New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by addabox View Post

"Colorways."  Used to be a term exclusively used by the graphic design and interior decoration industries, referring to collections of shades deployed across ad layouts or room and being a slightly dumb sounding specialized term for "color scheme." Then pretty recently I noticed it getting used to describe the two or three colors on bikes ("Awesome colorway on your ride, bro").  Here it is, apparently meaning either black or white.  So we've got a generation of 20 something fetishists who have decided that "color' is insufficient for the lifestyle denoting choices they make.  But is is jarring to see it used this way in an AI article.

I agree.  This is really questionable usage from AppleInsider.  "Colorways" (sic) is the kind of term you'd expect some ghetto rapper to be using, not a tech blog site.  It's bleeding edge idiocy.  Someone is just trying to be cool I suppose.  

• Reply 62 of 122
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That (the iPhone jack) will bend to make it closer.

parts of the older iphones are bent as such.  But the curve for this would have to be quite harsh considering the apparent length of the cable, and the hypothesised thinness.

• Reply 63 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

parts of the older iphones are bent as such.  But the curve for this would have to be quite harsh considering the apparent length of the cable, and the hypothesised thinness.

Looks more like a standard fold to me. I'm talking about that little bit of cable connecting the headphone jack box to the rest of the assembly.

• Reply 64 of 122

Quote:

Looks more like a standard fold to me. I'm talking about that little bit of cable connecting the headphone jack box to the rest of the assembly.

The headphone plug in the iphone 4 has thinner cables, that twist rather than fold over (like the lcd connector on the iphone4).

I havent pulled apart my 4s, but it wider, but no substantial bends.

This will create a more integrated part for Apple, but also more expensive to replace...

• Reply 65 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Actually, I'm not so sure about the reversible bit anymore.  Reports are trickling in that the port only has 9 pins - it's one-sided.  So, no 18 pins, and not reversible.  Any analog audio would have to come from the headphone jack.

Who needs 'reports' when we have a photo, from the original site linked in the article?

• Reply 66 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Who needs 'reports' when we have a photo, from the original site linked in the article?

Who says the nine pins can't be reversible?

• Reply 67 of 122

Quote:

Who says the nine pins can't be reversible?

Saying the port is single sided does not prevent a dual sided plug being reversible.

My post was providing clarification on the mentions of 'reports'

• Reply 68 of 122
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

Not to be a hater, but that is a lot of cabling...  I would think they would have had a more efficent city planning by now that would minimize roadwork.  Consider how beautiful the board layout for the macbook retina is.

Perhaps the length of the cable is necessary to allow the parts to be connected while someone's hand's are between the parts. Its all well and good to have a 1/2" cable if the parts are being assembled robotically and never need to be taken apart etc - but without a look at the rest of the system how can you tell? 

Quote:

According to sources, the new layout will enhance data throughput while bringing down the size of the part by some 60 percent.

How does THAT work? Yeah I know shorter path for electrons = less time to transmit data etc - but how does the physical size of the connector have any impact on the data transmission rate? Should that not be a result of nearly every other factor such as protocol, serial vs parallel, number of lanes, clock rates on the chips, etc? and nearly nothing whatsoever to do with whether the connector is 1" wide or 0.4" wide? 

• Reply 69 of 122
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    doorman. wrote: »
    What's the difference? Only a name.

Exactly. People are hung up on the name, as if that will somehow vindicate their steadfast insistence that the 7" device would not happen. There are several posters on this site whose credibility is on the verge of being permanently erased if this device is released, regardless of what it's called.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    ivlad wrote: »
    Looks like the Classic iPod (finally) will be discontinued.

My prediction:
    new iPod  (4" Screen, A5X processor, 3mp camera) $199
    new iPod  (7'' Screen A5X processor, 5mp camera, Siri) $299
    new iPod nano (return of bigger screen with a small home button, bluetooth) $149
    new iPod shuffle (with touch screen) $99
    new iPhone (4" Screen, Quad Core, A6 processor, 10mp camera, iWallet, meet new Siri) $199, $299, $349 w/contract

iPhone 4 (free w/contract) iPhone 4S $99 w/contract

new redesigned iTunes with Twitter integration, web-version, iCloud streaming
    new HD music format

That will make a great holiday quarter.

Dang, good prediction!
  • Reply 71 of 122
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I would say instead: 
    (shufflle and classic discontinued)

new iPod touch (4" Screen) - $150
    Shuffle is waaaay too popular as an entry level iPod.

I do however think it may get the new dock connector to allow greater compatibility with dock accessories, for which there is little available at the moment.

The exception to this is if Apple continues the Nano form factor, which is still pretty small for sports, etc. but they have to drop the price, which they might do if they also introduce a larger nano. Right now the nano seems like a more expensive duplication of the shuffle.

Then again, Apple is trying to make the shuffle as small and light as possible, so that in itself is a challenege to Apple themselves to make it ever smaller, year after year, since there is a market for this kind of device.

The iPod touch may not get updated this year until Apple sees how well the 7" tablet sells. The 7" tablet might cannibalize most of the Touch sales. In which case, why go to the expense to tool-up for a new device when it may not even sell?

As for the classic, bottom line is it still holds more music than any other portable device apple sells, besides a MacBook. It costs nothing to make, While Apple is pushing iCloud as a storage method for your music, there are a few places where you can't get access to it -- backcountry camping, hiking and backpacking, third world countries, ocean travel, etc. and the classic offers something else none of the other devices have ... Tremendous battery life, to keep your device playing all that music without a recharge. 128GB flash is cheap enough I could see Apple going SSD, reducing the capacity, and prolonging battery life. But otherwise keeping this durable portable music device, until such time the other iDevices can offer similar storage options with the same performance.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    bsenka wrote: »
    Exactly. People are hung up on the name, as if that will somehow vindicate their steadfast insistence that the 7" device would not happen. There are several posters on this site whose credibility is on the verge of being permanently erased if this device is released, regardless of what it's called.

