Samsung guilty of patent infringement, Apple awarded nearly $1.05B [u]

Comments

• Reply 401 of 446

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe it was not as direct. Maybe it is because it only posted 2 hours ago when most of AI's readers are sleeping. Or maybe most AI readers are not checking up on tech news because it's a Saturday.

It is a racist comment but it also comes across as a very weak insult. Perhaps your racism is forceful and direct thus allowing for a more forceful and direct reply from others.

I don't know, if someone called blacks in America a epithet related to stereotyped food choices they would be promptly eviscerated. (I could get specific, but it would be insulting, you can fill in the blank for yourself, ____-eating African Americans)

• Reply 402 of 446

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonimo View Post

With many respect. Why you Americans are happy of this? Samsung is not affecting you as consumers because you are 100% free of chose the product you want, so if you don't like Samsung, just ignore it. Personally I like Samsung because it is the best manofacturer with the best hardware for Android, and I love Android because it provides me a freedom that IOS doesn't give me. In the other hand, maybe some of you can say that you are happy because Apple is 100% american and that is good for your economy, but Google and Motorola are also American and you hate their products too.

Personally and with a huge respect to the Apple community I can say that I dont like IOS because their antisharing policies and their lack of customization and for that reason I think Android is superior.

I also think that getting happy because of this is a like be happy of to have less choises to select.

If you reply to my message, please remember that i was friendly, so I as a fan of Android expect the same from you.

Regards...

It affects all of us.Do you think it is OK for Apple to invest millions (billions?) of dollars in design, innovation, creativity and testing and then have someone copy their work? You think it's right that Samsung can then profit from Apple's investment? If companies cannot protect that investment they won't bother innovating. Then we all lose. I have no doubt Samsung innovate in many areas too but in this instance they took the short cut - theft.

• Reply 403 of 446
    jragosta wrote: »
    ros3ntan wrote: »
    I dont think the lawsuit here is about ios and android. Its about how samsung phones look like iphone.

That's not entirely true. Apple won a number of utility patent claims for things like bounce-back and pinch-to-zoom. Those are part of iOS and any of those patented technologies that are in Android could lead to a lawsuit against Google.
    ros3ntan wrote: »
    And i dont understand the freedom you are talking about. I use both android and iphone at the same time. I think there are things the iphone is good at and android better at. Samsung can always go the htc way. They are not being sued because they look like iphones.

Actually, they were. The largest amount of damages was for Samsung's infringement of Apple's design patents. So, to an extent, they were sued because their products looked like iPhones - at least in the details that were covered in the design patents.

It also appears that you're contradicting yourself. First you claim:
    "I dont think the lawsuit here is about ios and android. Its about how samsung phones look like iphone."

Then you claim:
    "They are not being sued because they look like iphones."

So which is it?

I should clarify that htc is not being sued for how it looks physically. They are being sued because of the pinch and zoom you are talking about.

As for samsung, i stand corrected.
  • Reply 404 of 446
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't know, if someone called blacks in America a epithet related to stereotyped food choices they would be promptly eviscerated. (I could get specific, but it would be insulting, you can fill in the blank for yourself, ____-eating African Americans)

Some things certainly do evoke an emotion more easily than other comments. It's quite interesting how it works because, as a "white" American, my culture and upbringing makes me uncomfortable for using the word nigger even if just in a discussion without any derogatory usage or intent. It's oddly acceptable to instead use n-word but they mean the same thing.

It's a collection of letters when written or a vocalized utterance that vibrates bones in the ears a certain way when spoken. Neither of which are cursed, magical, or can do harm in and of themselves until we give them power.

It's an interesting thing to have one person say that even writing the word nigger is racist even if you supply no context and clearly have no derogatroy intent and have that same person say it's not racist, bigoted or hateful to call Asians slant-eyed dog eaters simply because it could be true. These types of people disgust me.
  • Reply 405 of 446
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gmanmac wrote: »
    What's racist about saying Koreans eat dogs? It's true and it's disgusting. I'd say they same about any other "race" that eats dogs. They don't get a pass cause it's their culture. It's a grotesque part of their culture and deserves all the derision that can be heaped on it. I think it says a lot about any culture or people that would eat man's best friend.

