New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new video out of this week's IFA consumer electronics show claims to be the first to have captured a fully assembled iPhone 5, though a closer inspection of the footage instead points to one of the more realistic mockups to date.

GSM Israel says it stumbled upon the device at the booth of a third party accessory maker during its normal tour of the IFA show floor in Berlin on Saturday. The device in the video appears fairly similar to the dozens of earlier leaked enclosures said to represent the new iPhone.

The two-tone silver and white handset sports finely brushed aluminum edges and buttons, a larger 4-inch display screen, and what would appear to be a fully-assembled mini Dock Connector and rear-facing camera module.

However, the surface of the device produces reflections similar to what you'd expect from a synthetic material, rather than the traditional iPhone Gorilla glass, suggesting its almost certainly a well-crafted mockup based of leaked parts and schematics.

Similar mockups of the second-generation iPad made headlines back in January of 2012 when they were spotted at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, just weeks before Apple took the wraps off the slimmer tablet.

iPhone 5 Mockup

iPhone 5 Mockup

iPhone 5 Mockup

iPhone 5 Mockup

iPhone 5 Mockup

iPhone 5 Mockup

iPhone 5 Mockup

AppleInsider also analyzed a high-quality version of the video and discovered further reasons to doubt the device is an authentic iPhone 5. For instance, a close up of the markings on the rear of the handset read "Model NO. A1303," which was a model number Apple already used for the iPhone 3GS. Its FCC ID of "BCGA1303A" was also the FCC ID for the iPhone 3GS.

Nevertheless, the mockup in the video offers one of the best visual examples yet of what Apple's new iPhone is expected to look like when it makes its debut on September 12th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 159

FAKE! Aside from the ID numbers and stuff, the camera hole is not centered in that terrible circle around it! And the white design is terrible, the actual white on top is off yellow...I hate it. The black mockups are beautiful. I guess I'll be getting a nice Speck Candyshell case for this one.
  • Reply 2 of 159
    Nice mockup but clearly not the fit and finish I'd expect from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 159
    Where are all these mock parts coming from??? Supplier leaks? Or is someone fabricating them for the express purpose of riding the rumor mill gravy train?
  • Reply 4 of 159
    When I see that cludge of holes either side of the dock . . .
    I just don't see the hand of Jony Ive.

Is there another Apple product with holes like that ?

Perhaps he was inspired by a shower radio . . . or a pepper pot.

Strange 'leak' this one.
  • Reply 5 of 159

Fake or not, there'll be no surprises come September 12th. I do wish there would be a super-secret "One More Thing..." unveil at one of these events -- a real surprise that hasn't been spoiled by every tech blog months beforehand.

• Reply 6 of 159

So summarizing of what to expect in 11 days:

The Good:

--------------

LTE

Scratch resistant glass

18% thinner (7.6mm / 9.3 mm)

18% larger screen (1136/960 assuming same pixel size)

The Bad:

-------------

8% longer case (124mm/115mm)

No NFC

The Ugly:

-------------

Fat bezels (a lot of wasted space at the top and bottom)

The sticky hardware Home button just does not go away (is this a "crisis of design" right here?)

Worth upgrade from iPhone 4? I am still on the fence... Need more info on a battery life.
  • Reply 7 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

So summarizing of what to expect in 11 days:

The Good:

--------------

LTE

If that's true, Samsung is going to be all over Apple's backside.

Not like it'll matter, this mock-up looks like an Android phone to begin with.

• Reply 8 of 159

Thanks for not turning it on, douchebag.

• Reply 9 of 159

Not worth showing

• Reply 10 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

Thanks for not turning it on, douchebag.

I'm pretty sure this is a hardware kitbash, and not an actual next-gen iPhone smuggled out of Cupertino. If the thing did have power, the screen might light up, but it wouldn't have iOS installed.

• Reply 11 of 159
    sricesrice Posts: 120member

Quote:

If that's true, Samsung is going to be all over Apple's backside.

LOL! I sure hope Samsung tries to beat-up Apple with LTE FRAND licenses.  It'll be nice to see: 1. Anti-Trust investigations against Samsung 2. Korean companies being politely asked to leave all standards bodies.

