'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

There, that looks better.

Ah, I'm having a laugh at the past right now.

Funny how the iPad mini and the thought of a ~7" screen device has received the exact same predictions as the product referenced in these posts: 

Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

OK… no-one has said it yet so ! ! !F A K E! ! !

other than that, ... ummm your all idiots its ACTUALLY an Apple TV remote!

see... now the thread is complete 

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

The iPhone is too big even for my big hands.

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I fail to see how making a smaller one would make the device significantly cheaper. If anything, wouldn't it make it more expensive? Plus it makes touch interaction much more difficult as the buttons are presumably smaller.

Follow the links (they're different articles) to see what product that was.

Props to you, hill60, for that "scissors and glue" comment (not quoted here). image

• Reply 62 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ewtheckman wrote: »
    Are you prepared to eat a truckload of crow if (IMHO, when) Apple announces an iPad Mini?

I must admit I'm starting to see it makes since after initially doubting. Why not take on Amazon and the rest in the small tablet market? I doubt it will impact iPad full size sales.
  • Reply 63 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Someone better tell M. Night Shyamalan that we can speak with certainty of the future.

*Sigh* Your quips get old. I say it's happening because there's been far too much evidence that it is. I don't need to be a damn fortune-teller. Just being attentive to the signs, and using some common sense. Anyway, history will decide who's right, and we'll find out soon enough. And I expect at least an apology if you're wrong, as well as many other people on this forum, because I believe we sincerely deserve it after all you've posted about the matter. 

PS- The existence of the 11" Macbook Air completely destroys your premise of why a smaller ipad wouldnt be made. The smaller Air is not better at anything, it's simply smaller, lighter, and cheaper. For some, including me, the screensize is too small and cramped for a desktop OS. However, Apple made the decision to create it because they believed that the niche was big enough to fill. I'm not pat of that niche. I wouldn't buy it. But that doesn't mean I believe Apple shouldn't have made it. The iPad scenario is IDENTICAL. The niche it would fill is much larger than that of the 11" Air, not to mention being potentially a MUCH more popular product. Your arguments have no legs to stand on based on Apple's history. 

• Reply 64 of 121

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I say it's happening because there's been far too much evidence that it is. I don't need to be a damn fortune-teller. Just being attentive to the signs, and using some common sense.

There was far too much evidence that an iPhone nano was happening, as well. My common sense told me it wouldn't, and it didn't. 

And I expect at least an apology if you're wrong, as well as many other people on this forum, because I believe we sincerely deserve it after all you've posted about the matter. 

Nah.

• Reply 65 of 121
    strix wrote: »
    Tallest Skil, Jonny Ive went to Newcastle Polytechnic (where I went to University) and he would appreciate the idea of some pocketable device having been educated in such a dire environment (pax Geordies!).
    Summer in Newcastle, it is believed, exists for few days between the end of the summer University/Polytechnic term/semester and the start of the Autumn/fall one.
    Never saw it, even after 6 years there.

Hello fellow alumnus ... I too attended Newcastle for my degrees and beer training .... (hello Gosforth folk club) ... both Uni and Poly, my best mate did the same industrial design course as Jonny although he was into yellow, triangular, vac formed cello bodies ... I have to concur, I never witnessed a summer in Geordie Land. I'd go to Greece or Spain for two weeks and when I returned to Newcastle I was always informed I'd missed summer!
  • Reply 66 of 121
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I've said this to you before so probably you just don't buy it, but ... for those of us that type a lot on our iPads, but don't use external keyboards (not a small group actually), the iPad mini would have a much improved (thumb) typing experience.  

My bet is that the iPad mini will mostly be marketed as a lighter more portable version of the regular iPad.  That's the sales point.  

Again, for those of us that actually use them day in and day out to get real work done, we will benefit from the lighter, and thinner format.  These two aspects of the design alone are more than enough to sell the iPad mini.  When you add in the fact that it's the perfect "kids iPad" and that it will also be (presumably) a lot cheaper, it will undoubtedly be a bigger seller than the original.  

I expect sales to take off like a rocket once it's released.  

Please don't feed the moderator!  image

• Reply 67 of 121
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

I have my own purpose for the iPad mini which you would not be interested in but perhaps there is a purpose for the iPad mini that you might have difficulty in arguing against: They will sell millions of them. How can that be bad for your beloved Apple?

Quote:

That's why I don't see the iPad mini being a good product and why I initially didn't believe they'd ever do it (they wouldn't have ever done it under Steve). When Steve said the iPad was an "in-between" product, he wasn't claiming that Apple was going to fill all the perceived "cracks" in a lineup of products. 

Honestly, I don't know why you even attempt to make any rational arguments when this is the crux of your opinion. You should just stick with 'Steve said' because all logic points in another direction to an overwhelming popularity of the upcoming iPad mini. If it does not materialize within the next few months then perhaps you do have your finger on the pulse of Apple. We shall see soon enough because if Apple does not release a competitive device to the Nexus 7 within a few months they will have lost that battle and will have huge problem on their hands in my opinion.

• Reply 68 of 121

I myself find it difficult to read things on the iPhone 4 so a 7" tablet would be ideal.  who knows, maybe they'll discontinue the iPod Touch and replace it with a 6 or 7" tablet/iPod.  I always thought the iPod Touch should be a 5" screen anyway so it parts more difference away from an iPhone and adds more value with the bigger screen.  Kill two birds with one stone.  Do I think Apple would do that, nope I don't.  

