'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Berp View Post

...a beloved moderator who, post a fit of rage, gets to watch the turmoil...in a wee smaller format...

Abject nonsense.

• Reply 42 of 121
    strixstrix Posts: 22member

You obviously didn't choose the most popular pubs!

Over here in UK pubs sharing on phones internet content is something that many people do but not one at which the not so large Apple phones excel but the likes of Shamesung do.

However something which is not just an e-book reader but copies the abilities of the existing iPad3 but in a smaller format would be a winner on many different levels.

It has to said looking at comments/criticisms on the various sites about the size of the rumoured iPhone 5 and worries about it fitting into a "pocket" amuse me in that, knowing America ( and CA in particular), what they mean is trouser/pants pockets. Here, UK/Northern Europe, when we talk about pockets we mean jackets (think wet/cold weather gear) which have the capacity to accommodate such a device and with such a device it could keep us amused on our daily commute or lunchtime trip to the pub/cafe/fast salmonella outfit!

• Reply 43 of 121
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But Apple hasn't historically been a niche company. They'll build a dart big enough to hit 70% of the dartboard, chuck it, and let it stick where it is. It either falls off or stays up and everyone else's smaller darts fill in the rest. Apple doesn't make a dumb phone, they don't make an el cheapo tower in fifty configurations, they don't make a 24" iMac in between the 21.5" and 27"

Again, tell that to the shuffle, nano, mini, and iPod. And to the 11", 13", 15" and (formerly) 17" MBP. And to the 21" and 27" iMac.

The point being that they WILL build to hit a niche if they believe it's wanted and if they believe they can build a quality product that fills that need.

• Reply 44 of 121
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I want to see Apple continue to build upon its economies of scale so that it can produce the best products for the lowest price and highest margins. 

They do. And that's why they're still selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. The easiest way to build upon economies of scale is to keep building a lot more of what you already know how to build...

• Reply 45 of 121
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

There are three different size MB's and two different size iMacs. What you lack in imagination and vision you make up for in quips, I guess. But a fast tongue and self assurance does not make you right. After a while it tends to make you something else, though. 

• Reply 46 of 121

Originally Posted by Strix View Post

You obviously didn't choose the most popular pubs!

…comments/criticisms on the various sites about the size of the rumored iPhone 5 and worries about it fitting into a "pocket" amuse me… Here, UK/Northern Europe, when we talk about pockets we mean jackets…

You're absolutely right, I did specifically choose out of the way pubs rather than potential tourist locations. And your perspective is interesting. Maybe this thing would sell best where it's always winter…

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Again, tell that to the shuffle, nano, mini, and iPod. And to the 11", 13", 15" and (formerly) 17" MBP. And to the 21" and 27" iMac.

Listing off products does not an argument make. I recently explained what I'm talking about, but I forget what thread that was in.

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There are three different size MB's and two different size iMacs. What you lack in imagination and vision you make up for in quips, I guess. But a fast tongue and self assurance does not make you right. After a while it tends to make you something else, though. 

Also missed the post I made explaining that, eh?

• Reply 47 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Quote:

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

Beauty of purpose is in the eyes of the beholder.

A son handling with ease a 'luminous' rectangle the size of his dad's slightly overblown frontal cortex... A grandma gathering with one trembling hand the embezzling pictures of her granddaughter while holding her steady and securely on her lap...

...a beloved moderator who, post a fit of rage, gets to watch the turmoil...in a wee smaller format...

My... what an interesting way of expressing your thoughts...

• Reply 48 of 121

Quote:

Also missed the post I made explaining that, eh?

No - but it makes no difference. I was referring to your inability to envisage scenarios where a smaller form factor might be as good or better.

• Reply 49 of 121
    strixstrix Posts: 22member

Tallest Skil, Jonny Ive went to Newcastle Polytechnic (where I went to University) and he would appreciate the idea of some pocketable device having been educated in such a dire environment (pax Geordies!).

Summer in Newcastle, it is believed, exists for few days between the end of the summer University/Polytechnic term/semester and the start of the Autumn/fall one.

Never saw it, even after 6 years there.

• Reply 50 of 121

I have been thinking about this since the rumors started.  I would like to try a smaller tablet form factor to see if it is useful.  I thought that the B&N Tablet was a better-spec'd device than the Amazon device.  However, lacking any specific need for it, I never would consider buying a non-Apple small(er) tablet.