BTW the Swiss do it too and it's just as disgusting, inhumane and deserving of derision that they do.

Says who? If you eat pork every Jewish and Muslim person thinks that it's disgusting and the Hindus don't eat beef.
  • Reply 406 of 446

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Some things certainly do evoke an emotion more easily than other comments. It's quite interesting how it works because, as a "white" American, my culture and upbringing makes me uncomfortable for using the word nigger even if just in a discussion without any derogatory usage or intent. It's oddly acceptable to instead use n-word but they mean the same thing.

It's a collection of letters when written or a vocalized utterance that vibrates bones in the ears a certain way when spoken. Neither of which are cursed, magical, or can do harm in and of themselves until we give them power.

It's an interesting thing to have one person say that even writing the word nigger is racist even if you supply no context and clearly have no derogatroy intent and have that same person say it's not racist, bigoted or hateful to call Asians slant-eyed dog eaters simply because it could be true. These types of people disgust me.

Calling someone slant eyed is racists cause it focuses on a physical characteristic of a certain people in a demeaning or derogatory way.  Pointing out that a value --Swiss or Korean value and belief system that thinks it;s ok to butcher dogs for lunch is in no way racist.  And it is most certainly true and widespread. Offending someone because you vehemently disagree with their beliefs or cultural practices is in no way racist and as a society we're too afraid to say anything anymore because we might "offend" someone. Well I'm offended at the thought of people finding it acceptable to slice a dog's throat and skin and BBQ him. It says much to me about the value system of people we are dealing with. Same to a lesser extent that they see no wrong in brazzingly ripping off Apple's blood, sweat, and tears.  Anyway this is isn't the place for this and I'm out of this thread.

• Reply 407 of 446
    I'm not a massive Apple fanboy - I actually own more Microsoft stuff than I do Apple - but I myself am full of utter glee that Apple has pretty much won this case! I knew Samsung was in trouble when I saw the Galaxy Tab 10.1 sitting next to a Black iPad 2 in Currys one day. I was with my dad picking out a new stereo for him and he pointed to the sammy and went "that new iPad looks nice!" - I went "oh yeah it is", I then had to double take when I realised he was pointing at the Samsung because at first glance from two feet away I thought it was an iPad 2 with a different wallpaper (it was open on the app drawer).

Seeing the pictures on the internet is one thing, seeing them side by side on full display in a shop was just scary.

Someone's not paying attention. Apple didn't win the part about the Galaxy Tab.
  • Reply 408 of 446

Apple have won the first court battle, great. The question now comes, can they win the PR battle? The rubbish about Apple trying to 'own rectangles with round corners' is STILL being spouted, post verdict, by Samsung. The trouble is, if you say things enough times people will believe it. Ultimately 1$B may be very small compensation for a shift in public perception. Samsung have proved they like to 'fight dirty'.

• Reply 409 of 446

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Ok, I'll be the arbitrator between you two and settle this.

Yes, he was technically wrong in saying that Samsung didn't win a single point. It won a couple of points and Apple won like 127. Now that that's settled, we can all move on. image

But, they didn't win any money.

• Reply 410 of 446
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Surely this will deteriorate into an off-topic land quite rapidly. Oh...hell...,you say people who eat dog are "disgusting" and culturally "grotesque". I would like to ask you eating which slaughtered animals are acceptable and not "disgusting" or culturally "grotesque" to you? Snails? Rabbits? Horses? Pigs? Snakes? Cows? Or, to simplify things a little, what makes dogs so special that, to you, eating them to be considered as "disgusting" and culturally "grotesque"? If your excuse is the fact that dogs are pets, you should try again because that reasoning is rather weak and inconsistent. If in your mind pets can only be dogs and perhaps cats, you'll be surprised that there are many other different animals being considered as pets by people all over the world. So, what they consider as pets can actually be what you normally eat.

If you consider eating beef as not "disgusting" and not culturally "grotesque". You can start asking the majority of Indian people who follow Hinduism which believes that cow is sacred and to be revered. So, to hindus, numbering around 1 billion of them, eating beef is an abomination, but to you is nothing more than enjoying that special slab of juicy prime steak at a famous restaurant one Saturday night.