• Reply 69 of 121
    fazzter wrote: »
         Please don't feed the moderator!  :lol:

There is only one?
  • Reply 70 of 121

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Honestly, I don't know why you even attempt to make any rational arguments when this is the crux of your opinion. You should just stick with 'Steve said' because all logic points in another direction to an overwhelming popularity of the upcoming iPad mini. If it does not materialize within the next few months then perhaps you do have your finger on the pulse of Apple. We shall see soon enough because if Apple does not release a competitive device to the Nexus 7 within a few months they will have lost that battle and will have huge problem on their hands in my opinion.

Of course. Mhmm.

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There is only one?

Only one they hate, at least.

• Reply 71 of 121
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

On general principles, I agree with Tallest Skil on the iPad mini, although I would not necessarily agree with a few of his points. I would suggest that there is more sense in a larger iPod touch, with a screen size about 6" diag. It would still fit trouser pockets, and be comfortable in jacket pockets. I would also look to a lessened stricture against "pens" in that there is a substantial group of users for whom such would be highly desirable, such as artists and scribblers. It would also benefit those with physical infirmities for whom finger poking is difficult.

Cheers

• Reply 72 of 121
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

considering how large cell phones have been in the past I don't see that as impossible. Certainly people would look funny with a 7" iPad held to their heads. How ever this is a new age we have other choices like ear buds, and Bluetooth devices.

Many use skype on the ipad.  There must be some sort of utility in it...

• Reply 73 of 121
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kuo's note issued Friday also claimed that Apple plans to update its current iPad with Retina display this fall,

Perhaps I'm confused, but doesn't the current iPad already have Retina?

• Reply 74 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Good catch. I think that was meant to say 'update to the mini dock connector'.

• Reply 75 of 121

Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

That sentence is a little ambiguous, but it's saying that the current iPad that happens to have a retina display is also rumored to get an update this fall.

I think that's nonsense, since the only reason for the rumor is the belief that all iDevices are getting Dock Connector 2 at the same time, but that's me.

• Reply 76 of 121
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Only one they hate, at least.
    Aawwww . ...
  • Reply 77 of 121

I don't really get the point of an "iPad Mini" myself.  Without seeing the actual device though, I think it would be too wide to fit in any pocket outside of a large coat pocket (and even then it would have to be a very large coat pocket), especially with the added bulk of most cases out there (outside of something like a smart cover).  I guess it would probably fit in a man-purse or large hand-bag, but when you approach screen sizes larger than the largest cell phones, I think putting it in a pocket is out the window.  At that point you would either carry it or put it in a back-pack/laptop case, which you would do with a regular iPad anyway.  So the only reasons I see for a Mini are: 1) Price, it they come in around $250, and 2) to have a dog in the 7 inch Android arena.  I personally would rather save up the extra $150 for a generation old iPad, but that's me.  It's not going to bother me if they do come out with one, just curious why.  I would rather they come out with a larger (wider and taller) phone.  With all of the voice-recognition, face-time, and blue-tooth functionality, the iPhone does not need to be that small and narrow for complete one-hand operation anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to approach Galaxy Note dimensions, but a little wider and taller wouldn't hurt.  Just my $0.02.

• Reply 78 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I don't really get the point of an "iPad Mini" myself.  

There are as many reason to own one as not to own one. I will definitely buy one as long as it has cellular. Without that I agree with you there is no point. The 10 inch iPad is too big to comfortably put in a day pack along with lunch and other items. There is just something entirely awkward with that large device in a small pack. Sure it fits, just barely, but certainly not conveniently. It is also too big to use in a crowded mass transit situation. A mini iPad does not replace a regular iPad, but is simply an alternative in certain situations. I have never taken my iPad on my commute however I imagine I will take the iPad mini with me everyday.

• Reply 79 of 121
    That sentence is a little ambiguous, but it's saying that the current iPad that happens to have a retina display is also rumored to get an update this fall.

I think that's nonsense, since the only reason for the rumor is the belief that all iDevices are getting Dock Connector 2 at the same time, but that's me.

I could see an iPad with the new connector, more memory, the rumored A6 processor, a bit thinner, with better battery life. But really, how much more could they change it? Software is where the real room for innovation is.

Based on typical rumors and timeframes, I wouldn't expect that prior to early 2013.
  • Reply 80 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There are as many reason to own one as not to own one. I will definitely buy one as long as it has cellular. Without that I agree with you there is no point. The 10 inch iPad is too big to comfortably put in a day pack along with lunch and other items. There is just something entirely awkward with that large device in a small pack. Sure it fits, just barely, but certainly not conveniently. It is also too big to use in a crowded mass transit situation. A mini iPad does not replace a regular iPad, but is simply an alternative in certain situations. I have never taken my iPad on my commute however I imagine I will take the iPad mini with me everyday.

Just curious, but what type of pack are you referring to size wise?  The only ones I am familiar with are the shoulder bags (purses, laptop cases etc), and backpacks which are much larger than the iPad itself.  I don't use mass transit such as a train, but they seem fine on a bus. However, if you are cramped for space, then smaller would be better I guess, and if you are used to reading on an iPhone, then a Mini would definitely help in that regard.  Regarding cellular, are you referring to phone capabilities, internet or both?  If I had a Kindle or Nook e-reader, perhaps I could better understand how people transport them and get the appeal of a smaller device.  Either way, if they make one, they make one.  Nothing to get bent out of shape over.  The only downside I see is all of the Nexus 7, and Kindle Fire fans trying to turn this into some sort of "Apple is scared" b.s. because they relented on the size.  No skin off of Apple's nose financially, but as tiresome to read as the whole notification shade comments.