HTC has no intention to settle with Apple in wake of Samsung loss

Comments

• Reply 61 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mactoid wrote: »
    Apple's genius, in part, is that they finally realized that the majority of the phone-buying public doesn't CARE about tinkering with the workings in their phone, installing a different OS (other than updates), dual-core, GBs, RAM or any other tech issue!  They want to play Angry Birds, make phone calls, text pics to each other.  And after two years, they like tossing their old phones and getting new ones.

Period.

It's tough for us geeks who hang out on websites like this to realize this, but most people just want their phone to work.  You're assertions may or may not be correct, but either way they are irrelevant to the majority of the people who own smart phones.

Why toss out the old phone when you can sell it for and get the new phone without coming out of pocket?
  • Reply 62 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    shidell wrote: »
    You said, "Can't blame them for using what little ammo they have."

Skirting the issue is saying, "You know what, this point doesn't matter, because for whatever reason, it's inconsequential."

You cannot make statements like "don't copy/steal, innovate on your own, etc." and simply ignore Apple taking the Notification Shade from Android.

I don't know as I have never visited one, hence I am asking. Are Android blog sites full of Apple lovers doing nothing but posting anti Android comments all day?
  • Reply 63 of 171
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

HTC isn't copying Apple.

HTC isn't copying their computers.

HTC isn't copying their mail clients.

HTC isn't copying their Dock.

HTC isn't copying their background images.

HTC isn't copying Apple.

• Reply 64 of 171
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HTC isn't copying Apple.

HTC isn't copying Apple.

Apple isn't copying Android's Notification Shade.

Cry me a river.

• Reply 65 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    You said, "Can't blame them for using what little ammo they have."

Skirting the issue is saying, "You know what, this point doesn't matter, because for whatever reason, it's inconsequential."

You cannot make statements like "don't copy/steal, innovate on your own, etc." and simply ignore Apple taking the Notification Shade from Android.

Even if that were true (and there's plenty of evidence that it's not), do you not understand the difference between taking something that the owner is freely giving away vs taking something without compensation that the owner has elected NOT to give away?
  • Reply 66 of 171

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Apple isn't copying Android's Notification Shade.

Cry me a river.

When you get close to an argument, let us know.

????

• Reply 67 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    LL
    LL

HTC isn't copying Apple.
    HTC isn't copying Apple.

That looks very different from an iPad and can no one now line up icons on the bottom of a screen? I'll say heavily inspired but I don't see an outright copy.
  • Reply 68 of 171

Quote:

When you get close to an argument, let us know.

????

That is my argument, you simply have no answer for it, so you resort to this.

It's my second-favorite part of this place; making you eat your own words, and resort to childish tactics when you're pushed into a corner.

Keep on keepin' on.

• Reply 69 of 171
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

HTC isn't copying Apple.

HTC isn't copying Apple.

OMG, icons on the bottom. MS was doing that in the 90's. just like the split screen email thing

• Reply 70 of 171

That is my argument, you simply have no answer for it, so you resort to this.

Nothing can be stolen from 'open source'. My answer is that jailbroken iPhones had it first, and from them Apple got its implementation and code, but if you cared whatsoever about the actual argument, you'd know that.

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

OMG, icons on the bottom. MS was doing that in the 90's. just like the split screen email thing

Guess who wasn't doing it and making it look like that. Wild guess.

• Reply 71 of 171

Quote:

Nothing can be stolen from 'open source'. My answer is that jailbroken iPhones had it first, but if you cared whatsoever about the actual argument, you'd know that.

What kind of an argument is this? Is your argument not that Android doesn't invent, and takes everything from Apple? Does that mean that it is OK for Apple to take something from Android, just because it's open? Design cues, UI and all?

You don't think that's hypocritical?

The Notification Shade is an integral part of Android, and it was present in 1.0. There was no such thing in a jailbroken iPhone before that, it was added as a feature when someone said, "You know, that makes a lot of sense" and implemented a solution mimicking it.

• Reply 72 of 171

What kind of an argument is this? Is your argument not that Android doesn't invent, and takes everything from Apple? Does that mean that it is OK for Apple to take something from Android, just because it's open? Design cues, UI and all?

Edited my post. 

• Reply 73 of 171
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

All of these no talent Android makers need to be taken out. Apple should go after every single one of them that is found to be infringing upon any of Apple's patents.

I'd rather not see Apple license out any of their patents. I don't believe that Apple's touchscreen patents are FRAND, and in that case, Apple is under no obligation to license any of them to the no talent and freeloading, criminally minded Android crowd. Apple can simply say, "No, fcuk you, you sleazy ripoff artists.", and that's the end of the story. Any Android maker that defies Apple can and should be crushed in court for their violations and disregard for the law.