I, for once, asked some Korean friends of mine about their reasoning behind eating dog meats. Almost apologetically, they all say that not all Koreans eat dog meats, but many of them at some point in their lives had eaten dog meats at one point or another. During the hottest days of the summer, unfortunately nicknamed in many cultures as "the dog days of summer", many Koreans do eat dog meat for its body nourishment value. It is directly related to one of those taoism believe of the Yin and Yang. The hottest days of summer are considered to be a "Yang". Dog meats known in traditional medicine books as having a very hot/fiery property, so that it is considered as a "Yang" as well. So, during summer hottest days, Koreans decide to fight fire with fire. They are inducing their bodies to cope with the summer heat by "acclimatizing" their bodies by double dosaging on "Yang" elements. Many of them seems to believe that this "ritual" helps them survive the summer heat. There was a mention that only certain breeds of dogs are being raised for their meat. South Korean government has also try to label dog meat as gross for human consumption and prohibit its sale at public markets. So, yes, like you said, many Koreans are eating dog meats, but it is not as pervasive as in the past. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by GmanMac View Post

What's racist about saying Koreans eat dogs? It's true and it's disgusting. I'd say they same about any other "race" that eats dogs. They don't get a pass cause it's their culture. It's a grotesque part of their culture and deserves all the derision that can be heaped on it. I think it says a lot about any culture or people that would eat man's best friend.

BTW the Swiss do it too and it's just as disgusting, inhumane and deserving of derision that they do.

• Reply 411 of 446
    Apple have won the first court battle, great. The question now comes, can they win the PR battle? The rubbish about Apple trying to 'own rectangles with round corners' is STILL being spouted, post verdict, by Samsung. The trouble is, if you say things enough times people will believe it. Ultimately 1$B may be very small compensation for a shift in public perception. Samsung have proved they like to 'fight dirty'.

Again the whole "rectangle with rounded corners" was mostly directed at the iPad vs Galaxy Tab 10.1. Apple didn't win that part so that point is pretty much moot now.
  • Reply 412 of 446

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonimo View Post

With many respect. Why you Americans are happy of this? Samsung is not affecting you as consumers because you are 100% free of chose the product you want, so if you don't like Samsung, just ignore it. Personally I like Samsung because it is the best manofacturer with the best hardware for Android, and I love Android because it provides me a freedom that IOS doesn't give me. In the other hand, maybe some of you can say that you are happy because Apple is 100% american and that is good for your economy, but Google and Motorola are also American and you hate their products too.

Personally and with a huge respect to the Apple community I can say that I dont like IOS because their antisharing policies and their lack of customization and for that reason I think Android is superior.

I also think that getting happy because of this is a like be happy of to have less choises to select.

If you reply to my message, please remember that i was friendly, so I as a fan of Android expect the same from you.

Regards...

Whether we like or dislike a company largely has nothing to do with country of origin. What the companies do with respect to each other and to their customers matters more.

You're actually going to have more choices because Samsung will have to go back to the drawing board and design something original, instead of slavishly copying Apple. If you really think copying Apple equals "more choice" then would you (or someone else) please explain that?

• Reply 413 of 446

One moment...

• Reply 414 of 446

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcode View Post

I'll see your static image, and raise you a gif:

• Reply 415 of 446
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Again the whole "rectangle with rounded corners" was mostly directed at the iPad vs Galaxy Tab 10.1. Apple didn't win that part so that point is pretty much moot now.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Unfortunately, while many of us on this forum may know the difference, many Android-based smartphone proponents are reiterating Samsung's talking points as often as possible.

I applaud the verdict and the long fought battle Apple has won but fear Samsung may win the war as their mindless minions support their cause without understanding the cause and effect of events on a grand scale.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Samsung appeared to be unconcerned with the trial and far more concerned about publicity.  Samsung is clearly playing a different game but I can't discern which game they are playing.  The court of public opinion may ultimately be far more important than federal court.

• Reply 416 of 446
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    mausz wrote: »
    First off, I really like Windows Phone, my wife has a lumia 800 and it's really different and very nice to use....but....

