HTC has no intention to settle with Apple in wake of Samsung loss

Comments

• Reply 41 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well you're gonna die waiting and why would you want to see that?

Quardra won't have long to wait. He has cancer. newbee already went ahead to see Saint Peter and he is not far down on the list.

He drops hints several time on the board he is about the same age with Wozniac, do the math.

• Reply 42 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, it's kind of tiresome to hear that "Apple is going to licence their stuff to Android" crap on every article lately.  

Apple has a long history in this regard, they almost always stick to the same rules and they haven't changed.  They even went on the record and in great detail about how they decide these sorts of issues during the recent trial.  

1) The bulk of their patents they are willing to licence to anyone that asks, basically on FRAND or close to FRANd terms. 

2) The cool things like gestures and tricky hardware things that no one else does, are simply not shared.  Ever. 

The one exception is that they were so fed up with Samsung's copying they actually offered to violate this long standing rule and licence the rubber-banding and so forth to Samsung.  That's how pissed they were and how anxious they were to avoid this trial.  

The idea that Apple is now going to be making the rounds asking for money from Android for their core stuff is laughable.  It won't happen and I wish Apple Insider would stop implying that it will.  

I disagree on only one of your points... they offered to license to Samsung because Samsung is a MASSIVE vendor to Apple on vital components to Apple.

• Reply 43 of 171
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

When you make statements like that, are you willing to acknowledge what Apple took from Android, or will you pass that off as "prior art", "stolen from WebOS", "existed in XYZ", etc?

Do you really believe Apple above those statements? Where do you think the Notification Shade came from?

And did Google, in their infinite wisdom, patent its precursor to Notification Shade?

Or did Google just push out an update ASAP, cross their fingers, close their eyes, and say "Here goes nothing!"

Because that's what they seem to be doing most of the time.  "Legal shmegal.  Ship now, ask questions later."

• Reply 44 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fairthrope wrote: »
    In what way and which one?

They took the playbook from Samsung and whatthey have with One series don't look like iOS now. Anyone still has older HTC, such as Sensation and Desire series, could you give it a whirl and get me up to speed?

AND, why Apple would bother with a minnow with iPhone 5 and iPad mini deadlines are this close. Can we come back at HTC after January Sales?

HTC had to remove the clickable phone number, meaning if in a text whether an email/web page/sms has a phone number in it, one used to be able to click on it and get a menu to either copy, call, or text. HTC had to remove that because it infringed on a Apple patent.
  • Reply 45 of 171
    sockrolid wrote: »
    And did Google, in their infinite wisdom, patent its precursor to Notification Shade?

Or did Google just push out an update ASAP, cross their fingers, close their eyes, and say "Here goes nothing!"
    Because that's what they seem to be doing most of the time.  "Legal shmegal.  Ship now, ask questions later."

Patent pending
  • Reply 46 of 171

Quote:

I'm absolutely serious.

Why are consumers forced to use a proprietary OS on a mobile phone? Dual core, quad core SoCs, GB(s) of RAM and GB(s) of storage.

Would you buy a MacBook if you knew that you'd be stuck on Mountain Lion and never able to upgrade? It's your laptop. You can install whatever you want on it. 

Our current model doesn't support this, and every two years, as contracts expire, we toss cell phones out the door and go buy a new model on contract. It's tremendously wasteful and completely unnecessary.

But why Java-based feature phones don't have this problem and are being rebuilt and re-sold five or six times per handset today?

Nokia and Motorolla handsets can be rebuilt and sold and last up to 15-16 years before they have to be melted down fore materials. Can first-gen iPhone repeat that feat when we come back to take a look in 2022?

• Reply 47 of 171
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

When you make statements like that, are you willing to acknowledge what Apple took from Android, or will you pass that off as "prior art", "stolen from WebOS", "existed in XYZ", etc?

Do you really believe Apple above those statements? Where do you think the Notification Shade came from?

I love how almost every pro-Android and anti-Apple innovation always come back to the 'notification bar. Fucking amazing. As if this ONE gesture, compared to the very concept of the modern smartphone and the millions of details, large and small, that have been 'inspired' by Apple's iPhone, makes it a wash or something. 

• Reply 48 of 171
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love how almost every pro-Android and anti-Apple innovation always come back to the 'notification bar. Fucking amazing. As if this ONE gesture, compared to the very concept of the modern smartphone and the millions of details, large and small, that have been 'inspired' by Apple's iPhone, makes it a wash or something. 

What's the difference? It's a huge, glaring point stamped right on Apple: They took the Notification Bar from Android.

If you're going to make the arguments of "don't steal, don't copy, invent your own tech, etc." then you're being hypocritical because of that single instance. Any more would only further the point.

That's why you continue to hear it, and you'll continue to hear it--because it's a perfect example of hypocrisy.

• Reply 49 of 171
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetMan View Post

I disagree on only one of your points... they offered to license to Samsung because Samsung is a MASSIVE vendor to Apple on vital components to Apple.