• Reply 12 of 159

it`s ugly.... i actualy think these leaks are made by group of fandroids because i think every apple fan see that phone is little bit too much in favor of android phones.

In app store is over 700 000 apps and only god know how many downloads. No one has yet optimized for 9 by 16 and also why should apple throw 700 000 + apps out of window ?

Why not make thiner bezel on sides and make it about 3-4 milimeters taller for preserve that nice thick bezel on top and bottom (yeah i like that and after experiencing SGS 3 i like that even more), this is way i think apple will do it if they want fit a bigger screen.

• Reply 13 of 159
    Double down security team... Fired
  • Reply 14 of 159
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

All of these leaks are obviously coming from somewhere, and the lousy and unreliable workers who are responsible need to be punished and fired. The overall security at Foxconn plants and other plants that are producing parts for Apple is obviously far from acceptable. They're a joke!

I've said something similar to this before, but they should do full strip searches of everybody entering and leaving the plants. No cell phones w/cameras allowed and everybody should be checked when leaving work to make sure that they don't sneak any parts out with them. They should all have to walk through x-ray machines and be subject to body searches, just like at the airport. There are moles working there and they must be eliminated. If somebody smart and capable was in charge of security, nobody on the internet would have a freaking clue as to what the next iPhone would look like.

A few ignorant people worry about the wages at Foxconn plants, even though the wages there are very good, it's far more important to worry about the security at these plants which assembles goods for Apple.

• Reply 15 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jusephe wrote: »
    it`s ugly.... i actualy think these leaks are made by group of fandroids because i think every apple fan see that phone is little bit too much in favor of android phones.

In app store is over 700 000 apps and only god know how many downloads. No one has yet optimized for 9 by 16 and also why should apple throw 700 000 + apps out of window ?

Why not make thiner bezel on sides and make it about 3-4 milimeters taller for preserve that nice thick bezel on top and bottom (yeah i like that and after experiencing SGS 3 i like that even more), this is way i think apple will do it if they want fit a bigger screen.

Why wouldn't the apps work? iPhone apps worked on the iPad out of the box and that was not only a different resolution on both axes but a different PPI. What makes the 1126x640 rumour so believable is that Apple is using the exact same pixel density and only changing the resolution along one axis. You not only get iPhone apps that be pixel perfect between new and old devices but will make it very easy for most developers to take advantage of the new resolution, assuming they've been following the guidelines Apple put in place years prior.

I have no idea what you mean by your last paragraph. I don't think you can reasonably make the side bezels 3-4 mm smaller. Is the glass even that thick on the sides? I also don't understand why you'd want the forehead and chin to be larger. Really?
  • Reply 16 of 159
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Why wouldn't the apps work? iPhone apps worked on the iPad out of the box and that was not only a different resolution on both axes but a different PPI. What makes the 1126x640 rumour so believable is that Apple is using the exact same pixel density and only changing the resolution along one axis. You not only get iPhone apps that be pixel perfect between new and old devices but will make it very easy for most developers to take advantage of the new resolution, assuming they've been following the guidelines Apple put in place years prior.

I imagine some apps might be able to fill the screen without distortions when there are GUI elements that fill the space available, much like how desktop apps manage to work with arbitrary window sizes. I would expect untested apps would just be pillarboxed.
  • Reply 17 of 159
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Good mockup. It even has the slightly raised faceplate, extending past the metal, which has been hard to spot in some leaks (because they don’t show the glass installed).

• Reply 18 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srice View Post

LOL! I sure hope Samsung tries to beat-up Apple with LTE FRAND licenses.  It'll be nice to see: 1. Anti-Trust investigations against Samsung 2. Korean companies being politely asked to leave all standards bodies.

Those patents aren't FRAND, chief.

• Reply 19 of 159

The font for the "iPhone" lettering is completely wrong.  It should be Myriad Pro.  The other text looks wrong too.

This is what the back of a REAL iPhone looks like

• Reply 20 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Double down security team... Fired

That's not a leak, it's a copy!

Legal team... Hired