Apple's 'iPhone 5 Tsunami' predicted to sell 250M units over life cycle

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I dunno.  Wish he hadn't called it a Tsunami. 

On the contrary. I think we know the name of the new device now.

"iPhone 4T". Tagline: 'Because T comes after S'.

• Reply 42 of 86

"50 $ in earnings" : before or after taxes ? (cf Monty Python)

• Reply 43 of 86
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

I'm really not sure why there's so much hype over the potential success of the iPhone 5. It's just another incremental upgrade. It's physically near identical to the last two models, the screen size is barely any larger - and certainly a long, long way behind Android sizes, and it will get the usual small mid-cycle GPU bump from the iPad 3.  I guess there'll be 4G for one or two markets, but for nobody else.  

So why the hype? What is the iPhone 5 doing that's so new?

• Reply 44 of 86
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He believes Apple's next iPhone will "help the industry migrate to a better balance between content provider and end-user revenue sources to support continued investment."

That sentence may have touched on Apple's television strategy.  I think Apple is taking its time with TV for several reasons.  The first and most obvious reason is the process of getting movie and TV studios to sign contracts to provide their content through iTunes.  That will take years.  But an even long-term task just might be getting the cell carriers to develop a wireless infrastructure capable of leapfrogging the traditional cable and satellite TV networks.

Yes, LTE is much faster than previous 3G iterations (the full name of "LTE" being "3GPP Long Term Evolution.")  But, even though the actual technology for "real 4G" hasn't even been decided yet, the 4G technical requirements include 1Gbit/sec download to stationary and slow-moving devices (e.g. walking around) and 100Mbit/sec to highly mobile devices (when you're riding in cars, trains.)  And, if "real 4G" becomes pervasive and reliable enough, it could replace conventional cable and satellite networks.

So, maybe 10 years from now, Apple's TV solution will rely completely on wireless high-speed data to living rooms as well as portable devices.  All streamed from iCloud.  Live streaming for news, sports, concerts, etc.  Pre-recorded streaming for everything else, available just seconds after it's been broadcast.  No need for DVR recording, because it would just be a duplicate of what's on the Apple servers anyway.  And, of course, no cable guy or dish installation.  

I seriously doubt that Apple would want to ship a conventional TiVo-like set-top box with a cable or satellite input and DVR feature.  Bad idea, from an Apple-centric viewpoint.  Better to totally leapfrog all of that legacy 20th-century technology.

• Reply 45 of 86

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

So why the hype? What is the 6th iPhone doing that's so new?

It's revealing trolls and their useless, ignorant "opinions" on the forums better than any previous model.

• Reply 46 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I used to think that Apple would give it a marketing name of "the new iPhone," and hide the actual "iPhone 5,1" internal model number.

And, next year, when there a newer "new iPhone," I figured Apple would disambiguate things by calling the 2013 iPhone the "iPhone (6th gen)."

But now I'm 50/50.  I think it'll either be "new iPhone" or "iPhone 5."

Not because the "5" makes any sense.  Because that's what the market (i.e. consumers) are expecting now.

Flip a coin.

• Reply 47 of 86

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Not because the "5" makes any sense.  Because that's what the market (i.e. consumers) are expecting now.

Who gives a frick what they think? image The market thought it was "iPhone 5" last year and Apple didn't give it to them. Apple specifically dropped the numbering from the iPad's name because they didn't want to be predictable. And instead of taking the hint, the market (i.e. morons) continues to give a number to the next iPhone. image

• Reply 48 of 86

Quote:

It's revealing trolls and their useless, ignorant "opinions" on the forums better than any previous model.

Think of it this way: even web traffic from trolls counts as web traffic to AppleInsider.com.

More traffic -> higher Page ranking -> more attractive to advertisers -> higher revenue for AppleInsider.com.

There will be more and more trolling as Apple becomes more and more influential in more and more industries.

(Looking at you, TV industry...)  And all that trolling will make AppleInsider.com, a premier pro-Apple site, even more successful.

Yay.

• Reply 49 of 86

Quote:

Who gives a frick what they think? image The market thought it was "iPhone 5" last year and Apple didn't give it to them. Apple specifically dropped the numbering from the iPad's name because they didn't want to be predictable. And instead of taking the hint, the market (i.e. morons) continues to give a number to the next iPhone. image

I do see your point.  And yeah, Apple has a habit of telling consumers what they really wanted instead of asking them.