Android users should not be able to "pinch to zoom", Android users should not be able to have "bounce back" and they shouldn't get to use any other Apple patents and ideas either. Let the bums figure out their own way of doing things.

• Reply 74 of 171
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Is that the way you think? How easy for The Telco and Apple to dupe you, or, rather, how lazy it is for you to calculate the real cost of owning a new Iphone. Hypothetically speaking, say you had spend USD 200 with a tied in 2 year contract for an Iphone 4 which actually costs only USD 600. Assuming you are going for the USD 75 per month plan from the Telco of your choice, you'd have spend [24 X 75] + 200 = USD 2000 for an Iphone 4. Had you bought your Iphone 4 unlocked, you  would spend USD 600 + whatever comparable pay-as-you-go plan which I think probably about USD 40 per month, so your total cost of owning an unlocked Iphone 4 is [24 X 40] + USD 600 = USD 1560.

So, the amount USD 2000 - USD 1560 = USD 440 is the amount of money flying from your pocket to your Telco's hand.  And then, you said you would repeat this same cycle again to get the new Iphone?  It's like saying you want to sell the Iphone 4 which you bought for USD 600 + USD 440 = USD 1040 for merely USD 300 [a whopping 71 % loss in value in just two short years] to pay for a new Iphone which will again tie you up to a new contract for  two money-flying-out-of-your-pocket years. I wouldn't say what you are suggesting people to do as a "smart" move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why toss out the old phone when you can sell it for and get the new phone without coming out of pocket?

• Reply 75 of 171
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

A lil' off topic but CNET is pimping Samsung's Gallery Note 2 today. 

http://asia.cnet.com/product/samsung-galaxy-note-2-46728194.htm

When I voted "Not for me" in the poll CNET presented a dialogue box offering "Change your Vote?" When I clicked "No Thanks" the vote didn't register.

:/

• Reply 76 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

All of these no talent Android makers need to be taken out. Apple should go after every single one of them that is found to be infringing upon any of Apple's patents.

I'd rather not see Apple license out any of their patents. I don't believe that Apple's touchscreen patents are FRAND, and in that case, Apple is under no obligation to license any of them to the no talent and freeloading, criminally minded Android crowd. Apple can simply say, "No, fcuk you, you sleazy ripoff artists.", and that's the end of the story. Any Android maker that defies Apple can and should be crushed in court for their violations and disregard for the law.

Android users should not be able to "pinch to zoom", Android users should not be able to have "bounce back" and they shouldn't get to use any other Apple patents and ideas either. Let the bums figure out their own way of doing things.

You can kiss the Notification Shade goodbye, then.

What about all of the patents owned on other technology that has not been brought to bear against Apple? Have you considered how much Apple may be infringing on themselves, but simply haven't been sued against?

• Reply 77 of 171

What about all of the patents owned on other technology that has not been brought to bear against Apple? Have you considered how much Apple may be infringing on themselves, but simply haven't been sued against?

Well, now that these others have some strong legal precedent on which to base their cases, we should be seeing those lawsuits anytime.

Because when a single woman in a promiscuous dress in an Apple Store can sue Apple for $10 million, you'd think other companies would want to jump on the $100 billion bandwagon. That is, if they were actually infringing.

• Reply 78 of 171
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

You can kiss the Notification Shade goodbye, then.

If anybody believes that they have any legitimate claims against Apple, then I'll repeat what I've said countless times in the past, let them sue.

• Reply 79 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I'm absolutely serious.

Why are consumers forced to use a proprietary OS on a mobile phone? Dual core, quad core SoCs, GB(s) of RAM and GB(s) of storage.

Would you buy a MacBook if you knew that you'd be stuck on Mountain Lion and never able to upgrade? It's your laptop. You can install whatever you want on it. 

Our current model doesn't support this, and every two years, as contracts expire, we toss cell phones out the door and go buy a new model on contract. It's tremendously wasteful and completely unnecessary.

The only problem with your argument is that you have it backwards.

While iOS is proprietary, there are regular upgrades - both for bug fixes and major releases with new functionality. Apple has done extremely well at supporting past phones - and you can even install the current OS on the 3 year old iPhone 3GS.

Android, OTOH, while it is open source and supposedly non-proprietary, has a dismal history of upgrade availability. While some phones are currently available with version 4.x, many phones that you buy are still shipping with 2.2. And very few of them will ever have upgrades available if history is any indication.

So your argument that proprietary OSs are inferior because of upgradeability is just plain wrong.
  • Reply 80 of 171
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

HTC isn't copying Apple.

HTC isn't copying Apple.

zOmg that looks JUST LIKE AN iMAC!  Everyone in your lawsuit gear ASAP.  

Can't wait to see what the evangelicals say when Apple finally gets around to adding some sort of widget functionality to iOS.