HTC has no intention to settle with Apple in wake of Samsung loss

Comments

• Reply 101 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Almost as different as a laptop and a desktop.

DOH!!!
  • Reply 102 of 171
    Almost as different as a laptop and a desktop.

Fixed. Thank you.
  • Reply 103 of 171
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Death to HTC! Death to Samsung! Death to Microsoft! Death to RIM!

/Fitting right in here.

All too well for my tastes, alas......

• Reply 104 of 171

Quadra, weren't you known as LTD on MacRumors?

• Reply 105 of 171
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

What's the difference? It's a huge, glaring point stamped right on Apple: They took the Notification Bar from Android.

If you're going to make the arguments of "don't steal, don't copy, invent your own tech, etc." then you're being hypocritical because of that single instance. Any more would only further the point.

That's why you continue to hear it, and you'll continue to hear it--because it's a perfect example of hypocrisy.

My 2008 iPhone 3G had a bright green "notification bar" across the top of the screen, when accessing other menus during multitasking while on a call, a zero length swipe would cause the in call menu to drop back down.

The same thing happens when tethering except the "notification bar" is blue.

So if  Android is "open", why can't Apple use whatever they want, just like Google uses Apple's open WebKit?

Is it because Android's "openness" is nothing more than bullshit marketing spin?

• Reply 106 of 171
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Nah . . . the poster above him said something *really* inappropriate, and dasanman thought it might be true and thought it right to apologize. I then told him that the poster he was quoting was  . . . wrong . . . to say the least. So dasanman quickly took back the apology, so as to minimize his participation in what turned out to be absurd.  

So, no worries.

Ah, OK. That makes a lot more sense now. That's the problem with coming into a thread on page three.
  • Reply 107 of 171
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    shidell wrote: »
    I'm absolutely serious.

Why are consumers forced to use a proprietary OS on a mobile phone? Dual core, quad core SoCs, GB(s) of RAM and GB(s) of storage.

Would you buy a MacBook if you knew that you'd be stuck on Mountain Lion and never able to upgrade? It's your laptop. You can install whatever you want on it. 

Our current model doesn't support this, and every two years, as contracts expire, we toss cell phones out the door and go buy a new model on contract. It's tremendously wasteful and completely unnecessary.

But it's not useless. Because updates aren't made for a device anymore doesn't turn it into a brick. My buddy used my iPhone 3G last winter, which was a five year old model at the time. He even managed to buy new apps for it.

If people throw them away, that is their own personal choice. As it is, Apple is leading the way to technical longevity when a device is still supported with OS updates two to three years after the device's original introduction.
  • Reply 108 of 171
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Probably a smart move on HTC's part given that the Jury Forman in the Samsung trail has now disclosed that he had litte-to-no idea what 'Prior Art' meant or how to instruct fellow jurers how to assest such a claim.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120828225612963

[I]"The foreman in the Apple v. Samsung trial has now done an interview with Bloomberg News, giving him an opportunity to answer some of the criticisms of the verdict. It's a video on YouTube, titled "Apple Jury Foreman: Here's How We Reached a Verdict", and while he answers the criticisms, he describes how the jury, under his instructions, decided that the Samsung prior art didn't invalidate an Apple patent. In doing so, I think he has revealed the biggest mistake of all made by the jury, one so large I don't believe it can be ignored. At a minimum, Apple shouldn't want to win like this. His aha moment, as he calls it, and assuming what he says on the video is accurate, was based on a misunderstanding of what constitutes prior art. "[/I]

Apple's going to press their luck with all this nonsense and end up getting half of their patents invalidated.
  • Reply 109 of 171
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Quadra, weren't you known as LTD on MacRumors?

Yes indeed. 

• Reply 110 of 171

Quote:

What kind of an argument is this? Is your argument not that Android doesn't invent, and takes everything from Apple? Does that mean that it is OK for Apple to take something from Android, just because it's open? Design cues, UI and all?