We each have our own iPad, so if the iPad Mini looks good, and is priced right, I'll buy one and see what the family thinks!

That's one of the benefits of being an AAPL shareholder... the appreciation in value helps pay for new Apple toys... which, in turn, helps AAPL appreciate in value.

• Reply 51 of 121

and what is so great about these devices being thin.  my ipad is hard to hold because it's too thin.  but it's the first thing every reviewer talks about.  what a pile, it's a non-benefit and hardly a feature worth mentioning.  make them a 1/8 thicker and extreme battery life.  easier to hold. both for the ipad (which i use hours every day) and the iphone.

• Reply 52 of 121

Summer in Newcastle, it is believed, exists for few days between the end of the summer University/Polytechnic term/semester and the start of the Autumn/fall one.

Never saw it, even after 6 years there.

I love British Isles weather stories.

• Reply 53 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.

If anything would be a result of a doubling down of security, it's all this "confirmed" information about a product that was never going to exist in the first place. Leak one thing to one place, another thing to another. Then fire everyone when something on the list leaks out.

Yes, this sounds ENTIRELY plausible. Entirely.

Incredible the levels of self delusion and irrationality that some can go to when they don't want to believe in something. I imagine apple has better things to do with their time than to go to such lengths to do something like this, which would do nothing but hurt them as people start anticipating a product that is never released. It's happening. And by the looks of it, Apple is pushing the envelope once again. Deal with it and move on.
  • Reply 54 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    But Apple hasn't historically been a niche company. They'll build a dart big enough to hit 70% of the dartboard, chuck it, and let it stick where it is. It either falls off or stays up and everyone else's smaller darts fill in the rest. Apple doesn't make a dumb phone, they don't make an el cheapo tower in fifty configurations, they don't make a 24" iMac in between the 21.5" and 27", they don't make a 32" iMac for those crazy peeps, they don't make a twice-the-height Mac Mini with a swappable half-length PCIe slot… 

What a silly argument.

They currently sell 2 different sized iMacs (with substantial configurability).
    They currently sell 2 different sized MacBook Airs.
    They currently sell 3 different sized MacBook Pros (more if you count the retina displays as different devices).
    They currently sell 4 different sizes of iPods.

How do you conclude from those facts that they could only sell one size of iPad?
  • Reply 55 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

and what is so great about these devices being thin.  my ipad is hard to hold because it's too thin.  but it's the first thing every reviewer talks about.  what a pile, it's a non-benefit and hardly a feature worth mentioning.  make them a 1/8 thicker and extreme battery life.  easier to hold. both for the ipad (which i use hours every day) and the iphone.

But that would make them heavier and harder to hold.

• Reply 56 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.

If anything would be a result of a doubling down of security, it's all this "confirmed" information about a product that was never going to exist in the first place. Leak one thing to one place, another thing to another. Then fire everyone when something on the list leaks out.

Incredible the levels of self delusion and irrationality that some can go to when they don't want to believe in something. I imagine apple has better things to do with their time than to go to such lengths to do something like this, which would do nothing but hurt them as people start anticipating a product that is never released. It's happening. And by the looks of it, Apple is pushing the envelope once again. Deal with it and move on.
  • Reply 57 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

He knows but needed a new way to say the same thing he's been saying for weeks.  

• Reply 58 of 121

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Incredible the levels of self delusion and irrationality that some can go to when they don't want to believe in something.

Like the people that say these leaked pictures aren't of the next iPhone because they refuse to believe Apple would use the same design again. image

…do nothing but hurt them as people start anticipating a product that is never released.

Yeah, that's never happened before.

It's happening.

Someone better tell M. Night Shyamalan that we can speak with certainty of the future.

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How do you conclude from those facts that they could only sell one size of iPad?

I don't, and I didn't. 

• Reply 59 of 121
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You are beginning to sound like 'the iPad is just a toy / big iPod' brigade from post iPad launch. Embrace the rumour, even if it's not true.

There, that looks better.

• Reply 60 of 121
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Lugging an iPad, wonderful as one is, is too much of a problem and also a little irritating/obtrusive to those alongside you.

A good cigar will help with this, if you are irritating/obtrusive enough, they will go away.

/s