It has a slide to unlock, pinch-to-zoom in the pictures library and a bouncy effect when you scroll a list too far...

Apple and MS have cross-patent deal which, to my understanding, enables them to use each others ideas, as long as there is no blatant cloning involved.

To my understanding, that should mean that, since iOS and WP OS have quite different concept, look and feel, using specific elements is acceptable. If and what elements Apple is using from MS portfolio, I wouldn't know.
  • Reply 417 of 446
    radarradar Posts: 271member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

[1] Do you care to give examples of your statement [one in bold face]? Koreans in particular sees Americans as their saviors during the Korean War. 

[2] The US regimes which had catered and pampered many iron fist dictators in the past, the likes of Saddam Hussein, Pinochet, Suharto, Marcos, Shah Iran, and others, had also produced Park Chung Hee.

[3] Present day Koreans are among the most highly educated populace in the world. Imagine this:

[4] It takes 40 years for the Japanese to rebuild itself after being demolished by the great war and become one of the leading countries in the world at the forefront of industry and technology. But, it takes South Korea even less time than the Japanese to raise itself from the ashes of Korean War, from one of the poorest countries in the world in the late 1950's, to become an industrial powerhouse. South Korean currently ranks as the 12th largest economy in the world. For all of these progresses, South Koreans. old and young, feel that they are deeply indebted to the US. 

May I?

Some of your above comments regarding Koreans' attitudes to the west, and in particular the US, might have had a lot more relevance in 1999. But today (in fact, since the Anton Ohno era around 2000) a new generation has assumed the mainstream of thought in Korea, a generation raised in comparative luxury on the sweat of their parents and grandparents who lived through hard times and the war. In general it's the older Koreans who remember the sacrifices of the United Nations forces and the western massive industrial/scientific/economic aid, while many of the younger generation are flag-waving xenophobes (see point 4 below).

[1] Do you really think Korea can hide the ongoing massive demonstrations against the US? Anyone, just google "anti-US demonstrations + Korea" and you'll see and read about the scale of these, ripping up huge American flags and all—these demonstrations attract hundreds of thousands of people if not more. There is in fact a massive popular movement (not just 'fringe groups') to end the American military alliance, you can google that too. The older generation sometimes counter demonstrate, but their numbers are significantly smaller and they're dying off. 

[2] True, I'm ashamed to say. 

[3] Sorry, that's a myth created by the Korean press. Korean schools and universities are well known to artificially inflate grades so that they look better compared to a) each other and b) foreigners. It's not uncommon for poor students to be bumped ahead and for entire schools to have a zero-fail rate even if they have 3000 students or more (which in the west is impossible). In addition, Korea has not a single top 50 university in the world rankings (the much better educated Americans, Europeans, Canadians, Australians and Japanese do much better) http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html. What Korea does have is the hagwan system of cram schools where parents send their kids to learn rote recitation of facts and established formulae any fool can look up in a book. If you call that education I'd call that pretty sad. This lack of originality in education is evident in Korea's dismal showing in science and medicine Nobels (they have exactly none) and Maths prizes like the Fields medal (again, Korea has never won a single one), possibly making them the only OECD nation not to make the cut. Ever. Again, Korea's 'great education' system is a total myth, it's a Confucian system built on regurgitating the innovations of others (and in science, that usually means foreigners). Hence it's easy to see why CEOs at Samsung have no problem with blatantly ripping off foreign companies - they've been trained to do it since they were young. If that sounds hard it's only because it's true. Are some Koreans very smart? Sure, just like some people from any country. But their education system sucks, which is why Korean parents will do almost anything to get their kids into western universities.

[4] This is massive stretch of the facts, the "Miracle of the Han' as Koreas are happy to tell gullible foreigners who visit their country, was in fact only possible at all because of American, European, and Japanese technology transfers, foreign expertise, industrial espionage (not to mention war reparations and foreign aid money, POSCO being a case in point) and cold war politics which fostered an American reluctance to prosecute Korean patent infringement. Do some older Koreans recognize this? Yes. But many of the younger generation have been brainwashed to believe Koreans actually did this on their own because of their 'superior education' (see point 3, above).

