Apple's 'iPhone 5 Tsunami' predicted to sell 250M units over life cycle

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86

Anybody catch that actual MSNBC piece? What did they said? Why Apple's luck may not hold this time? It got out just fine in 2010 and 2011, why not this one? What has changed since Jobs is gone?

• Reply 22 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I don't see a smartphone with 30% bezel getting sold to a quarter of billion people nowadays. Just won't happen.

I did a rough measurement on the the S3 from an image and it is around 20% bezel. Not that I have ever considered the bezel of the iPhone to be a hindrance of any kind nor have I given it much thought either. I seriously doubt many people would place much priority on a 10% difference in bezel when there are so many positive aspects in the iPhone, which I am sure I don't need to list.

• Reply 23 of 86
    Back to the post -- I think this makes sense. All those that were waiting for the iPhone to hit Verizon and got it day 1 back in Feb 2010 are either about to be eligible, or will be eligible by 10/7 for an upgrade. Add to that Verizon having a huge LTE lead over everyone else in the states, and I see this one selling extremely well on Verizon. Heck, I am so ready, I accepted the gazelle.com offer for my Verizon iPhone 4 today, so I will be able to upgrade my 32 gb 4 to a 32gb new iPhone for about $99. (assuming price/size stays the same).

This will be Verizon's best selling phone this season, I think.
  • Reply 24 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Where did I ever claim that Apple was immune to a recession?

Your imagination is getting the better of you.

Please  read more carefully!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

I remembered you told us Apple is not immune to U.S. recession, and I believe that. But why the recession begins to bite Apple now, this time this year?
  • Reply 25 of 86
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jason98 wrote: »
    I don't see a smartphone with 30% bezel getting sold to a quarter of billion people nowadays. Just won't happen.

Everyone take note—a new spec benchmark: bezel percentage!
  • Reply 26 of 86
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

hmmm - do you suppose they'll call it the "The New iPhone" instead of iPhone 5 ?

or maybe iPhone 4LTE ?

or maybe if it has an A6 chip in it they will call it the iPhone 6 ?

or maybe if it has a 4.3" Screen they will call it the iPhone 4.3LTE, the phone that Rhymes (or would that be reserved for the Iphony4.3LTE)?

• Reply 27 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

hmmm - do you suppose they'll call it the "The New iPhone" instead of iPhone 5 ?

or maybe iPhone 4LTE ?

or maybe if it has an A6 chip in it they will call it the iPhone 6 ?

or maybe if it has a 4.3" Screen they will call it the iPhone 4.3LTE, the phone that Rhymes (or would that be reserved for the Iphony4.3LTE)?

I though iPhone 5 would be the easiest choice. They can even keep LTE for S version when AT&T is ready with proper LTE coverage. Since LTE equivalent on GSM is not ready for prime time yet.

• Reply 28 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I did a rough measurement on the the S3 from an image and it is around 20% bezel. Not that I have ever considered the bezel of the iPhone to be a hindrance of any kind nor have I given it much thought either. I seriously doubt many people would place much priority on a 10% difference in bezel when there are so many positive aspects in the iPhone, which I am sure I don't need to list.

Would you say that 20% is as far as our current engineering can go, given the level of manufacturing technology Samsung or anyone got now?

How far along TV department can reduce the size and percentage of their bezel? If Samsung TV cannot break 20% treshold either, what should they do to get a bigger screen and not become much bigger than Galaxy Note which, IMO, as big as you can go for a phone design.

• Reply 29 of 86

What does this guy know that only a couple of folks inside Apple knows? Hyping the stock before the September (?) announcement, then when Apple fails to deliver on the hype, which it must invariably do, then the stock tanks. 

Please, whenever some typical Wall Street jerk makes a statement like this, precede the report with the title **** NO EVIDENCE OPINION ****.

• Reply 30 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Would you say that 20% is as far as our current engineering can go, given the level of manufacturing technology Samsung or anyone got now?

How far along TV department can reduce the size and percentage of their bezel? If Samsung TV cannot break 20% treshold either, what should they do to get a bigger screen and not become much bigger than Galaxy Note which, IMO, as big as you can go for a phone design.