LOL - that would be everyone losing credibility who makes Apple predictions. Digitimes at the top of the list. Even John Gruber. People like to debate and guess and it is near impossible to have high accuracy. But debating and guessing is part of the fun.
  • Reply 73 of 122

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

There are several posters on this site whose credibility is on the verge of being permanently erased if this device is released, regardless of what it's called.

No one on this site has any credibility about Apple releases. None of us are actual insiders there.

• Reply 74 of 122
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

So the new iDevices coming out will have black and white sides???? (the nano sim card tray was black in a recent photo) Why are they going to be black and white again? Why not colors like when they did with the 1998 iMac? I mean I know they can't blend glass, ( the front definately would have to stay black but they can color the sides and rear metal like in the iPod Shuffles or Nano's.... Whatever happened to colors? Are we living in a black and white world where colors don't exist anymore? And don't tell me to slip a case on it, they're ugly.

• Reply 75 of 122
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

If the connector includes the audio jack, it would be impossible to plug it in the wrong way.  So, no need for more expensive reversible cables.  Would also provide additional stability when used in a dock...

Like I said above, the new 8-pin docking port connector WILL be reversible. The 8-pin to 30-pin adaptor, however, will not be reversible, because it will also use the audio jack plug to deliver the proper audio and digital connections to older 30-pin plugs.

• Reply 76 of 122
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    sunspot42 wrote: »
    If the connector includes the audio jack, it would be impossible to plug it in the wrong way.  So, no need for more expensive reversible cables.  Would also provide additional stability when used in a dock...

I think we are talking about different things.

The leaked apple-designed cable does not mate with the audio jack so will be reversible.

Dock-like devices that tap audio will make use of the audio jack. In these devices the male connectors will not need to be double-sided; the desired orientation is fixed (ie screen to the front).
  • Reply 77 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Like I said above, the new 8-pin docking port connector WILL be reversible. The 8-pin to 30-pin adaptor, however, will not be reversible, because it will also use the audio jack plug to deliver the proper audio and digital connections to older 30-pin plugs.

You mean like this ...

That's all well and good. But then why make the connector reversible? Obviously in such a dock it does not need to be -- in fact in the case of the pictured adapter, I'm sure in a reversible 8 pin configuration, the connector will only have pins on one side.

So Apple is going to all of this trouble to make a reversible dock connector for a phone that can already synch wirelessly with a Mac? Who's actually going to plug it into a Mac? So this is strictly for charging then? In which case, why bother with all those other pins on the connector? Yes, the phone can have the pins for docking purposes, but the standard cable used 99.9% for charging only, doesn't, and certainly doesn't need to be reversible, especially if using it for anything else but charging there is a 1/8" audio plug connected to it. So Apple's going to sell two cables, one for charging and connecting to your Mac that's reversible, and the other for accessories that's not? The only other option is to sell that adapter and continue to sell the old 30 pin dock connector for use with accessories, but that seems very unlike Apple to have such an inelegant solution.

I'm thinking that adapter looks very unlike Apple too. Very clumsy. Yes, the Shuffle has it, but that's strictly a unique case. The Shuffle is so light, you have to handle it with two hands anyway, and the shuffle is likely to get the new dock connector anyway. I can't see it in a dock where you have to hold the dock down with your hands to pull it off that audio plug (which won't be very attractive when the iPhone is not docked). And if this is how it will work because it only has 8 pins, then every dock will have to have them to offer analogue audio. Which means all those universal docks that plugged into the headphone port are going to have their work cut out for them to accommodate this ( though this is not Apple's problem). 

I'm also wondering how it's going to work in the car, when you use the adapter to plug it into your legacy charger, and try to use your earbud at the same time. 

THere may be a reversible dock connector, but I don't see this audio plug combo happening. 

• Reply 78 of 122
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

That's all well and good. But then why make the connector reversible? 

Because they're Apple? They'll make it reversible for the same reason they made MagSafe reversible. Because to do otherwise is to have millions of people fumbling first one way, then another trying to plug in their iPhone or iPad. Remember, most people use cables, not docks.

• Reply 79 of 122
    Ahmico, I'm not questioning whether the new dock connector will be reversible, it makes perfect sense to do it ... I'm calling into question the validity of your assertion that the dock connectors and adapters will look like the one pictured. It's a mess and I doubt Apple will do it. If they do, then there's no reason to have it reversible since it will only insert in one direction.

However, if they really are using 19 pins, then it won't be reversible either, and there's no need for it to be. The next iPhone, synchs wirelessly. The only reason to plug it in then is to charge it, and people will do what they've been doing since the first iPod, try it and twist it once the other direction if it doesn't fit. It's not rocket surgery.

I'm all for a reversible dock connector like MagSafe, but not at the cost of hideous dock connectors like the adapter pictured, which if true negates the whole reason for having a reversible one.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Because they're Apple? They'll make it reversible for the same reason they made MagSafe reversible. Because to do otherwise is to have millions of people fumbling first one way, then another trying to plug in their iPhone or iPad. Remember, most people use cables, not docks.

Because they're Apple and yet no non-cylindrical data connector of theirs has ever been reversible? I'm not following how you've made such a huge leap. The MagSafe is just for DC power and that means it only has three connector types, positive, negative and neutral. With data you're talking about a rumoured 8 to 17 pins that will require sophisticated and complex circuitry to make it reversible. It can be done and no other company is better suited for making this a reality but that is not the same as it being guaranteed because they're Apple when they have absolutely no history of this.