• Reply 418 of 446

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar View Post

May I?

Some of your above comments regarding Koreans' attitudes to the west, and in particular the US, might have had a lot more relevance in 1999. But today (in fact, since the Anton Ohno era around 2000) a new generation has assumed the mainstream of thought in Korea, a generation raised in comparative luxury on the sweat of their parents and grandparents who lived through hard times and the war. In general it's the older Koreans who remember the sacrifices of the United Nations forces and the western massive industrial/scientific/economic aid, while many of the younger generation are flag-waving xenophobes (see point 4 below).

[1] Do you really think Korea can hide the ongoing massive demonstrations against the US? Anyone, just google "anti-US demonstrations + Korea" and you'll see and read about the scale of these, ripping up huge American flags and all—these demonstrations attract hundreds of thousands of people if not more. There is in fact a massive popular movement (not just 'fringe groups') to end the American military alliance, you can google that too. The older generation sometimes counter demonstrate, but their numbers are significantly smaller and they're dying off. 

[2] True, I'm ashamed to say. 

[3] Sorry, that's a myth created by the Korean press. Korean schools and universities are well known to artificially inflate grades so that they look better compared to a) each other and b) foreigners. It's not uncommon for poor students to be bumped ahead and for entire schools to have a zero-fail rate even if they have 3000 students or more (which in the west is impossible). In addition, Korea has not a single top 50 university in the world rankings (the much better educated Americans, Europeans, Canadians, Australians and Japanese do much better) http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html. What Korea does have is the hagwan system of cram schools where parents send their kids to learn rote recitation of facts and established formulae any fool can look up in a book. If you call that education I'd call that pretty sad. This lack of originality in education is evident in Korea's dismal showing in science and medicine Nobels (they have exactly none) and Maths prizes like the Fields medal (again, Korea has never won a single one), possibly making them the only OECD nation not to make the cut. Ever. Again, Korea's 'great education' system is a total myth, it's a Confucian system built on regurgitating the innovations of others (and in science, that usually means foreigners). Hence it's easy to see why CEOs at Samsung have no problem with blatantly ripping off foreign companies - they've been trained to do it since they were young. If that sounds hard it's only because it's true. Are some Koreans very smart? Sure, just like some people from any country. But their education system sucks, which is why Korean parents will do almost anything to get their kids into western universities.

[4] This is massive stretch of the facts, the "Miracle of the Han' as Koreas are happy to tell gullible foreigners who visit their country, was in fact only possible at all because of American, European, and Japanese technology transfers, foreign expertise, industrial espionage (not to mention war reparations and foreign aid money, POSCO being a case in point) and cold war politics which fostered an American reluctance to prosecute Korean patent infringement. Do some older Koreans recognize this? Yes. But many of the younger generation have been brainwashed to believe Koreans actually did this on their own because of their 'superior education' (see point 3, above).

There's nothing wrong with what Korean companies like Samsung have done.  Historically, the US copied the industrial revolution from England.  And Europe for centuries copied inventions from Asia.  It's ridiculous to think that east asian countries should spend money on R&D to reinvent things.  Plus, many of these technology transfers mentioned above were bought and paid for.  Western compannies continue to make a lot of money from these royalty payments.

As for this case, it seems to me that Samsung paid a small price to become what it is now the second biggest smart phone maker so I don't know why people are being so jubillent here.  Samsung hasn't gone away, and they will continue to make huge profits. 

• Reply 419 of 446
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Oh, this is just the beginning!

Bleh! I probably won't care as much when the new Mac mini and iMac come out but I want new news on Apple products not lawsuits. Good thing Intel always has positive stuff on their future plans.
  • Reply 420 of 446
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenadams View Post

There's nothing wrong with what Korean companies like Samsung have done.  

This is a joke right? Nothing legally wrong? Well the court has given you the answer on that. Nothing morally wrong? I hope someone comes to your house and steals everything in it and when you complain to the police they show you what you've written here.

People that don't get that what Samsung did was wrong have something seriously wrong with their brains. And Samsung did it to a company that trusted them and was partnering with them. A douchebag company who have only douchebag apologists. I am so glad that someone passed them the note that said "hey, this was wrong."