 122
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcode View Post

I saw a drawing somewhere of a dock that used both the new connector and the headphone jack to support the device. If that was the case, the headphone jack would be the same distance from the new dock connector on each device, surely?

Of course, the drawing was pure speculation but it's an idea to consider.

that is possible.  One of the last iPod Shuffles did this.  So it's not totally out of the question for Apple to do this.  That would assume however that Audio would be transmitted only through the audo Jack.  Wow, that would really throw a wench in the 3rd part market.

• Reply 31 of 122
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"iPad mini" part, but the headphone jack is no further away from the Dock Connector 2 than the iPhone's part is… Seems more like an iPod touch's part, but as there's less to jam in that case than the iPhone's, the parts can have more leeway.

Judging by the accuuracy of my little finger.  The iphone headphone jack is further away than the 'ipad mini' part.  

as they note in the iresq blog post.

They also have another picture that seems to show no contacts on one side of the dock

• Reply 32 of 122
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kent909 wrote: »
    I am still going to stand by my theory that the 7" device is going to be the new iPod Touch. Makes sense to me as it avoids all the controversy on how SJ said a 7" iPad did not make sense. 

I don't recall Jobs ever saying that a 7" iPad did not make sense.
  • Reply 33 of 122
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

It doesn't look very Magsafe-ish :(

• Reply 34 of 122
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lukeskymac wrote: »
    What fanboyish denial is this? IT'S A 7.85" IPAD. PERIOD. There's no way they're calling something that large an iPod. At 7.85", the touch elements of a 768*1024 pixel iPad-type iOS interface are THE EXACT SAME SIZE AS THE IPHONE'S. There'd be no need to change ANYTHING, in fact, it would be actually EASIER than getting current apps to the 3rd gen iPad.

Exactly. An 8" iPad would be 64% as big as a 10" iPad. An 8" iPod Touch would be about 500% the size of a standard iPod Touch. Which makes more sense?

Furthermore, look at the branding. The iPod Touch is basically a music device which also allows you to play some games. The iPad is a general purpose (albeit somewhat limited) general computing device. It doesn't make sense to have an 8" music device.

Finally, the iPad brand is hot - and growing. The iPod Touch brand is becoming quite dated and somewhat obsolete.

It makes no sense to call it an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Judging by the accuuracy of my little finger.  The iphone headphone jack is further away than the 'ipad mini' part.  

That (the iPhone jack) will bend to make it closer.

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It doesn't look very Magsafe-ish :(

It was never going to be.

• Reply 36 of 122
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Looks like the Classic iPod (finally) will be discontinued.

My prediction:

new iPod  (4" Screen, A5X processor, 3mp camera) $199

new iPod  (7'' Screen A5X processor, 5mp camera, Siri) $299

new iPod nano (return of bigger screen with a small home button, bluetooth) $149

new iPod shuffle (with touch screen) $99

new iPhone (4" Screen, Quad Core, A6 processor, 10mp camera, iWallet, meet new Siri) $199, $299, $349 w/contract

iPhone 4 (free w/contract) iPhone 4S $99 w/contract

new redesigned iTunes with Twitter integration, web-version, iCloud streaming

new HD music format

That will make a great holiday quarter.

• Reply 37 of 122

I can't make this broken crappy forum software post pictures but if this part is real then the iPad mini will definitely have an edge curve similar to the iPhone 3GS.  

The audio jack parts from the 3G and 3Gs match it almost exactly in form, the ones from the iPad 2 & 3 are slanted and a different shape altogether.  

These are either fake pictures or I predict the iPad mini (iBook?) will be black/white plastic.

• Reply 38 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Looks like the Classic iPod (finally) will be discontinued.

My prediction:

new iPod  (4" Screen, A5X processor, 3mp camera) $199

new iPod  (7'' Screen A5X processor, 5mp camera, Siri) $299

new iPod nano (return of bigger screen with a small home button, bluetooth) $149

new iPod shuffle (with touch screen) $99

new iPhone (4" Screen, Quad Core, A6 processor, 10mp camera, iWallet, meet new Siri) $199, $299, $349 w/contract

I would say instead: 

(shufflle and classic discontinued)

new iPod nano - $99

new iPod touch (4" Screen) - $150

new iPad mini  - $199

new iPad - $399

• Reply 39 of 122
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't recall Jobs ever saying that a 7" iPad did not make sense.

2010 ipad 1 keynotes.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I would say instead: 
    (shufflle and classic discontinued)

new iPod nano - $99
    new iPod touch (4" Screen) - $150

new iPad mini  - $199
    new iPad - $399

Beside the 399 new ipad this makes more sense to me. They have the ipad 2 at 399 no need to reduce the price of the new ipad. Unless you mean they will change the ipad 2?