(Which has worked quite well for them, especially over the past decade or so.)

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said 'a faster horse.' "

- Henry Ford

• Reply 50 of 86

…successful.

Odd definition.

• Reply 51 of 86
    Who gives a frick what they think? :lol:  The market thought it was "iPhone 5" last year and Apple didn't give it to them. Apple specifically dropped the numbering from the iPad's name because they didn't want to be predictable. And instead of taking the hint, the market (i.e. morons) continues to give a number to the next iPhone. :lol:

Awesome. I wish the "Add to Reputation" button worked on the iPad. If so, I'd be clicking...
  • Reply 52 of 86

Quote:

So why the hype? What is the 6th iPhone doing that's so new?

LOL!  I was going to post something like:  "I dunno, but whatever it is -- it seems to have worked (to upset you)".

But yours is much more succinct!

• Reply 53 of 86
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Back to the post -- I think this makes sense. All those that were waiting for the iPhone to hit Verizon and got it day 1 back in Feb 2010 are either about to be eligible, or will be eligible by 10/7 for an upgrade. Add to that Verizon having a huge LTE lead over everyone else in the states, and I see this one selling extremely well on Verizon. Heck, I am so ready, I accepted the gazelle.com offer for my Verizon iPhone 4 today, so I will be able to upgrade my 32 gb 4 to a 32gb new iPhone for about $99. (assuming price/size stays the same).

This will be Verizon's best selling phone this season, I think.

People are ignoring fact that the carriers (worldwide not just US) are in an excellent position to screw Apple over on sales for this particular phone because it's an upgrade that needs a brand new SIM card.  

The lack of availability of the new SIMs (both real and pretend on the part of the carriers), plus the fact that they will try to screw everyone over for a new contract will have some dampening effect.  It will still have huge sales, but there will definitely be problems unless the SIM turns out to be backwards compatible or something.  

• Reply 54 of 86

Quote:

Quote:

I used to think that Apple would give it a marketing name of "the new iPhone," and hide the actual "iPhone 5,1" internal model number.

And, next year, when there a newer "new iPhone," I figured Apple would disambiguate things by calling the 2013 iPhone the "iPhone (6th gen)."

Flip a coin.

iPhone ][...  iPhone///... iPhone RT...  or my favorite  iPhone SJ -- it's a Duesy   (after the Duesenbergh)  

• Reply 55 of 86
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

hmmm - do you suppose they'll call it the "The New iPhone" instead of iPhone 5 ?

or maybe iPhone 4LTE ?

or maybe if it has an A6 chip in it they will call it the iPhone 6 ?

or maybe if it has a 4.3" Screen they will call it the iPhone 4.3LTE, the phone that Rhymes (or would that be reserved for the Iphony4.3LTE)?

There is little to no chance they'd call it iPhone 5 since iPhone 4S was the 5th iPhone... also its stupid to keep the numbers up... what will we have 20 years from now?  the iPhone 18 ?  Its most likely they'll go with the Mac and iPad number strategy and just call it iPhone.  Yes they'll launch it as "the new iPhone" but that doesn't mean its called "the new iPhone" ... that New iPad joke got very old very fast and it just isn't funny at all anymore.

Quote:

So why the hype? What is the iPhone 5 doing that's so new?

Siri's sister Miri will cook breakfast and do laundry while Siri gets more sarcastic and obnoxious.

• Reply 56 of 86
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

... the iPhone 5. It's just another incremental upgrade. It's physically near identical to the last two models, the screen size is barely any larger   ...

This is pure garbage.  The phone is a completely different design this time.  

• Reply 57 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is pure garbage.  The phone is a completely different design this time.  

...we're assuming based on "leaks".

• Reply 58 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The phone is a completely different design this time.  

Okay, now, that's… going a bit far in the other direction. You certainly cannot argue that it has changed, but you can argue that it has completely changed.

• Reply 59 of 86

I know it'll be my first iPhone, Verizon Month-to-month FTW! :D

• Reply 60 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sockrolid wrote: »

Flip a coin.

I think "iPhone (2012)" is more likely than iPhone 5. When used in speech, they'd simply say "the new iPhone". When writing anything where it is important to distinguish versions, they'd use the year. Much like they do with their other computers.