You don't think that's hypocritical?

The Notification Shade is an integral part of Android, and it was present in 1.0. There was no such thing in a jailbroken iPhone before that, it was added as a feature when someone said, "You know, that makes a lot of sense" and implemented a solution mimicking it.

How come iPhone's don't have tiny little icons across the top bar of the screen, indicating the presence of notifications?

Oh, yeah because they didn't copy Android or use their "open" source code.

So what's it to be, Android is "open" like WebKit or Android is not "open" like WebKit?

If it is not "open" like webkit, why has Google been lying?

• Reply 111 of 171
    hill60 wrote: »
    My 2008 iPhone 3G had a bright green "notification bar" across the top of the screen, when accessing other menus during multitasking while on a call, a zero length swipe would cause the in call menu to drop back down.

The same thing happens when tethering except the "notification bar" is blue.

So if  Android is "open", why can't Apple use whatever they want, just like Google uses Apple's open WebKit?

Is it because Android's "openness" is nothing more than bullshit marketing spin?

A zero length swipe is called a tap just like a zero length caress to the face is called a punch.
  • Reply 112 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes indeed. 

And just to add, I think our very own DaHarder is . . .

http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=86239

Could be wrong, though . . .  oh well. 

• Reply 113 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes indeed. 

What happened that you got banned? I thought you made a lot of great points.

• Reply 114 of 171
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Ah, OK. That makes a lot more sense now. That's the problem with coming into a thread on page three.

Now your turn to take it back.
  • Reply 115 of 171

Probably because of all the epitaphs he used during his great point making, only kidding, I've tried going on those other sites. The posters here are much better mannered and more intelligent.
  • Reply 116 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Probably a smart move on HTC's part given that the Jury Forman in the Samsung trail has now disclosed that he had litte-to-no idea what 'Prior Art' meant or how to instruct fellow jurers how to assest such a claim.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120828225612963

"The foreman in the Apple v. Samsung trial has now done an interview with Bloomberg News, giving him an opportunity to answer some of the criticisms of the verdict. It's a video on YouTube, titled "Apple Jury Foreman: Here's How We Reached a Verdict", and while he answers the criticisms, he describes how the jury, under his instructions, decided that the Samsung prior art didn't invalidate an Apple patent. In doing so, I think he has revealed the biggest mistake of all made by the jury, one so large I don't believe it can be ignored. At a minimum, Apple shouldn't want to win like this. His aha moment, as he calls it, and assuming what he says on the video is accurate, was based on a misunderstanding of what constitutes prior art. "

Apple's going to press their luck with all this nonsense and end up getting half of their patents invalidated.

You make the strangest prognostications, in that they never come true.

• Reply 117 of 171
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

And just to add, I think our very own DaHarder is . . .

http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=86239

Could be wrong, though . . .  oh well. 

Nope... and you might want to seriously stop even trying to 'think' as it's clearly not your forte.
  • Reply 118 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

A lil' off topic but CNET is pimping Samsung's Gallery Note 2 today. 

http://asia.cnet.com/product/samsung-galaxy-note-2-46728194.htm

When I voted "Not for me" in the poll CNET presented a dialogue box offering "Change your Vote?" When I clicked "No Thanks" the vote didn't register.

:/

They fixed, I saw the same thing you saw.

• Reply 119 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Ask the mods over there why they allow the level of trolling they do. MR is a haven for anti-Apple trolls that *actually* spend their time camping an Apple-centric website. 

When enough of them whine because they have nothing left in the tank, the mods respond. 

Simple as that. The mods need to address the concerns of those hitting the report button. When it's all the trolls doing it, the result is inevitable. 

• Reply 120 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Nope... and you might want to seriously stop even trying to 'think' as it's clearly not your forte.

I'm wondering why you've chosen to camp an Apple website. 

You make a lot of the same glaring grammatical and spelling errors that the other troll makes. 

Sometimes it's hard to tell trolls apart. 

*shrugs*