They're a massive component supplier for Apple at the moment.  But that can and will change over time.

Plenty of component makers out there (Sharp, TSMC, LG, etc.) willing to join the Apple gravy train.

And why would Apple want to wean itself off Samsung dependency?  Because they can't be trusted any more.  With anything.

If Apple asks Samsung's chip foundry to do a test run on a new Ax chip, the chip division will leak the specs to the mobile division.

If Apple asks Samsung's flat panel screen division to make a few prototypes, the screen division will leak the specs to the mobile division.

It would be like Apple giving their next-gen device specs to a competitor.  Their only successful competitor.  Bad idea.

• Reply 50 of 171
    slurpy wrote: »

Can't blame them for using the little ammo they have.
  • Reply 51 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

But why Java-based feature phones don't have this problem and are being rebuilt and re-sold five or six times per handset today?

Nokia and Motorolla handsets can be rebuilt and sold and last up to 15-16 years before they have to be melted down fore materials. Can first-gen iPhone repeat that feat when we come back to take a look in 2022?

Yeah, the concept is frustrating to me. The idea that we toss smartphones out every two years seems like a tremendous waste in my mind.

As an example, when Windows Phone 8 comes out, no Windows Phone 7 device will see the upgrade. That's terrible. Windows Phone 7 hardware is more than capable.

• Reply 52 of 171

Quote:

Can't blame them for using the little ammo they have.

That's a nice way of skirting the issue.

Your sig is rather fitting. Do you consider it seriously before making statements like the one above?

• Reply 53 of 171
    sockrolid wrote: »
    They're a massive component supplier for Apple at the moment.  But that can and will change over time.
    Plenty of component makers out there (Sharp, TSMC, LG, etc.) willing to join the Apple gravy train.

And why would Apple want to wean itself off Samsung dependency?  Because they can't be trusted any more.  With anything.
    If Apple asks Samsung's chip foundry to do a test run on a new Ax chip, the chip division will leak the specs to the mobile division.
    If Apple asks Samsung's flat panel screen division to make a few prototypes, the screen division will leak the specs to the mobile division.
    It would be like Apple giving their next-gen device specs to a competitor.  Their only successful competitor.  Bad idea.

And what would stop LG and Sharp from doing the same?
  • Reply 54 of 171

Warm up the lawyers. And don't forget the Mountain View Ad Company.

• Reply 55 of 171
    shidell wrote: »
    That's a nice way of skirting the issue.

Your sig is rather fitting. Do you consider it seriously before making statements like the one above?

How is that skirting the issue? You asked a question and I gave a very reasonable answer.
  • Reply 56 of 171

Quote:

How is that skirting the issue? You asked a question and I gave a very reasonable answer.

You said, "Can't blame them for using what little ammo they have."

Skirting the issue is saying, "You know what, this point doesn't matter, because for whatever reason, it's inconsequential."

You cannot make statements like "don't copy/steal, innovate on your own, etc." and simply ignore Apple taking the Notification Shade from Android.

• Reply 57 of 171
    shidell wrote: »

Skirting the issue is saying, "You know what, this point doesn't matter, because for whatever reason, it's inconsequential."

You cannot make statements like "don't copy/steal, innovate on your own, etc." and simply ignore Apple taking the Notification Shade from Android.

And exactly what my sig says a fanatic isn't going to change his mind. People that make statements like that will never give Android any credit for having a good ideas. If you watch Boardwalk Empire you'd know that not every insult needs a response.
  • Reply 58 of 171
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

I agree. I think Apple should be licensing its patents and they licensed iOS patents to MSFT. I'm not sure what's wrong with HTC and Samsung...

• Reply 59 of 171
    adonissmu wrote: »
    I agree. I think Apple should be licensing its patents and they licensed iOS patents to MSFT. I'm not sure what's wrong with HTC and Samsung...

You can forget that. Apple and MS have long been frenemies. They've been at each others throat for so long that when a third party arises they band together to get rid of him and then go back to fighting each other.
  • Reply 60 of 171
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member

Quote:

I'm absolutely serious.

Why are consumers forced to use a proprietary OS on a mobile phone? Dual core, quad core SoCs, GB(s) of RAM and GB(s) of storage.

Would you buy a MacBook if you knew that you'd be stuck on Mountain Lion and never able to upgrade? It's your laptop. You can install whatever you want on it. 

Our current model doesn't support this, and every two years, as contracts expire, we toss cell phones out the door and go buy a new model on contract. It's tremendously wasteful and completely unnecessary.

Apple's genius, in part, is that they finally realized that the majority of the phone-buying public doesn't CARE about tinkering with the workings in their phone, installing a different OS (other than updates), dual-core, GBs, RAM or any other tech issue!  They want to play Angry Birds, make phone calls, text pics to each other.  And after two years, they like tossing their old phones and getting new ones.

Period.

It's tough for us geeks who hang out on websites like this to realize this, but most people just want their phone to work.  You're assertions may or may not be correct, but either way they are irrelevant to the majority of the people who own smart phones.