There is no reason to make the bezel smaller. You need someplace to put the proximity sensor, earphone, front facing camera, and a home button, plus the side bezel provide a buffer to hold it without accidental touch events. You could build a phone with zero bezel but it would lose functionality in my opinion. 

There is also the space required for the rear facing camera. A camera with a better lens is going to be a slightly deeper dimension and with the extreme thinness of the phone case you would probably have to compromise the depth of the camera as it would likely be in conflict with the thickness of the screen. So that is another practical function of the bezel. I have not seen a real Galaxy S3 but from the pictures it appears that the rear camera actually protrudes from the case probably for that same reason.

• Reply 31 of 86

FWIW - I am sure Apple will sell a lot of them... in the US. 

The iPhone is struggling in Europe as carriers aren't subsidizing as much and europeans aren't as tech crazy as we are.

Also, higher speed networks are REALLY hit/miss there. China, the iPhone is doing so-so. 

250M units though is a pretty crazy number, but feasible if you are talking the ENTIRE product lifecycle... maybe 2/2.5 years?

Heck the iPhone 3GS is just starting to end of life.

The ONLY thing I truly think that may hold the iPhone (or iPad) back at this point is iOS. I know you guys, myself included, like the simplicity of the OS. But, compared to newer OS' like Android Jellybean(?) or even Windows 8... there's a TON of features one wishes iOS had integrated into the OS versus using an app for... which Android and Windows 8 has built-in versus requiring an app to do that. And with most tech users, once we get the foundation usage patterns established, we tend to want a little bit more.

• Reply 32 of 86

I'm not even gonna come up with a clever way fo saying this like usually do; Mr. Berger, it will not be called the iPhone 5.

• Reply 33 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Two please. Right now. Our iPhone 4s feel so sluggish these days.

Just gotta figure out whether to leave AT&Thieves for Verizon or not.

No sign of AT&T LTE in Philly. That might do it.

Sorry, I'm ahead of you in the queue. My iPhone 4 (not 4s) feels monumentally slow now! ;-)

• Reply 34 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

FWIW - I am sure Apple will sell a lot of them... in the US. 

The iPhone is struggling in Europe as carriers aren't subsidizing as much and europeans aren't as tech crazy as we are.

Also, higher speed networks are REALLY hit/miss there. China, the iPhone is doing so-so. 

Forget iOS. Is iPhone still able to keep its coll factor since they are so many of them today. Practically every man and a dog has iPhone now.

Would iPhone remains a 'cool' fashion accessory like it was since 2007 this year?

• Reply 35 of 86
    Inb4 the leaked photos so far are ugly and it won't sell well at all. (Not my opinion btw)
  • Reply 36 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fairthrope wrote: »
    Anybody catch that actual MSNBC piece? What did they said? Why Apple's luck may not hold this time? It got out just fine in 2010 and 2011, why not this one? What has changed since Jobs is gone?

Please try to keep up.

It was a sarcastic comment about what MSNBC would probably say if they remain true to form.

It's pretty sad that you didn't get that - even after it was explained to you.
  • Reply 37 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

$50 in earnings. That's how you manage expectations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

"$50 in earning" seems conservative.

My thoughts exactly. I think the quarter over quarter results would be pretty bad as well as having a somewhat negative effect on fiscal year earnings report. It is amazing that this analyst is apparently able to project earnings to the nearest $10. Or is it $50 increment? ;)

• Reply 38 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Forget iOS. Is iPhone still able to keep its coll factor since they are so many of them today. Practically every man and a dog has iPhone now.

Would iPhone remains a 'cool' fashion accessory like it was since 2007 this year?

Now fairthhrope, is your dog using your account again? You might have it try the spell checker.

• Reply 39 of 86
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

The ONLY thing I truly think that may hold the iPhone (or iPad) back at this point is iOS. I know you guys, myself included, like the simplicity of the OS. But, compared to newer OS' like Android Jellybean(?) or even Windows 8... there's a TON of features one wishes iOS had integrated into the OS versus using an app for... which Android and Windows 8 has built-in versus requiring an app to do that. And with most tech users, once we get the foundation usage patterns established, we tend to want a little bit more.

This is a sincere questions, since I don't have any hands-on experience with Jellybean or Windows 8: can you give some examples of missing features from iOS?

• Reply 40 of 86
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

I dunno.  Wish he hadn't called it a Tsunami.